PDA

View Full Version : Could it be a third time lucky?

JACK_HFC
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Could it be a third time lucky for Derek Riordan to finish his career at ER?

I certainly hope so! It seems Deek is having a bad time over in China and is expected to be released next month at the end of their season!

Deek and O'Connor up front! :top marks

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3908485/Lewis-would-welcome-Deek-back-at-Hibs.html

Jones28
02-11-2011, 09:51 PM
No ta

Riordan has been and should stay gone IMO

He's not the kind of player Hibs need: slow, lazy, petulant on occasion. Can be creative, but as he gets older his good games are far outweighed by his poor performances.

Thanks for the memories Deek :flag:

Alfred E Newman
02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
No ta

Riordan has been and should stay gone IMO

He's not the kind of player Hibs need: slow, lazy, petulant on occasion. Can be creative, but as he gets older his good games are far outweighed by his poor performances.

Thanks for the memories Deek :flag:

Spot on. Who needs the like of Deeks when we have that all action goal machine- Agogo!

Argylehibby
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Would we accept any other player treating Hibs the way he has in the past and then roll out the red carpet for his return?

First time round he signed a contract with Celtic, putting him out the game for months, to ensure we got nothing in transfer fee. We were taking the flack for it as well so let him go early for a nominal fee. That move doesn’t work out so we take him back paying Celtic for the privilege. He sees out that contract and leaves, again for nothing. That doesn’t work out for him so hey let’s take him back again!

Ian Murray left for nowt and was getting it tight when he came back and if we ever looked to bring back Caldwell this site would be in meltdown yet we want to welcome back someone who has "done" us twice.

No argument when he was here first time he was brilliant. Second time around let’s just say, not so good. Third time..... do we really want to take the chance?

Westie1875
02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes, I'd love him to come back again, to see him and GOC playing upfront together again for Hibs would be brilliant. You can't blame the laddie for trying something out which is apparently earning him £25k per week, that kind of money would set his family up for life.

Northernhibee
02-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Would we accept any other player treating Hibs the way he has in the past and then roll out the red carpet for his return?

First time round he signed a contract with Celtic, putting him out the game for months, to ensure we got nothing in transfer fee. We were taking the flack for it as well so let him go early for a nominal fee. That move doesn’t work out so we take him back paying Celtic for the privilege. He sees out that contract and leaves, again for nothing. That doesn’t work out for him so hey let’s take him back again!

Ian Murray left for nowt and was getting it tight when he came back and if we ever looked to bring back Caldwell this site would be in meltdown yet we want to welcome back someone who has "done" us twice.

No argument when he was here first time he was brilliant. Second time around let’s just say, not so good. Third time..... do we really want to take the chance?

:agree:

Deek is a club legend - he wasn't nearly as good second time round, let's leave it at that and let him remain a legend.

The Harp Awakes
02-11-2011, 10:59 PM

The difference is Deek is class above any player we currently have in our squad. I reckon playing alongside Gaz may just bring the best out of him. If he wanted back we'd be mad not to offer him a deal.

frazeHFC
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Hibs midfielder Lewis Stevenson would love to see Derek Riordan return to Easter Road for a third spell, with the striker currently out of favour at Chinese club Shaanxi Chanba. (Sun)

JACK_HFC
02-11-2011, 11:16 PM
The difference is Deek is class above any player we currently have in our squad. I reckon playing alongside Gaz may just bring the best out of him. If he wanted back we'd be mad not to offer him a deal.

Spot on!

Hibercelona
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
My guess is that he's eat too many noodles and has put it all back on again. :duck:

ScottB
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM

No, he could be a different class, but how often did he deliver that kind of performance in his last 6 months with us? Look at the impact Garry has had and the goals scored so far. Frankly he's on a different level to where Deek was last season, and he's been out the game injured for ages!

Personally, no, don't want him back, nor any others from the grand 'reunite the Mowbray squad' plan that seems to have been in action. Leave the memories in the past for me.

