PDA

View Full Version : Now follow him Rod (merged)

Captain Trips
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Hope he doesnt think that sacking CC makes his role in this entire sorry last 2yrs any less, total disaster it has been and he should be nowhere near being involved in the next appointment. The whole board needs restructured, I am not interested in the board going out to get a manager and continue on, their manager has failed yet again, they have failed yet again time to go, now please.

Saorsa
06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Now follow him Rod :agree: :top marks

Cropley10
06-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Completey agree - the idea that they've sat down and come up with FJK as the next manager shows how little they know. Shameful IMHO.

down the slope
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Rod should be nowhere near the selection process, is enough not enough ?.

MontrealHibs
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Here is a reminder why our an eejit...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibs_reject_163_300k_offer_for_manager_colin_calde rwood_1_1714544

nortonhibby
06-11-2011, 06:06 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/hibs_reject_163_300k_offer_for_manager_colin_calde rwood_1_1714544

yip its time to go RP Move on :taxi

SquashedFrogg
06-11-2011, 06:17 PM

What I like about this statement is Rankin's statement.

"What I learnt at Hibs - how not to do it, says aspiring coach John Rankin" :faf:

The guy's a bawbag. The only player ever to get grumpy with my 9 year old son when asked for an autograph. In fact he was 7 at the time, outside the stadium at 2pm on a cold and miserable day. I walked up to him (as I did every other player that day) and said, " excuse me, would you sign the programme for my boy?" (standing next to me) He replied "eh, if I have too, I will" FFS!

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I am hoping the sacking of CC has not done as intended and taken your eye off the ball - PETRIE MUST GO. The management of the club at board level is what should be questioned and debated this week, not who should succeed CC. We need a change at the top before things get even worse.

nortonhibby
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I am hoping the sacking of CC has not done as intended and taken your eye off the ball - PETRIE MUST GO. The management of the club at board level is what should be questioned and debated this week, not who should succeed CC. We need a change at the top before things get even worse.

RP MUST GO:flag:

greenlex
06-11-2011, 08:27 PM

No we don't.

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I think punting RP would be very hasty....lets not forget the things that have been done right in previous years.....(i won't restate the obvious)

HOWEVER given the re-structuring of the club into its 2 divisions then the major voice in appointing next man should be the head of football operations and not RP...otherwise why have that role and responsibility

down the slope
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
No we don't.

Yes we do, remember this is the man who was impressed by CC at an interview !!!.

greenlex
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes we do, remember this is the man who was impressed by CC at an interview !!!.

We're you there likes?

bighairyfaeleith
06-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Oh right, so who next for chairman then?

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
No we don't.

Seriously? Why?

gorgie_harp
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Now follow him Rod :agree: :top marks

:flag::flag::flag::agree:

down the slope
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
We're you there likes?

Well somebody was there when he was interviewed , are you telling me it wasn't Petrie ?. If it wasn't him then he did a good job of supporting the choice in the summer and making a complete ere of himself.

down the slope
06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Well somebody was there when he was interviewed , are you telling me it wasn't Petrie ?. If it wasn't him then he did a good job of supporting the choice in the summer and making a complete ere of himself.
That should be erse !, chance of a good comeback greenlex

Thecat23
06-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Petrie was on SSN saying how impressed he was with CC. So i'm with you, he needs to go.

Thecat23
06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
We're you there likes?

You not watch the interview when he was appointed Lex? Petire and i quote... "I'm very impressed with what Colin had to say and where he wants to take the club".

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 08:54 PM
There needs to be a serious debate regarding the future of the Hibernian board before a new first team manager is even discussed. BB can't do a worse job in the short term so let us use this time to instigate some movement with a vote of no confidence in the current board of directors.

greenlex
06-11-2011, 08:55 PM

My point is no one other than the people there can possibly know how the interview went. He must have impressed to get the gig. He must have impressed enough to have been hired no? Maybe Petrie andthe board are all Jambos and trying to **** it up at every chance. Are you saying he didn't impress and they hired him anyway?

greenlex
06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
You not watch the interview when he was appointed Lex? Petire and i quote... "I'm very impressed with what Colin had to say and where he wants to take the club".

Aye I saw it. So what?
Do you think he didn't impress and Petrie thought I know I'll employ this joker and fire him in a year and that will endear me to those pesky fans. Who knows if I get the chance to knock back some cash for him in the summer all the better that will be brilliant.

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
My point is no one other than the people there can possibly know how the interview went. He must have impressed to get the gig. He must have impressed enough to have been hired no? Maybe Petrie andthe board are all Jambos and trying to **** it up at every chance. Are you saying he didn't impress and they hired him anyway?

