PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon interesting Fulham

millarco
31-10-2011, 08:29 PM
According to BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15531286.stm

Gatecrasher
31-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Hanlon will develop into a very good player IMO but its a bit early for him at the moment, another year or 2 at Hibs will see him progress.

R'Albin
31-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Hanlon will develop into a very good player IMO but its a bit early for him at the moment, another year or 2 at Hibs will see him progress.

Yup, I find it a bit weird that they are after him now, he was playing a lot better a few months ago?

Supraninja
31-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Think they would swap for Hangeland?

Andy74
31-10-2011, 08:53 PM
The car is ready and good to go....

lucky
31-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry but this is just rubbish. Wilson can't get a regular game at Celtic and Hanlon who has been so poor for us that he is now playing left back. No way either of them would cut it in the EPL

H18sry
31-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Sorry but this is just rubbish. Wilson can't get a regular game at Celtic and Hanlon who has been so poor for us that he is now playing left back. No way either of them would cut it in the EPL

Maybe Fulham are planning for life in the Championship :greengrin

Big Frank
31-10-2011, 09:30 PM
:faf:

NthCarolinaHibs
31-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Strange to think,any team has seen anything in our team, to get their pencil sharpened, towards a cheque book :confused:

blairwallace
31-10-2011, 09:44 PM
£4 million plus 10% of the next sale and you have a deal Fulham, anything less and you can off

Jones28
31-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Steven Fletcher was in the same position, stagnated at Hibs and wasn't playing too well and went down south and flourished.

Hanlon could maybe be in the same position?

3pm
31-10-2011, 09:48 PM
How much would they pay? £500K? Hardly a gamble in Premiership terms if there is any truth in this.

Wotherspiniesta
31-10-2011, 10:10 PM
How much would they pay? £500K? Hardly a gamble in Premiership terms if there is any truth in this.

£500k? For a Scotland Under 21 captain and stalwart in the Hibernian rearguard? A pox damn you, you muddy rascal! £3million Mr Jol and thats a minimum.

lyonhibs
31-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Steven Fletcher was in the same position, stagnated at Hibs and wasn't playing too well and went down south and flourished.

Fletcher may have been stagnating, but he'd shown class in his performances before the end of his Hibs career that Hanlon can but dream of. You're not really comparing apples with apples there.

Hanlon would get torn a new one, week in, week out in the Premiership at this stage, and it'll take a hefty acceleration in his career progression to make me think that will ever not be the case.

Albion Hibs
31-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Yup, I find it a bit weird that they are after him now, he was playing a lot better a few months ago?

Agreed. And to be honest I would doubt it. It is probably his removed jambo agent just trying to unsettle things on our side of the town given all the pash that is going on over at Tynecastle.

HibeeDaz6270
31-10-2011, 10:30 PM
£500k? For a Scotland Under 21 captain and stalwart in the Hibernian rearguard? A pox damn you, you muddy rascal! £3million Mr Jol and thats a minimum..
If any other club in the spl were to ask for a figure of 3million pounds for a prospect similar to hanlon we would laugh in there faces. Complete overvaluation , which tends to happen alot from hibs fans. He is a prospect, Unfortunately that is all he is. He will never develop in to a top player and a lower half premiership team will be his limits. I suppose thats only my opinion. But we have to start being realistic as to what we have . An offer of around the 700k - £1million mark would be very difficult to turn down. And perhaps a very bad move from Hibs if they did.

Bayern Bru
31-10-2011, 11:56 PM
"Gary Caldwell."

i.e. anything is possible.

basehibby
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Hanlon is a lot better player than many on here give him credit for - he has made mistakes but is surviving a sharp learning curve and will only get better for shouldering the responsibility he has at an early age.

I can see him developing into a very good defender and it seems the Fulham scouts share that opinon.

Pete
01-11-2011, 04:48 AM
I don't doubt these players caught the scouts attention but I doubt they were the primary targets. There's so much talent in the Celtic line up and Fulham could pick them off like vultures.

Probably some overheard conversations and nothing too much to worry about.

scoopyboy
01-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Hanlon is a lot better player than many on here give him credit for - he has made mistakes but is surviving a sharp learning curve and will only get better for shouldering the responsibility he has at an early age.

I can see him developing into a very good defender and it seems the Fulham scouts share that opinon.

He will move and make Hibs decent money, but he isn't ready for a move.

He is contracted until 2016 and IMO about 2014 will be when he moves.

Septimus
01-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Perhaps given a well regulated training regime and a Premiership work ethic he will become an excellent defender.

sahib
01-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Bite their hand off!

Andy74
01-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm totally against playing young centre halfs, and goalkeepers at Hibs - what is the point?

They are lightweight and make mistakes and once they get better and more experienced some other team gets the benefit.

We should stick to experienced rugged players in those positions. I don't know why we don't just get a couple of big ugly guys from the lower English leagues. Would be more than adequate for us.

Phil MaGlass
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

dont know if its stagnating or not playing in position or having the right players around you, not getting at you but why is it english clubs can see the player inside them and Hibs the club/fans cant get the best out of them??

Andy74
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM
dont know if its stagnating or not playing in position or having the right players around you, not getting at you but why is it english clubs can see the player inside them and Hibs the club/fans cant get the best out of them??

Fletcher obviously had talent and had been talked about as a future star for some years.

I don't think he was stagnating, that's nonsense, he needs to outperform the league he is in.

I think he was just pretty poor in his last year with us. He missed chances he is sticking away now and he'd have to answer why that was the case. Probably a bit unahppy that his move hadn't come a bit earlier and not really applying himself to the extent he is now that he's happy and making a frtune.

Part/Time Supporter
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Fletcher obviously had talent and had been talked about as a future star for some years.

I don't think he was stagnating, that's nonsense, he needs to outperform the league he is in.

I think he was just pretty poor in his last year with us. He missed chances he is sticking away now and he'd have to answer why that was the case. Probably a bit unahppy that his move hadn't come a bit earlier and not really applying himself to the extent he is now that he's happy and making a frtune.

Celtc are having the same problem with a few of their players this year (Kayal, Hooper and Ki in particular).

Billy Whizz
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Mr Jol, £1 Million for him and he's yours!

marinello59
01-11-2011, 10:43 AM

You reckon? IMHO Fletcher was trying as hard as he always did during the latter stages of his time with us despite being denounced by a large number of experts on here as an over rated one footed player who would never play at a higher level. He was putting in more than decent performances, noted by fans of other clubs and managers down South but not by ourselves for some reason.

Beefster
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
You reckon? IMHO Fletcher was trying as hard as he always did during the latter stages of his time with us despite being denounced by a large number of experts on here as an over rated one footed player who would never play at a higher level. He was putting in more than decent performances, noted by fans of other clubs and managers down South but not by ourselves for some reason.

Indeed. It was always obvious that Fletcher was sheer class, even if he didn't score as regularly as someone like O'Connor.

Phil MaGlass
01-11-2011, 10:59 AM

agree, and Hanlon has many years ahead of him (at Hibs) to become better and worth alot more to Hibs, in a couple of years we may well be talking millions instead of the 500-1m thats being touted here. He is also a Scotland U21 captain.

Phil MaGlass
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM

I thought he was outstanding in the latter stages with us?

Andy74
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Whilst I wouldn't go as far as saying he would never make it, which is rubbish as he has been proving, it's also true that he didn't look like an EPL striker stuck in the SPL during his last year.

He was missing one on ones in key games, he had a nightmare start to the season and wasted Alan O'Brien's couple of good games with some terrible misses when he was laid on and he had two or three at the back post where he went with things with his wrong foot.

I think that's the reason. People weren't unsure of his ability in the main but about how he had been performing.

GreenPJ
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Hanlon is as good if not better than Berra was when he was up here. Berra did have the advantage of an experienced centre half beside him for a while to coach him during games. Berra is starting to slowly establish himself as an EPL defender so no reason why Hanlon would not do likewise.

Personally would rather see him stay with an experienced CH beside him so he can learn and develop.

Franck is God
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I think Hanlon is an outstanding defender and one of our own and can't understand anyone desperate to find fault with everything he does on the pitch. Given that he is only 21 his level of consistency is superb and there is definitely a future full international there that will play at a higher level than the SPL within the next few years.

basehibby
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
He will move and make Hibs decent money, but he isn't ready for a move.

He is contracted until 2016 and IMO about 2014 will be when he moves.

:agree: Agreed - I'd hope that by the end of this season we will see the emergence of an increasingly consistent performer, and that we'd get a couple of good seasons out of him thereafter.

scoopyboy
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Hanlon is an outstanding defender and one of our own and can't understand anyone desperate to find fault with everything he does on the pitch. Given that he is only 21 his level of consistency is superb and there is definitely a future full international there that will play at a higher level than the SPL within the next few years.

Its what Hibs fans do.

Try and destroy the confidence of young players so they perform poorer so they can be bood off the park and in turn slagged off on here.

I wonder if the youngsters would improve quicker if they received encouragement from the fans instead of being abused at every turn. Its ironic how other people outwith Hibs praise our youngsters, people with good knowledge of the game but our resident know alls are more than happy to put them into Dusty Bin.

Dinkydoo
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I have no idea why a team of Fulham's quality would be interested in him.......

According to some on here he has been going backwards for some time. :devil:

Beefster
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Its what Hibs fans do.

Try and destroy the confidence of young players so they perform poorer so they can be bood off the park and in turn slagged off on here.

I wonder if the youngsters would improve quicker if they received encouragement from the fans instead of being abused at every turn. Its ironic how other people outwith Hibs praise our youngsters, people with good knowledge of the game but our resident know alls are more than happy to put them into Dusty Bin.

With respect, that's nonsense.

Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Murphy and many more have been feted on here, irrespective of their age.

Hanlon has been a vital member of one of the worst defences in the SPL over the past couple of seasons. That's why some folk, who watch him every single week, don't rate him.

truehibernian
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Its what Hibs fans do.

I've often been a critic of young Hanlon scoopy, however at games am quick to encourage, despite those around me booing. I don't see the point in abusing players from the stands. Counter productive, but fans are fickle. Is Paul a potential EPL player though - I have to say no. He is not a bad player, a superb pro on and off the park I believe, and there is no doubting his commitment. But for me, in games (and he may suffer the same problem young DW has), I don't think even he knows what his best position is. In his juvenile days he was a midfielder. In his young pro days he has started off as a left back, been benched, then introduced as a left centre back, been benched, then reintroduced as a left back again. Some would say a versatile player agreed, but in my opinion it is because he has not learned to play either role fully that there becomes a dilemna. I am quite old school in my approach to football. I like my versatile players being up the top end of the pitch....my wingers, midfielders and supporting strikers. Defensively, I like my full back having played full back for years, my centre halves being no nonsense and knowing exactly what to do. I never liked seeing my centre half pushed out to right back........you just knew the opposition would try and exploit it. It's almost like a different world out there (as Palsson has proved :devil:).

I don't think his progress as a centre back was helped by the lack of experience around him, and the lack of a quality player next to him. Perhaps a Weir or a Willie Miller (Aberdeen) type could have really helped Hanlon. Being talked through games, despite what fans are doing in the stands, has major benefits to a young players game. I don't think he had that.

At left back, again only my opinion, he often gets exposed by pace. I think this is more to do with his positional sense, as when I watch him at full back (and I am quite dull about these things), he often gets sucked in towards his centre halves. The space created is often exploited. When a wide player picks up, he has yards to run into, and maybe due to confidence, Paul allows himself to stand off and not commit to a tackle. I know after speaking with a couple of Hearts coaches, they agreed and saw this as a weakness in his game.

It's one of these quandries, and you rightly point out that we are very quick to dismiss and berate. Same applies to young DW. I think he has lots of talent, however he has been round the houses positionally in the side. In my very early juvenile days I was really lucky to have Alex Young Snr as a coach.....he always asked where you felt your best position was and allowed you to learn that position. Yes, if it was clear you weren't a defender, then of course, he would advice what he thought best. But you learned the position and in turn, he taught you how best to play it. I was a midfielder, so only ever rotated along the midfield (or second striker). It took me near a full season to learn the offside trap rom certain set pieces we were taught :greengrin God forbid I spent years in midfield to then be told to play at full back or centre half years later.....it's a different art. I think Hanlon has suffered by being played not in his best (or preferred position) over the last three seasons. Same could apply to Callum Booth..........I see him as a superb prospect at left midfield myself. But he is a real talent that lad.

I wish young Hanlon all the very best in his whole career, his work and temperament deserve success. I just don't think he is good enough for the EPL.

What annoyed me this pre-season was Hibs fans being unbelievably harsh towards young Scott Taggart and Scott Smith. In fact, it wasn't until the LC 5-0 game that some seated around me started to give young Smith a wee bit credit.......I couldn't believe some seated around me were judging a lad (negatively) that had literally played minutes in a Hibs strip. (and Smith is one I think will be a great wee player for us too).

Hibs have got cracking kids coming through and agree 100% we should get behind them more than anyone. My job means I sometimes brush shoulders with youth coaches at the SFA, Hibs and Hearts......and they all say that our youths coming through are great prospects. One singled out young Alex Harris pre-season to me, and I see he is starting to make a wee name for himself in the 19's. Handling and Co are the future. If more fans saw these lads playing, then perhaps (though I doubt it) folks attitude generally towards Hibs and the young players, would improve. But I have always been an optimist when Hibs are concerned :greengrin

steakbake
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Hibs have some good youngsters coming through.

Hamish
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Its what Hibs fans do.

Absolutely spot on. :not worth

Hamish
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O'Connor, Murphy and many more have been feted on here, irrespective of their age.

Hanlon has been a vital member of one of the worst defences in the SPL over the past couple of seasons. That's why some folk, who watch him every single week, don't rate him.

Whilst appreciating that you see him every week which I don't, I have been at games where the abuse Paul (and other young players) have had to take has been a disgrace. I understand from ST holders that his performances have been poor in the main over the past few months, but the lad is still young, still requires a lot of gym work, (which I understand he is doing) and will improve.

Whatever we think of the standard of Scottish football, you don't get made the captain of the 21's without having something about you that coaches/managers can see, which he is perhaps not displaying currently in a poor Hibs side.

happiehibbie
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Take the the Money and let him go he is not hard enough for me in fact i cant even remember seeing him get booked now a centre half not getting booked is strange but thanks for your effort Paul PS can you take calderwood with you please

Andy74
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Its what Hibs fans do.

That's not really true.

We are, on the whole very positive about our own young players to the point that they seem to automatically be lined up as the next big thing to got to the EPL or Old Firm before thay have played a handful of games.

They also get far more patience shown to them than other players who have arrived at the club.

Let's not forget we've been pretty poor recently and so no-one is exempt from criticism, they are all first team players, but contrast how Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon etc get leeway after sometimes long periods of bad performance against the likes of De Graaf, Hart and the like who really played very few games between them before getting proper abuse.

IWasThere2016
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Good player - always thought he was better than Bamba. Hope he does get a decent move.

LancashireHibby
01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Good player - always thought he was better than Bamba. Hope he does get a decent move.

And we all know that Bamba had no positioning, couldn't tackle and was terrible in the air :wink:

stubru59
01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Here's a boy whose been playing regular first team football for the last couple of seasons. So, no need to wrap him up in cotton wool. He's either got it or he hasn't.

As things stand, I think he'd struggle in the EPL. More to the point, there are times he struggle's in the SPL. Not imposing enough, prone to poor positional sense, and slow to react to the changing pace of a game.

Fulham are welcome to come along and help speed up/enhance his development. I'd be happy to take £250,000.

LancashireHibby
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Fulham are welcome to come along and help speed up/enhance his development. I'd be happy to take £250,000.

They're loaded, we could get £1m without them batting an eyelid (and I'd agree that he isn't worth anything close to that).

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
He's been poor for a while after a decent start to his career. He was one we all had big hopes for, and hopefully he can come good again, but i'm with andy on centre halfs, give me a couple of good journeymen, Rob Jones types, and let any young defender break through in his own time, rather than have them thrown in when not quite ready.

Bostonhibby
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
£4 million plus 10% of the next sale and you have a deal Fulham, anything less and you can fu** off

:thumbsup: Double decker stands all round.

down-the-slope
01-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Scotland U21 Captain.....must be mince :rolleyes:

Jones28
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Exactly...stagnating.

Jones28
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Maybe its exactly because of what you said about not having the right players around you? They can maybe see that a player has potential that could be unlocked if playing with and against better players.

IMO Scott Brown could have been as good as Darren Fletcher had he gone down south instead of playing a league he is already familiar with.

scoopyboy
01-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the respect bit Beefster, I agree most of it nonsense but I was trying to get a point across.

Hibs fans seem to be getting more fickle than they used to be regarding young players. Years ago senior players would get abuse but young laddies would get the benefit of the doubt and not slaughtered.

Where I sit in the West the amount of abuse that is directed towards Hanlon and Wotherspoon in particular is unbelievable and IMO it affects them.

They then go on to play for the under 21s and are outstanding, drawing praise from Billy Stark and other wise owls. On different occasions Stacky and Deek said they reckoned Paul would go on to represent Scotland and cut it in England. I tend to respect two players opinions in preference to fans.

I respect any Hibs fan who watches the team week in, week out but that doesn't mean their opinions are 100% correct. You only have to come on here on a Saturday night and you will find fans completely at odds with each other yet they go to every game. I tend to find most fans judge players over a short period of time and don't always see the potential that may be there and the player that they could turn into.

scoopyboy
01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Here's a boy whose been playing regular first team football for the last couple of seasons. So, no need to wrap him up in cotton wool. He's either got it or he hasn't.

As things stand, I think he'd struggle in the EPL. More to the point, there are times he struggle's in the SPL. Not imposing enough, prone to poor positional sense, and slow to react to the changing pace of a game.

No argument there, but he might be good enough in two or three years time, if he was you might get a helluva lot more than £250,000.

IWasThere2016
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the respect bit Beefster, I agree most of it nonsense but I was trying to get a point across.

Hibs fans seem to be getting more fickle than they used to be regarding young players. Years ago senior players would get abuse but young laddies would get the benefit of the doubt and not slaughtered.

Where I sit in the West the amount of abuse that is directed towards Hanlon and Wotherspoon in particular is unbelievable and IMO it affects them.

They then go on to play for the under 21s and are outstanding, drawing praise from Billy Stark and other wise owls. On different occasions Stacky and Deek said they reckoned Paul would go on to represent Scotland and cut it in England. I tend to respect two players opinions in preference to fans.

I respect any Hibs fan who watches the team week in, week out but that doesn't mean their opinions are 100% correct. You only have to come on here on a Saturday night and you will find fans completely at odds with each other yet they go to every game. I tend to find most fans judge players over a short period of time and don't always see the potential that may be there and the player that they could turn into.

I think its more an ER thing - than an away from home thing

scoopyboy
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I think its more an ER thing - than an away from home thing

agreed, probably why weve taken more points away from home than at ER.

BEEJ
01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Hibs have got cracking kids coming through and agree 100% we should get behind them more than anyone.
:agree:

That's not really true.

We are, on the whole very positive about our own young players
Which is as it should be. :agree:

to the point that they seem to automatically be lined up as the next big thing to got to the EPL or Old Firm before thay have played a handful of games.
Message board hyperbole. Nothing more.

They also get far more patience shown to them than other players who have arrived at the club.
Like who, for example? :hmmm:

...contrast how Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon etc get leeway after sometimes long periods of bad performance against the likes of De Graaf, Hart and the like who really played very few games between them before getting proper abuse.
Well, of course! They would be your examples, wouldn't they. :greengrin

Hart may yet drag his creaking carcass from the physiotherapists table and prove to us that there's still a footballer in there somewhere. We can but hope. :aok:

.Sean.
02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Its what Hibs fans do.Try and destroy the confidence of young players so they perform poorer so they can be bood off the park and in turn slagged off on here.I wonder if the youngsters would improve quicker if they received encouragement from the fans instead of being abused at every turn. Its ironic how other people outwith Hibs praise our youngsters, people with good knowledge of the game but our resident know alls are more than happy to put them into Dusty Bin. Tbh J, I know a younger player who occassionally looks at the site and he laughs off the ill-informed pish often found being spouted on here. The master tacticians and the like.

Andy74
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Tbh J, I know a younger player who occassionally looks at the site and he laughs off the ill-informed pish often found being spouted on here. The master tacticians and the like.

That's fine but if the tacticians and the players currently employed by the club were doing their jobs a bit better there might be a few less comments to laugh at.