PDA

View Full Version : O'Neill/Sven/Hartson/Strachan/Jeffries /Kano/Weir/Redknap/Souness/Martinez & more

Pages : 1 [2]

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Strachan isn't interested in managing again.

offshorehibby
07-11-2011, 07:09 AM
While Michael O'Neil is my first choice Ian McParland was on my list last time. Saw Gary McAllister on the TV the other week and he was saying he was looking to get back into management.

euro Hibby
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
probably one of the worst managers ever considering the amount of money he spent !

happiehibbie
07-11-2011, 07:24 AM
I know his brother well he gets a fortune from sky not interest in management

Elephant Stone
07-11-2011, 07:24 AM
His personality makes people think he's good but is he? Or is he just an arrogant tit?

Auckland Hibs
07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Edinburgh born

Currently Out of Work.

May just be the challenge he needs and the personality the scottish game and hibs need to generate interest.

Thoughts anyone:agree:

Good god please no!

I'd rather see Paul Hartley back at ER than Souness as manager - also, he hates us as much as I hate him.

aussie_hibee
07-11-2011, 07:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ange_Postecoglou

Completely leftfield suggestion but this guy has done absolute WONDERS at Brisbane Roar in the Aussie league.

They are currently 33 games unbeaten, won the league last season after losing 1 game the entire season, and playing absolutely cracking passing football that makes them look at a level higher than every other team in the league. Look up their 7-1 hammering of Adelaide on youtube to see what I mean.

Interestingly the first thing he did when appointed was punt wasters and bevvy merchants such as Craig Moore, Charlie Miller, and Bob Malcolm...the type of thing we could do with happening at ER perhaps?

Also, one of the main reasons behind the success is apparently that he has made sure they are the fittest team in the league by training harder than any other team in the league. Sounds simple, but definitely something our bunch of lazy gits could do with.

Obviously very unlikely to happen but the turnaround at Brisbane is pretty much what we want to see at ER - i.e. bunch of overpaid, unfit, non-caring no-marks, transformed into fit, entertaining, and title winning winners who play for the manager!

Steve-O, I find I disagree with a few of your posts which I put down to a slight difference in opinion but you are absolutely bang on with this one. Getting rid of the so called stars was the start of it and now they are winning in style and making the a-league entertaining. Defo worth a shot.

Note: 500 posts...!

aljo7-0
07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Strachan isn't interested I'm managing again.
No offence intended but frankly I'm not interested that you are managing again. :wink:

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
No offence intended but frankly I'm not interested that you are managing again. :wink:

I've no idea what you're talking about! :wink:

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 07:55 AM
3 yes votes for Ange! Perhaps I should e-mail Petrie?

Yes, you should.

SkintHibby
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I know Kano not everyone's cup of tea and folk think he's Hibs' version of Gary Mackay but I like his comments in the newspapers. He wears his heart on his sleeve and his latest comments about Rod Petrie having to reconsider his position are most welcome.

I have no problem with Kano being a representative of the fans. He says what most of us think.:agree:

lobster
07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Papandreou. He's looking.

Wyatt.S.Earp
07-11-2011, 08:13 AM
He is in the Pat Stanton ,Jimmy O'Rourke mould..........a Hibby..........through and through....!!!:aok:

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Yes, you should.

I e-mailed club@hibernianfc.co.uk

If anyone has a 'better' address such as RodPetrie@tightwad.com or something, please supply and I will send to that :agree:

Dr Jimmy
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
John Robertson

Thanks for that. By the way you have missed the middle G from your username. :wink:

pentlando
07-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I could win 3 titles with celtic or rangers. I'm looking at his record with Southampton, Coventry & Middlesbrough.

Pretty bizarre statement to make, I'm sure you'll be a shoe in when Lennon gets his p45 :rolleyes: The few Celtic fans i know are now gutted they hounded him out. If Strachan is to ever get back into management, it wouldn't be as risky a job as this one.

offshorehibby
07-11-2011, 08:32 AM
While O'Neil is my choice here's an interesting quote from the shamrock forum

True but

1 MON was largely able to sign whatever players he wanted from across the league (wont be the case overthere)

and

2 From his 2nd season onward he had the strongest squad in the league due to our financial position and the mess so many other clubs found themselves in (wont be the case overthere)

so overall I am sure he would do a good job for Hibs if left at it ... but managing a clubs with less transfter market power is probably a tougher job that the Rovers job that has excelled at!

koh

Kempes

http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS./page2&

NOLA
07-11-2011, 08:38 AM
hertz ****

lobster
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Papandreou. He's looking. Seriously tho, a referendum on a new manager might be a good idea. Revolutionary in fact.

Moulin Yarns
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Seen him say at the weekend he had no aspirations to ever manage again.

Fit in well at Easter Road then :wink:

frazeHFC
07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Hartson says he has not and will not apply. End of that rumour.

EasterRoad4Ever
07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Christ there is some **** getting spoken tonight.
Williamson. Proper manager with trophy wins.
McLeish? I bet he just did as he was told.
Hughes was quiet and unassuming.
Calderwood. The cheap option. We reportedly rejected money to move him on just a number of months ago and spent money getting him from Newcastle.
Do folk actually think about things before they type or do they just repeat what other psh someone else says?

Apparently not :greengrin

Andy74
07-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I could win 3 titles with celtic or rangers. I'm looking at his record with Southampton, Coventry & Middlesbrough.

As I just posted on the PM board:

Looking behind the actual stats to the context of where he took over clubs and what he did with them his record overall is pretty good, probably Middlesbrough apart.

Amd you can't just take away the Celtic period as he was taking Celtic to the last 16 in the chapions League going out to the winners and finishing quite comfortably ahead of Rangers. That would be a decent return these days.

Coventry City

When Ron Atkinson became Coventry City's Director of Football in November 1996, Strachan was promoted to the manager's seat. He finally retired as a player at the end of the season after making his last appearance at the age of 40, at the time a record for an outfield player in the FA Premier League. Only goalkeeper John Burridge, who had played for Manchester City at the age of 43 in the 1994–95, had played at a greater age in the Premier League at the time.

Strachan also helped Coventry survive a Premier League relegation battle. After losing their penultimate league game, it looked as though their 30-year top flight tenancy had come to an end. But thanks to a victory on the final day, a draw for Middlesbrough (who had been deducted three points by the FA) and a defeat for Sunderland, they avoided relegation. Coventry stayed in the top flight for a further four years until the 2000–01 season, during which Strachan became unpopular with fans.[2] In the face of increasing supporter unrest he was sacked five games into the 2001–02 Division One campaign.[3]

Southampton

Strachan returned to management within weeks, taking the manager's job at Premier League Southampton – who had sacked manager Stuart Gray after a terrible start to their first season at the new St Mary's Stadium. Most pundits had already written off their survival chances by the time of Strachan's appointment in October 2001, but he turned round their fortunes and they finished 11th in the Premier League. The Saints progressed further in 2002–03 when they finished eighth and reached the FA Cup Final, where they lost 1–0 to Arsenal. As Arsenal had qualified for the UEFA Champions League, Southampton won a place in the UEFA Cup.

