Will Gazza be off, or can Hibs afford to keep him? :confused:

:hibees

Viva_Palmeiras
01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Que sera sera.
Enjoy he quality whilst it's there.

Andy74
01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I can't see why anyone on a one year deal would be going anywhere in January.

Sylar
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM

The board just announced 900k losses, main striker is on form and undoubtedly attracting interest, so they'll very possibly look to cash in now and take something, rather than lose him for nothing come May.

green glory
01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
The board just announced 900k losses, main striker is on form and undoubtedly attracting interest, so they'll very possibly look to cash in now and take something, rather than lose him for nothing come May.

The 'tache now has the dilemma of balancing the books, or biting the bullet for the sake of (hopefully) better results. The worry is that the holy dollar will win though.

Andy74
01-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Nah, can't see that half way through a one year deal and with a court case or two coming up and having already not really made the grade in Engand.

Anyone interested will just wait until the summer. We certainly won't be talking the types of figures that would make us remotely interested in selling our only decent player.

basehibby
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Don't see this happening personally - financial return would be pretty minimal and at vast risk of alienating supporters. As for Garry himself - wouldn't fit in with his professed love of Hibs to F off only half way through the season.

Franck is God
01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
court dates coming up in the new year that could come with a sentence will ensure a lack of interest in January.

Also this was a season for O'Connor to prove that he was fit and able to play without breaking down with another injury, he's not exactly poor so doesn't need a big move for the money, I'm pretty sure he's happy just playing every week.

Sylar
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Nah, can't see that half way through a one year deal and with a court case or two coming up and having already not really made the grade in Engand.

Anyone interested will just wait until the summer. We certainly won't be talking the types of figures that would make us remotely interested in selling our only decent player.

Financial apocalypse stories aside, I really wouldn't be surprised if Rangers came in with a low-valuation bid for him in January. The announcement of Naismith being out for the next 8 to 9 months with ACL damage will mean they'll be on the lookout for a cheap, but proven SPL striker and GO fits the bill well. They'll also want someone quickly so might be happy to pay a nominal fee.

I doubt the court case will give them too much cause for concern - it certainly didn't when they were chasing Goodwillie.

.Sean.
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
If he receives an offer he fancies, I've absolutely no doubt he will be off. He's told players he'll certainly not be here next season. Let's just enjoy him while we have him, which I don't think will be very long.

euro Hibby
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
He is 29 and has maybe a last chance to get a good contract , so providing he keeps performing, I would think that he will be off if he gets a good offer and Hibs can recoup some cash !

sahib
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Bite their hand off!

Beefster
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
If we sell him in January for [relative] peanuts rather than just hold onto him until the summer and hope that he can continue to pile the goals in, Rodders and co need to have a long look at themselves in the mirror.

marinello59
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Will Gazza be off, or can Hibs afford to keep him? :confused:

:hibees

No he won't be off and yes, we can afford to keep him for the remainder of his one year deal. Neither player nor club would benefit substantially from a January move.

ScottB
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Financial apocalypse stories aside, I really wouldn't be surprised if Rangers came in with a low-valuation bid for him in January. The announcement of Naismith being out for the next 8 to 9 months with ACL damage will mean they'll be on the lookout for a cheap, but proven SPL striker and GO fits the bill well. They'll also want someone quickly so might be happy to pay a nominal fee.

I doubt the court case will give them too much cause for concern - it certainly didn't when they were chasing Goodwillie.

Rangers can barely afford to keep the lights on, they won't be bidding for anyone if they even make it to January as a going concern.

Stevie Reid
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Whatever Rangers offered for Deek in the last few months of his contract (which we turned down when we were seriously in debt and they were a lot better off), they wouldn't be able to match or better now - so I can't see it happening.

Andy74
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
If he receives an offer he fancies, I've absolutely no doubt he will be off. He's told players he'll certainly not be here next season. Let's just enjoy him while we have him, which I don't think will be very long.

He's under contract until the summer so makes no odds if he gets an offer he fancies.

No danger we would accept a reduced fee in January. If we even consider it we might as well close the gates.

In the past we've turned down similar moves for Boozy and Jones as I recall and they were not as important as Garry is to us this year.

oregonhibby
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Any offer would be based on paying up the balance of salary to the end of the season plus a small sweetener - I would imagine. It then depends what multiple of salary any new club offers Gary to entice him away.

Last chance for a decent contract. The issue will be acceptability of his alleged social activities.

I hope he stays!

Andy74
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Any offer would be based on paying up the balance of salary to the end of the season plus a small sweetener - I would imagine. It then depends what multiple of salary any new club offers Gary to entice him away.

Last chance for a decent contract. The issue will be acceptability of his alleged social activities.

I hope he stays!

It doesn't matter what any offer is based on, it only matters what is acceptable to Hibs to part with a player under contract.

In all the circumstances I can't see there being anyone willing or able to come anywhere near what Hibs would deem acceptable to let him go half way through what was only a one year contract.