PDA

View Full Version : Possible Manager Replacements?

SteveHFC
06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
If CC leaves. Who would we like to see come in?

Possible Replacements:
John Collins
Terry Butcher
Billy Davies
Jim Jeffries
Gordon Strachen
Roy Aitken
Danny Lennon

Would take Collins back or Davies as manager.

iwasthere1972
06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Billy Davies for me.

Petrie's Tache
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Would like to see Luggy given a chance!

He was interested before. In addition to this he only had four player signed on a full time basis when he took over at Southend, has had to source and build himself a new team on a shoestring budget (Petrie take note) and is now top of the league Played 17 Won 12 Lost 3 Drawn 2 and 2 points clear of big spending Crawley and +7 on the goals also.:agree:

Good man manager, gets respect from players and could bring a no nonsense No2 in Sloop Blackley as they worked together for a while.

Littlest Hobo
06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm no sure anyone would like the job......i wouldn't after watching us huff and puff yesterday against the worst team in the league.

Unless the new manager brings in three new players of real quality i really don't see how a new manager can turn things around.

Some of those Hibs players yesterday really need to have a good look at themselves.

Basic skills like being switched on for the whole game, cutting out cross balls, winning your individual battles. All deserted each and everyone of them yesterday.

We have a few cowards in our team at the minute who are hiding, some are tied into contracts for another one,two or three seasons..i dispare, i really do!

Bring in yet another manager..who brings in more *****y average players and it's back to were we are again. I'm no sure if I can go through all this again.

R'Albin
06-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Billy Davies for me.

Ditto!

bingo70
06-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Would like to see Luggy given a chance!

He was interested before. In addition to this he only had four player signed on a full time basis when he took over at Southend, has had to source and build himself a new team on a shoestring budget (Petrie take note) and is now top of the league Played 17 Won 12 Lost 3 Drawn 2 and 2 points clear of big spending Crawley and +7 on the goals also.:agree:

Good man manager, gets respect from players and could bring a no nonsense No2 in Sloop Blackley as they worked together for a while.

I know a member of staff at Plymouth and from what i heard his health issues would be a problem so i'd be reluctant to go for him.

I'd like us to go for a young up and coming manager that could potentially be brilliant instead of an older experienced manager thats only ever had experience of being average.

Petrie's Tache
06-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I know a member of staff at Plymouth and from what i heard his health issues would be a problem so i'd be reluctant to go for him.

I'd like us to go for a young up and coming manager that could potentially be brilliant instead of an older experienced manager thats only ever had experience of being average.

You would think a mild form of Parkinsons wouldn't be an issue. Also how much coming out of Plymouth would be true relating to him, given how he left?

Better than average I think in terrms of management of players and working to budgets, also an average 50% win rate as manager and 2 promotions isn't too shabby.:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I am still trying to work out what is best:

Old Head - Been there, seen it, done it with steady results and mid to top table hisory.

Up and Coming - Has started reasonably well at another club, no real success yet but looks like needs a step up.

Ex Player with reasonable success - Has achieved great results in a lower league, will be accepted by most right away.

Player Manager - An experienced player with plenty still to offer in leadership and ability on the pitch backed up by a recognised number two.

First job in management - was a decent player who has all the badges

I'm still thinking about putting the names to suit each one!

cam2644
06-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Billy Davies would be a good choice under the present sad circumstances.

offshorehibby
06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Billy Davies sounds great but could he work on the budget he'd get at ER. Michael O'Neil sounds good.

Pretty Boy
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Billy Davies for me

If he's not interested then Jimmy Calderwood. If you want a reason why then take a look at his very decent managerial record as oppposed to his 'look' or the way he talks.

DJ HIBBY
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I would take Billy Davies or Sean O'Driscoll

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Whoever comes in, in all reality has got to get the current squad or players match fit, and then back to the basics of shape, possession and tactics when we don't have the ball. The only thing that works in our favour is that no incoming manager will be under any illusions. My money would be on an out of work manager, that isn't a nobody.

ekhibee
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
daft as it may sound, what about Paul Hartley?

Petrie's Tache
06-11-2011, 03:13 PM

See above

R'Albin
06-11-2011, 03:16 PM

:hilarious

SteveHFC
06-11-2011, 03:17 PM

:faf:

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Derek Adams is doing well with Ross County at the moment!