In February 2004, Strachan announced his resignation as Southampton manager. He had earlier announced his intention not to renew his contract when it expired at the end of the 2003–04 season, but resigned even earlier than intended because he wanted to spend time with his family.

Celtic

After a 16 month break, Strachan returned to management on 1 June 2005, when he succeeded Martin O'Neill as manager of Celtic in the Scottish Premier League (SPL). For 2005–06, his stated aim was to regain the SPL title from rivals Rangers. He had an embarrassing start to his campaign as Celtic manager, losing 5–0 to Slovakian champions Artmedia Bratislava on 27 July 2005 and 3 days later drawing 4–4 with Motherwell in his first SPL match in charge of the Glasgow club. The loss against Artmedia meant that Celtic suffered an early exit from European competition, despite winning the return match 4–0.

After this disastrous start, Celtic started to improve under Strachan. A low-point was the shock defeat in the third round of the Scottish Cup to First Division Clyde on 8 January 2006. However, the following month his team made history when they beat Dunfermline Athletic 8–1, a record victory margin for the SPL.

Strachan's first season was ultimately successful as he coached Celtic to victory in the Scottish League Cup and, on 5 April 2006 his side clinched the SPL title in record time and with six matches remaining. Reflecting this achievement, Strachan was voted 'manager of the year' by the Scottish Football Writers' Association 8 days later.[4]

The following year Strachan restructured the team and made a series of signings, bringing in players such as Hibernian's Derek Riordan, Chelsea's Jiri Jarosik, Kenny Miller and Lee Naylor both from Wolverhampton Wanderers, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink from PSV Eindhoven, Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid and Paul Hartley and Steven Pressley from Heart of Midlothian. Celtic flourished, and by mid-January 2007 held a 17 point lead in the SPL table.

Champions League football again returned to Celtic Park, the team having automatically qualified for the group stages and drawn alongside Benfica, FC Copenhagen and Manchester United. Home victories against all three Group F members saw the team progress to the final 16 of the Champions League for the first time since the competition was re-formatted in 1993. Celtic lost the tie, against eventual winners AC Milan in extra time, missing out on a place in the quarter finals.

On 22 April 2007 Strachan guided Celtic to their 41st league championship, and second in succession. A 2–1 victory against Kilmarnock[5] left Celtic 13 points clear of Rangers with four matches remaining. Later that day Strachan was recognised as the inaugural Scottish PFA Manager of the Year for 2007. Celtic went on to win the Scottish Cup, beating Dunfermline.

In the 2007–08 season, Strachan led Celtic into the last 16 of the Champions League again after beating AC Milan, Benfica and Shaktar Donetsk. However by April there was a lot of criticism from the press and the fans after the 1–0 loss to Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup quarter final and the 1–0 loss to 10 man Motherwell in the league. But he proved the critics wrong again and after beating Rangers twice at home, on 22 May 2008, Strachan became only the third ever Celtic manager to guide the club to three consecutive Scottish league titles.

After failing to lead Celtic to another league title in the 2008/09 season, he stepped down as manager on 25 May 2009.[6][7]

Middlesbrough

Strachan was appointed manager of Championship team Middlesbrough on 26 October 2009, in succession to Gareth Southgate and signed a four-year contract.[8][9]

Ironically, he had been linked with the Middlesbrough manager's job 15 years earlier, when still a Leeds United player.[10]

His first game in charge was on 31 October where Middlesbrough lost 1–0 to Plymouth Argyle with Adam Johnson missing a penalty.[11] On 5 December 2009, Middlesbrough won their first match under Strachan, 5–1 away to Queens Park Rangers.[12] after a poor run of results including a 3–0 loss at home to Blackpool and a 1–0 loss at home to Cardiff City Strachan got his first home win- 3–0 against Scunthorpe.[13]

After a poor start to the 2010–11 season with Middlesbrough in 20th place,[14] Strachan left the club by mutual consent on 18 October,[15] and voluntarily tore up his contract,[16] meaning that the club did not have to pay him compensation for the two and a half years remaining on his deal.[15][17]

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Seen him say at the weekend he had no aspirations to ever manage again.

He's certainly proved himself capable of that.

Phil D. Rolls
07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
I think Gary MacKay is the best example of how an ex player with the best of intentions can find themselves getting dragged out of their depth. I think the best thing for Kano to do is steer well clear rather than set himself up as a figure of derision.

ballengeich
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Souness has no history of getting the best out of players he managed. Any success he had was entirely dependent on having a budget which dwarfed his rivals. Fortunately, the salary he'd demand rules him out of contention.

dangermouse
07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Strachan won how many titles with celtic ?
Was also the only one who managed to get them through to the group stages of the champions leauge .
Id say that makes him a good manager no :confused:
He is also a hibby and loves to play football the attacking way .
If we appointed him id be delighted .

GGTTH

He had more money to spend on his squad thn any other team and only really had one team to beat to win the league. I could have done that if given the chance. His results from his time down in England speak volumes about his ability to manage ion a limited budget. Crap!

J-C
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I think his health was an issue and that's why management for him has been a no no, happy as a well paid pundit.

ancient hibee
07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I have learned from an impeccable source that Sir Alex Ferguson is considering his future at Old Trafford.My contact in the boardroom at Easter Road tells me that his salary of £5million a year will be "no problem".

Andy74
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
He had more money to spend on his squad thn any other team and only really had one team to beat to win the league. I could have done that if given the chance. His results from his time down in England speak volumes about his ability to manage ion a limited budget. Crap!

He did win the titles by a decent distance both times. It's been tricky for Celtic since then has it not?

He also reached the last 16 of the Champions League twice and only lost to AC Milan, who won it, during extra time.

His record at the clubs in England other than Middlesbrough is pretty good. Coventry were certs to go down when he took over them and he kept them up for 4 or 5 yrs.

Southampton were also taken from a team looking like going down to 11th then 8th with an FA Cup Final and European qualification.

I don't see the point in talking down his record.

He'd also be one of the limited number of people we could appoint that would create a real interest here again.

Fife-Hibee
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I know Kano not everyone's cup of tea and folk think he's Hibs' version of Gary Mackay but I like his comments in the newspapers. He wears his heart on his sleeve and his latest comments about Rod Petrie having to reconsider his position are most welcome.

I have no problem with Kano being a representative of the fans. He says what most of us think.:agree:

Kano was going mental on saturday, cannae blame him mind !!

Baader
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Strachan would be a good shout. He would actually get people interested again. He can manage in the SPL no problem. Depends whether he;s interested or not. I would imagine he is.

O'Neill could be risky. But I have a feeling he'd be worth the risk.

Just glad we are looking for a manager. Past 12 months has been miserable.

Bad Martini
07-11-2011, 10:28 AM
**** that for an idea. He almost ruined Liverpool when managing us having much more money and resources hed ever have at. ER.

Noo way.

As for someone who would take no **** from players? We had a manager like that. John Collins. Remember? The boy who won us a cup (with Mowbrays team apparently...amazing. how Mowbray couldnae do it with "his" team). Anyway....Collins wisnae backed after that revolt....a revolt born from his kicking the arse of lazy, fat ,overpaid imposters.

Our board are about as culpable as our last string of ***** managers.

ENDOF

euro Hibby
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Taken from the observer..........

Graeme Souness

As a player, his name struck fear into opponents. As a manager, he has been more terrifying for his own clubs. Nearly two decades of sackings and disappointment after his success at Rangers, Souness, remarkably, still rates himself as one of the big guns. He spent nearly £50m on a relegation battle at Newcastle, and told Deco he wasn't going to cut it at Benfica - replacing him with Sheffield Wednesday's Mark Pembridge - but it's at Liverpool where the wrecking ball did most damage. Britain's most successful club are still recovering today. Souness doesn't so much lose the dressing room as rarely find it to start with.

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Michael O'Neill is fav to get the job skysport news reporting.

So Berwick and now shamrock Rovers makes this guy a good choice for the Hibs job.

Another ex Hibs player route- will we never learn that our ex players don't make good managers.

Speedway
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM

So Berwick and now shamrock Rovers makes this guy a good choice for the Hibs job.

Another ex Hibs player route- will we never learn that our ex players don't make good managers.

Brechin and Shamrock but I get your point.

Who had our most successful managers of the last 50 years managed before they came to Hibs?

lapsedhibee
07-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Brechin and Shamrock but I get your point.

Who had our most successful managers of the last 50 years managed before they came to Hibs?

Dunfermline, Aberdeen and Motherwell. :agree:

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
]Brechin[/B] and Shamrock but I get your point.

Sorry my internet is playing up so I hurried to get this message out before it went down again.

I dont have an answer to your question

I just wish the ex player route would close to be honest.

eastmainsmsh
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Wonder if he would be a good appointment ....Worked with BB at Falkirk

IWasThere2016
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Wonder if he would be a good appointment ....Worked with BB at Falkirk

We need someone to sort the back 4

Speedway
07-11-2011, 11:06 AM

Perhaps we could get a Scotland international defender who has played at both World Cups and Euro Championships to do that?

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 11:06 AM

:faf: :faf::faf:

Winston Ingram
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Superb. A man with no managerial experience whatsoever:thumbsup:

darwenhibby
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Souness did steer Liverpool through a trying period.

Yes Liverpool are to a degree still recovering.

What Liverpool where trying to achieve was a team predominatly of Englishmen to compete bothe on the domestic calendar and in Europe, when everyone was subjected to the 3 foreigners rules, which even Feruson struggled with.

He did not do a bad job a Blackburn and may have one challenge left in him.

Its just a suggestion guys no more we are all entitled to our opinion.

manx hibee
07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Rather see his missus at ER ;-)

here she is my dream woman :woohoo:

easty
07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Not sure it would happen but would love to see Jamie Redknapp considered as a replacement for CC. Talks a lot of sense, obvious contacts within the game which would have a win-win situation for both parties in his 1st managers job!

Totally agree. And we should pull out all the stops to get Harry from the Junior Apprentice to come in and be our new chairman as well.

lapsedhibee
07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure it would happen but would love to see Jamie Redknapp considered as a replacement for CC. Talks a lot of sense, obvious contacts within the game which would have a win-win situation for both parties in his 1st managers job!

Talks sense about on a par with Jim White.

Or, more succinctly, talks Jim White.

Bad Martini
07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
See nothing wrong with Louise Redknapp frequenting the East Stand pizza and pie serveries of an afternoon. The only problem would be fitting us all IN the concourse at once, whilst she's waiting on some bovril and a scotch pie :greengrin

Indeed, season tickets would sell far better to oggle the lovely Lou. And the team would get nae stick for their ***** play as we'd all be admiring her splendourous beauty.

Sorted. Make it so :thumbsup:

shagpile
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Forgotten something? Weir played for hearts. Usually enough to have his name removed from the list. Such is the blinkered attiude of some Hibs supporters.

RickyS
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
some fans on the Shamrock forum think this could be the job that he leaves them for
others don't have much nice to say!

Will be a very attractive job for MON. Not only will it pay a lot more than we can, but with Celtic and Rangers both looking awful these days, he must think he could build a team able to regularly challenge them over the next 3 or 4 years. Do that and he'll get an English Premier League job.

Hope I'm wrong, but I reckon this move will make sense for him.

Could be the one that might tempt him

Petrie wont get away with much more at this stage. If the next manager isn't backed financially their disinterested fanbase will give up completely. Much better time for him to be going for the job compared to when Calderwood took it.

Calderwood was on close to 300,000k

Hibs are a step down for MON at the moment. Squad is total ***** with no motivation other than earn the SPL TV money that's about to dry up. No earthly chance of reaching Europe, other than a friendly match in June.

My first impression when I moved over here in 1997 was that the standard of fitba in the SPL outside the gruesome twosome is no better than the LOI, and I have't seen much otherwise to sway my views. Been along to Hibs twice this season and it's wrist slitting time.

Not wearing my Rovers blinkers but apart from the cash(and I know that matters) but the Hibs job actually has less prospects than staying where he is,they are the Bray of the SPL.

Rovers were ***** when MON took over. The chap likes a challenge...

Hibs do have potential. Very good stadium, recently done up. State of the art training ground. The only thing not going for them is the first team squad, which is abysmal. MON has shown how good he is at improving that with the contacts he has and his eye for a player/bargain. Their chairman Rod Petrie wont survive another awful managerial appointment, so will have to give some financial backing to the manager this time round. If MON rights off this season with them, using it just to bring in some new players and decide what ones he wants rid of, he'd probably be in a position to finish 3rd or 4th next season. Easily achievable for a manager like MON. After that he could either go off to the English Championship, or knowing his ambition, take on the absolutely piss-poor Celtic and Rangers teams to try to get a spot in the top two over the next few years. Definitely an attractive enough position for a manager willing to put some time in to the job, despite the dodgy chairman.