Hermit Crab
03-11-2011, 12:17 AM
No sorry as much as I loved deek for the goals he scored and what he done for the team the first time, the 2nd time around didn't work and I'm sure if there was a 3rd time around it wouldn't work either his time with Hibs had run its course in my opinion. Good luck to him though.

muzzhfc
03-11-2011, 12:19 AM
what the hell?!?!

no!! no!! no!! no!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

sorry but, incase you didnt get it, no. done well in his first spell, second spell was a mixed bag. thinks hes better than he is. which is ultimatley, his draw back . . .

greenlex
03-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Done ys twice????? He signed a contract last time and saw it out. Where s the done bit in that.? First time maybe but not second. I would argue without his goals we woud have really struggled last season.
FWIW I would look elsewhere but to have a go at the laddie is Out of order I reckon.

Luna Landing
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I cant believe all the slagging Deek gets . Ok his 2nd spell with us wasnt as good as his 1st but he's scored 104 goals - who else has a scoring record that even gets close. Its not as if he turned down a contract offer either time he left as we didnt offer him anything what was he supposed to do ?

Deek and Garry O up front sounds good to me.

PeeJay
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Think Riordan is his own worst enemy, as the current escapade in China seems yet again to be revealing. He is - IMO - a very talented footballer, but his attitude prevents him from progressing. This attitude and obvious immaturity are what prevents him from becoming a legend in my eyes. He could have done so much more with all that talent, but he has wasted his opportunities - scoring a 100 goals+ for Hibs is without doubt an achievement but I feel it does not place him anywhere near the the greats in football - he pales in significance to true Hibs legends like Baker, Reilly, Turnbull etc. - it's not just the goals: it's the attitude, application, professionalism, work-rate, dedication, motivation - I feel he let us down on these.

I wouldn't welcome him back at ER, but I can see that most Hibs fans probably would...

... mind you I thought O'Connor coming back was a bad move for us, but he's certainly proved me wrong on that, so...

heretoday
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd take him back till the end of the season.

He doesn't seem like CC's type of player though and it's up to him.

smurf
03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
No we are obviously too good for a 100+ goal SPL player....

Honestly what planet are some of us on?

hibee_girl
03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Would love to see him back again. Him and GOC back together could be amazing for us :agree:

NYHibby
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
I would sign him until the end of the season only if we lose both O'Connor and Griffiths in January and are unable to sign a better replacement for them. If he proves himself, then I would sign him for another year. I just don't believe that he is our striker of the future and he would only serve as a stopgap if he came back for a 3rd spell.

In his defence, Shaanxi isn't the most happening place in China.

Phil MaGlass
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
No ta, at the moment we have adequate players up front, then again, the january window will soon be upon us, who knows what will happen, but still, no from me.

Phil MaGlass
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd take him back till the end of the season.

He doesn't seem like CC's type of player though and it's up to him.

mibbe CC doesnt like his style of play?

ScottB
03-11-2011, 10:41 AM

It's how good he would be in the future that is in question, not how good he was in his first stint with the club.

How many goals did he score for us between January and the end of last season?

Argylehibby
03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Done ys twice????? He signed a contract last time and saw it out. Where s the done bit in that.? First time maybe but not second. I would argue without his goals we woud have really struggled last season.
FWIW I would look elsewhere but to have a go at the laddie is Out of order I reckon.

Ian Murray signed a contract and saw it out. Plenty though it OK to have a go at him. He got dogs abuse on here when he signed for Rangers and even more when he played for them against us. Argument put forward was he had signed a pre-contract but hadn’t admitted it.

Gary Caldwell signed a contract and saw it out. He signed a pre contract and admitted it. He was booed by his own support when he played his first game after it was announced and is routinely slated on here as being useless despite a shed load of caps and a few goals for his country. Both "done" us out of a transfer fee.

Deek does worse than either of them first time around and then to rub salt in, follows up with a second departure, for nothing, and some think we should open our arms and say come back "home" a 3rd time?? Do you think Murray (in his time away from ER) or Caldwell deserve (d) the flack they get on here? Would either get welcomed back a 3rd time? In fact would anyone other than Deeks get away with leaving (or intending to leave) twice for nothing and get welcomed back. IMHO Deeks is more deserving of "having a go" than either of the other 2.

hughio
03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
If he wants to come and wants to play I say yes.

