PDA

View Full Version : NHC Billy Sharp of Doncaster Rovers

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Played and scored only a couple days after his 2 day old son died, massive respect to him.

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390231_176903199063866_121825491238304_362759_2033 359560_n.jpg

Westie1875
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Played and scored only a couple days after his 2 year old son died, massive respect to him.

2 days old according to this (http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2502177,00.html)

Absolutely tragic.

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
2 days old according to this (http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10329~2502177,00.html)

Absolutely tragic.

Sorry, that's what I meant, but as you said absolutely tragic.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
That's incredible and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it really.

If I'd lost my 2 year old son, I definitely wouldn't want to be at work a couple of days after he'd died.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if the fact he was only 2 days old would make it easier or not.

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
He obviously had a lot of stress and bad energy to release, to do it on the football pitch I hope helped and it shows how brave the man is. Cracker of a goal too, btw.

Hibercelona
01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Just heard it mentioned on the TV earlier on. Really sad news.

It would have taken him a lot of courage just to turn up for training, never mind playing in front of a fairly large crowd and scoring goals.

The Harp
01-11-2011, 10:28 PM

If I'd lost my 2 year old son, I definitely wouldn't want to be at work a couple of days after he'd died.

I know what you mean, don't think I could've done it. We all handle grief differently though and he did what was right for him. Hope it has helped his family in some way.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/390231_176903199063866_121825491238304_362759_2033 359560_n.jpg

Huge respect for him. I know I certainly couldn't have done it.

My grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago, fairly suddenly, and I'm still struggling with doing several things at the moment.

Going by that photo, he would probably have received a yellow card for his celebration. PLEASE tell me that the referee let common sense prevail and let him go unpunished? :confused:

R'Albin
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Massive credit to him for doing that:agree:

Didn't Tony Pulis recently turn up for a Stoke game in the second half an hour after his dad died?

Dunbar Hibee
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM

My grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago, fairly suddenly, and I'm still struggling with doing several things at the moment.

Going by that photo, he would probably have received a yellow card for his celebration. PLEASE tell me that the referee let common sense prevail and let him go unpunished? :confused:

I would hope so mate.

R'Albin
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Sorry for your loss FH.

That would be disgraceful if he got booked for that, surely the ref didn't though..?

_hucks_
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
He didn't get booked, no.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM

What are you not comfortable with?

Surely how people react to grief and bereavement is such a personal process and everyone will deal with it differently? I personally couldn't have played just two days after my baby son had died either but he obviously felt that he had to do that tonight and I don't see how anyone can say that they're "uncomfortable" with that.

You may find that he's still running on adrenaline at the moment, given that his son only passed away at the weekend and that his death hasn't really sunk in yet. It may be a few weeks or even a month down the line when his loss becomes a reality and he struggles with his football.

Grief's a very "funny" thing and there's no right or wrong way to deal with it.

Sir David Gray
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
He didn't get booked, no.

I'm so glad to hear that.

Well done to the referee as it would have been easy for him to stick by his rulebook and to allow his bosses at the FA to tick all the right boxes on his performance.

Given the circumstances, that would have been completely out of order.

hibsfan7
02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Puts the rest of those prima donas to shame ie tevez

YehButNoBut
02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Some recent tweets from Billy Sharp, he had 5,500 followers before last nights game, he now has over 20,000.

@billysharp10 (http://www.hibs.net/#!/billysharp10) billy sharp
I am absolutely overwhelmed with the support from ppl allover the world has given to me tonite,I really can't thank u all enough.amazing

My goal tonight was the most important goal of my career dedicated to my brave boy luey jacob sharp I love u son sleep tight.thatsforyouson

To captain the side tonite was an honour and a pleasure,the minute applause I was crying meant so much to me thanks to both sets of fans

My goal had to be something special tonight for my special boy.I'm so proud of him,and his mum @jadecarlie86 (http://www.hibs.net/#!/jadecarlie86)

Omg I had 5500 followers before tonights game now its doubled,incredible,and again I thank you all.

LancashireHibby
02-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Top, top respect. As mentioned, people deal with their grief in different ways. My nephew died within minutes of being born a few years ago and I just buried my head in work to take my mind off it.

hibsbollah
02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/s51mV_n3sdDYCZlVvTWuYNw/view.m?id=15&gid=football/blog/2011/nov/02/billy-sharp-son-referee&cat=football

Good article by the excellent Paolo Bandini here.
For those critical of his decision to play, its worth remembering that athletes get endorphins and adrenaline released from exercise that make them, well, happier.

heidtheba
02-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Good on him, as posted earlier it would not be how I'd handle grief but if it works for him then he did it well
any info on how the opposition fans reacted to it?

essexhibee
02-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Inspiration.

Puts Carlos Tevez, John Terry etc to shame. Tevez doesn't play because he doesn't feel like it, Billy Sharp plays just days after the tragic loss of his two year old son.

Thats a real man there.

HibsMax
02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
For those of you wondering if the ref booked him for excessive celebration and hoping that he wouldn't be, well, it does happen. Here's a story I read over here recently (American High School football content):
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/louisville-high-school-celebration-penalty/

I'm_cabbaged
02-11-2011, 09:05 PM

What are you not comfortable with?

Surely how people react to grief and bereavement is such a personal process and everyone will deal with it differently? I personally couldn't have played just two days after my baby son had died either but he obviously felt that he had to do that tonight and I don't see how anyone can say that they're "uncomfortable" with that.

You may find that he's still running on adrenaline at the moment, given that his son only passed away at the weekend and that his death hasn't really sunk in yet. It may be a few weeks or even a month down the line when his loss becomes a reality and he struggles with his football.

Grief's a very "funny" thing and there's no right or wrong way to deal with it.

:agree:

Heart breaking story, my own son who's birthday is today died at 13 days old. As FH says grief hits people in various ways, going by my own experience it didn't hit me until the funeral what had really happened. Whether it was staying strong for my wife and trying to keep life as normal as possible for my other son, just being in a state of shock or being in denial I don't know, probably a mixture of them all.
One thing I do know though is this will hit him, and hit him hard at some stage, maybe not just now.

God bless all the angels.

milno1897
03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Massive credit to him for doing that:agree:

Didn't Tony Pulis recently turn up for a Stoke game in the second half an hour after his dad died?

Aye think he did like.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Scored again today!
Nice one! Applauded by the home fans too.

JimBHibees
05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Scored again today!
Nice one! Applauded by the home fans too.

Saw that, lovely touch by the Ipswich fans.

Craig_in_Prague
06-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Saw that, lovely touch by the Ipswich fans.

Just seen that now on Goals on Sunday.

Well done the Ipswich fans :aok:

HibbyAndy
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Good gesture from the Ipswich fans :aok:

Im now keeping an eye on Doncaster results, Mon the playoffs :agree: