PDA

View Full Version : Progress

green glory
30-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Wednesday's League Cup shambles aside. Hibs are now unbeaten in the league since the Hearts game on 28th August, with the exception of one (slim) defeat away to the league champions, and another at home to Motherwell, who are of course 2nd in the SPL.

With the solidifying of the defence yesterday, and in other recent league games, things may be looking up. To be fair the four goals let in on Wednesday were with a defence with half of the usual back four missing.

Saturday's game against Dunfermline should be started with yesterday's back four with the exception of replacing Wotherspoon with Towell. Stephens and O'Hanlon together is a very good move I feel.

iwasthere1972
30-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Wednesday's League Cup shambles aside. Hibs are now unbeaten in the league since the Hearts game on 28th August, with the exception of one (slim) defeat away to the league champions, and another at home to Motherwell, who are of course 2nd in the SPL.

With the solidifying of the defence yesterday, and in other recent league games, things may be looking up. To be fair the four goals let in on Wednesday were with a defence with half of the usual back four missing.

Saturday's game against Dunfermline should be started with yesterday's back four with the exception of replacing Wotherspoon with Towell. Stephens and O'Hanlon together is a very good move I feel.

You a politician. In other words we are not unbeaten in the league since the Yams beat us.

itchy07
30-10-2011, 01:12 PM
In fact, we're unbeaten all season apart from the games we've lost which makes us top of the league apart from the teams above us!

iwasthere1972
30-10-2011, 01:14 PM
In fact, we're unbeaten all season apart from the games we've lost which makes us top of the league apart from the teams above us!

Conceded no goals either except the ones against the Yams, Rangers, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Motherwell, Dundee United etc etc.

Full marks to our battling defence. :top marks

matty_f
30-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Conceded no goals either except the ones against the Yams, Rangers, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Motherwell, Dundee United etc etc.

Full marks to our battling defence. :top marks

And to the strikers for continuing that astonishing run of scoring in every game this season, apart from the ones that we haven't scored in.

green glory
30-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Tut-tut so many negatives. I'm merely making the point that since, Griffiths, Agogo and Towell have become available, there has been some progress. As much as I like many others was screaming for CC to hang earlier in the season, we may now have at least the beginnings of a worthwhile squad (mainly as a result of his signings).:greengrin

itchy07
30-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I thought all the posts were positive, apart from the negative ones. Wink wink. But credit to you for the positivity

iwasthere1972
30-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Must give a special mention to all our supporters for hanging in there and making sure that all our home games were sold out apart from the ones were there were 12,000 seats empty.

Take a bow. :not worth :not worth

madabouthibs
30-10-2011, 08:38 PM
How many times have we won the Scottish Cup, not counting the times we haven't? :agree:

smurf
30-10-2011, 09:56 PM

There is progress.

However, the spin on the early part of the above is ridiculous!

steakbake
30-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Progress - certainly Saturday's result wasn't expected, but it was hot on the heels of 45 minutes of being horsed by a very average Celtic team. I'll take the narrow win at St Mirren. That was a week after a very inept display against Motherwell.

If we beat Dunfermline and get at least a point with Killie in the next games, I will agree that some progress would appear to have been made but I'll still not be totally convinced.

Consistency will have me believing that CC can get us out of the mire. However, it is inconsistency which has been a hallmark of his time at Hibs which has got us into it in the first place.

hibsfan7
31-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Has anyone not noticed that if we had drawn every games in the league we would be on 13 points the same as we are now

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Spike Mandela
31-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Ahhhhhhh, the sound of straws being clutched!:rolleyes:

basehibby
31-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Undeniably a good result at Parkhead - but CC will need to put that together with some HOME WINS against Pars and Kille for me to be convinced that we are witnessing positive progress. After the garbage start to the season we've had to endure, 6 points in these games is vital if we want to see Hibs at the right end of the table come next May.

The Sea-gull
31-10-2011, 09:42 AM
We have been consistent under CC - consistently poor with the odd win (sometimes through sheer luck more than anything else).

Only consistent spell was the five wins and a draw he got round about February last season which was a major false dawn.

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 09:46 AM
We have been consistent under CC - consistently poor with the odd win (sometimes through sheer luck more than anything else).

Only consistent spell was the five wins and a draw he got round about February last season which was a major false dawn.

:agree: Fantastic February, Petries blind spot. Saturday was good, we have had these days before though, its the games after we have failed to build on. Two home games now, against teams we should be beating at home. Must win games imo.

JimBHibees
31-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Completely disagree the defence and team should remain injury permitting exactly the same as Saturday, lets give the guys who did a job on Saturday a run of games to prove themselves it may also act as a reminder to guys like Ivan, VP, IM etc they arent irreplaceable.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2011, 10:18 AM
we are unbeaten in all league and cup games since 26th october:agree:

Craig_HFC
31-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Technically, we're unbeaten in the Champions League and the Scottish Cup so far this season.

:greengrin

The Sea-gull
31-10-2011, 10:41 AM
:agree: Fantastic February, Petries blind spot. Saturday was good, we have had these days before though, its the games after we have failed to build on. Two home games now, against teams we should be beating at home. Must win games imo.

Yeah, talking of being selective with stats, this was Petrie at his finest when he cited this as reasoning for keeping CC in the summer instead of taking the 250/300k that was allegedly offered, a decision that I still can't see being anything other than the worst decision he has ever made for Hibs.

One good month out of 12 in charge is just simply not good enough, especially when you review who we got these results against and when the only other reasonable period he has overseen was September of this season when he got unremarkable draws v Aberdeen and Dunfermline followed by an error stewn but spirited draw with Dundee Utd and a decent win against a good St Johnstone team albeit courtesy of a dubious penalty.

I'm not saying sack CC just now but if we look in serious danger at the turn of the year then surely he is gone.

I hope we are not in that situation come then as there is a lot of football to be played and of course would like to see our results improve regardless of who the manager is.

An acceptable starter for building for this would be a MINIMUM of three points from the Pars and Killie games. Lose both of these and he has to go.

PaulSmith
31-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Keep Wotherspoon at RB.

Put Towell into midfield instead of Galbraith and we're getting there.

Stevenson is not a long term solution but deserves to keep his place instead of Palson at present. Similary with Stephens in for Murray.

Just think, if O'Hanlon wasn't that tired after the birth of his son/daughter we might've been looking at a semi final appearance (that along with our no 1 goalie in the sticks)