Nobody in the squad apart from GoC looks likely to score goals

Derek always threatens. :agree:

lucky
03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
DR is a quality player, he would enhance Hibs but the reality will he come and what sort of money would Hibs offer. If there is money available I would rather get a RB,LB, CH or midfielder than another forward.

Beefster
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM

That argument assumes that we wouldn't have replaced him with someone capable of scoring goals. It's a bit like saying that we'd have struggled without Jarko Wiss because we'd have been playing with 10 men every week.

HibbyAndy
03-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Spot on.

The criticism DR gets on here is nothing short of staggering.

Pretty Boy
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
If it was a choice between DR or keeping O'Connor or Griffiths for longer it would be a no from me.

Green_one
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
All too predictable

Deeks dumps Hibs for a 'much better deal', he fails and then the 'Deeks the Legend' brigade want him back.

IF he was on £25k a week he will not want back and will be set for much better things. No??? About as true a description as his 100 goals striker. Yeah statistically but not in the last two seasons with us, when he was poor to say the least.

He is now a caste off's caste off. No ta. Too good for us and Scottish football, remember. He might at least recall his own reasons for leaving. Time to move on.

Dashing Bob S
03-11-2011, 05:46 PM
All too predictable

Deeks dumps Hibs for a 'much better deal', he fails and then the 'Deeks the Legend' brigade want him back.

IF he was on £25k a week he will not want back and will be set for much better things. No??? About as true a description as his 100 goals striker. Yeah statistically but not in the last two seasons with us, when he was poor to say the least.

He is now a caste off's caste off. No ta. Too good for us and Scottish football, remember. He might at least recall his own reasons for leaving. Time to move on.

To be fair to Deeks, I'm probably too good for Scottish football- not exactly an earth-shattering revelation.

He is both a legend, and should be loved for that, but also a spent force, and shouldn't be back. Lets not polarize into camps on this, just appreciate what he gave us but accept he doesn't have anything to offer now.

R'Albin
03-11-2011, 05:46 PM
All too predictable

Maybe he just fancied trying something different? I'm pretty sure he has never said he is too good for Hibs and Scottish football. He obviously still loves the club, considering on one of his few days off he travelled over to watch the derby.

Footballers only have short careers, so you can hardly blame him for taking 30k a week over 2k a week.

He's scored over a hundred goals for us and he gets this amount of stick. Jesus:rolleyes:

KeithTheHibby
03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
All too predictable

I am not aware of DR ever being offered a deal by Hibs at the end of the season so I am not sure how you can gather that he dumped us.

Sumner
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
would be great to see him back with Garry, even if short-term
100+ Hibs goals, Derek should be welcomed back home.

HibsMax
03-11-2011, 06:55 PM

I know what you're saying but that's in the past. According to Wikipedia Colin Nish is the 10th top goal scorer in the SPL, should we take a chance on him? :wink: How about Henrik? Of course I am kidding, my point is just that how good a player was in the past doesn't mean he will be good now.

That said.....

I would take Deek back but the conditions of his employment would need to be carefully thought out.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Make your mind up on the bit in bold eh.

As for the second period, Hibs never offered him a new contract so what was Deek to do, he seen out his contract which he is perfectly entitled to do or is there something in the rule's that you must be sold during your contract, if he had moved during that time i am sure you would still be moaning about him.

The second bit in bold, 40 goals from him in his second spell while at Hibs, when did that become not so good for Hibs.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Ian Murray signed a contract and saw it out. Plenty though it OK to have a go at him. He got dogs abuse on here when he signed for Rangers and even more when he played for them against us. Argument put forward was he had signed a pre-contract but hadn’t admitted it.

Gary Caldwell signed a contract and saw it out. He signed a pre contract and admitted it. He was booed by his own support when he played his first game after it was announced and is routinely slated on here as being useless despite a shed load of caps and a few goals for his country. Both "done" us out of a transfer fee.

