PDA

View Full Version : East Mains, is it part of the problem?

Alfred E Newman
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Is it just a coinsidence that our problems seemed to start with the development of East Mains? Collins left the day after it opened and 3 managers later we are in our worst state for almost 15 years. The players look unfit, our "conveyer belt" of young talent seems to have dried up, and our home record is as bad as I can remember in all my many years following the Hibs. Not what the much vaunted training centre was supposed to achieve.

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Is it just a coinsidence that our problems seemed to start with the development of East Mains? Collins left the day after it opened and 3 managers later we are in our worst state for almost 15 years. The players look unfit, our "conveyer belt" of young talent seems to have dried up, and our home record is as bad as I can remember in all my many years following the Hibs. Not what the much vaunted training centre was supposed to achieve.

I've been asked to move the chip van from my pitch outside the complex.

SquashedFrogg
06-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Erm, no....

Although we do seem to be the only club ever to build/improve training facilities and look less fit?

Having had the privilege of a few guided tours I can't see how it would not inspire you to get fit and become a better player. I've also been in the students version at Riccarton and there's no contest. Sure they have a bigger indoor hall but it's generally booked out for uni five a sides..

The Green Goblin
06-11-2011, 05:26 PM

I agree. I've long wondered what, if anything, it has done to move us on.

GG

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Absolutely 100% correct, we have been cack since we moved in the 5 star spa hotel....sorry training complex

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I've been asked to move the chip van from my pitch outside the complex.

:tee hee:

lucky
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
It's not the facilities that's the issue but the attitude of the players and clueless manager. Half the team get lunch out Greggs everyday. Hibs need East Mains but need a manager who can use it properly

TheEastTerrace
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Facilities are irrelevant if the club doesn't have a quality player development programme from youth level to senior. Also requires excellent coaching plus the motivation and determination of players to consistently improve. I was appalled to hear under Hughes that players were away from EM by lunchtime.

pentlando
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I think East Mains and the new stand have created too much expectancy from the fans. Never have i seen or heard abuse to players and the team in general like the past couple of seasons. Even under Duffy. I'm not saying we should be happy with our position, but there is no encouragement at all these days. Remember the days Hibs lost a goal and the response was Hibees Hibees. Now we expect to win each home game, we have the mentality of a club bigger than the players we have.

SquashedFrogg
06-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I think East Mains and the new stand have created too much expectancy from the fans. Never have i seen or heard abuse to players and the team in general like the past couple of seasons. Even under Duffy. I'm not saying we should be happy with our position, but there is no encouragement at all these days. Remember the days Hibs lost a goal and the response was Hibees Hibees. Now we expect to win each home game, we have the mentality of a club bigger than the players we have.

Is that really such a bad thing? I'd say every fan in the country turns up for every home game expecting a win. That's why we turn up? Obviously logic dictates that it isn't going to happen every time but then at least we can go home knowing that the players have put a shift in and that we were beaten by the better team.

Unfortunately that's just not happening....

pentlando
06-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Is that really such a bad thing? I'd say every fan in the country turns up for every home game expecting a win. That's why we turn up? Obviously logic dictates that it isn't going to happen every time but then at least we can go home knowing that the players have put a shift in and that we were beaten by the better team.

Unfortunately that's just not happening....

There's different types. Stoke City fans want to win every home game, and do everything they can to encourage the side to get that result. At ER recently the atmosphere has been horrible, even 10 minutes into games that are still goalless. We sit back and wait for mistakes to happen and then give the culprit a torrent of abuse. For example on Saturday after Wotherspoon took on about 4 players, forced the keeper into a save then missed the rebound he was abused from all 3 stands. He should have been roundly applauded for a great run and original effort. The fans have to take some responsibility for the fact that our away record recently is so much better than our home one.

McD
06-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Its not East Mains as such thats the problem, its the attitude of the players to their profession and lack of leadership from the manager(s) and coaching structure.

They are all fulltime professional footballers, so why are they not working similar hours to the man in the street over a week/month? They don't have to be running up and down gullane all day, but there are so many constructive uses of their time. The defense and GKs should be getting drilled daily in the mould of George Graham's Arsenal to improve their functioning as a unit, midfielders and forwards working together on moving off the ball and using/creating space, whole team working on set pieces and specific moves for corners, freekicks and throw-ins. They could be doing stretching, yoga and aerobics to enhance their flexibility and prevent niggly muscle injuries, tactical analysis of upcoming opponents, could go on and on.