He won't get 3 or 4 years, their fans won't give him that long. They want to win the league now, even though they can't and they won't. So they'll start screaming for someone else soon enough.

Alan Mannus thought he was too good for LOI football. Instead he's finding out what the benchmark is in the SPL

I really hope MON stays. If were going to move forward next season we need to keep the spine of the current squad and our manager.

Maybe they have deceided on a change of culture at the club, as we did 5 years ago, and could see MON as the man to spearhead the change. Past actions arent always a good indicator of future ones. Football clubs can learn from their mistakes.
It would be an attractive option for him but he defintely has a better chance of success with us than Hibs.

Feel that this is the only realistic job that MON would leave us for, The Northern Ireland job is one he might be interested in but he might feel to young. The only way i can see MON going is if he's giving a 3-4 year contract and total control over the staff both behind the scenes and playing side. MON would need to unearth some jems like he did here with the likes of Twigg and Sives.

Hamish
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM

With your Tayside hat on do you reckon Peter Houston would be in with a shout? Would he want the job?

ahibby
07-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting to see that Rod is leaving it to Scott Lindsay and Fyffe to select the new manager. I wonder if that was the case with the previouse ones. I don't have faith in Scott.

bawheid
07-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Fyffe to select the new manager.

A banana selecting the manager might not be a bad shout. Could it do any worse???

California-Hibs
07-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Roberto Martinez was spotted this afternoon by my friend, getting out of his car and walking inside Easter Road. Interesting...
Just thought i'd share the info.

In 2007 former club Swansea City approached Martínez, offering him the position of manager. He accepted the offer and soon brought success to the team, winning three consecutive Manager of the Month awards. He took Swansea to the League One title in the 2007–08 season, taking them back to England's second tier division after a 24-year absence. Martínez returned to Wigan Athletic in the role of manager in June 2009.

allezsauzee
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes i'm sure he's about to give up a premiership position to come to Hibs

Thecat23
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Roberto Martinez was spotted this afternoon by my friend, getting out of his car and walking inside Easter Road. Interesting...

You're mate is taking the Noel Hunt i think! Is he not still in charge at Wigan? Why leave an EPL side to come to Hibs? even if sacked he wouldn't look anywhere near us.

TRC
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
probably asking if we'd take Gary Caldwell back

Speedway
More chance of Roberto Maxwell getting the job.

California-Hibs
Yes i'm sure he's about to give up a premiership position to come to Hibs

Just passing on what i heard bud, that's all. Apparently he is very close to getting the sack.

allezsauzee
07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
probably asking if we'd take Gary Caldwell back

Things are so bad I'd seriously consider saying yes!

Andy74
07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Let's delete this before anyone thinks we might be taking this seriously!!

Jim44
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM

In 2007 former club Swansea City approached Martínez, offering him the position of manager. He accepted the offer and soon brought success to the team, winning three consecutive Manager of the Month awards. He took Swansea to the League One title in the 2007–08 season, taking them back to England's second tier division after a 24-year absence. Martínez returned to Wigan Athletic in the role of manager in June 2009.

You should choose your friends more carefully.:rolleyes:

LancashireHibby
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Can't see it happening with Martinez but I'll keep my ear to the ground....(those who know where I work will know what I mean :wink:)

smurf
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM

That's funny!

California-Hibs
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I know guys, i don't truly believe it either, just passing on what i heard though, thats all. My friend is not one whos known to pass on false info. Although he did say, ''it looked incredibly like him'', so alas it might not even be Roberto Martinez, just a look-alike...

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 12:24 PM

He was with Messi who Barca have just let go on a FREE :greengrin

Speedway
07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I know guys, i don't truly believe it either, just passing on what i heard though, thats all. My friend is not one whos known to pass on false info. Although he did say, ''it looked incredibly like him'', so alas it might not even be Roberto Martinez, just a look-alike...

You know who looks a bit like Martinez? Calderwood.

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting to see that Rod is leaving it to Scott Lindsay and Fyffe to select the new manager. I wonder if that was the case with the previouse ones. I don't have faith in Scott.

Aye ROD aint involved right enough !!!

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Aye right ....

Mr Petrie I've just been waiting for you to call... I turned down Aston Villa in the summer because i knew a bigger club like you were just waiting for the right time to appoint me

NO DANGER EPL to SPL ... eh .....nut

green glory
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Can anyone confirm if Csaba Laszlo was at ER at the behest of the board? If he was invited by the club, it seems pretty clear-cut to me. Why else would he have been there?

Sylar
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Why do people make stories up rather than just admit they have no idea what's going on, who the club might be interested and what approaches have been made? :confused:

HH81
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Can't see it happening with Martinez but I'll keep my ear to the ground....(those who know where I work will know what I mean :wink:)

Job centre? :-)

lapsedhibee
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

I drove past the ground today on my way to Parts Center and also saw someone who looked a bit like someone else. :agree:

frazeHFC
07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Roberto Martinez :faf: :tee hee: :rotflmao:

cabbageandribs1875
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
c'mon Mr strachan, just accept the job offer....you know it makes sense :I'm waiti

Cabbage East
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I've just seen Martinez on Easter Road. He was in Greggs. He went for 2 chicken bakes, a sausage roll, a steak bake and 4 chicken chargrills. Greedy bast*rd.

pentlando
07-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I've just seen Martinez on Easter Road. He was in Greggs. He went for 2 chicken bakes, a sausage roll, a steak bake and 4 chicken chargrills. Greedy bast*rd.

Maybe its been him who's successfully scared off the seagulls :dunno: :greengrin

At The Edge
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM

didn't go for the new festive bakes? not Hibs class! :greengrin
oh aye and no fudge donut!.....pfft

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Can anyone confirm if Csaba Laszlo was at ER at the behest of the board? If he was invited by the club, it seems pretty clear-cut to me. Why else would he have been there?

This was confirmed by several newspapers at the weekend also confirmed in todays EEN

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/colin_calderwood_sacked_by_hibs_ahead_of_agm_after _angry_fans_turn_on_rod_petrie_1_1951771

Cabbage East
07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
No mention of Burley yet?...

Petrie's Tache
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Think we should go for a double of Viera and Pires as player managers.

GreenPJ
07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Diddy Hamman resigns as manager of Stockport :wink:

Golden Bear
07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Diddy Hamman resigns as manager of Stockport :wink:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3919968/Dietmar-Hamann-resigns-as-Stockport-County-boss.html

Not Hibs class I'm afraid.:wink:

essexhibee
07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Czaba Laslo? :rolleyes:

Please god no. Where would the sense be in that? Don't think he would have been there as a replacement already lined up IMO, Petrie wouldn't be that public with Caldo still there at the time surely? Saying that, i can't understand why else he would be there...