Diclonius
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Strachan please.

Franck Stanton
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM

NEVER ever, AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SquashedFrogg
06-11-2011, 03:33 PM
NEVER ever, AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why never ever? :confused:

Edit. Did you just type 'never ever' and then fall down a well?

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Strachan for me with BB as his assistant, there can be only one Gordon...

:wink:

Elephant Stone
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Michael O'Neill with Billy Brown as his assistant.

HibsMax
06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Boozy. :)

He knows everything that is wrong at Hibs and has passion.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I think we need a steadying, experienced head to settle things. Sturrock is a great shout but I'm not sure how much the Hibs job will be seen as a poisoned chalice.

nortonhibby
06-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Possible Replacements:
John Collins
Terry Butcher
Billy Davies
Jim Jeffries
Gordon Strachen
Roy Aitken
Danny Lennon

Collins would not return until RP Is gone, Terry Butcher would cost compo so thats a no no, Billy Davies would want a fortune so no chance, I Doubt fat Jim would take the gig, Strap on possibility again would not be cheap but could work, Roy Aitken doubt hed leave the gig he is at for us, And Danny Lennon again compo to be paid so no.

Cropley10
06-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Collins would not return until RP Is gone, Terry Butcher would cost compo so thats a no no, Billy Davies would want a fortune so no chance, I Doubt fat Jim would take the gig, Strap on possibility again would not be cheap but could work, Roy Aitken doubt hed leave the gig he is at for us, And Danny Lennon again compo to be paid so no.

We paid compo for CC and Mixu. How do you know JC wouldn't return? :confused:

PaulSmith
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Petrie has tried to get Paul Sturrock on two separate occasions, given his record of going back in for guys he has previously interviewed then might be the one to watch (even though his ambition is to manage Hearts)

Cropley10
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Strachan. Can't see it, sadly.

LancashireHibby
06-11-2011, 03:56 PM
If we want to see a return to passing football (not that we necessarily have the players capable of it) then one from left field could be Martinez if he gets the boot at Wigan...?

Elephant Stone
06-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Boozy. :)

He knows everything that is wrong at Hibs and has passion.

It must be a lot easier supporting Hibs over there in America at the moment, not many of us in the thick of it over here can see anything funny in what's going on.

jdships
06-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Possible Replacements:
John Collins
Terry Butcher
Billy Davies
Jim Jeffries
Gordon Strachen
Roy Aitken
Danny Lennon

John Collins - " Tried and found guilty " and hasn't worked since :bye:
Billy Davies - Always thought he has what it takes
The rest " Thanks but no thanks ":wink:

HibsMax
06-11-2011, 04:10 PM

and that is the major issue with the "CC must go". Who would we replace him with?

What if it would take 2 years of being a manager for CC (or any other manager for that matter) to develop into a great manager? That might be in the best interests of Hibs in the long-term but difficult for the fans to bear in the short-term.

At The Edge
06-11-2011, 04:17 PM
and that is the major issue with the "CC must go". Who would we replace him with?

What if it would take 2 years of being a manager for CC (or any other manager for that matter) to develop into a great manager? That might be in the best interests of Hibs in the long-term but difficult for the fans to bear in the short-term.

I hear what you're saying but in CC's time here at ER there has been no visable signs of progress, i could handle a team playing the right way, but not getting all the breaks, but visable signs that hes got a backbone of a good solid team and its something to work on

CC i'm afraid hasn't, he seemingly can't sort a defence out, which coming from an international player himself is hard to fathom out.

We stick with CC and i'm afraid in the short term we'll be playing at Falkirk, Livingston etc etc next season, that is a step too far in my book and i would gather most Hibs fans

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Billy Davies for me

If he's not interested then Jimmy Calderwood. If you want a reason why then take a look at his very decent managerial record as oppposed to his 'look' or the way he talks.

I dont get the Davies love in. When he was at Forest he outspent all the other clubs by a considerable margin and clashed repeatedly with the owner over lack of funds. Just what we need.

Cropley10
06-11-2011, 05:06 PM
John Collins - " Tried and found guilty " and hasn't worked since :bye:
Billy Davies - Always thought he has what it takes
The rest " Thanks but no thanks ":wink:

Collins has worked in Belgium. :bye:

grunt
06-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Just tweeted

brianmclauchlin (http://www.hibs.net/#!/brianmclauchlin)brian mclauchlin

Colin Calderwood has been sacked as manager of Hibs.

ballengeich
06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Collins has worked in Belgium. :bye:

and walked out of the club there after about a year. I don't think he's got the stomach for a struggle at management level.

