PDA

View Full Version : Did The Board Act Too Rashly In Sacking Calderwood?

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I thought I'd set this one down to make Albion Hibs feel better.

The Green Goblin
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM

What are you havering about? It's the fans' fault that Calderwood has been sacked, not the Board's.

Dear oh dear...

:wink:

GG

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM

At this troubled time that actually cheered me up.

Springbank
06-11-2011, 06:08 PM

We didn't win 2 world wars by sacking men who were clearly unsuited to their decision-making station!!!!!!

(this may be actually better suited to Kickback, or, more likely, Blackadder goes Forth)

Iain G
06-11-2011, 07:19 PM

While the majority will agree that getting rid of CC was the right move, we cannot keep on doing this every year or so, there is no continuity at Hibs, no real motivation for the players to pefrom if they don't like the current manager as they know there will be another one along in a bit...

An ever changing line up of managers, players, training methods and styles does not make for good, consistant football or a stable football club.

In principle I was happy for the board to stick with CC til he got everything the way he wanted around the club and thought they were perhaps seeing something there that we wern't, however he had paid the price of his inability to build up a consistant team, while bag of sweeties routine cost him a lot of support and wasted a lot of time where we should have been making key signings, and now the unrest and falling ticket sales has pushed the board over the edge.

Let's hope the next man is the right appointment as we can't keep changing the manager and starting from scratch every year.

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes they did.....

This was about them deflecting flak rather than long term strategy

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes they did.....

Bostonhibby
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Yes, A case of premature ejection I fear,,,,,,,,I thought they would have waited until a couple of hours before the AGM on Tuesday for maximum distraction value.

nortonhibby
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, A case of premature ejection I fear,,,,,,,,I thought they would have waited until a couple of hours before the AGM on Tuesday for maximum distraction value.

i expected an emergency board meeting but it seems RP Had one by himself and made the call.
Ill bet he is now looking forward to the AGM With a scape goatto blame just like last year.

lapsedhibee
06-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Ill bet he is now looking forward to the AGM With a scape goatto

Do peeps who already have taches have to grow daft wee beards instead for "Movember"? :dunno:

staunchhibby
06-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Was it not CC who wanted to put his own team on the park.Look what it done to him.

Bostonhibby
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
i expected an emergency board meeting but it seems RP Had one by himself and made the call.
Ill bet he is now looking forward to the AGM With a scape goatto blame just like last year.

Darn that goat :grr: not for the first time it all goes horribly wrong at Hibs and as usual its only this four legged, bearded, fiend to blame, Get it sorted Petrie - unless of course you are the man behind the goat.

Albion Hibs
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Why thank you!

It goes without saying that I think we did. Yet again we find our club without a manager and a host of players that have been brought in under a manager that the next one that decides to jump on the merry go round will no doubt want to get rid of to bring in his own players. A year from now I would take a bet that we may be in the same position, emptied another manager, no crowds and a dozen folk occasionally making a chant at the receptionist in the main stand for 30 mins until they get too cold following a bad home defeat.

However, I guess some on the board will now have their days filled with pipe dreams about managers we may be able to get in. Lets be honest how many managers would actually want this job at this current moment in time? I appreciate there are a few of them out of work, but they will be inheriting a team, back room staff, and have a budget of next to nothing to change things.

I do wish CC all the best, I am sure he will move onto bigger and better things. Pretty concerning that more that a couple seem to be delighted that someone has just lost their job, a guy that moved away from his own family in a bid to get something to work for Hibs.

The sacking is clearly a reflection of our boards lack of steel, and their bottom creaking at the up and coming AGM.

I look forward to hearing how much they are going to back our next manager and whether or not they have given any thought to who will come in after him, lets be honest, they would be as well.

IWasThere2016
06-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes they did.....

Why thank you!

It goes without saying that I think we did. Yet again we find our club without a manager and a host of players that have been brought in under a manager that the next one that decides to jump on the merry go round will no doubt want to get rid of to bring in his own players. A year from now I would take a bet that we may be in the same position, emptied another manager, no crowds and a dozen folk occasionally making a chant at the receptionist in the main stand for 30 mins until they get too cold following a bad home defeat.

However, I guess some on the board will now have their days filled with pipe dreams about managers we may be able to get in. Lets be honest how many managers would actually want this job at this current moment in time? I appreciate there are a few of them out of work, but they will be inheriting a team, back room staff, and have a budget of next to nothing to change things.

I do wish CC all the best, I am sure he will move onto bigger and better things. Pretty concerning that more that a couple seem to be delighted that someone has just lost their job, a guy that moved away from his own family in a bid to get something to work for Hibs.

The sacking is clearly a reflection of our boards lack of steel, and their bottom creaking at the up and coming AGM.

I look forward to hearing how much they are going to back our next manager and whether or not they have given any thought to who will come in after him, lets be honest, they would be as well.

So often the way when fans call for the Chairman/Board to go .. the manager gets the boot! None more at Hibs with that sheister Petrie inharge.

I'm sticking to away games as long as Petrie remains. I will also no bother with the AGM on Tuesday .. it'll be a sham of hollow patronising pish and avoiding any 'difficult' questions.

woody47
06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Why thank you!

I do wish CC all the best, I am sure he will move onto bigger and better things. Pretty concerning that more that a couple seem to be delighted that someone has just lost their job, a guy that moved away from his own family in a bid to get something to work for Hibs. The sacking is clearly a reflection of our boards lack of steel, and their bottom creaking at the up and coming AGM.

And who also made it clear that he wanted to move away during the summer. He made his own bed then, so I do not shed one tear for the man. If he had maybe come out at the time and said that he wanted to stay and finish something he had started and that he was 100% behind Hibs he might have gotten some sympathy BUT.... he didn't, so good luck to him but he now has his wish.