Same as some of the underperforming players who have been failing to live up to their billing and wages......:rolleyes:

greenlex
06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Same as some of the underperforming players who have been failing to live up to their billing and wages......:rolleyes:

No argument here DTS.

scuttle
06-11-2011, 09:19 PM
The man has worked wonders at Hibs. reduced the debt considerably ,built the training complex and gave us a stadium to be proud of. People are slating him for the managers he has chosen but most of us on these forums wanted Mixu, Yogi etc. If he is culpable of anything it was not backing John Collins when the players went running to him behind JC back .He has given Calderwood every chance at Hibs and now has acted at the right time. We are maybe poor on the park at the moment but are the envy of most SPL clubs. With the yams and one half of the bigot brothers about to self destruct we must stick with Petrie and his business accumen and if he gets it right this time and unearths another Tony Mowbry we will be on the rise again

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh right, so who next for chairman then?

Nortonhibby!!!

R'Albin
06-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Nortonhibby!!!

:agree::greengrin

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
The man has worked wonders at Hibs. reduced the debt considerably ,built the training complex and gave us a stadium to be proud of. People are slating him for the managers he has chosen but most of us on these forums wanted Mixu, Yogi etc. If he is culpable of anything it was not backing John Collins when the players went running to him behind JC back .He has given Calderwood every chance at Hibs and now has acted at the right time. We are maybe poor on the park at the moment but are the envy of most SPL clubs. With the yams and one half of the bigot brothers about to self destruct we must stick with Petrie and his business accumen and if he gets it right this time and unearths another Tony Mowbry we will be on the rise again

Hibs have struggled to pull themselves away from the bottom of the SPL since Colin Calderwood took over exactly a year ago
HIBS have posted a loss of £900,000 for the year ending July 2011 - the first time in seven years they have failed to break even.
With the club's debt now standing at £5.9million and attendances dropping alarmingly - only 8513 turned up to watch them lose to Motherwell on Saturday - the Easter Road board faces a stormy AGM on November 8.
Chairman Rod Petrie insisted displays have contributed to the disappointing results but refused to point the finger at manager Colin Calderwood who has won just 11 of his 45 matches since replacing John Hughes.
But Petrie did have a veiled dig at Hughes, claiming two cup exits under his charge - one in Europe - had contributed to the poor figures.
He said: "In the current difficult economic conditions every household faces pressure on its domestic budget and on discretionary expenditure. This, in turn, has an adverse effect on the club's finances.
"Of course we are mindful of the obvious fact the lack of success on the field had a direct bearing on the level of turnover.
"The sporting outcomes for the season were not what any of us would have wished.
"The team exited two competitions before the change in management and suffered the disappointment of an exit from the third competition in early January before new manager Colin Calderwood was able to refresh the squad."
Petrie revealed that a cost-cutting operation across all levels of the club was undertaken in a bid to minimise the damage. He added: "To address the imbalance between income and expenditure the board took action earlier this year - costs have had to be cut.
"This has meant restructuring the club from board level down, including redundancies and not replacing posts that were vacated through natural wastage.
"This is the third year in succession there has been no increase in staff salaries and I would like to record my thanks for the mature and responsible way in which all staff have responded.
"Despite the figures recorded last year the club's financial position is secure.
"Together we can move forward and we all have our part to play - as supporters, as players, as a coaching team, as staff and as board members."

???

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM

He impressed when interviewed the same time as Yogi and WE approached him last year.

His record in the lower divisions of England was good with the failure to get Forest up from the Championship the only real blemish. Something Billy Davies failed to do also despite spending lots more money than Calderwood.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 09:34 PM
£6 million in debt?

lucky
06-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm backing RP. He has done wonders at Hibs. Yes there have been mistakes but cc and the players have been terrible. It will be Scot Lindsay that does the interviewing this time.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm backing RP. He has done wonders at Hibs. Yes there have been mistakes but cc and the players have been terrible. It will be Scot Lindsay that does the interviewing this time.

Wonders?

greenlex
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
He impressed when interviewed the same time as Yogi and WE approached him last year.

His record in the lower divisions of England was good with the failure to get Forest up from the Championship the only real blemish. Something Billy Davies failed to do also despite spending lots more money than Calderwood.

I know this and makes it all the stranger that folk are questioning Petries reasons for hiring him. To have impressed enough to make someone go back and get you after you more or less admitting he got it wrong first time round speaks volumes howbthat interview went. He must have impressed. Let's not forget Calderwood by that time was employed at a premiership Club. The impression must have worked both ways.

greenlex
06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
£6 million in debt?

Manageable debt in the form of mortgages and loans. There are few if any clubs debt free. What's your point?

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Manageable debt in the form of mortgages and loans. There are few if any clubs debt free. What's your point?

