PDA

View Full Version : Why the silence?

Ozyhibby
31-10-2011, 02:39 PM
With the recent moves within the council to fund a new stadium for Hearts with council tax payers money, I was wondering why the people running Hibs had taken a vow of silence?
For the last ten years we have swallowed the line from Hibs that the right way to go was to pay down debt and invest in infrastructure. Were we wrong? If this development proceeds then Hibs are basically admitting that we should have just spent whatever money we had on players and let the council pick up the pieces.
So why no statement from Hibs voicing their opposition to this proposal?

Jack
31-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Its basically nothing to do with Hibs. If Hibs were to say anything [publicly] it would make them sound like a shower of whinging lassies shooting their mouths off without full access to the facts.

That’s just it, very few people have had access to the facts, including rather importantly a number of folk who will ultimately be involved in making the final decision.

The last ten years have indeed been hard, where Hibs have traded as an honest business and the product has been somewhat restricted. I can sleep with that in mind, I’ve never been the dishonest type.

The_Famous_HFC
31-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Because none of what you claim had happened? All that had taken place is that Hearts have suggested that the council join then in a partnership.

Geo_1875
31-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Because none of what you claim had happened? All that had taken place is that Hearts have suggested that the council join then in a partnership.

So the council didn't fund a consultants report which suggests the way forward is to spend tax payers money to pull hertz out of their self inflicted ****?

ScottB
31-10-2011, 04:02 PM
With the recent moves within the council to fund a new stadium for Hearts with council tax payers money, I was wondering why the people running Hibs had taken a vow of silence?
For the last ten years we have swallowed the line from Hibs that the right way to go was to pay down debt and invest in infrastructure. Were we wrong? If this development proceeds then Hibs are basically admitting that we should have just spent whatever money we had on players and let the council pick up the pieces.

Hibs made the much better dig when asked for comment by pointing out that we had done all this ourself with no public cash.

A far better way than coming out to whinge about a plan that is probably at best the fevered dreams of a few Yam councillors.

Ozyhibby
31-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Should we wait until the stadium is under construction?

greenginger
31-10-2011, 04:44 PM
My Golf Club has a few decisions to make with regard to future development. Should we enlarge the changing rooms and encourage a larger membership, drop the joining fee and raise annual subscription etc etc.

We are not sure of the best way forward, does anyone think Our Council will share the cost of a report with us ? :wink:

EuanH78
31-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Not sure Hibs are doing anything, but I am pretty sure that IF they are doing something, it will be getting done quietly at the moment.

Albion Hibs
31-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I would not want hibs to come out and publically get involved. I would hope like always we would do business properly and behind the scenes, the thought of sending the day reading through trading blows between the clubs would be cringeworthy.

I would hope that a long time before Hibs need to do anything there is more than a few council tax payers and football followers that have their say. In addition if it is about communities and clubs, then we will have more than a few covering our own football district that can make some noise.

Any political party that sanctioned working with hearts given the press that surrounds them would be committing policical suicide local at local council and national level.

killie-hibby
31-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Hibs FC should not make any comment or objection until a planning application has been submitted.

Dashing Bob S
31-10-2011, 08:17 PM
It's called class and dignity.

However, if I were STF I would be kicking up f-u-c-k behind the scenes about this, to the extent of withdrawing himself and the club from co-operation on any council-run activities.

It's not good enough to say it was a 'different council'. It doesn't matter what happens when a few chairs get shuffled, the template has been long set for differing treatment between Edinburgh's two clubs.

Us (local owned business, practice sound finances) - shafted over the Lochend Butterfly.

Them (overseas owned business, run by a megalomanic, finances out of Alice in Wonderland) - subsidised with a pointless study, set up only to railroad through a filthy deal which will rip the notes out of every tax payer's pocket for years to come.

The Council can do itself a big favor here and sit down and establish, in a transparent manner, a) what it's relationship with both the city's senior professional football clubs should be, and b) the (even-handed) criteria for assisting those clubs.