Wotherspiniesta
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Billy Brown with Latapy as his assistant.

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
O'Neil has to be the choice.

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I wanted Phil Parkinson before we got Calderwood and he was out of a job. With him now at Bradford it seems unlikely so I'll go with O'Neil :agree:

Leishy1995
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Wee Russ Latapy. Or maybe Gordan Strachan.

GreenPJ
06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Csaba based in his visit yesterday ?

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
and walked out of the club there after about a year. I don't think he's got the stomach for a struggle at management level.

Was a lot less than a year.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Strachan please.

we are hibs
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
would love to see collins so he can get the team roaring back up the table:flag:

Scorrie
06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Gary Bollan wasnt on the list. Wasnt there a rumour earlier in the year about him? Whover it is, it needs to be a long term appointment who can last past the AGM

Fat Stu
06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Suprised no=ones mentioned john mcglynn, experinced manager, knows the scottish game and used to working within a tight budget?!?

hibee81
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I think that david wier should be offered the job, player manager, with bb on the sidelines when hes playing, at least get a half decent centre back playing for us.

basehibby
06-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Possible Replacements:
John Collins
Terry Butcher
Billy Davies
Jim Jeffries
Gordon Strachen
Roy Aitken
Danny Lennon

Michael O'Neill for me - he wants to come to the SPL, is out of contract and has shown genuine promise in transforming Shamrock Rovers from Irish League also rans into back to back champs and Europa League stage qualifiers. The latter of these achievements was trully startling and gives me the impression that he is not only capable of building a good team with little resources but also capable of motivating them to play way above themselves.
I get the impression he might turn out to be a bit special as a manager, and if so, this would probably be Hibs' only chance of signing him - so he's the man for me.

HibeeUnderwood
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
I think Luggy should stay where he is. Reason = My avatar! :wink:

I would like to see someone like Michael O'Neill or Billy Davies come in. I thought about putting Latapys name in there as well but I think he might need 1 or 2 more jobs and hope they go well before we start adding his name to the list. Davies hasn't been in Scottish football for a while and might be a good time to come back since he did a fairly good job at the teams he had down south. And O'Neill has done very well at Shamrock and I reckon he deserves a chance over here. :agree:

The Falcon
06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
would love to see collins so he can get the team roaring back up the table:flag:

Like we were when he left?

krobertson12
06-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Paul Sheerin and Colin Cameron from Arbroath and Cowden. Both play attacking football, relatively cheap to obtain, and far more pleasant on the ears with interviewed!

bighairyfaeleith
06-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Strachan for me

I would be happy enough with MO as well

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Strachan for me

Why? His record outside Celtic is very poor to say the least.

bighairyfaeleith
06-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=2974642)
Strachan for me

Why? His record outside Celtic is very poor to say the least.

His record at southampton was very good actually. Middlesborough didnt work out but if it wasnt for that we would have no chance at getting a manager of his calibre

HibeeMG
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't know who the next manager is going to be but to bring the whole club and support together he is going to have to be unanimously accepted as a good appointment and also get off to a good start.

southern hibby
06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
I know it would probably never happen, but if I had my way it would be alan curbishley. One of type who had Charlton playing some of their best footy for a long time.

Not sure about wages but to me RP has to push the boat out and get the next appointment spot on or he could be next to walk.

GGTTH.

Col2
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Michael O'Neill for me - he wants to come to the SPL, is out of contract and has shown genuine promise in transforming Shamrock Rovers from Irish League also rans into back to back champs and Europa League stage qualifiers. The latter of these achievements was trully startling and gives me the impression that he is not only capable of building a good team with little resources but also capable of motivating them to play way above themselves.
I get the impression he might turn out to be a bit special as a manager, and if so, this would probably be Hibs' only chance of signing him - so he's the man for me.

Exactly who I want and for the reasons you outline. A risk of an untried SPL manager? Yes but he has managed in Scotland and has roots in Edinburgh so no swanning off for half the week back home. Would make me excited about Hibs for first time in a long time.

Only other choice I would have is Billy Davies but I just can't see us being able to afford him and his expectations re budget.

Earl of Currie
06-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Michael O'Neill would be an ideal choice , has all the right qualities and with Billy Brown as an assistant alows him the opportunity to make the step up with experienced backing

nortonhibby
06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
We paid compo for CC and Mixu. How do you know JC wouldn't return? :confused:

I Got a mate a good Hibby he has followed the club for 20 years from Gala he is good mates with JC, HE TOLD ME.

micksoo
06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Michael O'Neil 2/1 favourite with Paddy Power Jumbo Jim 2nd at 4/1

Speedway
06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
What makes anyone think that any managerial appointment will change anything?

HibeeMG
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Seriously? You're asking that?

Stay away from all sharp objects!

hibsbollah
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Sauzee, Beuzelin or Jacques Cousteaux. If the new mans not French I will never return to Easter Road anrip up my season ticket. Or probably burn it.

TheMentalHibees
06-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Gordon Strachan please.

Elephant Stone
06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
The Shamrock Rovers fans seem like they really want to hang on to MO'N, a good indication.

http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS.

DH1875
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I wanted Phil Parkinson before we got Calderwood and he was out of a job. With him now at Bradford it seems unlikely so I'll go with O'Neil :agree:

I wanted Stuart McCall before we got Calderwood and look what's happened there :bitchy:. O'Neil will be offered the job but I fear he's not up to it.

Tricla
06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Seriously? You're asking that?

Stay away from all sharp objects!

How is it such a daft question?

A lot of folks seem to reckon the problems at ER run deeper than the managers position.

Not saying CC is perfect but RP et al haven'y exactly covered themselves in glory either.

HibeeMG
06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
How is it such a daft question?

A lot of folks seem to reckon the problems at ER run deeper than the managers position.

Not saying CC is perfect but RP et al haven'y exactly covered themselves in glory either.

Well, for a start, hopefully a managerial change will help in terms of team fitness, team shape, team selection, tactics, motivation, corners, throw-ins, substitutions.

There may well be deeper problems at ER but you ask how a managerial change will change things but I say it's a start.

silverhibee
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
If Billy Davies applies for the job, the board would be off there heads to not give him the job, i think the problem could be his backroom staff, Petrie will only want a manager and not a backroom staff too.

matty_f
06-11-2011, 10:08 PM
If Billy Davies applies for the job, the board would be off there heads to not give him the job, i think the problem could be his backroom staff, Petrie will only want a manager and not a backroom staff too.

I think any manager coming in would want to bring their own backroom staff in. I was surprised that CC didn't appear to make more of an effort to but I was prepared to accept his statements about picking the assistant he wanted in both Adams and Brown, however the odds on another manager coming in and not bringing coaching staff with him have to be slim, and if we did hire a manager with no assistant then it would be clear that the board are limiting the new manager from the outset.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Why Billy Davies? I dont get it. :dunno:

Aubenas
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
OK -
Pat Nevin Director of Football
Mikey O'Neil - Manager
Billy Brown Asst Mnager
Davie Weir/Ian Murray Academy Directors
Stuart Lovell Head of Communications.

:agree::thumbsup::flag::not worth

RickyS
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM

sure i remember him saying when he got the Forest job that he had never applied for a job before

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
sure i remember him saying when he got the Forest job that he had never applied for a job before

If he was half as good as he thinks he is he would be better than Mourinho and Ferguson. Combined.

silverhibee
06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Why Billy Davies? I dont get it. :dunno:

Why not, seems a no nonsense man, will not take any crap from the players and he will demand respect around the club, will also have good contacts in the game, stays in Scotland, :greengrin.

If not him, then what about the board approaching Walter Smith to see if he wants back in to football with Davie Weir as assistant with a view to Weir becoming the manager in the future.

tooley
06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Strachan please.

Only one that can sort us out and put bums on seats Mr Petrie.:thumbsup::agree::thumbsup:

NOLA
06-11-2011, 11:08 PM
i'd like MON to be our next manager :thumbsup:

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Why not, seems a no nonsense man, will not take any crap from the players and he will demand respect around the club, will also have good contacts in the game, stays in Scotland, :greengrin.

If not him, then what about the board approaching Walter Smith to see if he wants back in to football with Davie Weir as assistant with a view to Weir becoming the manager in the future.

Whats he doing just now?