EasterRoad4Ever
06-11-2011, 10:15 PM

In short, YES. This is a knee-jerk reaction by the Board to save their own skins at the AGM. It is EXACTLY the same situation as Hughes sacking. Frankly, it shows just how WEAK our Board of Directors is.

Of course, everyone (other than the Board) knew that CC should have been fired months ago, and the fact that they turned down money for the guy in the summer, makes it simply unbelievable incompetence. The whole Board should be reviewing their positions, and apologising to the shareholders, fans and STF for their gross incompetence in their handling of the CC appointment from start to finish. God help us if these guys get to choose the next manager, and continue to run our club.

HFC 0-7
06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Why thank you!

Nothing new here, this is what happens at every club when a new manager is appointed, they inherit a team, backroom staff and in the SPL at the moment every team has no budget. I think that you will change your tune fairly quickly as I think this team, although not brilliant, will be able to get some results quickly and more importantly look solid under the new manager.

BEEJ
06-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm sticking to away games as long as Petrie remains. I will also no bother with the AGM on Tuesday .. it'll be a sham of hollow patronising pish and avoiding any 'difficult' questions.
If you're a shareholder and you can go to the AGM, it's important you attend. Or send someone else in your place by proxy, if that's permitted.

The AGM, regardless of how controlled it may be, offers a rare opportunity for expressing the opinion of the support. I'm sure the Board would love it this year if all the shareholders just stayed away.

Baker9
07-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Don't panic! Don't panic! Too late, we've panicked! Terrible decision, probably bullied through by Petrie. Here we go again unhappy as can be.

Baker9
07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Nothing new here, this is what happens at every club when a new manager is appointed, they inherit a team, backroom staff and in the SPL at the moment every team has no budget. I think that you will change your tune fairly quickly as I think this team, although not brilliant, will be able to get some results quickly and more importantly look solid under the new manager.

Totally agree have the makings of a decent team -Colin Calderwoods team. Why panic now? Short term accounting, thats why.

Baker9
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
In short, YES. This is a knee-jerk reaction by the Board to save their own skins at the AGM. It is EXACTLY the same situation as Hughes sacking. Frankly, it shows just how WEAK our Board of Directors is.

Of course, everyone (other than the Board) knew that CC should have been fired months ago, and the fact that they turned down money for the guy in the summer, makes it simply unbelievable incompetence. The whole Board should be reviewing their positions, and apologising to the shareholders, fans and STF for their gross incompetence in their handling of the CC appointment from start to finish. God help us if these guys get to choose the next manager, and continue to run our club.

:top marks

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes they did.....

Sorry, that's disingenuous.

Calderwood was sacked because we're second bottom of the league after a disastrous home defeat to Dunfermline.

If we'd won on Saturday, he would still be the manager.

IWasThere2016
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
If you're a shareholder and you can go to the AGM, it's important you attend. Or send someone else in your place by proxy, if that's permitted.

The AGM, regardless of how controlled it may be, offers a rare opportunity for expressing the opinion of the support. I'm sure the Board would love it this year if all the shareholders just stayed away.

I'm a proxy, and was doubling attending the AGM with a meeting in Edinburgh in the afternoon - the latter won't happen so I am not travelling through for an AGM that will IMHO be farcical.

bawheid
07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm a proxy, and was doubling attending the AGM with a meeting in Edinburgh in the afternoon - the latter won't happen so I am not travelling through for an AGM that will IMHO be farcical.

You've been one of Petrie's biggest critics over a number of years. Here is your chance to go and put all of your frustration and concerns to the man himself, at a time when it's completely justifiable. Yet you're going to pass up that opportunity on the off chance they avoid answering the questions??

Go and put the questions to them. If they avoid them they'll only look worse. Personally I don't think they'll be able to avoid questions this time around.

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2011, 08:04 AM

If everyone thinks like that there will be no tough questions for them to answer - get yourself along and bully them into answering the questions.

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2011, 08:13 AM
While the majority will agree that getting rid of CC was the right move, we cannot keep on doing this every year or so, there is no continuity at Hibs, no real motivation for the players to pefrom if they don't like the current manager as they know there will be another one along in a bit...

An ever changing line up of managers, players, training methods and styles does not make for good, consistant football or a stable football club.

In principle I was happy for the board to stick with CC til he got everything the way he wanted around the club and thought they were perhaps seeing something there that we wern't, however he had paid the price of his inability to build up a consistant team, while bag of sweeties routine cost him a lot of support and wasted a lot of time where we should have been making key signings, and now the unrest and falling ticket sales has pushed the board over the edge.

Let's hope the next man is the right appointment as we can't keep changing the manager and starting from scratch every year.

It's a difficult one. Real Madrid change their manager every year, and they seem to do alright. Other big clubs like the Yams do the same. I suppose the difference is that their coach always has money to play with.

Hibs seem to think that all they really need to do is find another Mowbray and everything will work out fine. Maybe they are being realistic and recognising that we just have to be patient and accept the one good season in ten, rather than spending cash we don't have in pursuit of fools gold.

The mistake they make is that people aren't going to shell out hard earned cash to watch mediocrity.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
So often the way when fans call for the Chairman/Board to go .. the manager gets the boot! None more at Hibs with that sheister Petrie inharge.

That did raise a wee smile, G. :aok:

Dirkster23
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm sticking to away games as long as Hibs play in Leith. I will also no bother with the AGM on Tuesday .. my business meeting's been cancelled and i won't be able to claim any travelling expenses.

:na na:

Shrekko
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm sticking to away games as long as Petrie remains

Will Hibs cope with such a dramatic drop in turnover for this financial year I wonder?

:faf:

cabbageandribs1875
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
at last, some hilarity :greengrin