As a business Hibs are not financially sound. If current attendances, season ticket sales, merchandising and media income continue on the current downward trend the debt can only increase. There have been a number fundamental errors made at board level which have gradually ground the club into it's current position which is as bad as I've seen it. Numerous poor managerial appointments and a lack of support for the men on the front line (John Collins as an example) is the most obvious.

It is one thing to concentrate on the money going out, how about investing a wee bit to get some money coming in or should we all just pack up and go home.

Liberal Hibby
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
To those who somehow think Rod Petrie needs to go - be careful what you wish for.

There are plenty of much worse people running football clubs or wanting to run them.

greenlex
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
As a business Hibs are not financially sound. If current attendances, season ticket sales, merchandising and media income continue on the current downward trend the debt can only increase. There have been a number fundamental errors made at board level which have gradually ground the club into it's current position which is as bad as I've seen it. Numerous poor managerial appointments and a lack of support for the men on the front line (John Collins as an example) is the most obvious.

It is one thing to concentrate on the money going out, how about investing a wee bit to get some money coming in or should we all just pack up and go home.

Bollocks they are as financially sound as any in the market they operate in. A product on the pitch would go a long way to addressing last seasons short falls. The current board have invested a fair few bob getting Calderwood and his squad together. How much more do you want to invest over and above?

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM

How did the club not support JC?

EasterRoad4Ever
06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
The fact that we are STILL having to call for Petrie to go at this point, shows how out of touch Petrie is with everything associated with Hibs. The guy should have walked the minute CC was fired. Petrie is like an embarrassing smell hanging around, and has to go.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2011, 10:22 PM
The decision to turn down £300,000, or whatever it was, for Calderwood in the summer must rank as being one of the worst decisions that the club has made for years.

Now, the likelihood is that we'll need to be paying him a substantial amount of money for removing him when he had two years remaining on his contract.

This decision has come, to my mind, because the club won't want to face difficult questions on Tuesday during the AGM. They did the very same thing last year when they removed John Hughes before the AGM took place.

There's only so long that they can get away with doing this and as far as I'm concerned, big changes are required at boardroom level.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:22 PM
To those who somehow think Rod Petrie needs to go - be careful what you wish for.

There are plenty of much worse people running football clubs or wanting to run them.

OK, let's just carry on like this then. Next manager please - and your name is?

Flippant I know and the general state of the game in this country is not the best which stands in Petrie's favour as Hibs are not yet in administration. That's about it though for me.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Bollocks they are as financially sound as any in the market they operate in. A product on the pitch would go a long way to addressing last seasons short falls. The current board have invested a fair few bob getting Calderwood and his squad together. How much more do you want to invest over and above?

Bollocks - how many seasons of decline? How much are we going to have to pay CC in comp?

greenlex
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Bollocks - how many seasons of decline?

Depends where you want to start. Lets look at the last ten years or so since the big adventure.About the same as the curve up the way but with a better infrastructure and financial footing.

EasterRoad4Ever
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
The decision to turn down £300,000, or whatever it was, for Calderwood in the summer must rank as being one of the worst decisions that the club has made for years.

Now, the likelihood is that we'll need to be paying him a substantial amount of money for removing him when he had two years remaining on his contract.

This decision has come, to my mind, because the club won't want to face difficult questions on Tuesday during the AGM. They did the very same thing last year when they removed John Hughes before the AGM took place.

There's only so long that they can get away with doing this and as far as I'm concerned, big changes are required at boardroom level.

:agree:Everything what he said.

Captain Trips
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
RP got the debt down and managed to build the stand and East mains due to the sale of the players we had, it is subjective in what another chairman may have got. When RP is given the tools in the form of millions in player sales he seems ok who wouldnt?, when having to do things where things are not as simple he is found wanting.

Liberal Hibby
06-11-2011, 10:32 PM
OK, let's just carry on like this then. Next manager please - and your name is?

Flippant I know and the general state of the game in this country is not the best which stands in Petrie's favour as Hibs are not yet in administration. That's about it though for me.

I'd be happy with Michael O'Neil on two conditions - it is explicit that he is here for two years at least regardless of results (even relegation) and that the board launch a proper supporter communication programme that explains what performance indicators they have for the team and management and how improvement is to be continuously achieved (like in most normal jobs).

The idea that the now (non-exec) Chairman has some sort of influence on results on the park is ludicrous - but the fact that it has so much traction among Hibs fans is a result of the board's failure to communicate in any meaningful way to the fans.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Depends where you sart. Lets look at the last ten years. About the same as the curve up the way but with a better infrastructure and financial footing.

Really? I'm glad you are happy with the past 10 years and likely looking forward to decent growth and development over the next decade under the current forward thinking regime. Not me though, I'll not be investing so I'm out.

