PDA

View Full Version : Our defence.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Has been poor all season, yesterday imo was the best i have seen our back 4 play in a very long time.
Wotherspoon has played all his best games for the club at right back, i have never understood at all why he's been moved around all over the shop, when he's been very consistant for us at right back.

O'Hanlon and Hanlon have been poor to average all season, and to see them play so well was a huge surprise yesterday. Stephens has had good games in the past, but had some horrors too. Hopefully its a start of a new defence that actually starts to dominate their opponents, and gives us a platform for the rest of the team to build on.

Well done, and well done those in front of them too, as well as defending well, we still gave celtc some problems at the other end too. :top marks

SteveHFC
30-10-2011, 11:02 PM
We still need another CB.

col02
31-10-2011, 05:14 AM
We still need another CB.

Or we could be tolerant of a defence that has three players under 21 in it knowing that short term they might make mistakes here and there but longer term they will serve the club better than a journeyman pro type who might do well for a season! I think at times people forget how many young guys we have playing for us at the moment. Guys like Osbourne, Palson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Towell, Griffiths, Booth and Stevenson all feature in the squad when fit so maybe about time we gave them a better atmosphere to gain their experience in!

greenlex
31-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Has been poor all season, yesterday imo was the best i have seen our back 4 play in a very long time.Wotherspoon has played all his best games for the club at right back, i have never understood at all why he's been moved around all over the shop, when he's been very consistant for us at right back.O'Hanlon and Hanlon have been poor to average all season, and to see them play so well was a huge surprise yesterday. Stephens has had good games in the past, but had some horrors too. Hopefully its a start of a new defence that actually starts to dominate their opponents, and gives us a platform for the rest of the team to build on. Well done, and well done those in front of them too, as well as defending well, we still gave celtc some problems at the other end too. :top marks Thats all very well but was it an unlucky draw or a lucky one?

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Thats all very well but was it an unlucky draw or a lucky one?

I thought it was a well deserved draw, nothing lucky about it at all.

The smellies never really had much pressure, and apart from them hitting the woodwork, Stack had very little to do. He did not have to make one save of any note, and i thought we were quite comfortable, and might have even nicked it once or twice.

Geo_1875
31-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Thats all very well but was it an unlucky draw or a lucky one?

I think it was a comfortable draw. They couldn't have had any complaints if wekd won that game.

Prawn Sandwich
31-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Has been poor all season, yesterday imo was the best i have seen our back 4 play in a very long time.
Wotherspoon has played all his best games for the club at right back, i have never understood at all why he's been moved around all over the shop, when he's been very consistant for us at right back.

O'Hanlon and Hanlon have been poor to average all season, and to see them play so well was a huge surprise yesterday. Stephens has had good games in the past, but had some horrors too. Hopefully its a start of a new defence that actually starts to dominate their opponents, and gives us a platform for the rest of the team to build on.

Well done, and well done those in front of them too, as well as defending well, we still gave celtc some problems at the other end too. :top marks

I'm not a big fan of zonal marking. Were Hibs still persisting with the zonal marking on Saturday?

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not a big fan of zonal marking. Were Hibs still persisting with the zonal marking on Saturday?

To be honest i did not notice if we were or not? You do notice it when defending corners and free kicks, but we conceded so few, i did not look out of it.

JimBHibees
31-10-2011, 10:26 AM
To be honest i did not notice if we were or not? You do notice it when defending corners and free kicks, but we conceded so few, i did not look out of it.

Celtc had no corners on Saturday, incredible stat at Parkhead in a game they probably thought was a must win.

The Sea-gull
31-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Or we could be tolerant of a defence that has three players under 21 in it knowing that short term they might make mistakes here and there but longer term they will serve the club better than a journeyman pro type who might do well for a season! I think at times people forget how many young guys we have playing for us at the moment. Guys like Osbourne, Palson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Towell, Griffiths, Booth and Stevenson all feature in the squad when fit so maybe about time we gave them a better atmosphere to gain their experience in!

We are far from the only team in the league who has prodominantly young players so not an excuse that should be churned.

Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Griffiths are all young but have been playing regular first team football for 2 or 3 years now.

You can't really class Stevenson as young as he has been in and around the team for 5 years now. The fact that he hasn't started as many games as someone his age should have is purely down to his ability and consistency.

3pm
31-10-2011, 11:47 AM

O'Hanlon is still suspect. That may have been his best game yet but he didn't have anyone challenging him aerially, certainly not in dangerous areas of the pitch. He can't jump so that helped him. Also thought that Stokes and Hooper didn't move too much so it made it easier for him.

Don't want to be negative but he's got a long way to go in my view.

Was impressed with DW and DS in particular. Thought Hanlon was OK as well but he can still do better as well.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 11:53 AM
O'Hanlon is still suspect. That may have been his best game yet but he didn't have anyone challenging him aerially, certainly not in dangerous areas of the pitch. He can't jump so that helped him. Also thought that Stokes and Hooper didn't move too much so it made it easier for him.

Don't want to be negative but he's got a long way to go in my view.

Was impressed with DW and DS in particular. Thought Hanlon was OK as well but he can still do better as well.

Dont get me wrong, i'm far from being convinced we have anything like a side good enough to be where i think we should be, but credit where its due, and they all did very well on Saturday. I have said it before, we seem to be able to raise our game against the old firm, and we do seem to try that little bit harder against them.

Its the games against those around us where we have to take the game to them that i feel we fail, we leave gaps that we are not so keen or hungry enough to fill when its not against the better teams that worry me.

Saturday was good, we need to do that more.