PDA

View Full Version : Reality Checking

Caroline Hibby
30-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy. The windows mean that he can't complete the cultivation of his own squad until the summer. I'm not saying he will defo get it right but he certainly should be allowed a decent crack at it. Judge him at the end of the season not on the back of record that includes results achieved with the likes of Hart, Nish, Miller, McBride et al. As for the 'rumours' re his removal and other nonsense I'd advise people to ignore as anyone who does know anything usually do the grown up thing and not post it on here. These gems of wisdom only undermine the club and individuals and get some people very excited. Let's get real and get behind our guys. I believe we are making progress. Bringing in BB was a very shrewd peace of business and 4 points from 2 away games v STM and Celtic is not bad. We've had too many managers in recent years so just give him and the club a decent chance.

lobster
30-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy. The windows mean that he can't complete the cultivation of his own squad until the summer. I'm not saying he will defo get it right but he certainly should be allowed a decent crack at it. Judge him at the end of the season not on the back of record that includes results achieved with the likes of Hart, Nish, Miller, McBride et al. As for the 'rumours' re his removal and other nonsense I'd advise people to ignore as anyone who does know anything usually do the grown up thing and not post it on here. These gems of wisdom only undermine the club and individuals and get some people very excited. Let's get real and get behind our guys. I believe we are making progress. Bringing in BB was a very shrewd peace of business and 4 points from 2 away games v STM and Celtic is not bad. We've had too many managers in recent years so just give him and the club a decent chance.

:agree: I've been vehemently against Calderwood since the get-go but have to say that after watching yesterdays performance there is clearly something there. A large part of this is probably the low expectation created over his reign and the fact that i've completely stopped going and hacevnt had to sit through the recent horror shows but I was very impressed with the team spirit yesterday. With a little more spark up front who knows. Osborne was terrific in the centre of the park.
So, in short, I have to agree. Probably BB is making the difference so the partnership needs time.

down-the-slope
30-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Next 4 matches are important as they will either confirm progress (which I think will happen) and give us a cushion over those fighting at the bottom and get us into the fight for Euro spots......or we fail to get 8 + points and will be looking more than awkward for us.

We need stability and the opportunity to see the fruits of work to transform the squad...

Ozzy as an example was mooted as being good and we would see this when fit (I thought from the off that there was a good player in there..he has that relaxed style that some black players / sportsmen have that makes them look as if they are not giving full measure..which i think is incorrect)..I think last few games we are seeing a player that can actually infuence matches and run the middle of the park.

Players such as Griffiths have shown that loan deals can work for us and pace which we have lacked for seasons can make such a difference...I want to see what other deals being worked on for Jan can be done rather than chucking these away to start all over again with another manager....

keep the faith
30-10-2011, 09:44 AM
W

A post actually steeped in reality. Could not agree more. It's not been easy and its sometimes been awful to watch but the scale of the re build is huge and the transfer windows don't help the speed of that job.

I think its interesting that this young team seemed to be more relaxed away from er and the bad vibes which pour from the stands at any set back.

Tricla
30-10-2011, 09:55 AM
W

A post actually steeped in reality. Could not agree more. It's not been easy and its sometimes been awful to watch but the scale of the re build is huge and the transfer windows don't help the speed of that job.

I think its interesting that this young team seemed to be more relaxed away from er and the bad vibes which pour from the stands at any set back.

But definitely not suprising.

MrSmith
30-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Would love to agree but can't unfortunately. I have defended CC too: ridding us of the disease within the player ranks, looking forward to him building his own side, our flash in the pan in Feb; and getting past the relegation issue last season. However, I just simply don't see it! Too many players lack fitness, motivation and direction and simple football basics. CC is a nice guy but not a Hibs manager.

We are a club in crisis from the directors through to the fans... Although there is no quick fix and consistency is the key, we are bumbling along looking as though its OK! Not for me and now thousands of others who have simply given up.

Shame really.

marinello59
30-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I've defended CC since the first dissenters canvassed his removal. My view is that he only started to manage his own team from Aug having taken on the worst squad I've witnessed at ER since Duffy

Worst squad since Duffy? I would agree he inherited a very poor group but not that bad. (Strangely many on here were bashing Yogi because he was faiuling to get results with the best squad in the SPL outside of the Old Firm. :greengrin) I hope he does have the team producing a string of decent results but I am not convinced at all that he has the mindset of a genuine winner. His after match comment yesterday that he wasn't ''greedy enough'' to be dissapointed at not winning worries me.

W

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Captain Trips
30-10-2011, 10:23 AM

I disagree with much of what you say but it is well said. It was not the worst squad I have seen maybe you but not me, it was however up there with the worst. He firstly came in with the team not playing well and with a load of players who had contracts running out. Regardless of wether it was his players or not I saw nothing at all in anything he did with those players to suggest he is right.

We are now into a new season and what we have are a lot of players who have contracts running out and others who seem to be not that good. I do not see any progress we are still not that good apart from the odd game and we are heading for yet again upheaval with our better players at seasons end.

Hibs are in bad place and the signing policy will still have us in that place, I do not share your optomisim as 12mths is enough to change more than he has, we still have lots of bad players and our better ones run out of contract, exact same as last season.

greenlex
30-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I disagree with much of what you say but it is well said. It was not the worst squad I have seen maybe you but not me, it was however up there with the worst. He firstly came in with the team not playing well and with a load of players who had contracts running out. Regardless of wether it was his players or not I saw nothing at all in anything he did with those players to suggest he is right.

We are now into a new season and what we have are a lot of players who have contracts running out and others who seem to be not that good. I do not see any progress we are still not that good apart from the odd game and we are heading for yet again upheaval with our better players at seasons end.

Hibs are in bad place and the signing policy will still have us in that place, I do not share your optomisim as 12mths is enough to change more than he has, we still have lots of bad players and our better ones run out of contract, exact same as last season.
Could you list the lots of bad players for us to agree or disagree with?

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Which players are out of contract at the end of the season?

MrSmith
30-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Which players are out of contract at the end of the season?

Off the top of my head:

Pallson
Agogo
Sodje
Brown
Stack
Stevenson
Hart
Towell
O'Connor
Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??)

Quite a few and very similar to last season.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Off the top of my head:

Pallson- Release
Agogo - keep
Sodje - release
Brown- release
Stack- keep
Stevenson- release
Hart- release
Towell - sign
O'Connor- sign
Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??) - sign if possible

My view

Billy Whizz
30-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Also Murray and Welsh out of contract?

BS44
30-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Would love to agree but can't unfortunately. I have defended CC too: ridding us of the disease within the player ranks, looking forward to him building his own side, our flash in the pan in Feb; and getting past the relegation issue last season. However, I just simply don't see it! Too many players lack fitness, motivation and direction and simple football basics. CC is a nice guy but not a Hibs manager.

We are a club in crisis from the directors through to the fans... Although there is no quick fix and consistency is the key, we are bumbling along looking as though its OK! Not for me and now thousands of others who have simply given up.

Shame really.

Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks
made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.

Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.

matty_f
30-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.Spot on. There is no fitness issue at Hibs, imho.

MrSmith
30-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Who are the players that are lacking fitness? I'm getting a tad frustrated about this fitness issue, it's a complete load of bullocks
made up byHibs fans and recycled every few days on the Hibs fans forums. Think it was Blackpool who pointed out that all the Hibs players will go through various tests regarding fitness, and anyone who isn't up to the fitness levels required will soon be found out by these tests.

Don't know if you were at Parkhead yesterday but in my opinion those players didn't look unfit.

No wasn't at Park Head but all the games I have seen at home games and on TV, the players appear to run out of steam quickly, don't chase as much as they should, some look over weight and for me, maybe not a fitness issue but lack a sense of urgency!

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Shame really.

If you've given up how would you know that they lack fitness? :confused:

MrSmith
30-10-2011, 12:48 PM
If you've given up how would you know that they lack fitness? :confused:

See above!

Andy74
30-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Disagree. He didn't inherent an awful squad. One short on confidence yes, but getting a new manager was meant to sort all that. The players you mention mainly got 4th place and whilst Hart has been poor or injured its hardly a big issue to manage around. He's also has less actual football for Hibs than many of those who are being given time to gel.

Mixu wasn't finished, Hughes wasn't finished. Will CC be finished building a squad next summer? Doubt it. It just keeps going.

You need to manage what you have and he has failed with that.

He has has a great chance to clear out and he has signed around the same number of players as Hughes did.

How long did all the new players last August get before the manager ultimately went due to results? 8 or 9?

Sorry, I just don't see why different criteria is getting placed on judging this guy.

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 12:55 PM
No wasn't at Park Head but all the games I have seen at home games and on TV, the players appear to run out of steam quickly, don't chase as much as they should, some look over weight and for me, maybe not a fitness issue but lack a sense of urgency!