Deek does worse than either of them first time around and then to rub salt in, follows up with a second departure, for nothing, and some think we should open our arms and say come back "home" a 3rd time?? Do you think Murray (in his time away from ER) or Caldwell deserve (d) the flack they get on here? Would either get welcomed back a 3rd time? In fact would anyone other than Deeks get away with leaving (or intending to leave) twice for nothing and get welcomed back. IMHO Deeks is more deserving of "having a go" than either of the other 2.

Hibs never offered him a new contract, what was he to do.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
All too predictable

IF he was on £25k a week he will not want back and will be set for much better things. No??? About as true a description as his 100 goals striker. Yeah statistically but not in the last two seasons with us, when he was poor to say the least. He is now a caste off's caste off. No ta. Too good for us and Scottish football, remember. He might at least recall his own reasons for leaving. Time to move on.

First bit in bold, 28 goals for someone who played left midfield in one of the seasons seems not to bad to me, and thats not to mention his assists in these two seasons.

The second bit that you have highlighted, when did he ever say that or are you just making it up so it makes you feel better when you are having your digs about Deek.

And your first sentence, when did he dump Hibs for a better deal, once again you are just making things up, but knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

Franck is God
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Hibs should not be Derek Riordan's personal back up club.

He has left twice and that should be the end of his playing days at ER, when Hibs were struggling last season you expect your senior players to step up and he like others simply failed to do that.

I don't know whether he was offered a new deal to stay or not but for me he didn't deserve a new deal. I imagine that a conversation was had with his agent and when the figure was quoted that might tempt him to resign was mentioned Hibs will have walked away pretty quickly.

Argylehibby
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Make your mind up on the bit in bold eh.

As for the second period, Hibs never offered him a new contract so what was Deek to do, he seen out his contract which he is perfectly entitled to do or is there something in the rule's that you must be sold during your contract, if he had moved during that time i am sure you would still be moaning about him.

The second bit in bold, 40 goals from him in his second spell while at Hibs, when did that become not so good for Hibs.

No need to make my mind up on anything Silver, the first bit says exactly what it means.

He signed a pre contract with Celtic that kept him out of football from the end of his existing contract with us until his birthday in mid January. The sole reason for the signing on date being mid January was that it meant Hibs got nothing. Even you cannot dispute that surely. Had his birthday been in February his signing on at Parkhead would have been on the first of January or if it was allowed the 1st day he was no longer contracted to Hibs so that he could play on 1st of January when the transfer window opened. Hibs came under fire from the media and were blamed for putting him out of the game for a period of time and then they negotiated an early release from his existing contract and received a minimal fee. I dont suggest that the media had anything to do with the decision to sell early but regardless of why and what the club did to negotiate a fee and transfer Deek early the intention from the player was obviously to ensure that we got nothing.

The 2nd bit in bold is again accurate and I can’t see how anyone can believe the performances over his 2nd spell here were as good as the first. I didn’t say they were not good by Hibs standards but that they were not as good as his first time around, not as good as his standards. Do you think that is inaccurate?

Argylehibby
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Hibs never offered him a new contract, what was he to do.

I'm sure you will know more than me but did Hibs perhaps ask him what he was looking for to stay, choked at the answer and decided that there was no point in trying and concentrated on finding a replacement? I should add I dont know if that is the case and even if it was I would have thought making an offer was the least the Board should have done.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Hibs should not be Derek Riordan's personal back up club.He has left twice and that should be the end of his playing days at ER, when Hibs were struggling last season you expect your senior players to step up and he like others simply failed to do that.

I don't know whether he was offered a new deal to stay or not but for me he didn't deserve a new deal. I imagine that a conversation was had with his agent and when the figure was quoted that might tempt him to resign was mentioned Hibs will have walked away pretty quickly.

Who said it was.

He wasn't offered a new contract, CC kept saying to the press that they would sit down during the summer and talk, it never happened and DR moved on.

Beefster
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Who said it was.

He wasn't offered a new contract, CC kept saying to the press that they would sit down during the summer and talk, it never happened and DR moved on.

IIIRC, Riordan announced, before the summer, that he wanted to leave and play outside the SPL. That would put the kibosh on any talks on staying at Hibs, planned for the summer, surely?