Andy74
07-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Czaba Laslo? :rolleyes:

Please god no. Where would the sense be in that? Don't think he would have been there as a replacement already lined up IMO, Petrie wouldn't be that public with Caldo still there at the time surely? Saying that, i can't understand why else he would be there...

No chance. He wouldn't be there as a club guest if he as about to take CC's job.

I don't think we've dropped that low.

Anyway, he was gash and talked incessant pish.

hibernianyank
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Anyone know the latest odds?

RickyS
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone know the latest odds?

Michael O'Neill
9/4
John McGlynn
16/1
Aidy Boothroyd
25/1
Jim Jefferies
3/1
Brian Kerr
16/1
Jim Gannon
33/1
Billy Brown
9/2
John Collins
20/1
Nigel Worthington
33/1
Jimmy Calderwood
15/2
Pat Fenlon
20/1
Kevin Keegan
33/1
Gordon Strachan
10/1
Chris Coleman
20/1
Chris Sutton
33/1
Billy Davies
10/1
Paul Hartley
20/1
Franck Sauzee
33/1
Billy Stark
12/1
Jim Magilton
20/1
Craig Brown
33/1
Danny Lennon
12/1
Gary McAllister
20/1
John Hartson
50/1
Terry Butcher
12/1
Derek Adams
20/1
Tony Mowbray
66/1
Gary Bollan
12/1
Henrik Larsson
20/1
John Hughes
66/1
Paul Cook
14/1
Stephen Pressley
20/1
Martin O'Neill
100/1
John Robertson
14/1
Roy Aitken
20/1
Neil Lennon
100/1
Steve Clarke
16/1
Iain Dowie
25/1
Phil Brown
16/1
Alan Curbishley
25/1

Franck Stanton
07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Its beyond me how anyone could be going for Michael O'Neil in front of Strachan? MON may be the next Alex Ferguson but we cant afford to take that chance at this moment in time. We are in a very bad place just now and need to get someone in who knows what he's doing. How can anyone tout MON in front of someone who has managed in the premiership (and forget all these misleading stats posted, they dont tell the true story of how hard a job Coventry or Southampton was). And, managed celtic to however many titles, knows the SPL, took on the best in Europe in the CL, but hey you would rather have MON who is doing a fantastic job but its in Ireland with Shamrock Rovers. We are three managers on from taking these chances AGAIN.

Even if MON was a success he'd be off in under a year anyway. We need a no nonsense experienced manager who can steady the ship and get results and crowds back. MON may well be the answer and the next best thing but the gamble at this point is too big to take for Hibs, IMO.

I would be delighted if Strachan would even consider the job!

The point being, Strachan would not consider taking the job. Being realistic, we can count out the Strachans, Souness, Redknaps etc etc etc, so, looking at the up-and-coming managers, O'Neil , imo [and it seems in quite a few others as well], is a stand-out. This doesn't mean he is a better manager than Strachan, merely someone who we could realisticly tempt to the club.

Brizo
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Just like my grannys budgie Hibs will go cheep. Strachan or anyone else whose unemployed and had EPL / Championship management experience wouldnt get out of bed for what Hibs will be offering salary wise and more importantly budget wise. Gadgies like him know coming to Hibs is the potential managers graveyard , make a mess of it here and theres no chance of getting a gig dahn sarf again. Strachan and others will sit tight doing their media stuff until something comes up at Championship level.

The Board are in the firing line and thats why I dont think they will risk a "controversial" choice that might split the fans like JJ , Czaba or Jimmy Calderwood (although the prospect of being able to pass Colins training gear over to Jimmy might appeal to Rod). I also think MON is on an upward trajectory at Shamrock thats taken him beyond Hibs and he will be looking for his next job to be in Englandshire

If I was a betting man id shove a couple of quid on Brian Reid at Ayr.

Franck Stanton
07-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Whilst being an ex-player should not be a qualification for the managers job, neither should it be a disadvantage. O'Neil is showing all the signs of being a good manager, read the comments on Shamrock Rovers forum, they mostly all state he is a good man-manager and point out the improvement in a number of their players since he took over. He organises the team well, tending to play players in their natural positions, [ now theres a novel approach ], always analyses the game and is not afraid to change to "Plan B" when "A" isn't working. Yes he would be a gamble, but hey, who, [that we can affoard] wouldn't be ?

Golden Bear
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
The point being, Strachan would not consider taking the job. Being realistic, we can count out the Strachans, Souness, Redknaps etc etc etc, so, looking at the up-and-coming managers, O'Neil , imo [and it seems in quite a few others as well], is a stand-out. This doesn't mean he is a better manager than Strachan, merely someone who we could realisticly tempt to the club.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Strachan is already on record as having said that he would like to be a Hibs Manager "one day" and I'm pretty sure that he'll already be financially very well off so I don't necessarily think the wage on offer would be a deciding factor.

lapsedhibee
07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
No chance. He wouldn't be there as a club guest if he as about to take CC's job.

Shabby was these things but so have been our last three managers.

Where is Hurly Burley now? Why is he not getting a mention? If we're going to have a jambo ******* he'd be better than Shabby or the Fat One.

Franck Stanton
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Strachan is already on record as having said that he would like to be a Hibs Manager "one day" and I'm pretty sure that he'll already be financially very well off so I don't necessarily think the wage on offer would be a deciding factor.

Time will tell, cannae see it though. Dont get me wrong, IF he did accept the gig, am of the opinion would certainly sort us out, just cannae see it happening.

Billy Whizz
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
There must be a good 1st team coach/ assistant manager somewhere ready to step up, similar to Mowbray joining Hibs. If you look at St Johnstone they brought in West Ham's reserve Team manager
If O'Neil was to get the job there would be the following Nationalities Managing the SPL
N. Ireland - 4
Scottish - 6
Portuguese - 1
English -1

Jones28
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Willie McCartney was the man behind us putting together the famous five. That was after a 16 year stewardship at Hearts.

If JJ get's the job, some folk really need to get over themselves.

Well said:agree:

Golden Bear
07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Time will tell, cannae see it though. Dont get me wrong, IF he did accept the gig, am of the opinion would certainly sort us out, just cannae see it happening.

:agree:

He's just the high profile experienced Manager we need right now.

'Mon the wee ginger fud!

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Strachan is also on record as saying he has no interest in going back into football management.

At The Edge
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Sportsounds Chris McLaughlin has just said Steve Clark is the new bookies favourite to be the next manager?
Didn't say which bookie

Billy Whizz
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Sportsounds Chris McLaughlin has just said Steve Clark is the new bookies favourite to be the next manager?
Didn't say which bookie

Heard that too, was he not close to the job last time. Might get Jose to loan us a few Real Madrid squad players

Westie1875
07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Didn't say which bookie

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/hibernian-specials/next-permanent-manager

Still O'Neill according to this, Clarke at 16/1

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Didn't say which bookie

I remember him saying on TV when he was not working (maybe before CC's appointment) that he would have liked to have managed Hibs but was not contacted.

Not so sure that he would leave Anfield for Easter Road.

brydekirk
07-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Diddy Hamman resigns as manager of Stockport :wink: Diddy

Jim44
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Didn't say which bookie

I remember him saying on TV when he was not working (maybe before CC's appointment) that he would have liked to have managed Hibs but was not contacted.

I have a vague recollection of the money on offer being unattractive. :dunno:

NOLA
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM

reminds me of someone else :hmmm:

Billy Whizz
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Was it not not more to do with the number of backroom staff he wanted to bring.

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Anyway he's the same odds as a certain John Hughes so I would say that it will be neither.

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 06:23 PM

My recollection was Hibs wanted Clarke but they could not agree terms (strangely enough!) both his personal and for a transfer budget

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
My recollection was Hibs wanted Clarke but they could not agree terms (strangely enough!) both his personal and for a transfer budget

He had a brief (10 minute) telephone conversation with Hibs but obviously it didn't go any further.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/205551-video-steve-clarkes-full-interview-with-friday-night-football/

8 mins.

Barney McGrew
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Didn't say which bookie

I think he's made an arse of it TBH - he mentioned looking at online odds before he came on air, and if you google 'Hibs manager odds' one of the first links that comes up mentions Clarke as being favourite.

Unfortunately for McLaughlin it was an article from this time last year :greengrin

I'm betting he didn't check the date on it, and that's how he's arrived at the name. Shame the BBC then spent five minutes discussing it :tee hee:

hibernianyank
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Michael O'Neill 9/4John McGlynn 16/1Aidy Boothroyd 25/1Jim Jefferies 3/1Brian Kerr 16/1Jim Gannon 33/1Billy Brown 9/2John Collins 20/1Nigel Worthington 33/1Jimmy Calderwood 15/2Pat Fenlon 20/1Kevin Keegan 33/1Gordon Strachan 10/1Chris Coleman 20/1Chris Sutton 33/1Billy Davies 10/1Paul Hartley 20/1Franck Sauzee 33/1Billy Stark 12/1Jim Magilton 20/1Craig Brown 33/1Danny Lennon 12/1Gary McAllister 20/1John Hartson 50/1Terry Butcher 12/1Derek Adams 20/1Tony Mowbray 66/1Gary Bollan 12/1Henrik Larsson 20/1John Hughes 66/1Paul Cook 14/1Stephen Pressley 20/1Martin O'Neill 100/1John Robertson 14/1Roy Aitken 20/1Neil Lennon 100/1Steve Clarke 16/1Iain Dowie 25/1Phil Brown 16/1Alan Curbishley 25/1 Cheers for that!

Mark79
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Couple of texts tonight suggesting that burley has been approached. Whether its true or not I don't know.

Stick his name on the list.

Sammy7nil
07-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Couple of texts tonight suggesting that burley has been approached. Whether its true or not I don't know.

:taxi:taxi:taxi

Chibs
07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
For me I would say yes. The biggest mistake the ****bos made was sacking him .

In my opinion I would have no problem with Burley as the next manager.

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Get Rod tae F*** and then bring in

Pat Nevin as Chief Exec

John Collins or Michael O'Neill or Gordon Strachan with Le God and Wee Russell as his coaches.

ScottB
07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Get Rod tae F*** and then bring in

Pat Nevin as Chief Exec

John Collins or Michael O'Neill or Gordon Strachan with Le God and Wee Russell as his coaches.

Again, where does this fascination with Pat Nevin come from? Because he talked us up in the Mowbray years and comes to the odd game?

He was Chief Exec at Motherwell when they did bugger all, spent themselves into oblivion then stiffed all their creditors and most of their squad.

If those are the actions of the much vaunted 'Football Man' that some folk want, I'd rather stick with the devil you know.

erin go bragh
07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Again, where does this fascination with Pat Nevin come from? Because he talked us up in the Mowbray years and comes to the odd game?

He was Chief Exec at Motherwell when they did bugger all, spent themselves into oblivion then stiffed all their creditors and most of their squad.

If those are the actions of the much vaunted 'Football Man' that some folk want, I'd rather stick with the devil you know.

He is a season ticket holder , has been for a number of years .

ggtth

Barney McGrew
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
He is a season ticket holder , has been for a number of years

So am I, but it doesn't qualify me to run a football club :wink:

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 08:17 PM

All about opinions mate but as far as I'm concerned ROD has to go. Takes the acclaim for the stadium & EM but really our great crop of youth paid for them.
Who replaces him I don't know but I threw in Nevin as a possible

Anyway it was more the management team with Sauzee and Latapy in as coaches that I want. Believe these two could bring a real feel good factor back with the fans

bingo70
07-11-2011, 08:40 PM

I replied to this before the thread was merged but my response seems to have dissapeared?

Anyway, i think he'd be a terrific appointment, downfall at Scotland was his insistance on playing entertaining football and although just now all everyone wants is a winning team in the bigger picture if we're going to start filling this stand it's important we're entertaining as well as winning.

Still lives in Edinburgh (got a house at the grange i believe), will have good contacts after his spell in international football and be keen to get it right up the dumbos.

Andy74
07-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I'd like him to go now too but Rod didn't just get lucky with selling players and land.

Look at Dundee Utd and others who have had to sell very good players at knock down prices. We got good money because we could. We weren't desperate.

Rod took steps years ago that weren't understood and weren't popular at the time and had us a step ahead of all the others when the money started to go.

The football side of things should be better than it is though and for that reason I think it's time to move on.

Let's not try and pretend that our good position off the park was lucky or easy though.

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
All about opinions mate but as far as I'm concerned ROD has to go. Takes the acclaim for the stadium & EM but really our great crop of youth paid for them.
Who replaces him I don't know but I threw in Nevin as a possible

Anyway it was more the management team with Sauzee and Latapy in as coaches that I want. Believe these two could bring a real feel good factor back with the fans

Based on what? That they were good players for us?

Lawrie Reilly played longer and scored more goals. At least he turns up at ER.

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I'd like him to go now too but Rod didn't just get lucky with selling players and land.

Look at Dundee Utd and others who have had to sell very good players at knock down prices. We got good money because we could. We weren't desperate.

Rod took steps years ago that weren't understood and weren't popular at the time and had us a step ahead of all the others when the money started to go.

The football side of things should be better than it is though and for that reason I think it's time to move on.

Let's not try and pretend that our good position off the park was lucky or easy though.

Far too sensible a post Andy. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
07-11-2011, 09:58 PM
He is a season ticket holder , has been for a number of years .

ggtth

So am I

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Hope the phone call has already been made.

Sven yes its different why not.

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM

this list is growing arms and legs who is next on the list Glenn Hoddle ?

Row H
07-11-2011, 10:31 PM

:yawn::trumpet:

Hermit Crab
07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
For me I would say yes. The biggest mistake the ****bos made was sacking him .

In my opinion I would have no problem with Burley as the next manager.

100% agree :agree: Thier loss IMO

steakbake
07-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I would be very glad to see someone like Burley at ER. When I say 'someone like', I don't just mean in an "ageing former Hearts boss" way.

ballengeich
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM

:top marks

NOLA
07-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Mike Basset

matty_f
07-11-2011, 10:45 PM

:agree: IMHO, the board have made some great decisions and have given the club the platform to kick on from, however I don't think that they have what's needed to take the club on. I think a change is due.:agree:

eastmainsmsh
07-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Dietmar Hamman has a great CV would be astute appointment :aok:

MrRobot
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Sauzee as Assistant Manager and Collins as Manager. That would do for me. And the full backing of the board when dealing with transfers. No chance though.

SteveHFC
07-11-2011, 11:24 PM
BILLY BROWN will be given time to land the Hibs job for keeps.

The ex-Hearts No2 has been handed the reins as caretaker manager after Colin Calderwood's sacking on Sunday night.
And he is now in pole position to win the job until at least the end of the season. It's believed Brown only agreed to be assistant to Calderwood two months ago on the condition he too wasn't binned if results didn't improve

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3920803/Hibs-will-hand-Brown-his-chance.html#ixzz1d4KLixPQ

O'Neil and Lennon mentioned

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
[h=2 It's believed Brown only agreed to be assistant to Calderwood two months ago on the condition he too wasn't binned if results didn't improve

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3920803/Hibs-will-hand-Brown-his-chance.html#ixzz1d4KLixPQ

Believed by whom?

I smell sheite!

NOLA
07-11-2011, 11:49 PM
John Sitton, but only if he brings his own dinner :wink:

El Gubbz
08-11-2011, 12:00 AM
How about we just employ Romanov? Fans want a new chairman and need a manager. 2 birds one stone.

California-Hibs
08-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd be delighted if we got George Burley in as manager, would be a superb appointment!! :agree:

scottyc1875
08-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Don't normally post but think this could be the man for the job. Someone who would commit for the long haul! http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/ian-mcparland-is-a-hibby/

I know this is an old link however it is a somewhat ironic read even CC gets a mention!

Johnny_Leith
08-11-2011, 01:59 AM
George burley has a huge problem with the drink and is not the sort of person we need to overhaul the culture at Hibernian. His last gig in the championship was terrible as was his attempt at managing scotland, not for me.

basehibby
08-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Don't normally post but think this could be the man for the job. Someone who would commit for the long haul! :not worth

I know this is an old link however it is a somewhat ironic read even CC gets a mention!

Interesting hat to throw into the ring - particularly with his history as the caretaker prior to Calderwood taking the Forest job...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McParland

...he had a really impressive run there with Forest - wonder why Notts County later gave him the boot ?

A good shout but MON still has my vote on recent managerial form and potential.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Whilst being an ex-player should not be a qualification for the managers job, neither should it be a disadvantage. O'Neil is showing all the signs of being a good manager, read the comments on Shamrock Rovers forum, they mostly all state he is a good man-manager and point out the improvement in a number of their players since he took over. He organises the team well, tending to play players in their natural positions, [ now theres a novel approach ], always analyses the game and is not afraid to change to "Plan B" when "A" isn't working. Yes he would be a gamble, but hey, who, [that we can affoard] wouldn't be ?

We are 1 point of the bottom so do you think were in a position to take a gamble :confused:

Get someone in who knows what their doing because Hibs are not Shamrock Rovers our ambition and status are at a higher level.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Every manager is a gamble, why is someone that's failed at a club previously less of a gamble than someone that's only ever been q success?

TowerHibs
08-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Reading between the lines in the papers today I would say Billy Brown looks a cert to get the job! We were told that BB was brought in by CC but why would CC bring in a number 2 who insisted that should the manager be sacked, BB has to be kept on!

Looks like if they do name another man as number 1 then he is already being told who his assistant is goin to be. It's shocking high level management from the board

bingo70
08-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Reading between the lines in the papers today I would say Billy Brown looks a cert to get the job! We were told that BB was brought in by CC but why would CC bring in a number 2 who insisted that should the manager be sacked, BB has to be kept on! Looks like if they do name another man as number 1 then he is already being told who his assistant is goin to be. It's shocking high level management from the boardNot really, if we go for someone with no spl managerial experience then I think its good to insist on them to have an experienced assistant

offshorehibby
08-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Don't normally post but think this could be the man for the job. Someone who would commit for the long haul! http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

I mentioned McParland last time and have mentioned this time. Could be a good shout. He knows all about the Hibs.

Interesting hat to throw into the ring - particularly with his history as the caretaker prior to Calderwood taking the Forest job...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McParland

...he had a really impressive run there with Forest - wonder why Notts County later gave him the boot ?

A good shout but MON still has my vote on recent managerial form and potential.

I seem to remember County were playing well and he got punted to bring in the high profile Sven did he not.

As above my vote is for MON but i'd be happy with McP

capitals_finest
08-11-2011, 08:07 AM
This is how i see it going....

Billy Brown given a few games. If we get the results then he will be made permanent manager with the possibility of JJ being his number two later down the line.

If he doesn't get the results then I don't honestly know who Petrie will choose but can't see JJ getting the managers job.

cannastar
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
surprised greg abbott whose in charge of carlisle united hasnt had a mention so far.he has taken his team to wembley twice recently and has built a good young team who play their football on the floor.dont think it would take a million dollars to lure him away from carlisle as it would be a step up taking on the likes of rangers and celtic which im sure would be a challenge he would appreciate.could certainly not do much worse than what we have had recently.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2011, 10:57 AM
surprised greg abbott whose in charge of carlisle united hasnt had a mention so far.he has taken his team to wembley twice recently and has built a good young team who play their football on the floor.dont think it would take a million dollars to lure him away from carlisle as it would be a step up taking on the likes of rangers and celtic which im sure would be a challenge he would appreciate.could certainly not do much worse than what we have had recently.

Why not, i fancy a trip to wembley. :greengrin

pogo
08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
We are 1 point of the bottom so do you think were in a position to take a gamble :confused:

Get someone in who knows what their doing because Hibs are not Shamrock Rovers our ambition and status are at a higher level.

Have to admit I was a bit surprised at this comment. Ok, winning the LOI over the last 2 seasons may not be a massive achievement ( try telling that to a Shamrock Rovers fan! ), although given Rovers position over previous years, was still a great bit of work. In fairness though, he's taken them into the group stages of the Europa Cup, and had them playing some nice football against top quality opposition.

Given this, what ambition and higher level are you referring to? I hope we're not getting as deluded as those unfortunates on the other side of the city (winning the league/Champions League/400000 fans/2 world wars/etc.)

Lets assume that LOI is a lower standard than SPL (personally I would agree with this, although lots of fans over here would argue this), but his other achievements surely have to make him one of the top candidates.

I think it would be a good appointment, but would probably only be for a couple of seasons, as I think his ambition would be for a Championship/EPL position sooner, rather than later.

Any appointment is going to be a gamble, as we just don't know how he will work within the restrictions of the job, as has been shown in the past (Mowbray)

Could be good for each other though.

:flag:

cannastar
08-11-2011, 11:36 AM
nice one blackpool hibs...,obviously hampden would be where we would go, but seriously if you look at his record in the transfer market/loan signings it is very impressive.carlisle have been able to give game time to some good young players who have progressed to first team football for their parent clubs...tim krul the newcastle united goalkeeper being the most high profile recently.abbott himself seems to have a way of getting the best out of his players and has a passion that has been posted missing from the hibs dugout for at least a year now.looking down the list of potential candidates for the hibs hotseat it would appear to include many who have been removed from their positions with a football club albeit some were plying their trade at higher levels,but here we have a guy who with extremely limited fiunding has turned carlisle into an outfit who are good to watch and hold their own with the majority of teams in their division and is ambitious enough to want to take them up a division to test himself as a manager and the team he has assembled.

The Green Goblin
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
some fans on the Shamrock forum think this could be the job that he leaves them for
others don't have much nice to say!

Will be a very attractive job for MON. Not only will it pay a lot more than we can, but with Celtic and Rangers both looking awful these days, he must think he could build a team able to regularly challenge them over the next 3 or 4 years. Do that and he'll get an English Premier League job.

Hope I'm wrong, but I reckon this move will make sense for him.

Could be the one that might tempt him

Petrie wont get away with much more at this stage. If the next manager isn't backed financially their disinterested fanbase will give up completely. Much better time for him to be going for the job compared to when Calderwood took it.

Calderwood was on close to 300,000k

Hibs are a step down for MON at the moment. Squad is total ***** with no motivation other than earn the SPL TV money that's about to dry up. No earthly chance of reaching Europe, other than a friendly match in June.

My first impression when I moved over here in 1997 was that the standard of fitba in the SPL outside the gruesome twosome is no better than the LOI, and I have't seen much otherwise to sway my views. Been along to Hibs twice this season and it's wrist slitting time.

Not wearing my Rovers blinkers but apart from the cash(and I know that matters) but the Hibs job actually has less prospects than staying where he is,they are the Bray of the SPL.

Rovers were ***** when MON took over. The chap likes a challenge...

Hibs do have potential. Very good stadium, recently done up. State of the art training ground. The only thing not going for them is the first team squad, which is abysmal. MON has shown how good he is at improving that with the contacts he has and his eye for a player/bargain. Their chairman Rod Petrie wont survive another awful managerial appointment, so will have to give some financial backing to the manager this time round. If MON rights off this season with them, using it just to bring in some new players and decide what ones he wants rid of, he'd probably be in a position to finish 3rd or 4th next season. Easily achievable for a manager like MON. After that he could either go off to the English Championship, or knowing his ambition, take on the absolutely piss-poor Celtic and Rangers teams to try to get a spot in the top two over the next few years. Definitely an attractive enough position for a manager willing to put some time in to the job, despite the dodgy chairman.

He won't get 3 or 4 years, their fans won't give him that long. They want to win the league now, even though they can't and they won't. So they'll start screaming for someone else soon enough.

Alan Mannus thought he was too good for LOI football. Instead he's finding out what the benchmark is in the SPL

I really hope MON stays. If were going to move forward next season we need to keep the spine of the current squad and our manager.

Maybe they have deceided on a change of culture at the club, as we did 5 years ago, and could see MON as the man to spearhead the change. Past actions arent always a good indicator of future ones. Football clubs can learn from their mistakes.
It would be an attractive option for him but he defintely has a better chance of success with us than Hibs.

Feel that this is the only realistic job that MON would leave us for, The Northern Ireland job is one he might be interested in but he might feel to young. The only way i can see MON going is if he's giving a 3-4 year contract and total control over the staff both behind the scenes and playing side. MON would need to unearth some jems like he did here with the likes of Twigg and Sives.

That assessment of Hibs is probably the best objective description of things I have ever read. The guy knows more about the way things are at the club than most of the Hibs support. :greengrin

GG

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
nice one blackpool hibs...,obviously hampden would be where we would go, but seriously if you look at his record in the transfer market/loan signings it is very impressive.carlisle have been able to give game time to some good young players who have progressed to first team football for their parent clubs...tim krul the newcastle united goalkeeper being the most high profile recently.abbott himself seems to have a way of getting the best out of his players and has a passion that has been posted missing from the hibs dugout for at least a year now.looking down the list of potential candidates for the hibs hotseat it would appear to include many who have been removed from their positions with a football club albeit some were plying their trade at higher levels,but here we have a guy who with extremely limited fiunding has turned carlisle into an outfit who are good to watch and hold their own with the majority of teams in their division and is ambitious enough to want to take them up a division to test himself as a manager and the team he has assembled.

I was only jesting. :wink: To be honest, i know nothing about this guy but you certainly seem to rate him highly. And he does seem to tick a lot of the boxes with what you say. :agree:

Cropley10
08-11-2011, 12:11 PM
So am I, but it doesn't qualify me to run a football club :wink:

Yes it does.

cannastar
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
nae probs bh i thought you were joking...i dont follow carlisle all that closely despite living here,but most of their fans appear to back him though there is always the minority who dont but they are the ones who think carlisle should be in the premiership slogging it out with the man us and man citys liverpool etc...as i stated previously he took carlisle to wembley last season and won the trophy,and the season before he led them to the final only to be well beaten by southampton,who are this season at present sitting on top of the championship.the manager of the southampton team in that final was one alan pardew who moved on to newcastle united and we all know where he has taken them to....top five in premiership.so perhaps it was no great shame being beaten by that side who are still pretty much unchanged,and to abbotts credit he took carlisle to the same final the year following and succeeded this time.i think that shows a strength in carachter of the man himself and also a managerial skill as he rebuilt his team as i think the startng line up the second year only contained two of the starting eleven who played southampton in the final the year previously.

08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't want him anywhere near ER.

:agree: decent manager but I think I would find it very very difficult to support him as I have always had a strong dislike for him.