Unfortunately, the players seem to use East Mains as a gang hut for games consoles and a meeting place for going to the bookies/pub, and the training staff do not seem to have the motivation/inclination/mental strength to enforce some of the above.

Calderwood was dire, but was not the sole cause of the malaise at Hibs, the board needs a shakeup and a refocusing of the primary aims, priorities and direction of the club, and the coaching staff needs assessed to determine if its fit for purpose. We seem to have consistently decent u19s who all struggle to achieve anything after that (I'm sure the lack of reserve fitba is also a big factor for this), can this be partly attributed to seeing and picking up bad habits when joining the senior squad.

Should we be inserting clauses into (new) players' contracts towards anything deemed to be bringing the club into disrepute may attract a fine and possible further ramifications if the bahviour continues (similar to Darren McCormack's continued indiscretions).

killie-hibby
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=malcolm-bogie;2974004]Is it just a coinsidence that our problems seemed to start with the development of East Mains? Collins left the day after it opened and 3 managers later we are in our worst state for almost 15 years. The players look unfit, our "conveyer belt" of young talent seems to have dried up, and our home record is as bad as I can remember in all my many years following the Hibs. Not what the much vaunted training centre was supposed to achieve.[/QUOTE

The coincidence is teflon man Gareth Evans. The insurance salesman while a part time coach/asst manager with Brechin was employed by Hibs just before East Mains opened. Since then he has become Petries chief clipe.

lapsedhibee
06-11-2011, 06:23 PM

We never had a conveyor belt of young talent. Absolutely ridiculous phrase, and would like to slap whoever it was that thought it up. We, fortuitously, had one group of talented youngsters who came through at the same time. Period.

Hibs Class
06-11-2011, 06:26 PM
It's not the facilities that's the issue but the attitude of the players and clueless manager. Half the team get lunch out Greggs everyday. Hibs need East Mains but need a manager who can use it properly

Agree. It's as simple as that. However i think that would be a step change for our current squad and so it also needs a board who will back the manager when he tries to get the players to screw the nut.

Sammy7nil
06-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Kenny Miller
Ian Murray

Broon
Thomson
Whittiker
Riordan
O'Connor

Stevenson

Booth
Hanlon

Off the top of my head would suggest they all did noy arrive at the same time

lapsedhibee
06-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Kenny Miller
Ian Murray

Broon
Thomson
Whittiker
Riordan
O'Connor

Stevenson

Booth
Hanlon

Brown Thomson Whittaker Riordan O'Connor were a group.

Apart from that group, only Miller and Fletcher stepped up to better things and stayed at a higher level.

Apart from the 'golden generation' group, I think Hearts have had more talent come through. Off the top of my head, Gordon, Berra and Wallace.

bighairyfaeleith
06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
No it's the East stand fault, or maybe it's the trams I forget.

It's certainly not our spineless players, our inept managers and our gutless board.

marleyhib
06-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Kenny Miller
Ian Murray

Broon
Thomson
Whittiker
Riordan
O'Connor

Stevenson

Booth
Hanlon

Stevenson? Really?

Elephant Stone
06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
No it's the East stand fault, or maybe it's the trams I forget.

It's certainly not our spineless players, our inept managers and our gutless board.

Gutless boards don't sack a manager every 12 months, say what you want about them but they're not gutless.

Alfred E Newman
06-11-2011, 08:25 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I think I may have seen you at Blackpool Pleasure beach.

bighairyfaeleith
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Gutless boards don't sack a manager every 12 months, say what you want about them but they're not gutless.

Gutless boards continually give in to the will of the fans.

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 03:37 AM
The players are LAZY and are happy to continue with their couple of hours training per day despite the results and the obvious fact that every other team in the league is fitter than they are.

Whether the laziness takes place at East Mains or at Wardie playing fields is neither here nor there.

It seems clear that they just do not train hard enough and I would be very interested in comparing a Hibs training schedule to that of the Old Firm or EPL teams.

aussie_hibee
07-11-2011, 03:51 AM
I think East Mains and the new stand have created too much expectancy from the fans.

I think things were more tolerated under Duffy et al because the club was rebuilding, paying off debt etc.
The level of expectancy has risen because there's nothing left to do apart from invest in the team and start winning things. The last 2 years should have been a real highlight in our history but instead it's been the opposite.

calumb
07-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Does anyone actually know how long we train for or are we just assuming that they don't bother doing much as that is how it appears on matchday?