PDA

View Full Version : Yams We've been sayng it for years!

NeilOrrSquareBa
31-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Deano in the Herald today:

Shiels unleashes volley of criticism about unwelcoming Tynecastle reception
graeme macpherson at tynecastle graeme.macpherson@heraldandtimes.co.uk
Share 31 Oct 2011

NO wonder they say it’s the quiet ones you have to watch. Dean Shiels speaks so softly you almost have to lean in to pick up every word, but when he talks it’s usually worth a listen.

The Kilmarnock attacker appeared in the media room at Tynecastle on Saturday – fresh from scoring the penalty that ultimately decided a rambunctious match – clearly with one or two things on his mind.

Just moments after his father, Kenny, the Kilmarnock manager, had torn into Hearts for their aggressive style, Shiels Jr similarly put on the tackety boots – metaphorically speaking, of course – to give Paulo Sergio’s side another verbal kicking.

Like father, like son. As a former Hibernian player, Shiels was never likely to be given a warm welcome in Gorgie but he has almost become inured to the ferocity of the abuse he receives from the home fans.

“It’s been going on for years,” he shrugged. “You get mother, daughter, the lot abusing you here, but that’s normal.”

Shiels, on loan from Doncaster Rovers, however, saved his fiercest criticism for the Hearts players whose “high negative energy”, as his dad put it, contributed to Ian Black being sent off after 16 minutes for a reckless tackle on Shiels, and four others being booked.

Shiels Sr later revealed he believed Hearts to be the most aggressive team in the league and it was a theme his boy also alighted on. “They’re a physical side, Hearts,” he said. “They get the ball to their full-backs and launch long balls in all day. They try and fight for second balls and have got players who go in hard.

“Rudi Skacel’s screaming and falling over and it’s an intense atmosphere, but we stood up and showed a bit of bottle and mental toughness to get the three points.”

On the early collision with Black, there was relief on Shiels’ part that it did not result in a serious injury.

“It was a bad tackle. I don’t think anyone could argue it was a red card. I rode the tackle but he caught me on the left ankle. You’ve got to be sharper than him to the ball and thankfully I was, otherwise I could have got hurt. If I hadn’t got out of the way it could have been a bad one.”

There was a further incident later in the match that may interest Vincent Lunny, the Scottish Football Association’s new compliance officer, in which Danny Grainger appeared to stamp on Shiels’ back. The incident went unnoticed by the match officials but not by the player involved. “He stamped on me and I said about it to the ref. That’s a red card as well. That’s the coward’s way out. Stamping on someone while he’s on the ground, you can’t get much lower than that.”

Like his dad, Shiels felt that Marius Zaliukas was also fortunate to stay on the pitch for his foul on Paul Heffernan, which earned Kilmarnock their second-half penalty.

“I think it was a difficult game for the ref, there were a lot of decisions – like why at the penalty the guy wasn’t sent off. They’re hard decisions but I was convinced it looked like he was the last man and was denying a scoring chance.”

RickyS
31-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Deano in the Herald today:

Shiels unleashes volley of criticism about unwelcoming Tynecastle reception
graeme macpherson at tynecastle graeme.macpherson@heraldandtimes.co.uk
Share 31 Oct 2011

NO wonder they say it’s the quiet ones you have to watch. Dean Shiels speaks so softly you almost have to lean in to pick up every word, but when he talks it’s usually worth a listen.

The Kilmarnock attacker appeared in the media room at Tynecastle on Saturday – fresh from scoring the penalty that ultimately decided a rambunctious match – clearly with one or two things on his mind.

Just moments after his father, Kenny, the Kilmarnock manager, had torn into Hearts for their aggressive style, Shiels Jr similarly put on the tackety boots – metaphorically speaking, of course – to give Paulo Sergio’s side another verbal kicking.

Like father, like son. As a former Hibernian player, Shiels was never likely to be given a warm welcome in Gorgie but he has almost become inured to the ferocity of the abuse he receives from the home fans.

“It’s been going on for years,” he shrugged. “You get mother, daughter, the lot abusing you here, but that’s normal.”

Shiels, on loan from Doncaster Rovers, however, saved his fiercest criticism for the Hearts players whose “high negative energy”, as his dad put it, contributed to Ian Black being sent off after 16 minutes for a reckless tackle on Shiels, and four others being booked.

Shiels Sr later revealed he believed Hearts to be the most aggressive team in the league and it was a theme his boy also alighted on. “They’re a physical side, Hearts,” he said. “They get the ball to their full-backs and launch long balls in all day. They try and fight for second balls and have got players who go in hard.

“Rudi Skacel’s screaming and falling over and it’s an intense atmosphere, but we stood up and showed a bit of bottle and mental toughness to get the three points.”

On the early collision with Black, there was relief on Shiels’ part that it did not result in a serious injury.

