PDA

View Full Version : Pat Nevin & Billy Davies

Lucky_Jim
06-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I've always had a lot of time for Pat Nevin (especially since his conversion to the Hibees cause) and I think he's one of the few Scottish pundits whose views on the game are genuinely worth listening to. I seem to recall that when Boyle took over at Motherwell he appointed Niven as Chief Executive and, if I recall correctly, he was responsible for appointing Billy Davies as gaffer.

Given our current travails and the widely accepted view that, given his record to date, Petrie shouldn't be involved in appointing our next manager (which is a process most of us hope will be taking place soon!), I was thinking whether there might be a role for Nevin at the club. I think it would do Hibs a world of good to appoint someone like Nevin to the board who would bring with him a background of having played the game at a high level as well as a prominent and respected role in the media. He's clearly a bright lad too and, given his Hibee connections, would surely be a welcomed appointment amongst the fans, which would go some way to repairing the increasingly strained relationship between us and those who run our club. Also, and just as importantly, given their previous connections at Motherwell, do you think he'd be able to persuade Davies to take the gig at ER?

I suppose the real question is would he be prepared to ditch the no doubt lucrative and cosy world of the TV studios to return to the coal face. Unlikley perhaps, but maybe just because of his self declared affection for our club he could be persuaded to get involved. I think he'd be a breath of fresh air and would make a real difference and I for one would much rather that Petrie's (and if necessary some of the other board members') saleries were spent on enticing him and Davies to join us.

Am I being unrealistic? Views?

Mark79
06-11-2011, 10:26 AM
The likelihood is that Petrie won't go so we at least need someone with a footballing background on the board. All the decisions over the last wee while are purely financial which has been at a cost to the football on the park.

Whether its nevin or not we definately need a football man on the board.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
The likelihood is that Petrie won't go so we at least need someone with a footballing background on the board. All the decisions over the last wee while are purely financial which has been at a cost to the football on the park.

Whether its nevin or not we definately need a football man on the board.

Do you want Nevin because he did so well at Motherwell?

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2011, 10:46 AM
i'm no even sure that it would take a football man to point out that not making the end product, the first priority is a sure fire way to put us out of business or into an existence like Crewe who are like a football novelty. Youth players and infrastructure but not seriously competitive.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
i'm no even sure that it would take a football man to point out that not making the end product, the first priority is a sure fire way to put us out of business or into an existence like Crewe who are like a football novelty. Youth players and infrastructure but not seriously competitive.

We've been worse.

carnoustiehibee
06-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I mentioned bringing nevin in on another thread yesterday ya thief :greengrin

Every big team apart from hearts have an ex player on the board or still involved in football matters.

I think we should be getting opinions of football guys like Stanton, sauzee, jimmy boco to decide football decisions and leave petrie to do what he's qualified in doing

lucky
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
There is no way Billy Davies will come to Hibs. He will want to much cash and will be looking for a championship club. Hibs should go for Jimmy Calderwood. He has the SPL experience and would steady the ship

silverhibee
06-11-2011, 01:26 PM
There is no way Billy Davies will come to Hibs. He will want to much cash and will be looking for a championship club. Hibs should go for Jimmy Calderwood. He has the SPL experience and would steady the ship

Billy Davies has already said that he would be willing to work back in Scotland, he wants back in to football and him and his backroom staff are raring to go to get back in to football.

bingo70
06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Billy Davies has already said that he would be willing to work back in Scotland, he wants back in to football and him and his backroom staff are raring to go to get back in to football.

I think it's likely he'd be wanting a massive transfer kitty though as well as a big wage for him and his backroom team and would be constantly looking to make a move down south.

I don't actually have a problem with someone wanting to use us as a stepping stone, however i want them to get a move based on being a success with hibs and not just use us to kill time until a job down south comes up like CC has done.

Mark79
06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Do you want Nevin because he did so well at Motherwell?

I never said I wanted nevin? I said I would take someone with a football understanding on our board.

If the stories were true that Petrie signed sproule back up then that's exactly why we need footballing people who are close to the finances of the club helping out.

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I never said I wanted nevin? I said I would take someone with a football understanding on our board.

If the stories were true that Petrie signed sproule back up then that's exactly why we need footballing people who are close to the finances of the club helping out.

And if they are not?

marinello59
06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
If Nevin did not have an allegiance to Hibs would anybody nominate him for a role at our club? He's a decent pundit but there are others out there. Would we want any if them in a position of power at ER?

IWasThere2016
06-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I sincerely doubt RP will accept a 'football' man on the Board during his tenure.

smurf
06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Billy Davies winds me up. Gets my back up. In your face snarling kicking every ball....

Exactly what we need.

TheEastTerrace
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I sincerely doubt RP will accept a 'football' man on the Board during his tenure.

Therein lies the big issue IMO.

At The Edge
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Think i would miss Pat Nevins tv/radio pundit skills, one of the few who i will happily listen to,
however he would bring some decent music to ER before kickoff and at halftime :wink:

Would he come? i doubt it. hes fairly in demand as a pundit and i would imagine on a decent wedge, plus could he be bothered with the hassle?

Davies, like many have said, he'd want cash to spend, something we don't have,
would put a rocket up the teams bahookie though

Hibercelona
06-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't think having Nevin on board at the club would be much of an advantage. Theres no doubt that he is a smart man and a great pundit. But being a Hibby himself, he simply sees what virtually every other Hibby can see.

What we need is somebody that can determine a solution to our problems, not someone who can just point them out. We're all capable of pointing them out. (Except the board and manager apparently...)

IWasThere2016
06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Therein lies the big issue IMO.

Indeed - it would be an admission of failure/weakness in the Boardroom; so it is highly unlikely IMHO.

The Boardroom is full of RP's appointments and gofers.