Which ones appear overweight?

cad
30-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Must just be the home games they look unfit ,well they did the last time I was there .

Not that Im taking the radio commentators as verbatim but Gary O and Leigh were suppose to have hands on knees at 60 /65 Mins unfit was the comment passed .

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Disagree. He didn't inherent an awful squad. One short on confidence yes, but getting a new manager was meant to sort all that. The players you mention mainly got 4th place and whilst Hart has been poor or injured its hardly a big issue to manage around. He's also has less actual football for Hibs than many of those who are being given time to gel.

Mixu wasn't finished, Hughes wasn't finished. Will CC be finished building a squad next summer? Doubt it. It just keeps going.

You need to manage what you have and he has failed with that.

He has has a great chance to clear out and he has signed around the same number of players as Hughes did.

How long did all the new players last August get before the manager ultimately went due to results? 8 or 9?

Sorry, I just don't see why different criteria is getting placed on judging this guy.

Don't get your logic here at all. You're saying on one hand that Hughes was too harshly judged, yet you want the current manager to be judged on the same too-harsh criteria? :confused:

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Must just be the home games they look unfit ,well they did the last time I was there .

Not that Im taking the radio commentators as verbatim but Gary O and Leigh were suppose to have hands on knees at 60 /65 Mins unfit was the comment passed .

Our boys put in a power of graft. I'd rather have forwards giving their all than Stokes and Hooper who came off the park looking fit and fresh after contributing the square root of hee haw.

Unfit teams don't win cup ties on penalties after two hours of football.

blaikie
30-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Off the top of my head:

Pallson
Agogo
Sodje
Brown
Stack
Stevenson
Hart
Towell
O'Connor
Leigh Griffiths (if his loan continues??)

To be fair most of the players out of contract are stop gap signings, Agogo and Sodje are in there 30s not exactly going to get any better. The rest are decent stop gaps except O'Connor and Stack who will probably end up on longer deals.

MrSmith
30-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Which ones appear overweight?

What? You can't tell? Good grief!

matty_f
30-10-2011, 02:15 PM

I'm sorry, but I've got a season ticket and have seen the team a fair bit this season, and I couldn't point to any of them that are overweight.

BS44
30-10-2011, 02:37 PM

Name names then. Who is the fatties and who are the players that don't look fit?

Maybe the fatties "lack motivation"; they are peed off since we stopped the pre match meals.

Caroline Hibby
30-10-2011, 02:38 PM
I think any defence of Hughes is misplaced. From the start of 2010 the football at ER was dire. We had won 'lucky' in the early part of the season and the te then got found out. Liam Miller was by far the most overrated lightweight biggest Billy Bigshot I've seen in a Hibs shirt. I actually predicted he'd do a Brebner and end up in Oz. Witness Hughes' other signings/favoured players career progression. McBride. Struggling to make a start at Hamilton. Rankin. Now being found out at United. Nish. Nough said. Hogg. Emptied by ICT then taken back on a short term. The fact JH hasn't worked since tells it's own story. As I say CC may not work out but I don't believe he's had a fair chance.

scoopyboy
30-10-2011, 02:52 PM

I thought GOC and Agogo were possibly overweight at the start of the season but IMO they've worked hard to sort this.

So I'm afraid you will have to enlighten us.

IWasThere2016
30-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Good OP, and I agree. I think recent weeks have been better but we need to get a settled team and some consistency. The first half of Well, and second on Wednesday will never do.

St Mirren and yesterday seems to me to there's decent ability, desire and fight. Long may it continue.

Looking forward we need 3 points this Saturday - it is a must win game.

Captain Trips
30-10-2011, 06:33 PM
To be fair most of the players out of contract are stop gap signings, Agogo and Sodje are in there 30s not exactly going to get any better. The rest are decent stop gaps except O'Connor and Stack who will probably end up on longer deals.

They are not stop gaps they are key players some of them? we bring in what is not far off a whole team in stop gap frameset?, this is one of the reasons we are in this mess, 2 or 3 stop gaps not about 60-70% of regular starters. We need players on longer deals for stability we again are in a situation of lots of key players out of contract, its a mess.

Iggy Pope
30-10-2011, 06:50 PM

What a poncey response! Name names man, or be quiet.

greenlex
30-10-2011, 07:06 PM
They are not stop gaps they are key players some of them? we bring in what is not far off a whole team in stop gap frameset?, this is one of the reasons we are in this mess, 2 or 3 stop gaps not about 60-70% of regular starters. We need players on longer deals for stability we again are in a situation of lots of key players out of contract, its a mess.

They are only key if they are performing consistently. If they are renegotiate a longer deal and if not we try again at the end of theirdeal with someone else. Short term deals will be the norm for smaller clubs and particularly clubs like us taking a punt on players. These players should be complementing and mentoring our younger homegrown payers who might actually get us some much needed transfer income.Totally comfortabe with this strategy. Far from a mess.

Any luck withthat list of lots of bad players we currently have?

Captain Trips
30-10-2011, 07:32 PM
They are only key if they are performing consistently. If they are renegotiate a longer deal and if not we try again at the end of theirdeal with someone else. Short term deals will be the norm for smaller clubs and particularly clubs like us taking a punt on players. These players should be complementing and mentoring our younger homegrown payers who might actually get us some much needed transfer income.Totally comfortabe with this strategy. Far from a mess.

Quicker to list ones IMO are good

Garry O
Griffiths
Ozzy
Hanlon in time hopefully
Not fussed about the rest Sodje looked ok last season, dont really think many more are that good

Captain Trips
30-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Far from a mess? Our results totally suggest it isnt working, you can express points about mentoring, results and performance suggest aye it's a mess alright.

FranckSuzy
30-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I think any defence of Hughes is misplaced. From the start of 2010 the football at ER was dire. We had won 'lucky' in the early part of the season and the te then got found out. Liam Miller was by far the most overrated lightweight biggest Billy Bigshot I've seen in a Hibs shirt. I actually predicted he'd do a Brebner and end up in Oz. Witness Hughes' other signings/favoured players career progression. McBride. Struggling to make a start at Hamilton. Rankin. Now being found out at United. Nish. Nough said. Hogg. Emptied by ICT then taken back on a short term. The fact JH hasn't worked since tells it's own story. As I say CC may not work out but I don't believe he's had a fair chance.

A friend of mine was at his game yesterday and said he was absolutely gash :agree:

Albion Hibs
30-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I would agree with a lot of what you say. CC needs time, I have never been interested on basing any consideration as to his performance on last season, he came during an era of "we are going to get relegated", prevented that from happening, IMO a good job done.

This season he has brought in his own players on what I would assume is a reduced budget to that of our recent managers and showed he has the ability to spot and bring in a good player. Many of these players came in at the end of the window and as such are only just getting to match fitness having played in the league like it was a pre-season. These players are in turn preforming and the results changing with them.

We have some good home fixtures coming up and a good performance in each of them should allow us to take the points, that will make a drastic difference to our league positon.

I would however say I dont agree with the bit about Miller, I would love it if he was still with us, you dont get move to 2 premiership clubs by not being good enough, esp when one of them in Man U. Unfortunatly Miller was probably lost due to the fans, why would a guy like him want to put up with the hassle of the hibs fans, giving him grief for rumours etc etc. My main fear is the booing, pash crowds, constant crit that lets be honest is worse than we would get from the lot next door will make other players fear the same, those currently in the team, or thinking about coming to Hibs.

EasterRoad4Ever
30-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Shame really.

:agree: Agree with all of that... except the last bit.

Hibs run through the veins of so many decent people. People who have invested much more than cash in the club over many year. It is so much more than a "shame". Calderwood and Petrie are transients, moments on time, our paid employees - people who are merely passing by the club on their way to who cares where. We the fans are the ONLY constant at the club and DESERVE much better than these people are currently giving us. To write the last few months and years of as a shame does a dis-service to the generations of Hibs fans who have loyally supported this great club.

Andy74
30-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Don't get your logic here at all. You're saying on one hand that Hughes was too harshly judged, yet you want the current manager to be judged on the same too-harsh criteria? :confused:

I'm saying that CC should now be judged on similar criteria.

I don't really get the logic of those who still slate hughes on a daily basis yet back CC.

I'm not saying Hughes should still be here I'm saying he was sacked for less than CC has delivered.

IWasThere2016
30-10-2011, 08:22 PM

I don't really get the logic of those who still slate hughes on a daily basis yet back CC.

I'm not saying Hughes should still be here I'm saying he was sacked for less than CC has delivered.