Iain G
07-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Steve MacClaren is out of a job... :greengrin

Seriously time to clean out the management from top to bottom and get a new man in with his own backroom staff all pulling the club in the same direction, which is hopefully upwards :wink:

Billy Brown in temp charge of the first team allows us to take our time and get this one right :agree:

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Steve MacClaren is out of a job... :greengrin

Seriously time to clean out the management from top to bottom and get a new man in with his own backroom staff all pulling the club in the same direction, which is hopefully upwards :wink:

Billy Brown in temp charge of the first team allows us to take our time and get this one right :agree:

Ange P, Brisbane Roar :agree:

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Whats he doing just now?

Probably visiting his pal Tommy in jail to see when their next 'liaison' is.

Iain G
07-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Ange P, Brisbane Roar :agree:

You think Ricki would be up for it? :greengrin

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Sun Newspaper saying Early candidates for the job include for the role include Billy Davies, ex-Hibs ace Michael O'Neill and Gary Bollan of Livingston.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3918140/Calderwood-sacked.html#ixzz1d0726EW0

God I hope not

alfieboi75
07-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Ray Wilkins might be a possibility....I'm trying to remember who he has managed apart from QPR......he seems to do well for clubs he is with.....

On a serious note.....revamp from the top to bottom....Petrie to go.....I would love to see present coaching staff to go as well....3 managers who have all been there for no more than a year have suffered, and the coaching staff are still there.....

I do hope there will be loads of positives at the AGM tomorrow.....it would be Xmas come early if Petrie says I'm leaving Hibs.....:aok:

Fingers cross tomorrow for positive news!!!

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 07:02 AM
You think Ricki would be up for it? :greengrin

Hope not!! :greengrin

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Ray Wilkins might be a possibility....I'm trying to remember who he has managed apart from QPR......he seems to do well for clubs he is with.....

On a serious note.....revamp from the top to bottom....Petrie to go.....I would love to see present coaching staff to go as well....3 managers who have all been there for no more than a year have suffered, and the coaching staff are still there.....

I do hope there will be loads of positives at the AGM tomorrow.....it would be Xmas come early if Petrie says I'm leaving Hibs.....:aok:

Fingers cross tomorrow for positive news!!!

1/ If CC got pelters for being dull what on earth will happen to Ray?

2/ Easier said than done. It is one man's decision and it aint Petrie.

3/ Then everything's great right?

offshorehibby
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
My choice would be O'Neill. I thought Ian McParland was a good shout last time and might be in the mix again. Gary McAllister was on the TV the other week saying he wanted back into management.

Iain G
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Hope not!! :greengrin

Might be a good move....

....for the Nix :greengrin:wink:

Steve-O
07-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Might be a good move....

....for the Nix :greengrin:wink:

I have e-mailed Hibs regarding Ange. WATCH THIS SPACE!! :flag:

E10 Rifle
07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't believe Billy Davies would be interested in the Hibs role, I think he believes he is cut out for bigger and better things. One manager currently out of work who would be very interesting is Dave Jones. Just not sure there is the money in Scottish football to tempt guys of that calibre though.

silverhibee
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Whats he doing just now?

Trying to get back in to football managenent after being released from Forrest.

proud_and_green
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Petrie has tried to get Paul Sturrock on two separate occasions, given his record of going back in for guys he has previously interviewed then might be the one to watch (even though his ambition is to manage Hearts)

What Petrie wants to manage Hearts.......?

NOLA
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I hear Cherie Lunghi is available.

Tricla
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Well, for a start, hopefully a managerial change will help in terms of team fitness, team shape, team selection, tactics, motivation, corners, throw-ins, substitutions.

There may well be deeper problems at ER but you ask how a managerial change will change things but I say it's a start.

IIRC the team has been keech at this under the last 3 or four managers.

Throw-ins especially. Hibs have been murder at them FALAICR.

jdships
07-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Interesting to see what McInnes has done at Bristol City - two wins and a draw in last three games .
Why not at ER :confused:

_hucks_
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Terry Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brown_(football_manager)) perhaps worth a shot?

HibsMax
07-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Agree with the bits in bold but not so sure about the rest.

Fitness - The players are professional footballers. They are supposed to be athletes. They are supposed to actually give a crap about looking after their bodies. It shouldn't matter who the boss is, their fitness is ultimately their responsibility. The club can assist but IMO it's up to each individual to put in the effort.