These kind of overtly biased shenanigans belong back in the era of Cannon Hannon and Michael Whelahan. Too many of the bloated, self-serving Yam fuds who get elected to the council and appoint their incompetent mates to senior positions, still see Edinburgh's local authority as some sort of personal fiefdom, for a bunch of petty, poker-arsed, semi-jakey, sweetie-wifes to lord it over everyone who has a life.

It's time they were told where to get off.

greenginger
31-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Hibs FC should not make any comment or objection until a planning application has been submitted.

Far too late ! A letter to the Local Authority Ombudsman demanding he gets involved and make sure no Jambo shareholder, Jambo supporters trust member , season ticket holder, or self-confessed supporter gets any where near any decision making is urgently required and should be in the post tomorrow.

grunt
31-10-2011, 09:27 PM
My Golf Club has a few decisions to make with regard to future development. Should we enlarge the changing rooms and encourage a larger membership, drop the joining fee and raise annual subscription etc etc. We are not sure of the best way forward, does anyone think Our Council will share the cost of a report with us ? :wink:I don't know about the Council providing funding, but I could probably find you a consultant who would do you a report for £30k! :wink:

bingo70
31-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm normally all for a dignified silence, however on the day the heid honcho at the council admitted there was and still is bias in favour if hearts we've got to stand up for ourselves and get them answering awkward questions!

The club blab on about being in it together but right now it seems the fans are spending our own time putting a lot if pressure on the council while if it was up to the club hearts could be moving into a new stadium tomorrow.

It's the club that's got all the power and resources to stop this happening but they're just letting us get on with it.

Baader
31-10-2011, 09:33 PM
The club are right not to be going shooting their mouth off as yet. I would hope they are talking to some lawyers behind the scenes though. And I hope they are some hardnosed, horrible ****ers as well!

I wouldn't imagine STF to be the type that would take kindly to being swindled out of a previous possible deal. Would love to see the ball rolling to clear out the shower of crooks that besmirch our city.

Spike Mandela
31-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Imagine this happening in Glasgow City Council.

Yeah, thought not.

matty_f
31-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Hibs would be well within their rights to make a point of objecting to it.

In the city, there are two teams - or businesses - competing against each other. Giving one of those businesses a footy-up with their finances and stadium while the other receives absolutely nothing would be grossly unfair and would surely be very difficult to justify.

basehibby
01-11-2011, 02:54 AM

:agree: Good point - the proposal to effecively use OUR (council tax payers') money to help hearts out of their (sheight) hole flies in the face of any notion of even handedness from the council towards Edinburgh's football clubs, not to mention any sense of responsibility with our money.

It is effectively the same as handing the Yams millions of quid on a plate - presumably so as mad vlad can simply continue using it to outbid Hibs on just about any player we're rumoured to have an interest in - while at the same time ignoring his creditors and generally acting like an arrogant ****.

The Yams are already setting records for financial irregularity in the way their business is run - why invest good edinburgh people's money in a joke company funded via shady equity deals which effectively leave the whole joke of a club hanging on a precipice at the whim of an egotistical maverick with little connection to this country or this city?

Of course this is the same mob who have presided over the trams debacle so nothing should surprise me :rolleyes:

greenginger
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I've been reading Labour group finance spokesman and HOMFC Supporters Trust member's piece about the Commie Pool in last nights news.

He's complaining about an extra £ 165,000 added to the £ 37.1 million budget for etra parking at the pool.

" This adds just another little bit to that pile of debt the Council has accrued "

What about the £15,000 for a Report ?

Jones28
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Loaday pish IMO

If ground-sharing was really the way to go why would other clubs not do the same? Celtic and Rangers, Dundee and Dundee Utd (who's stadiums are literally yards away from each other) Liverpool and Everton, City and United, any of the 5 London clubs in the EPL and Championship.

Add that to the fact that when Hibs were in dire straights the council didn't give a toss, they have a totally different relationship with Hearts.

If modern football no longer cares that a club has spent millions to own its own stadium, training centre etc then the modern game is misguided and getting worse.