PDA

View Full Version : November - This is surely his last chance?

3pm
31-10-2011, 01:09 PM
It's a big month coming up for Colin 'The Cat' Caldwerwood. He must have used up a few of his nine lives...

- The Pars @ home
- Killie @ home
- St Johnstone @ Perth

This is surely Calderwood's (final?) opportunity to get points on the board?

Should we be getting 9 points? What happens if he loses 2 or 3 games?

Well done on the point on Saturday Colin but this is where you'll really earn your cash I think.

Who knows!

:confused:

basehibby
31-10-2011, 02:04 PM
If he loses 2 of these three games then there' no dount in my mind he should be sacked.

We should be pretty much expecting to win both home matches anyway and would surely hope to take something from the match vs St Js. So - anything less than 7 points from November will be somewhat dissappointing IMO - anything less than 6 will surely be an opportunity missed to put points on the board and, given the track record thus far, would arguably be a sacking offence.

LancashireHibby
31-10-2011, 02:08 PM
6/7 points from the 9 available or out of the door I reckon. And yes I'm aware that that is quite an ambitious target.

frazeHFC
31-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I think we should, and will, win our 2 home games. :thumbsup:

silverhibee
31-10-2011, 02:18 PM
If he loses 2 of these three games then there' no dount in my mind he should be sacked.We should be pretty much expecting to win both home matches anyway and would surely hope to take something from the match vs St Js. So - anything less than 7 points from November will be somewhat dissappointing IMO - anything less than 6 will surely be an opportunity missed to put points on the board and, given the track record thus far, would arguably be a sacking offence.

What happens if wee draw the three games. :greengrin

How he is still here is ****ing unbelievable.

Northernhibee
31-10-2011, 02:19 PM
7Pts minimum.

RIP
31-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Has anybody actually clarified with Scott Lindsay whether Colin Calderwood's job is under threat?

For all we know Hibs could have set a 2 or 3-year target e.g. 10th, 7th, 4th. There could be other short-term performance measures as well

Anyone who thinks that daily threads on internet messageboards are putting pressure on this Hibs manager are living in cloud cuckoo land

The Sea-gull
31-10-2011, 02:26 PM
All things considered, 6 points would be reasonable.

Agree that, if all is well then 7 points should be the minimum target from these three games but given we have been poor and St Johnstone have been decent, I don't think a defeat there would be the end of the world as long as it comes off the back of wins in the home games.

Anything less than a win against the Pars at home to kick things off is unforgivable. Any less than 4 points from these three games and he should be sacked there and then.

Big month November we have Motherwell away, Rangers at home and Aberdeen away as the next three after that.

Hainan Hibs
31-10-2011, 02:28 PM
2 defeats and a draw, with the draw a sign of "progress" keeping him in the job for another month.

LancashireHibby
31-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Anyone who thinks that daily threads on internet messageboards are putting pressure on this Hibs manager are living in cloud cuckoo land

The press follow the threads on here....once it becomes paper talk, then it becomes pressure. And it's fair to say that the largely negative matchday atmospheres will be pretty indicative of the current groundswell.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-10-2011, 02:37 PM
What I would expect is that we beat Dunfermline with something to spare, get a draw with Killie and lose by the odd goal away in Perth. That would be the minimum requirement.

HFC 0-7
31-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Has anybody actually clarified with Scott Lindsay whether Colin Calderwood's job is under threat?

For all we know Hibs could have set a 2 or 3-year target e.g. 10th, 7th, 4th. There could be other short-term performance measures as well

I contact Fyfe Hyland a few weeks ago and I asked him what the targets were this season and going forward. He maintained that the targets are still the same, challenging for europe and latter stages / challenging for cups.

PISTOL1875
31-10-2011, 02:57 PM
It's a big month coming up for Colin 'The Cat' Caldwerwood. He must have used up a few of his nine lives...

- The Pars @ home
- Killie @ home
- St Johnstone @ Perth

Well done on the point on Saturday Colin but this is where you'll really earn your cash I think.

Who knows!

The Pars are shipping on average 3 goals a game so they will probably park the bus.. However , I do think we should have enough to get a win..