Motivation - Again, these guys are professional football players. They should already be motivated. Again the club can help out here but the motivation should be there right from the getgo.

Corners and Throw ins - Obviously we should be working on these things at the training ground and if we weren't under CC then that's a failing. I'm not sure that a different manager will be able to get the players to perform at a higher level than they could under CC. I mean, we've seen a lot of bad passing etc. but it would shock me if a new man came in and all of a sudden the players started getting the basics right.

I definitely agree with the bits I bolded though, a new man can bring new ideas to the table. He can setup the team differently. But will that result in Hibs playing better than we've seen up until now? I am on the fence about that. If all we had to do was change the manager then why didn't work all the previous times?

Hamish
07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
What Petrie wants to manage Hearts.......?

Luggy was a Hearts fan as a youngster, Donald Ford was his favourite player.

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Terry Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Brown_(football_manager)) perhaps worth a shot?

Can't argue with the stats.

970 games 47% wins.

Could keep Billy on as assistant manager and have Brown and Brown.

_hucks_
07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Can't argue with the stats.

970 games 47% wins.

Could keep Billy on as assistant manager and have Brown and Brown.

Not just that, he likes having young teams that try to pass the ball a bit. His dons side doing a lot better than they rightfully should right now.

cloudy
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
What about Paul Ince

RickyS
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Interesting to see what McInnes has done at Bristol City - two wins and a draw in last three games .
Why not at ER :confused:

cos our managers need time, money and 3 transfer windows at least:greengrin

The Harp Awakes
07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
As Micky Weir says in the EN tonight, we need an experienced Manager and stability.

And for me that means someone who wants the job and won't up sticks at the first opportunity if he is a success. That rules out Michael O'Neil. If successful, he'd be off to the first decent sized English Club that came calling. Then we'd be back to square 1.

Gordon Strachan would fit the bill. A high profile Manager who's been there and done it and someone who is more than likely to see out his contract if successful.

AlbertK86
07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Get Rod tae F*** and then

Pat Nevin as Chief Exec

John Collins or Michael O'Neill with Le God and Wee Russell as his coaches.

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Get Rod tae F*** and then

Pat Nevin as Chief Exec

John Collins or Michael O'Neill with Le God and Wee Russell as his coaches.

Is this based on their success?

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Thinking out the box here but what about Butch Wilkins if he got the gig with BB as no 2 thoughts ?

nortonhibby
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
As Micky Weir says in the EN tonight, we need an experienced Manager and stability.

And for me that means someone who wants the job and won't up sticks at the first opportunity if he is a success. That rules out Michael O'Neil. If successful, he'd be off to the first decent sized English Club that came calling. Then we'd be back to square 1.

Gordon Strachan would fit the bill. A high profile Manager who's been there and done it and someone who is more than likely to see out his contract if successful.

Best the new manager gets a year contract in order to save compo.

HibeeMG
07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
IIRC the team has been keech at this under the last 3 or four managers.

Throw-ins especially. Hibs have been murder at them FALAICR.

Agree with the bits in bold but not so sure about the rest.

Fitness - The players are professional footballers. They are supposed to be athletes. They are supposed to actually give a crap about looking after their bodies. It shouldn't matter who the boss is, their fitness is ultimately their responsibility. The club can assist but IMO it's up to each individual to put in the effort.

Motivation - Again, these guys are professional football players. They should already be motivated. Again the club can help out here but the motivation should be there right from the getgo.

Corners and Throw ins - Obviously we should be working on these things at the training ground and if we weren't under CC then that's a failing. I'm not sure that a different manager will be able to get the players to perform at a higher level than they could under CC. I mean, we've seen a lot of bad passing etc. but it would shock me if a new man came in and all of a sudden the players started getting the basics right.

I definitely agree with the bits I bolded though, a new man can bring new ideas to the table. He can setup the team differently. But will that result in Hibs playing better than we've seen up until now? I am on the fence about that. If all we had to do was change the manager then why didn't work all the previous times?

I'm not saying that all those aspects I've quoted will improve which is why I used the word 'hopefully'.

The original statement was that a new manager wouldn't change anything. Surely to God, if we got the right man in along with a better backroom staff, all of those aspects would change.