“It was a bad tackle. I don’t think anyone could argue it was a red card. I rode the tackle but he caught me on the left ankle. You’ve got to be sharper than him to the ball and thankfully I was, otherwise I could have got hurt. If I hadn’t got out of the way it could have been a bad one.”

There was a further incident later in the match that may interest Vincent Lunny, the Scottish Football Association’s new compliance officer, in which Danny Grainger appeared to stamp on Shiels’ back. The incident went unnoticed by the match officials but not by the player involved. “He stamped on me and I said about it to the ref. That’s a red card as well. That’s the coward’s way out. Stamping on someone while he’s on the ground, you can’t get much lower than that.”

Like his dad, Shiels felt that Marius Zaliukas was also fortunate to stay on the pitch for his foul on Paul Heffernan, which earned Kilmarnock their second-half penalty.

“I think it was a difficult game for the ref, there were a lot of decisions – like why at the penalty the guy wasn’t sent off. They’re hard decisions but I was convinced it looked like he was the last man and was denying a scoring chance.”

well said Deano!:not worth

come hame lad, you know it makes sense

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I agree with Sheils, although stamping on the back of the opposition is not strictly a yams problem. Remember a certain cup semi Dean. :wink:

Cabbage East
31-10-2011, 12:50 PM

HibbyAndy
31-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I agree with Sheils, although stamping on the back of the opposition is not strictly a yams problem. Remember a certain cup semi Dean. :wink:

Wasn't that Sproule on Mikolaunas?

Hibercelona
31-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Yeah, it was Ivan. But to be fair to him, if I seen Miko lying in a street gutter somewhere, i'd stamp on him too.

Well said Deano. :top marks

Baader
31-10-2011, 02:48 PM
G'an yourself Deano. Showed them the best way to shut them up

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Yes and he's just called him a coward.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2011, 05:10 PM

a horrible horrible club, with horrible horrible inbred freaks supporting it, the dregs of Edinburgh's low-lifes un-educated, all gathering in a tinpot roofless smelly asbestos-ridden piggery

Kaiser1962
31-10-2011, 05:16 PM

a horrible horrible club, with horrible horrible inbred freaks supporting it, the dregs of Edinburgh's low-lifes un-educated, all gathering in a tinpot roofless smelly asbestos-ridden piggery

I'm sure I heard them singing about his eye as well. A disgrace to humanity.

IWasThere2016
31-10-2011, 05:39 PM
It is cowardly and Ivan was punished. The Yam bassa(s) if you include Skacel) wasnae :grr:

Hibby D
31-10-2011, 06:05 PM

What a wonderfully accurate and entertaining statement :aok:

Frazerbob
31-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes and he's just called him a coward.

And that is exactly what Sproule is, as shown again on Wednesday. A coward who, when the chips are down, will look for a way out rather than fight for his team, his fans and his own personal pride.

clerriehibs
31-10-2011, 07:23 PM
And that is exactly what Sproule is, as shown again on Wednesday. A coward who, when the chips are down, will look for a way out rather than fight for his team, his fans and his own personal pride.

I was never Sproule's biggest fan, at least not until AOB turned up (or didn't), but no way do I agree Ivan's a coward. Hot headed, daft, not a clear thinker when the adrenaline's flowing, but not a coward.

Dashing Bob S
31-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Credit where it's due, the daughters have taken more than their fair share of abuse at Tynecastle, through Rix, Wee Airdrie Jambo, Tommo etc, so you can't really be too harsh on them for lashing out.

Frazerbob
31-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I was never Sproule's biggest fan, at least not until AOB turned up (or didn't), but no way do I agree Ivan's a coward. Hot headed, daft, not a clear thinker when the adrenaline's flowing, but not a coward.

The Miko incident at Hampden was stupid, pathetic, unprofessional and most definitely cowardly.

R'Albin
31-10-2011, 07:42 PM
but no way do I agree Ivan's a coward. Hot headed, daft, not a clear thinker when the adrenaline's flowing, but not a coward.

This:agree:

johnrebus
31-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Ivan Sproule a coward?

What a load of pish. Have a word with yourselves.

:bitchy:

_hucks_
31-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Ivan Sproule a coward?What a load of pish. Have a word with yourselves.:bitchy: Stamping is cowardly. Doesn't de facto make Ivan a coward but that action was.

lucky
31-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Not Ivan biggest fan but by no stretch of the imagination hes a coward. Very poor post Bob. Up there with the **** the Yams post.

grunt
31-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Stamping is cowardly. Doesn't de facto make Ivan a coward but that action was.Are we talking about Ivan's sending off in the semi? Maybe my mind is playing up, but his offence wasn't "stamping", didn't he just walk over the prone Hearts player? I thought it was done almost as a joke. The game was lost by then? I could be completely wrong.

Phil D. Rolls
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM

:top marks You can't argue with facts. A measured response that pulls no punches, there are so many worse things you could have said.