Killie play good fancy football but if we can close enough to them and stop them playing , then I think we can get a result.. I am going for a score draw..

Trips to Perth are often quite tricky and with them recently losing there manager , I think we could probably get a point up there..

so 5 points out of 8.. That enough to keep him in a job ???

allmodcons
31-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll say again, CC should be given until the end of the season but I'm sure anything less than 7 points will give many on these boards another stick with which to beat CC.

With regard to the next 3 games, I'd like to think we could win all 3 but, realistically, 5 points wouldn't be bad (i.e - win, draw, draw).

I'd be very disappointed if we don't beat a poor Dunfermline side, but since when did we have a divine right to beat Kilmarnock at ER or win in Perth?

Given the scenario of win, draw, draw in the next 3 games, would it not be strange to call for a sacking on the back of 5 straight league games without a defeat?

PISTOL1875
31-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'll say again, CC should be given until the end of the season but I'm sure anything less than 7 points will give many on these boards another stick with which to beat CC.

With regard to the next 3 games, I'd like to think we could win all 3 but, realistically, 5 points wouldn't be bad (i.e - win, draw, draw).

I'd be very disappointed if we don't beat a poor Dunfermline side, but since when did we have a divine right to beat Kilmarnock at ER or win in Perth?

Given the scenario of win, draw, draw in the next 3 games, would it not be strange to call for a sacking on the back of 5 straight league games without a defeat?

I agree.. CC should be given until the end of the season and another transfer window at least....

greenlex
31-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Since the start of the season I have said he should be given the whole season unless we were adrift at the bottom at the window.
After te Motherwell game I re evaluated my thinking and gave him a minimum target of 8 points from the next 5 league games. They were/are no easy games. StMirren away Celtic away Dunfermline Home Kille Home and Saintees away. He has produced 4 already where I thought we might only have 1 at a push. If he cant get another 4 from the remaining fixtures he should go.

Dashing Bob S
31-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I agree.. CC should be given until the end of the season and another transfer window at least....

If he carries on this path, it's pretty scary to think about what sort of shape the club will be in by the end of the season. Possibly relegated, almost certainly playing before 5,000 crowds, looking at another massive operating loss, and with a large proportion of his 'signings' out of contract, back in another year of 'transition' and asking for more time.

If we're just keeping an incompetent manager in office, irrespective of results, there was absolutely no point in sacking Hughes.

matty_f
31-10-2011, 03:58 PM
If he carries on this path, it's pretty scary to think about what sort of shape the club will be in by the end of the season. Possibly relegated, almost certainly playing before 5,000 crowds, looking at another massive operating loss, and with a large proportion of his 'signings' out of contract, back in another year of 'transition' and asking for more time.

If we're just keeping an incompetent manager in office, irrespective of results, there was absolutely no point in sacking Hughes.

I don't think that's fair, to be honest. We've had some good performances under CC this season, and I acknowledge and accept that there have been some shockers in there as well. However, we're not in relegation form. 3 defeats from the last nine games (since the close of the transfer window) and the team showing more frequently that it can produce decent performances.

We're still prone to some dross - 2nd half against Celtc last week, first half against Motherwell a few weeks ago, but I do think that the players are now showing more often that they can produce good performances.

I was interested to note Arsene Wenger stating that the players he brought in at the end of the window are only now getting used to how Arsenal play and that's why their results are turning around. Calderwood is working with less able and gifted players than Wenger and is now getting the players used to what he's wanting from them.

Agogo, Osbourne, O'Hanlon, and Griffiths have all started to look better over the last few games, IMHO. There are obviously still question marks around the team - the defence still looks too fragile, and the midfield goes from the sublime (ok, maybe stretching it a bit) to the ridiculous at times, but I think as a team we are definitely looking more organised, playing with more purpose, and sticking to a clear system more frequently.

I think that (and I can't believe I'm saying this) CC probably is capable of taking the team on from here in a way that's positive for us all. I certainly don't think that he'll get us relegated and I think we'll be well clear of that worry before too long if we continue to make incremental improvements on the park.

Of course, now I've said that I completely reserve the right to be as fickle as a football fan should be, and be calling for his head should we not beat Dunfermline on Saturday! :greengrin:

allmodcons
31-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Who's to say this won't happen if CC's sacked? IMO constant change is why we are where we are now!

iwasthere1972
31-10-2011, 04:42 PM
One game at a time. Let's dispose of Dunfermline first.

muzzhfc
31-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Who's to say this won't happen if CC's sacked? IMO constant change is why we are where we are now!

i agree. chopping and changing just creats uncertainty. i do think that we should evaluate at the end of the season. i was a supporter of cc and i am begining to wonder, but, if we change how long will it take until we/the board/players hound out the next man

Sir David Gray
31-10-2011, 04:54 PM
He should have been gone long ago but I don't believe that he's under the slightest bit of pressure of being sacked any time soon and I don't think our results during November will have much bearing on whether or not he's still in charge going into December.

Albion Hibs
31-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't think that's fair, to be honest. We've had some good performances under CC this season, and I acknowledge and accept that there have been some shockers in there as well. However, we're not in relegation form. 3 defeats from the last nine games (since the close of the transfer window) and the team showing more frequently that it can produce decent performances.

We're still prone to some dross - 2nd half against Celtc last week, first half against Motherwell a few weeks ago, but I do think that the players are now showing more often that they can produce good performances.

I was interested to note Arsene Wenger stating that the players he brought in at the end of the window are only now getting used to how Arsenal play and that's why their results are turning around. Calderwood is working with less able and gifted players than Wenger and is now getting the players used to what he's wanting from them.

Agogo, Osbourne, O'Hanlon, and Griffiths have all started to look better over the last few games, IMHO. There are obviously still question marks around the team - the defence still looks too fragile, and the midfield goes from the sublime (ok, maybe stretching it a bit) to the ridiculous at times, but I think as a team we are definitely looking more organised, playing with more purpose, and sticking to a clear system more frequently.

I think that (and I can't believe I'm saying this) CC probably is capable of taking the team on from here in a way that's positive for us all. I certainly don't think that he'll get us relegated and I think we'll be well clear of that worry before too long if we continue to make incremental improvements on the park.

Of course, now I've said that I completely reserve the right to be as fickle as a football fan should be, and be calling for his head should we not beat Dunfermline on Saturday! :greengrin:

Bold I agree with completely and I would add Towell to that.

The rest i also agree with, I think at times we need to remember that when we play with 3 strikers week in and week out, in addition to that a couple of wingers / attacking midfielders, I think on that basis it is not surprising we look a bit weaker when defending, as most of our issues come from defending as a team and not from the defence.

If we can get a team / squad that can consistantly show the ability we did in the 1st half of the cup and the 90+ mins on saturday then I am hopeful we can get the balance of being stronger when defending at the same times as sticking a few in the back of the net.

Tactically CC has been very good in the last few games IMO. The players need to carry out their instructions, stick in the extra work and focus from the first minute to the last, on the basis we can do that I think 5/6 points is certainly achievable.

I would hope to achieve between 5/6 points in the next 3 games. I would be happy with that, and anything more very happy with.

killie-hibby
31-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Since September 17th Hibs team shape,form and tactics have improved with each fixture with the exception of the first half against Motherwell and the second half last Wednesday. "If he carries on this path"we will finish in the top four.Currently he is not sackable. Should you wish someone to be sacked
have a close look at our first team coach.

Dashing Bob S
31-10-2011, 07:29 PM

His signing policy has already ensured that constant change is programmed into the equation anyway.

matty_f
31-10-2011, 09:17 PM
His signing policy has already ensured that constant change is programmed into the equation anyway.

Not necessarily. There are players at the club who have been given >1 year deals, and those that are on 1 year deals and have proven themselves will be offered new terms and contracts prior to their own contracts expiring IMHO. I'd be hugely surprised if everyone that's on a year long deal leaves the club in the summer.

R'Albin
31-10-2011, 09:31 PM
He should have been gone long ago but I don't believe that he's under the slightest bit of pressure of being sacked any time soon and I don't think our results during November will have much bearing on whether or not he's still in charge going into December.

