PDA

View Full Version : Players need long hard look at themselves

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 07:45 AM
An awful lot of stuff about the manager on the board - Time the players stood up and were accountable

Regardless of the validity of any of it or not - the players that played so well at Celtic Park were in the most part abject yesterday. They did not show enough pride and effort to overcome a team that technically is poor but played as a team.

Im not going to slate individual players (tempted as I am) - but collectively they were woeful. I have seen plenty poorer Hibs teams (sadly) down the years, but rarely such a lack of collective effort / teamwork and leaders on the pitch. There was little in the way of players demanding from each other, and a few who looked as if they would rather have been in the stand.

There is only so much coaches and management teams can do when the players 'cross the white line' Teams with character need little from the sidelines......

PS - note that recent games when we have gained plaudits it been put down to BB influence...when we are guff... its CC :rolleyes:

LeithBoozy
06-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I sit in the FF lower, I noticed when LG had the chance when in the box to pass back to a better placed Hibs player. He took the wrong option and was crowded-out, when I say he recived dogs abuse, it was vicious. He walked back towards the half-way line staring at the stand visably shaking, I felt sorry for him.

Hibby70
06-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Our biggest problem is that we lack any form of leadership both on and off the park. CC seems to be the type of manager that lets his team get on with it once hes said his piece before kickoff. That style simply cant work with this group of players.

We need either a real captain to come to the club or a real motivational manager, preferably both.

The_Exile
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
We need either a real captain to come to the club or a real motivational manager, preferably both.

Didn't work for Yogi, he was a real motivational manager, plus we have some experienced Pros out there on the park so not sure a Rob Jones type would fix our back line either, not sure what the answer is at the moment, we could do with a Neil Lennon/Ian Black type player in the middle to get it right up the opposition/intimidate them, and dominate the midfield, that's where we're losing games, but most fans don't want that type of player anywhere near ER :rolleyes:

IndieHibby
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Our biggest problem is that we lack any form of leadership both on and off the park. CC seems to be the type of manager that lets his team get on with it once hes said his piece before kickoff. That style simply cant work with this group of players.

Watching the game, this is exactly what I thought. We need someone who can be a captain in the middle of the park. Who can read the game, see our strengths and and their weakness, and get the players to listen long enough to respond to his instructions.

Or get a manager who can have the same affect.

tamig
06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
An awful lot of stuff about the manager on the board - Time the players stood up and were accountable

Regardless of the validity of any of it or not - the players that played so well at Celtic Park were in the most part abject yesterday. They did not show enough pride and effort to overcome a team that technically is poor but played as a team.

Im not going to slate individual players (tempted as I am) - but collectively they were woeful. I have seen plenty poorer Hibs teams (sadly) down the years, but rarely such a lack of collective effort / teamwork and leaders on the pitch. There was little in the way of players demanding from each other, and a few who looked as if they would rather have been in the stand.

There is only so much coaches and management teams can do when the players 'cross the white line' Teams with character need little from the sidelines......

PS - note that recent games when we have gained plaudits it been put down to BB influence...when we are guff... its CC :rolleyes:

Agree with most of this. There were too many players off the boil yesterday - even some who've been among our top performers lately. GOC, Griffiths, Agogo immediately spring to mind. I would push Agogo back up front with GOC as they were beginning to look good together before Griffiths was brought back into the starting line-up.

Holmesdale Hibs
06-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Yesterday was a real opportunity missed by the players and manager against a poor team thats bottom of the league. The last few games were showing some, allbeit small, signs of improvement. If we had have won we would have moved out the relegation zone and close to mid table. Still not great but an improvement and given the state hearts are in there could have been some optimism and hope that we'd turned the corner. There is nothing positive we can take form yesterday and even the most optimistic Hibs fan must have genuine concerns about where the team is heading.

Drewster
06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought the front two O'Connor and Griffiths were poor today, and Galbraith wasn't great? But the defence and
midfield looked much better than they have most games I've seen this season.

This would seem to be borne out by the stats with Hibs clearly bossing the game:

71% possession, twice the number of shots on target, and three times the number of shots off target!!

Now I know we were only playing Dunfermline, but for me this looked like progress and a lot better team performance
than many I've seen this season - following on from a good point at Celtic.

If the pundits thought Dunfermline deserved to win that game - then the stats must be flawed because Hibs deserved
a draw at the very least!!

I'm not a Calderwood fan, and the Agogo for Sproule switch was another strange one when clearly Galbraith needed a
rest, but I don't understand all the histeria after this one!!!

Thecat23
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I thought the front two O'Connor and Griffiths were poor today, and Galbraith wasn't great? But the defence and

This would seem to be borne out by the stats with Hibs clearly bossing the game:

71% possession, twice the number of shots on target, and three times the number of shots off target!!

Now I know we were only playing Dunfermline, but for me this looked like progress and a lot better team performance

If the pundits thought Dunfermline deserved to win that game - then the stats must be flawed because Hibs deserved

I'm not a Calderwood fan, and the Agogo for Sproule switch was another strange one when clearly Galbraith needed a

Losing at home to the team who's bottom and the first half performance was shocking. That coupled with not winning any games at home these days is why the fuss!! Surely you can understand that?

steakbake
06-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, possession stats and the numbers of corners we are getting is really propelling us up the league table.

At the end of the day (to use a football cliche) the only important numbers are the one on the scoreboard. They read yesterday that we lost against a team that we ought to expect to beat. I have seen nothing in Calderwood's approach which indicates that we will do anything other than drift along in the bottom 6.

The players, I have to say, are not bad players. If anyone is watching ESPN, you're watching the second placed team against the big bucks team of Celtic. What is missing is direction, tactics and a general game plan.

aunty joyce
06-11-2011, 12:04 PM

I totally agree that Griffiths and Agogo were poor and I really felt O'connor looked for the best part dis-interested (IMHO) however I do believe that we did deserve to take something from the game.

What I found more disturbing was the hostile atmosphere, I am a season ticket holder who sits in the East Stand (towards the FF end) and the atmosphere around us (from kick off) from a range of people (I stop short of calling them supporters) who do not normally sit here made me feel very uneasy - I am still trying to work out what they thought their actions would achieve . . . a very sad day indeed.