"I have played in the SPL now for the last nine years so it maybe is better for me to move on to a new challenge". Strange thing to say if he wanted to stay at Hibs and was waiting for talks.

marinello59
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Who said it was.

Would he have turned doiwn the mega bucks on offer elsewhere to stay with Hibs if offered then? Surely he wouldn't have been that daft.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
IIIRC, Riordan announced, before the summer, that he wanted to leave and play outside the SPL. That would put the kibosh on any talks on staying at Hibs, planned for the summer, surely?

"I have played in the SPL now for the last nine years so it maybe is better for me to move on to a new challenge". Strange thing to say if he wanted to stay at Hibs and was waiting for talks.

The talks never happened, he got an offer from China and took it. Thats about it.

Captain Trips
04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
If there is an opportunity to sign DR it should be looked into IMO, He was excellent first time and good 2nd time so I do not see what the problem is, if he could be signed for a longer contract then I would go for it, far to many players coming and going upfront some of which are not very good.

Gamble worth taking for me but has got to be for a longer contract.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Would he have turned doiwn the mega bucks on offer elsewhere to stay with Hibs if offered then? Surely he wouldn't have been that daft.

What do you think.

dangermouse
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
No need to make my mind up on anything Silver, the first bit says exactly what it means.

He signed a pre contract with Celtic that kept him out of football from the end of his existing contract with us until his birthday in mid January. The sole reason for the signing on date being mid January was that it meant Hibs got nothing. Even you cannot dispute that surely. Had his birthday been in February his signing on at Parkhead would have been on the first of January or if it was allowed the 1st day he was no longer contracted to Hibs so that he could play on 1st of January when the transfer window opened. Hibs came under fire from the media and were blamed for putting him out of the game for a period of time and then they negotiated an early release from his existing contract and received a minimal fee. I dont suggest that the media had anything to do with the decision to sell early but regardless of why and what the club did to negotiate a fee and transfer Deek early the intention from the player was obviously to ensure that we got nothing.

The 2nd bit in bold is again accurate and I can’t see how anyone can believe the performances over his 2nd spell here were as good as the first. I didn’t say they were not good by Hibs standards but that they were not as good as his first time around, not as good as his standards. Do you think that is inaccurate?

IIRC the reason he couldn't move from Hibs to Celtic until January on a pre contract was because his contract with Hibs didn't expire until October. There was nothing sisnister about it and was eventually the reason Celtic stumped with a nominal fee allowing the transfer to be completed before the window closed at the end of August.

marinello59
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
What do you think.

I think he would have been crazy to turn down the money on offer but that's just my opinion. I know nothing. :greengrin

marinello59
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
If there is an opportunity to sign DR it should be looked into IMO, He was excellent first time and good 2nd time so I do not see what the problem is, if he could be signed for a longer contract then I would go for it, far to many players coming and going upfront some of which are not very good.

Gamble worth taking for me but has got to be for a longer contract.

A gamble but it has to be for a long term contract? Bookmakers must love you. :greengrin

Captain Trips
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
A gamble but it has to be for a long term contract? Bookmakers must love you. :greengrin

Why? any signing is a gamble however we need to start bringing in players for more than 6-12mths, the manager and board clearly have no plans as there is a high chance that we will have a completely different choice of strikers next season of whom we do not know, that surely isnt good.

silverhibee
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Its pointless going over old ground Mr M59, its more people saying Deek was tom kite in his last spell at Hibs, " he has been crap for the last two seasons" where about, he had a poor last half season along with the rest of the team, season before that, 17 goals from left midfield and setting up a fair few for Stokes in that season that got us in to Europe, gee whizz he has scored over 100 goals for the club he has supported since a lad and still does, and as R'albin said on his last visit home for a few days he gets along to see his team in the Derby game, and he gets the stick he is getting from fans on here for doing that, scoring all these goals i mean.
Unbelievable.