So if we get beaten in every game this month, that will have no effect on whether CC remains our manager or not? Rubbish.

I have to admit that before the St Mirren game I was wanting him out, but there has definately been some encouraging signs in the last few games. We outplayed Celtic for a game and a half, and his record since the end of the transfer window hasn't been too bad really.

Although if we can't beat Dunfermiline at home (the worst team in the league probably) then he has to go.

smurf
31-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Many times under CC I've convinced myself that that's us turned the corner.

Maybe this time we finally have? Dunfermline are a poor side and a convincing home win could really push things on...

I'm not at all convinced by CC but desparately want our club to succeed so therefore want CC to succeed.

IberianHibernian
31-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Reading this thread it seems like people think that results are only thing that will decide how long CC will be our manager . Obviously results will be important ( good results could increase chances of departure to an English club and more bad results leaving without having any immediate offer ) but there are other factors too . Is CC just not one of these managers who just doesn`t fit at the Holy Ground - no affinity to our club ( not saying our managers have to be ex - players but don`t share view that ex - players shouldn`t be employed either ) , no enthusiasm during matches or interviews ( again not saying a good manager has to shout and jump about but it may affect supporters impression of manager ) and style of football ( more industrial than artistic ) , etc...? With Williamson , it was also the same - almost nobody was happy when he arrived and ( almost ) everyone was glad when he left .

IWasThere2016
31-10-2011, 09:59 PM

- The Pars @ home
- Killie @ home
- St Johnstone @ Perth

Who knows!

I'm with 72 - one game at a time and I see this week as a must win though as we have to start climbimg the table, and looking to catch the likes of both Saints and Killie.

That said both Saints and Killie have Der Hun before we play them so those games v them will hopefully be 6-pointers and have us in the top 6.

matty_f
31-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Reading this thread it seems like people think that results are only thing that will decide how long CC will be our manager . Obviously results will be important ( good results could increase chances of departure to an English club and more bad results leaving without having any immediate offer ) but there are other factors too . Is CC just not one of these managers who just doesn`t fit at the Holy Ground - no affinity to our club ( not saying our managers have to be ex - players but don`t share view that ex - players shouldn`t be employed either ) , no enthusiasm during matches or interviews ( again not saying a good manager has to shout and jump about but it may affect supporters impression of manager ) and style of football ( more industrial than artistic ) , etc...? With Williamson , it was also the same - almost nobody was happy when he arrived and ( almost ) everyone was glad when he left .

To be fair, Williamson did a decent job with what he had at his disposal, in hindsight I think he that he deserves a bit of credit, even though it was brutal to watch at the time.

With Calderwood, I think that there is a bigger job going on in the background and although he has to continue to improve the performances and results now, I think the Board have entrusted him with what could probably be called rebuilding the club. The Board have clearly made a big investment in Calderwood, not just financially, but in holding on to him through the summer and backing him publicly in the face of some pretty fierce and constant criticism from us supporters. They're also backing him despite seeing crowds drop and performances stutter, and I think this is because they've made a decision to let CC see out his plans at the club (which I do think he has, even taking into account the bags of sweeties etc.)

That's just my take on it. Time will tell if the Board are making the right decision with it all. I just hope that they are.

Sir David Gray
31-10-2011, 10:30 PM

So if we get beaten in every game this month, that will have no effect on whether CC remains our manager or not? Rubbish.

I have to admit that before the St Mirren game I was wanting him out, but there has definately been some encouraging signs in the last few games. We outplayed Celtic for a game and a half, and his record since the end of the transfer window hasn't been too bad really.

Although if we can't beat Dunfermiline at home (the worst team in the league probably) then he has to go.

I don't think that losing our next three matches will necessarily see him sacked by December 1st.

If we get hammered in those matches then that might be different but I don't think that simply losing will see him gone. I think we'll have to be pretty close to relegation before the board will sack Calderwood after they made such a public attempt to keep him in the summer.

I agree that there has been an improvement in performance levels recently, getting a draw at Parkhead is always an excellent result, we also played pretty well at Ibrox and against Motherwell in the cup game.