NGH
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM

Good point.

greenlex
06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Really? I'm glad you are happy with the past 10 years and likely looking forward to decent growth and development over the next decade under the current forward thinking regime. Not me though, I'll not be investing so I'm out.

It's the same regime that got us out the **** when we nearly disappeared. It's the same regime that got us to where we were 5 years ago. I think you need to get real. This is Hibs we are supporting not some footballing superpower. You need to get a bit of perspective on things. If you are out at this stage then I am sure you will be sorely missed.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:50 PM

OK.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
It's the same regime that got us out the **** when we nearly disappeared. It's the same regime that got us to where we were 5 years ago. I think you need to get real. This is Hibs we are supporting not some footballing superpower. You need to get a bit of perspective on things. If you are out at this stage then I am sure you will be sorely missed.

It's you that needs to get real if you think that the current state of affairs is acceptable. I'm glad you are happy with your lot. For the record, I am pretty much a realist when it comes to Hibs having supported them for 42 years. I'm just a bit sick of the current lack of anything to be honest. Also, remember although we have different opinions, we are on the same side. Just saying'....

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
OK.

I wish it was that easy...

greenlex
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
It's you that needs to get real if you think that the current state of affairs is acceptable. I'm glad you are happy with your lot. For the record, I am pretty much a realist when it comes to Hibs having supported them for 42 years. I'm just a bit sick of the current lack of anything to be honest. Also, remember although we have different opinions, we are on the same side. Just saying'....

I have not once said I was happy with where we are at the moment orbitbs acceptable but I am not yet suicidal and can accept there are us and downs. I have not quite been 40 years supporting Hibs and I am realistic enough to know there are ups and downs. A new man comes in and gets a run of results and we will be up that table and scrapping for a European spot come then of the season. It won't take much. We are on the same side but you seem to be throwing the towel in after a couple of years of poor football. I would have thought after being through 42 years you would ave been more accepting of the roller coaster that is Hibernian Football club.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 11:20 PM

So you supported us in the late seventies and early eighties? And you think this is bad?

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I have not once said I was happy with where we are at the moment orbitbs acceptable but I am not yet suicidal and can accept there are us and downs. I have not quite been 40 years supporting Hibs and I am realistic enough to know there are ups and downs. A new man comes in and gets a run of results and we will be up that table and scrapping for a European spot come then of the season. It won't take much. We are on the same side but you seem to be throwing the towel in after a couple of years of porridge football. I would have thought after being through 42 years you would ave been more accepting of the roller coaster that is Hibernian Football club.

True, however the roller coaster has been stuck in the dips for quite some time and sadly the thought of another manager coming in with little to play with does not fill me with much hope. John Collins eluded to poor managerial control at board level during a recent interview, which I believe has some credence even though he has a chip or two. Hibs have had 8 managers in the last 10 years, if I was the boss I would expect a few questions relating to my ability to manage at the highest level.

s club 7-0
06-11-2011, 11:23 PM
So you supported us in the late seventies and early eighties? And you think this is bad?

Yes I did and yes I do.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't get this clamour for RPs head. If STF got rid of the entire board tomorrow he would then have to appoint another one full of people we've never heard of and with less experience than the current board have. What does this achieve? It's not the Boards' fault that CC turned out to be useless and they did the right thing in finally getting shot of him.

What do folk expect this new board to do? We talk about setting higher standards and changing the culture at ER but surely the fact that we have changed manager again is a sign that we expect better.

If RP were to walk away I only hope that STF has got someone far better qualified lined up. They will still have to work within the same financial constraints as RP and co are doing but somehow we think they will be better able to pick a new manager and everything else will fall into place??

I don't blame the board for the mess we are in, it's CCs fault.

Peevemor
07-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I think punting RP would be very hasty....lets not forget the things that have been done right in previous years.....(i won't restate the obvious)

HOWEVER given the re-structuring of the club into its 2 divisions then the major voice in appointing next man should be the head of football operations and not RP...otherwise why have that role and responsibility

Exactly. Loads of people are shouting for RP to go, when it's pretty obvious that he's been gradually preparing his exit.

basehibby
07-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Fair comment - I've been happy enough with most of the managerial appointments at the time they were made. I wasn't too sure about Calderwood right enough, but then again I felt pretty much the same when Mowbray was appointed so maybe criticism of managerial appointments is overstated.

But that does not mean Petrie and the board in general is not worthy of criticism. Since the Cup win of 2007 there has been a steady decline in the fortunes of the club - even if the infrastructure is now spot on, the football team has been going down the pan and THAT is the whole point afterall. The board are the common denominator in all this and it's fair to question whether their strategy and vision (or the lack thereof) are part of the problem. If that's the case then it badly needs to be addressed, otherwise any new managerial appointment will just be a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

Hermit Crab
07-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Yes please. Petrie and co :bye:

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Exactly. Loads of people are shouting for RP to go, when it's pretty obvious that he's been gradually preparing his exit.

Spot on except that I suspect that his exit is imminent.

The real question is then what? RP has STF's full support and STF dosent want to do it.

Cropley10
07-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Correct! I'm not holding my breath though. Petrie will have the final say.

Argylehibby
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM

If you were not there how can you say that you would not have been impressed by Calderwood? Have you ever interviewed anybody for a job? It's not that easy working out whats being exagerated and what's not.

We have seen numerous posts over the last few months slating the selection process but I have yet to see 1 post where a poster can say what is wrong with it or what should be done that isnt done. We have posters on here now saying who should be the manager, who shouldnt be the manager etc yet they have done a lot less "due dillegence" than the board will have done at all previous appointments and on this appointment.

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Hope he doesnt think that sacking CC makes his role in this entire sorry last 2yrs any less, total disaster it has been and he should be nowhere near being involved in the next appointment. The whole board needs restructured, I am not interested in the board going out to get a manager and continue on, their manager has failed yet again, they have failed yet again time to go, now please.

Until the dark shadow of RP Is removed from the club it will be same old same old regardless of who gets the job for the next year or till the next AGM After the one on Tuesday.

Ray_
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Depends where you want to start. Lets look at the last ten years or so since the big adventure.About the same as the curve up the way but with a better infrastructure and financial footing.

We were 18M in debt with the fans alienated from the club ten years ago & it was only an extremely rare number of talented youngster that's transfer fee's & an inspired managerial choice that got the club out of the mess it was in.

Five years on from the recovery, the fans are again alienated and income seriously down, the debt's becoming uncontrollable again, but this time we don't have a shed load of assets or potential assets to sell.

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
We were 18M in debt with the fans alienated from the club ten years ago & it was only an extremely rare number of talented youngster that's transfer fee's & an inspired managerial choice that got the club out of the mess it was in.

Five years on from the recovery, the fans are again alienated and income seriously down, the debt's becoming uncontrollable again, but this time we don't have a shed load of assets or potential assets to sell.

We have no sellably playing assets at the moment, we do have a fantastic infrastructure we now need investment on the pitch a quality manager put in place to direct the team.

But most of all RP Has to go we cant move forward with him in charge it just does not work.

StevieC
07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Until the dark shadow of RP Is removed from the club it will be same old same old regardless of who gets the job for the next year or till the next AGM After the one on Tuesday.

As a matter of interest .. what is your definition of "the same old, same old"?

But most of all RP Has to go we cant move forward with him in charge it just does not work.

What doesn't work, and why can't it work?

:confused:

--------
07-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I totally agree that Petrie needs to move on before we have any chance of seeing a revived and happier Hibernian.

However, I would remind everyone that Petrie is at ER to do another man's bidding. That man is Tom Farmer.

If Farmer isn't prepared to run Hibs as a fully-functioning football club, with results and performances given top priority, where do we go in the long run?

I know he saved the club from oblivion 20 years ago, but for what did he save it? To run it as a proper football club, with results and performances the top priority, or to run it as a museum piece - there, but not really functioning?

Calderwood has gone. Petrie's influence remains, and only Farmer can change that.

Kaiser1962
07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
If Farmer isn't prepared to run Hibs as a fully-functioning football club, with results and performances given top priority, where do we go in the long run?

At all and any costs Doddie?

If we overspend Farmer is the guy left holding the baby. If someone wants to take that responsibility from him, and has the means to do so, then I am all for it.

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
How did the club not support JC?

Went back on their word that he would be given the money from the upcoming sale of Murphy. Refused to match his ambition in even attempting to sign players such as Robson and Naismith who were both gettable at that stage

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Went back on their word that he would be given the money from the upcoming sale of Murphy. Refused to match his ambition in even attempting to sign players such as Robson and Naismith who were both gettable at that stage

We were in a bidding war with Rangers for Naismith and you think he was "gettable" ? And Robson would have chosen us over Celtic?

Given the money he wasted I wouldnt have given him the Murphy money either.

--------
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
At all and any costs Doddie?

If we overspend Farmer is the guy left holding the baby. If someone wants to take that responsibility from him, and has the means to do so, then I am all for it.

I said 'top priority', Kaiser, not 'drag the club down to disaster'.

It's not about overspending - it's about what's the primary aim of the club in the eyes of the owner. A nice tidy balance sheet all printed out in black and all the sums adding up, regardless of what's going on on the field? Or everything and everyone at the club geared towards achieving the best that can be achieved within the limitations of financial reality?

The second option involves financial stability as a means to an end - the end being the presentation on the pitch of a team capable of competing effectively in the SPL while entertaining the fans. That would go a long way to enticing the disgruntled and disaffected fans back to the stadium. Which would provide increasing revenue to plough into the team - which under effective management would improve, thus attracting more fans to the stadium... And so on.

Sound finance isn't just about not spending money - it's about using the money we have wisely to achieve the appropriate end-product - in this case, an effective and entertaining football team in green and white shirts.

I appreciate Farmer's prudence; I just don't quite know what he sees as the purpose of that prudence. It certainly hasn't achieved the purpose of putting a decent team on the field for us to watch.

I am a customer as well as a fan, and my needs and reasonable expectations have been ignored for too long. It's not just about 'preserving Hibs' - it's about progressing Hibs as an effective force in football instead of the embarrassing circus we've become.

Kaiser1962
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I agree with all that Doddie and it sounds quite easy but in reality its anything but.

The "purpose of that prudence" though is survival. He is never going to make any money out of football as, with one or two rare exceptions, football clubs cost their owners a lot of money.

Since the SPL came into being a total of 18 teams have competed in the top division. Of those three (Dundee, Livingston, Motherwell) have gone into administration, one of them (Dundee) twice, and another (Gretna) has disappeared entirely. Eight clubs have been ever present over the last 12 seasons and only one of those (Hibs) shows a profit. The other seven show a combined loss of £179.7m (since 2001) which does not include the amount Motherwell went under for.

Hearts are technically insolvent and Rangers are awaiting the outcome of HMRC action to see if they can continue trading. Both Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are entirely dependent on the benevolence of their owners to enable them to continue. Killie are fighting a battle with costs but have again depended on their owner, to all intents and purposes, writing off debts.

Dunfermline have been promoted this year but Yorkston has already said he expects it to cost him money.

Why would anyone want to "invest" in a football club with little or no possibility of any return, with the added incentive of years of dog's abuse.

I said 'top priority', Kaiser, not 'drag the club down to disaster'.

It's not about overspending - it's about what's the primary aim of the club in the eyes of the owner. A nice tidy balance sheet all printed out in black and all the sums adding up, regardless of what's going on on the field? Or everything and everyone at the club geared towards achieving the best that can be achieved within the limitations of financial reality?

The second option involves financial stability as a means to an end - the end being the presentation on the pitch of a team capable of competing effectively in the SPL while entertaining the fans. That would go a long way to enticing the disgruntled and disaffected fans back to the stadium. Which would provide increasing revenue to plough into the team - which under effective management would improve, thus attracting more fans to the stadium... And so on.

Sound finance isn't just about not spending money - it's about using the money we have wisely to achieve the appropriate end-product - in this case, an effective and entertaining football team in green and white shirts.

I appreciate Farmer's prudence; I just don't quite know what he sees as the purpose of that prudence. It certainly hasn't achieved the purpose of putting a decent team on the field for us to watch.

I am a customer as well as a fan, and my needs and reasonable expectations have been ignored for too long. It's not just about 'preserving Hibs' - it's about progressing Hibs as an effective force in football instead of the embarrassing circus we've become.

Cropley10
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
We were in a bidding war with Rangers for Naismith and you think he was "gettable" ? And Robson would have chosen us over Celtic?

Of course you might argue it was poor governance to allow an absolute rookie manager the opportunity to spend such vast sums as he did, on players of little, or questionable quality.

Equally, hindsight is a wonderful thing and it allows the opportunity to condemn all his signings as terrible. Let's not forget that Brian Kerr, for example, scored the winner in the season-opening Derby. Alas he turned out to be not very good but you, or I, wouldnt have said that after the first few games he played.

Luckily CC hasn't repeated the same mistake as JC and has only brought in high quality players being a much more experienced manager.

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM

RP Sided with the players who went behind JCs back the reason he did it was to avoid forking out for the players JC Had Targeted to take us on to the next level.

Get out of jail card for RP To avoid spending money chunky Directors Wages have to be found from somewhere after all.

Its been downhill since JC.

wee 162
07-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Aye, took in £8.5m, spent about £250k in transfer fees. And folk expected us to be no worse for the loss of £8.5m worth of players.

Where Hibs operate in the transfer market there are going to be no guarantees about any player we sign. Nish looked a handful when he played against us. Van Zanten was supposed to be a solid right back for a couple of years for us. Those are players known to people and didn't seem very much like gambles. They were hopeless.

Collins mostly went another direction, he tried picking up young players from reserve sides and try to bring them through. The only signing he made that looked like he was for the 1st team straight away was Kerr. Like Nish or Van Zanten he was also hopeless. That was a gamble as well but so is every signing. At least you could see what the thought process was behind his signings (quite short up front, sign someone raw with a bit of pace in Donaldson, and someone fairly physical like Curier, both things we were seriously lacking prior to them signing).

greenlex
07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
RP Sided with the players who went behind JCs back the reason he did it was to avoid forking out for the players JC Had Targeted to take us on to the next level.

Get out of jail card for RP To avoid spending money chunky Directors Wages have to be found from somewhere after all.

Its been downhill since JC.

Yet again a complete load of Pish. Petrie tod the player JC was te manager and to get on with it. We couldn't afford JCs targets so we didn't get them. JC wanted to spend money but his previous spending was mostly unproductive. It's little surprise the budget wasnt increased for him to squander..

The only bit I agree is it's been downhill since JC but in terms of quality signings he started the slide.

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Aye, took in £8.5m, spent about £250k in transfer fees. And folk expected us to be no worse for the loss of £8.5m worth of players.

Yet he had nothing to do with their signing or development.

Of course we were going to worse. How folk expected that we should be able to hang on to them, or that we should be able to exchange like for like, thats the mystery.

The Falcon
08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree with all that Doddie and it sounds quite easy but in reality its anything but.

The "purpose of that prudence" though is survival. He is never going to make any money out of football as, with one or two rare exceptions, football clubs cost their owners a lot of money.

Since the SPL came into being a total of 18 teams have competed in the top division. Of those three (Dundee, Livingston, Motherwell) have gone into administration, one of them (Dundee) twice, and another (Gretna) has disappeared entirely. Eight clubs have been ever present over the last 12 seasons and only one of those (Hibs) shows a profit. The other seven show a combined loss of £179.7m (since 2001) which does not include the amount Motherwell went under for.

Hearts are technically insolvent and Rangers are awaiting the outcome of HMRC action to see if they can continue trading. Both Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are entirely dependent on the benevolence of their owners to enable them to continue. Killie are fighting a battle with costs but have again depended on their owner, to all intents and purposes, writing off debts.

Dunfermline have been promoted this year but Yorkston has already said he expects it to cost him money.

Why would anyone want to "invest" in a football club with little or no possibility of any return, with the added incentive of years of dog's abuse.

So basically over 20% of the clubs that have taken part in the SPL since it was formed in 1998 have went bust? If you were to add in Rangers and Hearts that would be a third? Thats incredible when you think of it like that.

Deano_70
08-11-2011, 07:20 PM
It's about time he took the walk, Football is an entertainment business and year upon year the entertaining players in our team have been sold at the first given opportunity.

We have the highest priced season tickets in the league, we have the highest priced walk up prices in the league and to add to that even our food stands are up there with the highest in the league. We now have a 20,000 seater stadium that we can't fill 50% percent off. At what point will this muppet take the walk. I for one aint an economist but I can sure as hell work out how you start getting fans back, you have to start listening to them, you have to start taking on board what we want. He can not be given another stay of execution as I for one am sick and tired of our voices being brushed under a rug only to be conveniently heard 48 hours before the clubs AGM coincidently 2 years on the bounce.

I also struggle to get my head round how we have the highest paid board in the league, I would love to see what this bunch of clowns sit and talk about on a daily basis.

The heart has been ripped out of my club, there is now no excitement going to an Edinburgh Derby, going to Easter Road for me is habbit and it will always remain this way, I just pray and hope that one day this club will listen to it's support and return the habbit to an exciting addiction!!!

RP and the rest of board walk before this once massive club ends up slipping to a point were there is no return, sadly a point that I don't think is actually not that far away. As Jackie McNamara senior said in the paper today, £30 get's you 10 pints and top English game live in the comfort of your local pub.......... :flag:

HibeeMG
08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
One question: what should the new chairman do differently and why?

HibsMax
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
So you're suggesting that the guys who kept out club afloat all this time should GTF? That's not very appreciative.

I agree that we need to do something about the "on the pitch" problems, of that there can be NO doubt. My thoughts were always that we would sort out the finances and infrastructure then invest in the team - an approach that isn't very popular as I'm constantly reminded that Hibs are a football club and not a business.

Is that the plan though? That question needs to be asked at the AGM. If the plan is to seek out ways to invest in the playing staff then I am still behind the board.

However

If the board have spent all the money and are now clueless about how to raise funds for Part II (investing in the playing staff) then I would agree that they need to be held accountable for that.

Beefster
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
One question: what should the new chairman do differently and why?

I'm boring myself with the amount of times I answer that question but there is absolutely masses that could be done differently/better at Hibs.

Deano_70
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Firstly he should have the fans interest in mind. He should listen more, I approached him at last seasons player of the year do and asked him when he was going to start thinking like a fan!! The response I got what a disapproving glance and ignored!!!! Not what I expect from someone in his position.

