PDA

View Full Version : Would butcher want to join Hibs?

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I know we are comparatively a much bigger club with a real estate portfolio and balance sheet second only to the Duke of Westminster, and I also know he is tainted with all the Hun stuff but in truth he has a stadium that looks like a cow shed, a team that earns about as much as our first team squads bar tab on a slow Wednesday in George Street, less than half the crowds we get, budget :blah: and everything else we say we have. Yet he suffers the bad starts, player loss etc for less time than it takes us to recover from these set so called set backs.

I truly wonder what he might deliver to the mentality that exists in our dressing room and maybe beyond. Today is whats p'd me off but my bigger worry is that something made me feel quite good that as a one off we got a point at Parkhead - the games up.

PS - for this argument don't particularly favour Butcher, I just used him as an example - one I'd be happy with, but there's plenty of others who seem to know whats required to do better than average on a better than average budget with great facilities and a terrific support in a crap league.

Going to the pub - thanks for listening.

Sammy7nil
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
He would walk on broken glass all the way from the Highlands to be the Hibs manager.

joe breezy
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I said before CC joined that I'd be happy with Butcher...still would be...

GreenPJ
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
If he came and had the start inverness have had we would be calling for his head

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Please please nae mair o this nonsense!

:rolleyes:

Forza Fred
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I know we are comparatively a much bigger club with a real estate portfolio and balance sheet second only to the Duke of Westminster, and I also know he is tainted with all the Hun stuff but in truth he has a stadium that looks like a cow shed, a team that earns about as much as our first team squads bar tab on a slow Wednesday in George Street, less than half the crowds we get, budget :blah: and everything else we say we have. Yet he suffers the bad starts, player loss etc for less time than it takes us to recover from these set so called set backs.

I truly wonder what he might deliver to the mentality that exists in our dressing room and maybe beyond. Today is whats p'd me off but my bigger worry is that something made me feel quite good that as a one off we got a point at Parkhead - the games up.

PS - for this argument don't particularly favour Butcher, I just used him as an example - one I'd be happy with, but there's plenty of others who seem to know whats required to do better than average on a better than average budget with great facilities and a terrific support in a crap league.

Going to the pub - thanks for listening.

Terry Butcher would be just as big a problem as our current manager.

fine chap though he may be, he was an abject failure when he managed Sydney Fc for a short time....and got the sack.

Although he wil no doubt say he left by mutual consent.

A confidentaillity clause means you wont have heard him say too much about his time down under, but sufficeint to say, the least said the better.

Elephant Stone
05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
You want to replace our manager with the manager of one of the couple of teams who are doing worse than us?

Cropley10
05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
No danger he'd come. He kens the score with this Board.

God Petrie
05-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Michael O Neill

sundo1875
05-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh yes let's get the manager who's teams below us!

Cropley10
05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Michael O Neill

If he'd played for Hearts he wouldn't even be quoted. End of.

God Petrie
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Wrong. He's done an amazing job with Shamrock and they're playing great football with limited resources. Nothing to do with him having played for Hibs.

offshorehibby
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Michael O Neill for me with BB as No 2

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
If he came and had the start inverness have had we would be calling for his head

Thats the point though, he had set backs (like we have) from his earlier start points............ anyway like I implied, its all relative, look at whats available in relation to whats been achieved. Nearly said Jim Jeffries for the purpose of debate.

SneakersO'Toole
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Butcher - not for me. Would be like appointing Hughes again. Bottom 6 fodder.

Michael O'Neill may be the obvious choice but he is also the correct choice for a number of reasons.

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Oh yes let's get the manager who's teams below us!

Read the post.........

And he's certainly below us for the time being, well spotted. Might or might not end up there but what I am trying, and failing, to say is how comparatively quickly he has bounced back from a few major set backs - the loss of Rooney for example - and in the longer term how well he has done with much less (and might do with the same approach and our far grander set up?). Anyway, not Hibs class so lets stick with the current formula.

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

But he has dominated Ireland for at least 1 season!:wink: I actually rate him but we have appointed a few one season wonders from a much lower level that used to play for us. Actually Icould just as easily have put his name in the OP than Butchers......... achieved a bit with much less etc.......

nortonhibby
05-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Agreed lets get real there is no way RP Will pay compo for any manager, look for un employed managers there is where the new one will be selected by RP.

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Agreed lets get real there is no way RP Will pay compo for any manager, look for un employed managers there is where the new one will be selected by RP.

Jumbo it is then :wink:

Elephant Stone
05-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Michael O Neill for me with BB as No 2

Yes please! He doesn't have a permanent assistant at the moment so that could work out just fine.

bighairyfaeleith
05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Terry Butcher is a failure as a manager, why the **** would we want him??

I know not a lot about MO but from what I have read I would say he is a decent shout, honest truth is though I would rather we found another Tony Mowbray type plucked from obscurity but it's just not that easy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-11-2011, 06:26 PM
To pick the support up from its' knees we need a flagship signing of a manager. Butcher would divide more than he would unite.

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Can't see her leaving Eastender's to join us, but she couldn't do worse than the present incumbent. "I've been slapped around by life. Call me an honors graduate off the school off 'ard knocks. But I always came back out fighting, cause that's just wot you do, innit. I call a spade a spade. At 'ibs we got too many geezers ain't prhad to wear the jersey."

mcfly
05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
We had a good manager in collins and if we'd stayed with him and backed him where would we be now??

now we are at a big crossroads and big decisions have to be made very very soon.

i really , really hope that the board make the right decisions, either back this manager in jan or get a good man in.

id prefer michael o'neil given the choice

edwards
05-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Have to admit I have always fancied Butcher for the job at Hibs, unfortunately for him Inverness are in a position not any better than our own.
That is why I am going For O'Neill back to back champions in Ireland and got his team to the group stages in europe.

Go get O'Neill now Petrie he has stated he wants to be a manager in the SPL

Bostonhibby
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Can't see her leaving Eastender's to join us, but she couldn't do worse than the present incumbent. "I've been slapped around by life. Call me an honors graduate off the school off 'ard knocks. But I always came back out fighting, cause that's just wot you do, innit. I call a spade a spade. At 'ibs we got too many geezers ain't prhad to wear the jersey."

Gotta be worth a try though surely? if only to see her stamping roond the city centre bars on a Friday night / Saturday morning assembling the squad for the challenge ahead the next day, make - up on, coat sleeves rolled up, fag slightly skew wiff, Ford transit parked outside............ Star players half oot the bog Windae of Candy bar wi big Pat hanging onto his ankles? Has to be the future if the JC option isnae the way to go?

I do think we will miss out here as well though as Fergie won't last forever at Man U.

Cropley10
05-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Wrong. He's done an amazing job with Shamrock and they're playing great football with limited resources. Nothing to do with him having played for Hibs.

Rovers fans weren't bothered if he'd left in the summer, and that League IS a pub league. I don't watch a lot of them truth be told but 'great football' ? Don't think so.

As I said IF he'd played for Hearts we'd not be discussing him.

ScottB
05-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Butcher has done well in Scotland, but I'm not sure he'd work well at us.

O'Neill? No thanks. For one thing supposedly he was beaten to the post by CC and Yogi before, secondly, what has he done to suggest he'd be the answer to our problems? Sounds kinda like CC on paper, led a team to a minor league title, but the clubs fans aren't exactly keen on him or the game his team plays. Sure, there's the Europa League qualification, but Cup games are one off fluke territory frankly. He seems to currently be doing the equivalent of screaming 'somebody please offer me a job!!' and the best he's gotten seems to have been a part time gig with Northern Ireland as an offer.

I honestly don't know what the answer for us is, on paper we've went for someone with experience in the upper English leagues (CC), someone with good SPL experience (Yogi) and a younger manager with titles from 'lesser' leagues (Mixu). On paper, all were fine choices, but they didn't work out. Maybe O'Neill would be different, but to me he looks primed to be CC Mk 2.

JimBHibees
05-11-2011, 08:17 PM

O'Neill? No thanks. For one thing supposedly he was beaten to the post by CC and Yogi before, secondly, what has he done to suggest he'd be the answer to our problems? Sounds kinda like CC on paper, led a team to a minor league title, but the clubs fans aren't exactly keen on him or the game his team plays. Sure there's the Europa League qualification, but Cup games are one off fluke territory frankly. [/B]He seems to currently be doing the equivalent of screaming 'somebody please offer me a job!!' and the best he's gotten seems to have been a part time gig with Northern Ireland as an offer.

I honestly don't know what the answer for us is, on paper we've went for someone with experience in the upper English leagues (CC), someone with good SPL experience (Yogi) and a younger manager with titles from 'lesser' leagues (Mixu). On paper, all were fine choices, but they didn't work out. Maybe O'Neill would be different, but to me he looks primed to be CC Mk 2.

He also won the league though. Not sure about MON he seems an intelligent type who maybe can be more motivational than some. Difficult to say who next manager is though.

PapillonVert
05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Whoever is appointed needs to know that he is supported 100% by the Board and by Petrie. In other words, no repeat of the situation where the players go behind the manager's back to Petrie complaining that they actually have to work.

If I was offered the Hibs' manager's job, I would certainly be looking for some guarantees that I was 100% in charge and that there would be no approaches from the players to Petrie or anyone else.

IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!

heidtheba
05-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Gotta be worth a try though surely? if only to see her stamping roond the city centre bars on a Friday night / Saturday morning assembling the squad for the challenge ahead the next day, make - up on, coat sleeves rolled up, fag slightly skew wiff, Ford transit parked outside............ Star players half oot the bog Windae of Candy bar wi big Pat hanging onto his ankles? Has to be the future if the JC option isnae the way to go?

I do think we will miss out here as well though as Fergie won't last forever at Man U.

We've also got to consider that dear old Pat is exactly the type of wummin most Hertz fans would, and quite possibly do, fantasize about...would we really want a manager that the great unwashed would try to steal from us? :greengrin

ScottB
05-11-2011, 08:40 PM
He also won the league though. Not sure about MON he seems an intelligent type who maybe can be more motivational than some. Difficult to say who next manager is though.

True, but he's at a big club by Irish standards, that should surely be his aim no?

I can remember Dundee United hiring a guy who won a few Irish titles and he bombed a few years back?

ScottB
05-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Whoever is appointed needs to know that he is supported 100% by the Board and by Petrie. In other words, no repeat of the situation where the players go behind the manager's back to Petrie complaining that they actually have to work.

If I was offered the Hibs' manager's job, I would certainly be looking for some guarantees that I was 100% in charge and that there would be no approaches from the players to Petrie or anyone else.

IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!

In terms of employee manager relations, having a complaint about your direct boss and being able to pass that on to someone else is fair enough, but the Board should always be backing the manager, certainly if it's along the lines of the wee darlings moaning about being worked too hard.

PapillonVert
05-11-2011, 08:43 PM
He would walk on broken glass all the way from the Highlands to be the Hibs manager.

Maybe. But I suspect he would insist on being given 100% control of the team. In other words, HE'S THE BOSS and he takes no nonsense from the players.

I'd take that. It wouldn't be before time.

ac1
05-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a bad feeling that M O'Neill would end up the same as some of our previous managers who played for us in the last few years.

A few years ago I would never have wanted Terry Butcher but now I am not sure - might be the man to get things in order behind the scenes i.e kick some backsides!

RoxburghHibs
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Isn't he the only SPL manager doing worse than CC?

Elephant Stone
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a bad feeling that M O'Neill would end up the same as some of our previous managers who played for us in the last few years.

A few years ago I would never have wanted Terry Butcher but now I am not sure - might be the man to get things in order behind the scenes i.e kick some backsides!

Having played for Hibs won't affect how he manages, it's not an issue unless having played for Hibs the only reason for him being selected, which it wouldn't be, he's got a very good record.

nortonhibby
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Isn't he the only SPL manager doing worse than CC?

He was untill todays results.

Row H
05-11-2011, 09:03 PM

At least hibs will be around for the next few years (unlike hearts)nortonhibby. So its not all bad news. Why don't you come out and tell us how much you dislike hearts, nortonhibby...

SteveHFC
05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
John Collins for Manager.

johnbc70
05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
John Collins for Manager.

Take him back in a minute, remit to reshape the club from top to bottom.

Dashing Bob S
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM

O'Neill? No thanks. For one thing supposedly he was beaten to the post by CC and Yogi before, secondly, what has he done to suggest he'd be the answer to our problems? Sounds kinda like CC on paper, led a team to a minor league title, but the clubs fans aren't exactly keen on him or the game his team plays. Sure, there's the Europa League qualification, but Cup games are one off fluke territory frankly. He seems to currently be doing the equivalent of screaming 'somebody please offer me a job!!' and the best he's gotten seems to have been a part time gig with Northern Ireland as an offer.

So, let's not bother with a manager at all as anybody we appoint is bound to be Tom Kite?

silverhibee
05-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Butcher, not for me.

Billy Davies or Walter Smith would do me. :aok:

ScottB
05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
So, let's not bother with a manager at all as anybody we appoint is bound to be Tom Kite?

So it seems! On paper, Collins, Mixu, Hughes and CC all looked like good ideas at the time to different degrees.

There's more that needs changed at the club than just the manager. For a start I'd punt every coach that ever goes near the First Team out the door...

silverhibee
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
So it seems! On paper, Collins, Mixu, Hughes and CC all looked like good ideas at the time to different degrees.

There's more that needs changed at the club than just the manager. For a start I'd punt every coach that ever goes near the First Team out the door...

:agree:

There has to be a total clear out at East Mains.

Billy Davies also has his own backroom staff waiting and ready to get back in to football.

Tha Cabbage Kid
05-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Terry Butcher would be just as big a problem as our current manager.

fine chap though he may be, he was an abject failure when he managed Sydney Fc for a short time....and got the sack.

Although he wil no doubt say he left by mutual consent.

A confidentaillity clause means you wont have heard him say too much about his time down under, but sufficeint to say, the least said the better.

at least he has expeience. and i for one think he would be a good addition.
craig brown would be my first choice.

hfc rd
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I would like Michael O'Neil or Billy Davies, but with this current Hibs board, I think we will end up with a Gus Mcpherson or Gary Bollan.

RoxburghHibs
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM

No that's wrong as ICT are still below Hibs even after todays results.

ScottB
05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
No that's wrong as ICT are still below Hibs even after todays results.

He did have them unbeaten away from home for what, over a year not that long ago?

I think his record as an SPL manager is vastly superior to CC's, on probably less than half the budget.

Bostonhibby
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM

I thought you were having a laugh Bob but this link implies that it now seems much more likely, I can se it coming down to a gruesome threesome with Pat, Tango Man and Jumbo Jim. :greengrin

Fill yer boots........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14062446

poolman
10-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Exactly, I mean.......Ah **** it, some of the suggestions that are getting on here are bordering on lunacy

Jumbo Jim
Tangoman
Terry Butcher

Christ, it'll be Steven Frail and Graham Rix Next :crazy:

heretoday
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
We need a broad backside in the manager's seat.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-11-2011, 07:13 PM
He would jump at the chance to join Hibs, or probably any other SPL team that was prepared to offer him a contract. If Inverness don't improve I can see him getting the sack.

Nothing against him but don't want him as manager. I'd rather have stuck with CC tbh.

NOLA
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
i think butcher likes the lifestyle up north, dont see him coming here.

heretoday
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I reckon Butcher is a bit second rate really as a manager although he is a nice chap which I discovered while seated next to him on a Gatwick flight some years ago.

Amusing and very knowledgable about Hibs history, which surprised and delighted me at the time.