However, there have also been some shockers in the period that you mention as well, i.e. since the window shut. The match against Aberdeen goes down as one of the worst I have been at in terms of lack of excitement, skill and quality. The home game against Motherwell was described by Calderwood himself as the worst display he had seen in his year in charge and our second half performance at East End Park was pretty shambolic.

At the end of the day, we're still sitting in 9th place in the table which is absolutely miles away from where we should be, particularly when we're a third of the way through the season.

nortonhibby
31-10-2011, 10:41 PM

- The Pars @ home
- Killie @ home
- St Johnstone @ Perth

Who knows!

Fair points you raise but in al honesty regardless of results is CC The man to take us forward ?

Wotherspiniesta
31-10-2011, 10:53 PM
CC might not be a brilliant manager, but these "last chance for Calderwood" threads are getting a bit tiresome. With Hibs we always get about ten games a season that people describe as a "must win" and generally we don't win them. From what I can see, since Billy Brown has come in, there seems to be a lot more fight in the team. We're still leaking goals terribly, no doubt. The defence is a shambles at times, but in terms of spirit and creating chances, we do look a lot better. Osbourne's calming influence in midfield has made a great impact, Agogo looks a lot sharper now and Griffiths has been a real bright spark.

As far as I'm concerned the team is progressing, so the manager should stay.

JimBHibees
01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
CC might not be a brilliant manager, but these "last chance for Calderwood" threads are getting a bit tiresome. With Hibs we always get about ten games a season that people describe as a "must win" and generally we don't win them. From what I can see, since Billy Brown has come in, there seems to be a lot more fight in the team. We're still leaking goals terribly, no doubt. The defence is a shambles at times, but in terms of spirit and creating chances, we do look a lot better. Osbourne's calming influence in midfield has made a great impact, Agogo looks a lot sharper now and Griffiths has been a real bright spark.

As far as I'm concerned the team is progressing, so the manager should stay.

I would agee with that. He needs to be given a longer period to assess. There are signs of improvement and hopefully he will give the team that played Saturday a run of a few games together. Agree with your comments re the players as Osbourne and Sparky were excellent. Some of Griffiths hold up play and runs were IMO excellent and he will cause all defences problems in that form hopefully starting Saturday.

Phil MaGlass
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
we will get 9 points, of that I have no doubt at all.

Septimus
01-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Assuming that the Board go for stability and retain the services of Calderwood over the next transfer window will he be looking to bring fresh blood in or is the present slowly improving group what he is happy with? There seems to be little advice being offered on players who should be replaced or offered new contracts.

Does Calderwood really see managing Hibs as a long term prospect? I think not or he would have moved his family to Edinburgh.

sesoim
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
:

All since Billy Brown came. If Brown wasn't here we'd be stranded at the bottom by now.

Billy Brown isn't a footballing genius but he has made a big difference, which just goes to show again that if our chairman was capable of appointing even a half decent manager then Hibs would be in the top 4 or 5 each season like we should be.

As for CC, if we get another offer for him, please take it Petrie.

silverhibee
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
All since Billy Brown came. If Brown wasn't here we'd be stranded at the bottom by now.

Billy Brown isn't a footballing genius but he has made a big difference, which just goes to show again that if our chairman was capable of appointing even a half decent manager then Hibs would be in the top 4 or 5 each season like we should be.

As for CC, if we get another offer for him, please take it Petrie.

No chance of that happening now, wee will have to pay him off when the time come's, hopefully very soon.

sesoim
01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
No chance of that happening now, wee will have to pay him off when the time come's, hopefully very soon.

There might still be people who rate him as an assistant, regardless of his awful record with us. Having said that, a couple of wins would get us into the top six, and there are some naive chairmen out there who would take that as a sign that he has "turned the club around", without being aware that we were actually going down the way under CC and have only improved recently becasue BB has came in and gave the team a big kick up the arse.

matty_f
01-11-2011, 04:06 PM
All since Billy Brown came. If Brown wasn't here we'd be stranded at the bottom by now. Billy Brown isn't a footballing genius but he has made a big difference, which just goes to show again that if our chairman was capable of appointing even a half decent manager then Hibs would be in the top 4 or 5 each season like we should be.As for CC, if we get another offer for him, please take it Petrie. Brown is fortunate that he came to the club at a time where players were starting to come back to fitness and settle into yhe squad. I don't doubt that his arrival has had a positive impact but i suggest that these other factors were just as relevant.

