PDA

View Full Version : Rob Jones' Mother-in-Law - Top Wummin'!

Iggy Pope
03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Aside from all the mirth and merriment surrounding the plums, I thought I would share with the board, a chance meeting I had in Stockton-on-Tees yesterday.
Down there on business I had the good fortune to be introduced to the Mother-in-Law of Mr Rob Jones.

The lady was extremely interested to learn that I was a devout Hibby and shared with me her good feelings towards, Edinburgh, more particularly Leith and more particularly the Hibs.

She tells me that she, her husband and Rob and his family still consider themselves Hibbies and look for our results every week. She and her man attended Hibs games prolifically during Rob's time with us and she tells me that the LC Final DVD and that Sunshine on Leith moment still brings a tear to her eye. It was her husband's proudest moment to hold his recently born grandson at Hampden that day as the emotion poured out and the unforgettable feeling as Rob's goal kicked that amazing day into life.

When Rob first came to Hibs, he had a flat in Leith and it appears that a bond was definitely made.

Rob apparently lives in Yarm now and is settled - she was keen to let people know that family was the only reason that the big fellah would have left Hibs and that his current stint in Sheffield is easy to manage.

I realise that the NE of England isn't the other side of the world, but it made me proud to hear her talk about the cabbage like this in front of her colleagues.

Look on this as a wee feel-good post and if you have anything derogatory to write about the man or his time with us, maybe start another thread. (Just in case she reads this as I told her I'd share it)

Thecat23
03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Good post, It's nice to hear players or family's of former players still looking out for results and wanting us to do well. To many players these days just at clubs for the money and no interest in the club. Big Jones i thought was.

ano hibby
03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Aside from all the mirth and merriment surrounding the plums, I thought I would share with the board, a chance meeting I had in Stockton-on-Tees yesterday.
Down there on business I had the good fortune to be introduced to the Mother-in-Law of Mr Rob Jones.

The lady was extremely interested to learn that I was a devout Hibby and shared with me her good feelings towards, Edinburgh, more particularly Leith and more particularly the Hibs.

She tells me that she, her husband and Rob and his family still consider themselves Hibbies and look for our results every week. She and her man attended Hibs games prolifically during Rob's time with us and she tells me that the LC Final DVD and that Sunshine on Leith moment still brings a tear to her eye. It was her husband's proudest moment to hold his recently born grandson at Hampden that day as the emotion poured out and the unforgettable feeling as Rob's goal kicked that amazing day into life.

When Rob first came to Hibs, he had a flat in Leith and it appears that a bond was definitely made.

Rob apparently lives in Yarm now and is settled - she was keen to let people know that family was the only reason that the big fellah would have left Hibs and that his current stint in Sheffield is easy to manage.

I realise that the NE of England isn't the other side of the world, but it made me proud to hear her talk about the cabbage like this in front of her colleagues.

Look on this as a wee feel-good post and if you have anything derogatory to write about the man or his time with us, maybe start another thread. (Just in case she reads this as I told her I'd share it)

Nice post and all good to hear:thumbsup:

poolman
03-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Gaun yersel big man :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWyrp4i_oLQ

ronaldo7
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Nice post.

I had good feelings about that day, unlike the one in 2004.

When Big Rob went up and buried that ball in the back of the pokey, and then went on a run around Hampden to celebrate, I just knew we had the cup in the bag.

Never in a Million years did I think I'd see the scenes at the end of the game though. Simply Magical.

Thanks Rob:cgwa

Jack
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM
He wore funny shoes B-)

Hibi
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice post.

I had good feelings about that day, unlike the one in 2004.

When Big Rob went up and buried that ball in the back of the pokey, and then went on a run around Hampden to celebrate, I just knew we had the cup in the bag.

Never in a Million years did I think I'd see the scenes at the end of the game though. Simply Magical.

Thanks Rob:cgwa

Yep, he was a leader of men. We had some good football players in that team then, but in a game as important as that and when it was still pretty tight he attacked that ball and wanted it more than anyone else. He got us on our way that day and lead like a captain should :agree:

Billy Whizz
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Nice story and good to hear good things about our city and team.
There used to an ex players mother who used to post on here?
Was it Chris Killen's mum?

Big Frank
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Hibernian had waiting for big Rob for years. Weve have also missed him since he has left.

LancashireHibby
03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Great post and I think people sometimes forget how big an effect we as fans can have on the lives of players and their families. Hope he'll return one day! :thumbsup:

Jones28
03-11-2011, 08:16 PM
:flag:Mon the big man! Where is he these days?

LancashireHibby
03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
:flag:Mon the big man! Where is he these days?

He's captain at Sheffield Wednesday (think he scored the other week actually).

edwards
03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Fantastic post was a great central defender and I know a lot of you liked Hoggy on here but I always maintained he would be lost without Jones which was proved when he left.
Power to the big fella and all the best at Sheffield Wed

Mon1875
03-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Nice story. Great to hear :thumbsup:

Jack
03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Awe come on! These shoes were boggin. I'm away to start another thread :-D

Jones28
03-11-2011, 08:27 PM
He's captain at Sheffield Wednesday (think he scored the other week actually).

:aok: cheers

Northernhibee
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Good to hear. Always thought he was cracking.

Golden Bear
He was a good 'un! A cult hero who gave 100% every game.

mca
Great post and I think people sometimes forget how big an effect we as fans can have on the lives of players and their families. Hope he'll return one day! :thumbsup:

Excellent post - my Sentiments exactly - And i would Personaly Like To Thank Mrs Jones For Having and Letting the big chap play for us.. and for being a HIBBY :agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I was chatting about the current Hibs defence earlier today and agreed that we need - "someone like Rob Jones". Always believe in...

clerriehibs
03-11-2011, 09:09 PM

YArM? :shocked:

hibbytam
03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Goalscoring captain in a cup winning team? Legend.