I have never once said that Derek should come back to Hibs for a third spell, but i wouldn't moan if he did, not saying you are moaning by the way,:greengrin, it just seems that a number of folk on here only want to remember his last six months rather than the whole time he was at Hibs. :aok:

marinello59
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Its pointless going over old ground Mr M59, its more people saying Deek was tom kite in his last spell at Hibs, " he has been crap for the last two seasons" where about, he had a poor last half season along with the rest of the team, season before that, 17 goals from left midfield and setting up a fair few for Stokes in that season that got us in to Europe, gee whizz he has scored over 100 goals for the club he has supported since a lad and still does, and as R'albin said on his last visit home for a few days he gets along to see his team in the Derby game, and he gets the stick he is getting from fans on here for doing that, scoring all these goals i mean.
Unbelievable.

I have never once said that Derek should come back to Hibs for a third spell, but i wouldn't moan if he did, not saying you are moaning by the way,:greengrin, it just seems that a number of folk on here only want to remember his last six months rather than the whole time he was at Hibs. :aok:

I just want to remember his goals and that feeling of anticipation that swept around the ground as we waited for him to take a free kick within sight of goal. :thumbsup:

Argylehibby
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
IIRC the reason he couldn't move from Hibs to Celtic until January on a pre contract was because his contract with Hibs didn't expire until October. There was nothing sisnister about it and was eventually the reason Celtic stumped with a nominal fee allowing the transfer to be completed before the window closed at the end of August.

His contract expired in October / November. He couldn’t sign with Celtic until then or possibly on 1st January when the transfer window opened. He signed a pre contract that would have him sign for Celtic on his birthday which was mid January because on that birthday he reached the age where Hibs could not claim any fee for him. In effect 2 or 3 weeks later than was necessary with the sole purpose that Celtic did not need to pay us a penny.

I can’t remember the exact rule or age, but if you sign a player under a certain age, the buying club still has to pay a fee to cover the training and development that the player received while a youth. By delaying the signing date it meant we had no claim. Does that sound a bit more sinister?

ScottB
04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
All things aside, I think the club needs to move on, and a total change in the culture and style of the club is required.

The whole 'bringing the band back together' policy has had its run, no more of them thanks!

ancient hibee
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
His contract expired in October / November. He couldn’t sign with Celtic until then or possibly on 1st January when the transfer window opened. He signed a pre contract that would have him sign for Celtic on his birthday which was mid January because on that birthday he reached the age where Hibs could not claim any fee for him. In effect 2 or 3 weeks later than was necessary with the sole purpose that Celtic did not need to pay us a penny.

I can’t remember the exact rule or age, but if you sign a player under a certain age, the buying club still has to pay a fee to cover the training and development that the player received while a youth. By delaying the signing date it meant we had no claim. Does that sound a bit more sinister?

As I recall the fee from Celtic was more than would have been paid for training and development so the above is all pretty meaningless isn't it.

Captain Trips
04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
All things aside, I think the club needs to move on, and a total change in the culture and style of the club is required.

The whole 'bringing the band back together' policy has had its run, no more of them thanks!

This run of bringing them in for a year then doing it again isnt really working, if DR is good enough sign him if available, if this is the club moved on we are in trouble.

Winston Ingram
04-11-2011, 08:33 PM
To be fair to Deeks, I'm probably too good for Scottish football- not exactly an earth-shattering revelation.

He is both a legend, and should be loved for that, but also a spent force, and shouldn't be back. Lets not polarize into camps on this, just appreciate what he gave us but accept he doesn't have anything to offer now.

This:agree:
:flag:

Nailrod
05-11-2011, 01:28 AM
To be fair to Deeks, during his second spell at ER Hibs were utter, complete, and total garbage. During two full seasons from 2009 to 2011 we scored more than two goals at ER against SPL opposition on precisely two occasions (none at all in season 2010-11). Over the same period we were thrashed (0-3 or 4 or more conceded) at least once each by Rangers, Celtic, St Johnstone, Dundee United, Hamilton, Aberdeen, and Inverness Caley. We didn't win a single game against Hearts (who at least had the decency to refrain from thrashing us). We also managed the feat of producing the worst ever performance by a bottom six club post-split - one point from five games.

That Deeks scored any goals at all was testament to his ability. He has never been the type of player who could carry a bunch of fourth-rate journeymen on his own, and he was hardly likely to while playing left midfield all the time. I don't recall him missing too many from out there.