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I've come the conclusion that while he should have gone ages ago, he probably never will, at least not until some teaboy's post in the Engerlish Midderlands becomes available. For better or worse (the latter, I think) we've decided that we're going to keep him come hell or high water, and the results and performances are almost irrelevant unless we're on a crash course for division one. I expect him to be 'saved' by the dire state of Scottish football in the form of Dunfermline and Inverness, and by the fact that board have probably succeeded in lowering our expectations to the extent we now think it unreasonable to compete with the Kilmarnock's, Dundee United's and Kilmarnock's of this world. And what a self-fulfilling prophecy that has become, s our gates are now adjusting accordingly to the level of those clubs.

LancashireHibby
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Surely Kilmarnock have some sort of advantage Bob if we're having to compete with them twice? :wink:

HibsMax
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Many times under CC I've convinced myself that that's us turned the corner.

Maybe this time we finally have? Dunfermline are a poor side and a convincing home win could really push things on...

I'm not at all convinced by CC but desparately want our club to succeed so therefore want CC to succeed.

That's pretty much where I am too, Smurf.

I'm hoping that CC is finding his feet and we're finally moving in the right direction. If we start to play better and string more good results together (as opposed to random good games) then that will improve our league position. Some fans might recognise this and actually start going back to games. Bigger gates coupled with renewed confidence could help fuel our meteoric rise to the top half of the table. While I don't blame those fans for staying away it can't do anything but hurt the confidence of the players when they run out to a partially filled stadium. I think all these things go hand in hand but it's a chicken and egg scenario.

RIP
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
In my earlier post I wasn't implying that Hibs have lowered their horizons - just that they are happy with trotting out the "top six place and good cup run" mantra. Unless we are under threat of relegation they will not sack Calderwood. We need to accept that situation and either put up or shut up

What we need now is to strengthen the loyalty between the board, the football management team and the supporters. There is too much dissent, too many protests, petitions and facebook campaigns. The club's performances on the park will not be improved by these off-field distractions. They will only be improved by supporters who get behind the boys in green and give them 100% backing

Andy74
02-11-2011, 11:14 AM
In my earlier post I wasn't implying that Hibs have lowered their horizons - just that they are happy with trotting out the "top six place and good cup run" mantra. Unless we are under threat of relegation they will not sack Calderwood. We need to accept that situation and either put up or shut up

What we need now is to strengthen the loyalty between the board, the football management team and the supporters. There is too much dissent, too many protests, petitions and facebook campaigns. The club's performances on the park will not be improved by these off-field distractions. They will only be improved by supporters who get behind the boys in green and give them 100% backing

I don't think we need to accept anything.

Shutting down any concerns people have in the name of just getting on with supporting the team regardless is a dangerous thing and you've already seen the 5,000 or so fans that have decided that if the club are happy to take no action to change things then they are going to vote with their feet.

HibsMax
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think we need to accept anything.

Shutting down any concerns people have in the name of just getting on with supporting the team regardless is a dangerous thing and you've already seen the 5,000 or so fans that have decided that if the club are happy to take no action to change things then they are going to vote with their feet.

I'm not sure why people think the club are happy about any of this.

My speculation since I don't have ears inside the boardroom : The board have a plan in place and are executing it. I'm sure that the results so far are below what they were hoping for, just like us. Perhaps the club doesn't believe that the most appropriate action right now is sacking CC? Just because a hibs.net poll suggests that the majority of Hibs fans would like to see the back of CC doesn't mean it's the best move to make.

So what action would you like to see the club take, beyond sacking CC? We can't invest in the team because of transfer windows so there's little we can do on that front. It's really sad that so many fans have turned then backs on Hibs because it doesn't help anyone. It sends a message to the board that fans are not happy but I am pretty sure they know that all too well themselves and I doubt any of them are very happy either. I'm not sure what the board can do to rectify this situation. It's pretty much up to the manager and the players to start performing and then fans will hopefully return.