Let's take Liverpool FC for an example. Roy Hodgson wasn't/isn't a bad manager I think we'd all agree. The players he had at the club weren't/aren't all bad players I think we'd all agree too. When Kenny Dalglish took charge there was a much better shape about the team and he had them motivated to play pretty much straight away.

We have players shaking their heads when substitutions are made. We've got players unsure of where they are supposed to be playing and what role they have. Essentially, I sometimes think they're winging it when on the pitch. A new management team would, again hopefully, give the team a direction which would bring the whole club together as one. Think back to how Tony Mowbray set us up from the first day he walked in the club.

Is it too much of a stretch to imagine that this can happen again? Or does there have to be a mysterious underlying problem at the club that means a new management team is a pointless exercise?

steakbake
07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm not saying that all those aspects I've quoted will improve which is why I used the word 'hopefully'.

The original statement was that a new manager wouldn't change anything. Surely to God, if we got the right man in along with a better backroom staff, all of those aspects would change.

Let's take Liverpool FC for an example. Roy Hodgson wasn't/isn't a bad manager I think we'd all agree. The players he had at the club weren't/aren't all bad players I think we'd all agree too. When Kenny Dalglish took charge there was a much better shape about the team and he had them motivated to play pretty much straight away.

We have players shaking their heads when substitutions are made. We've got players unsure of where they are supposed to be playing and what role they have. Essentially, I sometimes think they're winging it when on the pitch. A new management team would, again hopefully, give the team a direction which would bring the whole club together as one. Think back to how Tony Mowbray set us up from the first day he walked in the club.

Is it too much of a stretch to imagine that this can happen again? Or does there have to be a mysterious underlying problem at the club that means a new management team is a pointless exercise?

Easter Road is too convenient for George Street.

HibeeMG
07-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Easter Road is too convenient for George Street.

Possibly true, but again, if we got the right man in that wouldn't be a problem.

brisbanehibs
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I have e-mailed Hibs regarding Ange. WATCH THIS SPACE!! :flag:w

.! the type of football he plays is suited to the slower paced a-league games in my opinion. i did post here last year saying his clean out of the trouble makers and dead wood at the roar was exactly what we needed at easter road and sadly that's still the case. but what a brilliant manager so would be interesting to see how he gets on. split loyalties for me now. I sit behind him at suncorp so will have a word this afternoon:wink: 7 nil to roar

brisbanehibs
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I have e-mailed Hibs regarding Ange. WATCH THIS SPACE!! :flag:w

.! the type of football he plays is suited to the slower paced a-league games in my opinion. i did post here last year saying his clean out of the trouble makers and dead wood at the roar was exactly what we needed at easter road and sadly that's still the case. but what a brilliant manager so would be interesting to see how he gets on. split loyalties for me now. I sit behind him at suncorp so will have a word this afternoon:wink: 7 nil to roar

EasterRoad4Ever
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM

:agree:Aree with that. The slightest success at ER usually heralds a move elsewhere (only exception being CC who was coveted despite his dire record). Even Hughes was touted for a big move to England when Hibs won a few games - look at where he is now !

Strachan ticks all the boxes for me, and would be an imaginative, controversial, and eye-opening statement of intent by the Hibs Board.

weonlywon6-2
13-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Walter Smith !!:greengrin

most likely be michael o`neil though

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Then he spent loads of money and led them back to the mediocrity they've come to consistently make their own over the last five years.

nortonhibby
13-11-2011, 02:14 PM
This appointmet is vital for us moving forward Lets hope the board get this one right there are so many names being banded around and people putting there name in the frame for the job.
The one thing we can agree on is the Board have plenty choices to pick from.
If the rumors are true and it is fat jim then the Board must accept that they better get it right very quickly as the fans will have no patience if they do not get results, as his pbs connection is strong.

jdships
13-11-2011, 02:50 PM

What exactly do you expect a player to do - applaude - when being substituted ?
Regardless what level you play at no one likes to be subbed :greengrin .
Almost without exception the pro lads I know always have a " beef " after the game if subbed . It's as they say " the nature of the beast " :wink:
As to " what role they have " . Ever wonder what some of these guys have between their ears ?
Can't believe it is all/always the manager's fault .
Not defending CC - happy to see him go but wish him well

LincolnshireHib
13-11-2011, 04:27 PM
What about Nigel Worthington? He's out of contract, is an advocate of passing football, has contacts all over the British Isles by virtue of his previous jobs and always comes across well in his interviews.