You conveniently ignore their respective starting points - CC inherited a shambles. Hughes didn't. Hence, there should be greater tolerance for CC. That said, we need to improve. If CC is here, and gets the opportunity to strengthen the squad, in January he must sort the defence.

hibs0666
30-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Why judge on similar criteria if you think that the criteria was wrong? Two wrong don't make a right surely?

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2011, 08:38 PM
You conveniently ignore their respective starting points - CC inherited a shambles. Hughes didn't. Hence, there should be greater tolerance for CC. That said, we need to improve. If CC is here, and gets the opportunity to strengthen the squad, in January he must sort the defence.

Hughes got something from his team (Europe) then nothing. Calderwood got nothing from Hughes team, now nothing from his own. If Hughes was half-success half-failure, Calderwood is double-failure.

Albion Hibs
30-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Hughes got something from his team (Europe) then nothing. Calderwood got nothing from Hughes team, now nothing from his own. If Hughes was half-success half-failure, Calderwood is double-failure.

You should probably take account of the fact that CC did not have the benefit of Stokes and Bamba, two of the more highly rated players in Hughes team, stokes especially, therefore what he did with Hughes team could not be compared properly.

IWasThere2016
30-10-2011, 09:21 PM

CC's not finished.

marinello59
30-10-2011, 09:25 PM

That doesn't make any sense. You don't think Yogi was judged on fair criteria but you want Calderwood judged in the same ''unfair'' manner.
I don't think it's the logic of those slating Hughes you don't get, it's the fact that people disagree with your judgement of the respective managers abilities that blows your mind.

Captain Trips
30-10-2011, 09:34 PM
CC's not finished.

Indeed and thats a worry.:greengrin

Andy74
31-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Why judge on similar criteria if you think that the criteria was wrong? Two wrong don't make a right surely?

So if you are backing CC are you suggesting that you should now be saying that it was wrong to sack Hughes??

My stance was pretty clear. He had had success. We finished 4th over the piece, he had a rough end to the season and not a great start to the next one and probably deserved that time, if not some more, to rurn things around again.

CC has no form to turn around, his results have been terrible from the off and are still terrible with his own team in.

In terms of results it probably was about right for Hughes which I think evertyone who had defended him to any extent have all just about conceded.

However, why the majority who called for him to go are now applying different criteria themselves to CC I don't really know.

And it's me who is meant to have changed my stance is it? Strange.

hibs0666
31-10-2011, 11:16 AM
So if you are backing CC are you suggesting that you should now be saying that it was wrong to sack Hughes??

My stance was pretty clear. He had had success. We finished 4th over the piece, he had a rough end to the season and not a great start to the next one and probably deserved that time, if not some more, to rurn things around again.

CC has no form to turn around, his results have been terrible from the off and are still terrible with his own team in.

In terms of results it probably was about right for Hughes which I think evertyone who had defended him to any extent have all just about conceded.

However, why the majority who called for him to go are now applying different criteria themselves to CC I don't really know.

And it's me who is meant to have changed my stance is it? Strange.

It would be nuts to apply the same criteria time after time when the circumstances change from manager to manager. Clearly, the circumstances under which Hughes and Calderwood have led the team were very different and this must be taken into account before we introduce yet more upheaval to the club.

Andy74
31-10-2011, 01:29 PM
It would be nuts to apply the same criteria time after time when the circumstances change from manager to manager. Clearly, the circumstances under which Hughes and Calderwood have led the team were very different and this must be taken into account before we introduce yet more upheaval to the club.

What are the very different circumstances which should be taken into account for Calderwood?

Are you just going to tell me he inhereted a shambles from Hughes?

hibs0666
31-10-2011, 01:31 PM

You're right I can't tell because I don't think we have any pear-shaped players. So when are you going to enlighten me?

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I too dont see this unfit side, and to be honest did not think Collins team were fitter than we are now?

What he had when he took over was a good side, and as we know good sides keep the ball better than poor sides.

A good side will make a poorer team work harder, a team chasing the ball will tire a lot quicker than a team keeping the ball. We have been chasing the ball a lot for quite a while, hence players blowing out their erse.

HibsMax
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Hopefully we'll pick up a couple of good results over the coming weeks, improve upon our league position and then we can look back and laugh at how we all argued over this. :)

Personally speaking I don't think you can build a successful football team, on peanuts, as quickly as many fans would like. But we've been over this ground many times before. There are people who want to give him a little more time (varying between Christmas and the rest of the season) and there are those who want him out now. I hope he gets more time because I want to see it work with him and I don't want to see us starting from scratch again.