This club is run like a bank and to be be quite frank it's about as much fun sitting in one on a Saturday watching the door opening and closing all day. He needs to figure out why a club can pull 35,000 through to Hampden for a cup final but yet only 30% of that turns up on a Saturday. I appreciate that we are operating in difficult times just now and things do need to be tight but how can he justify being the highest paid member of the clubs staff???

HibeeMG
08-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm boring myself with the amount of times I answer that question but there is absolutely masses that could be done differently/better at Hibs.

The only thing that I can see should have definitely been done differently would have been to have chosen a better manager but as someone has just said, 'it's not an exact science'.

Everything else done differently would have had negative consequences elsewhere. So unless I've missed you addressing those issues as well, the multiple times you've answered the question hasn't held much weight.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Just what we needed - another Petrie GTF thread

Would it not have been easier just to tag this on to the numerous other threads about Petrie currently near the top of the forum.

Anyway....

Insert generic for/against Petrie argument here.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Firstly he should have the fans interest in mind. He should listen more, I approached him at last seasons player of the year do and asked him when he was going to start thinking like a fan!! The response I got what a disapproving glance and ignored!!!! Not what I expect from someone in his position.

This club is run like a bank and to be be quite frank it's about as much fun sitting in one on a Saturday watching the door opening and closing all day. He needs to figure out why a club can pull 35,000 through to Hampden for a cup final but yet only 30% of that turns up on a Saturday. I appreciate that we are operating in difficult times just now and things do need to be tight but how can he justify being the highest paid member of the clubs staff???

He stated tonight at the agm that he received no salary this year, not the first time either iirc, so he's far from the highest paid member of staff.

Beefster
08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
The only thing that I can see should have definitely been done differently would have been to have chosen a better manager but as someone has just said, 'it's not an exact science'.

Everything else done differently would have had negative consequences elsewhere. So unless I've missed you addressing those issues as well, the multiple times you've answered the question hasn't held much weight.

Thanks. Always good for someone to dismiss me when they evidently have no idea what I've said.

AlbertK86
08-11-2011, 08:47 PM
It's about time he took the walk, Football is an entertainment business and year upon year the entertaining players in our team have been sold at the first given opportunity. We have the highest priced season tickets in the league, we have the highest priced walk up prices in the league and to add to that even our food stands are up there with the highest in the league. We now have a 20,000 seater stadium that we can't fill 50% percent off. At what point will this muppet take the walk. I for one aint an economist but I can sure as hell work out how you start getting fans back, you have to start listening to them, you have to start taking on board what we want. He can not be given another stay of execution as I for one am sick and tired of our voices being brushed under a rug only to be conveniently heard 48 hours before the clubs AGM coincidently 2 years on the bounce. I also struggle to get my head round how we have the highest paid board in the league, I would love to see what this bunch of clowns sit and talk about on a daily basis. The heart has been ripped out of my club, there is now no excitement going to an Edinburgh Derby, going to Easter Road for me is habbit and it will always remain this way, I just pray and hope that one day this club will listen to it's support and return the habbit to an exciting addiction!!! RP and the rest of board walk before this once massive club ends up slipping to a point were there is no return, sadly a point that I don't think is actually not that far away. As Jackie McNamara senior said in the paper today, £30 get's you 10 pints and top English game live in the comfort of your local pub.......... :flag: Excellent post. Hundred per cent in agreement.

Part/Time Supporter
08-11-2011, 08:48 PM

That could be said of every non-OF club in Scotland (in absolute or relative terms). How many people were at the Dundee United v Ross County cup final, or the Hearts v Gretna cup final, ad infinitum. Silly argument.

tamig
08-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Oh jeez. And do you think we are the only club affected by this particular conundrum? I don't think you can pin that one on Rod. It's been a problem for donkeys - and for every non-OF club.

Captain Trips
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
So you're suggesting that the guys who kept out club afloat all this time should GTF? That's not very appreciative.

I agree that we need to do something about the "on the pitch" problems, of that there can be NO doubt. My thoughts were always that we would sort out the finances and infrastructure then invest in the team - an approach that isn't very popular as I'm constantly reminded that Hibs are a football club and not a business.

Is that the plan though? That question needs to be asked at the AGM. If the plan is to seek out ways to invest in the playing staff then I am still behind the board.

However

If the board have spent all the money and are now clueless about how to raise funds for Part II (investing in the playing staff) then I would agree that they need to be held accountable for that.

Max as good as RP was in stabalising things he is found wanting or the board are on the football side of it, we cannot keep pointing to what he done in past and blowing smoke up his arse. He has had long enough to sort it and we seek another manager with a squad on short deals, IMO the team is in a mess and they are all to blame. Mixu, Yogi and CC cannot just be the ones to lose jobs over this failure which is ongoing, the fact we have had to sack 3 managers says it all.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Whatever we think of Petrie, it's evident from the AGM that he's king nowhere.