Bostonhibby
03-11-2011, 10:02 PM
What a great thread, was always a fan of Rob, said we'd miss him defensively and I don't believe we have replaced him since, good guy, part of the Hibs family and I am watching how he is doing at Sheffield Wednesday. Good to hear how he and his family feel about the club.

mca
03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
What a great thread, was always a fan of Rob, said we'd miss him defensively and I don't believe we have replaced him since, good guy, part of the Hibs family and I am watching how he is doing at Sheffield Wednesday. Good to hear how he and his family feel about the club.

The Sheffield forums and likes seem to be full of positive comments... they even trying to start the we will always believe in rob jones song - going.. apparently btw ..

Bad Habits
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Scunthorpe UnitedThe 2009 close season saw Jones linked with several Championship (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Coca_Cola_Championship) clubs including Derby (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Derby_County_F.C.), Nottingham Forest (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Nottingham_Forest_F.C.), Bristol City (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Bristol_City_F.C.) and Swansea (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.).[14] (http://www.hibs.net/#cite_note-13) He eventually signed for Scunthorpe United (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Scunthorpe_United_F.C.) for an undisclosed "club record" fee, thought to be in the region of 50p

Found this on Wikipedia, how much did he actually go for? :dunno:

The Harp
03-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Super opening post HH. Big Rob - captain extraordinaire. That iconic photo of Rob turning away from goal with the snow falling, arm raised in salute, after opening the scoring in the League Cup Final, is a classic image ... oh the memories of that day.:not worth
A' the Best Big Man! :flag:

Sean1875
04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Defence hasn't been the same since he left, got the ball rolling in probably the greatest day ive experienced as a Hibs fan and for that ill always remember him and be grateful, all the best Jonesy! :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
04-11-2011, 01:33 AM
few of the guys from our bus are going to sheffield game on sat, rob sorted the tickets for them

Judas Iscariot
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Superb story about a superb player :agree:

Seveno
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
He carried the defence at a time when we had a succession of bumpy goalies.

We so need him back.

EVENTUALLY
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't think we would have won that cup without him.

Only goal scorer in the 81% quarter Final.

An absolute rock in the semi at the bus shelter.

1st scorer at Hampden.

He is one of the few senior players who I've seen reacting to coaching to improve his game and thereby eliminating the defender/keeper gaffs which were apparent in his early days at Easter Road. Big Jonna learned the hard way and realised that safety first is vital in his position.

Hibs Class
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Fond memories. Another one was the 1-0 demolition of Hearts when he scored the the only goal and we had around 83% possession. I had a picture of that goal with Gordon flapping at thin air as my wallpaper on my last Pc (although lost it when I changed computers so if anyone has it please post it).

mickki40
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Awe come on! These shoes were boggin. I'm away to start another thread :-D

Tis true Jack. I had my piccy taken with the big man in Dalkeith. The first thing I noticed were his ridiculous bad taste in footwear

jakki
04-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I also had my photo taken with Rob. I had had the oportunity to buy two hospitality tickets for a total of £90 against Motherwell a few seasons ago. Little did I know that they were prize tickets from Coors and the drinks were inclusive! After the game, sipping my one of many W&M wi diet coke, Rob rushed through our hospitality area and down the stairs. Many people shouted out to him but he was in a rush. I shouted over the balcony "Rab, can I get a photo taken wi you" and he looked up and said OK. I hobbled down the stairs wi my walking stick and got my photo taken with him.

Little did I know then that he was in a rush to go to the Sick Kids where his newborn was in a critical condition.

Rab, you are a gem! :thumbsup:

weonlywon6-2
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM

really liked rob jones. that day at hampden and his goal to start it off was amazing.a day i will never forhet. if carlsberg did cup finals then this was it.what a day to turen up and play

if we had that team now,we could win the league:thumbsup:

Hibs Class
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't think we would have won that cup without him.

Only goal scorer in the 81% quarter Final.

An absolute rock in the semi at the bus shelter.

1st scorer at Hampden.

He is one of the few senior players who I've seen reacting to coaching to improve his game and thereby eliminating the defender/keeper gaffs which were apparent in his early days at Easter Road. Big Jonna learned the hard way and realised that safety first is vital in his position.

Fond memories. Another one was the 1-0 demolition of Hearts when he scored the the only goal and we had around 83% possession. I had a picture of that goal with Gordon flapping at thin air as my wallpaper on my last Pc (although lost it when I changed computers so if anyone has it please post it).

Never noticed the earlier post when I recalled the 1-0. Found the pic I was thinking of though.:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
05-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Great OP, HH! Thanks for sharing.

Would welcome RJ back personally :agree:

smurf
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Never noticed the earlier post when I recalled the 1-0. Found the pic I was thinking of though.:thumbsup:

What a great pic in front of a packed stand. I was in hospitality that night. Fantastic night. Must be nearly 5 years to the day!

Iggy Pope
17-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Just a wee update while we're all feeling so good....signed pic from the big man in the post this morning. Cup held aloft with the East going loopy behind him at the homecoming!

Top fellah!

Seanair
17-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Does he stilll have nightmares about playing in front of Hibs goalies?

SaulGoodman
17-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Some great memories in this thread, I don't care what the Yams say that cup win was my favourite day supporting Hibs. It's a shame to see how we're doing now, hopefully we can pick up form again

PS. I'm one of the people who WOULD take Collins back as a manager :wink: