PDA

View Full Version : Subbuteo Event @ Easter Road - 20th November

sambajustice
28-10-2011, 11:54 AM
The title pretty much says it all...

We are having an event at Easter Road in the main stand on Sunday 20th November. It is the 3rd event in our Scottish Calendar.

Anyway, it is open for anyone to come along and watch and also try the game out. We will have plenty spare pitches and teams for spectators to play on.

Yes, you may laugh at a subbuteo event but its far better than sitting infront of your playstation killing brain cells. It would get you/your kids away from the tv screens and actually interacting with other people. The game is actually a lot more skilful and intricate than you probably give it credit for and i would say try it before you knock it.

It is free entry to get in and like i say there will be plenty of tables for spectators to try the game. There will also be equipment for sale (teams/balls etc) at a reduced rate for anyone that turns up and gets hooked on the game. There will be a range of teams (although probably no Hibs ones) There will be plenty people from my/our club on hand to give advice and tips on how to play, you wont just be left standing around like a plum!

The fact its ER is a big pull itself for us seeing as most of our club are Hibbies.

Take a look at our website if you have time

www.hotclubdecosse.com (http://www.hotclubdecosse.com)

If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me!

cheers!

Oh, its in the Main Stand, from about 10am-5pm! All Welcome!

tamig
28-10-2011, 11:58 AM

We are having an event at Easter Road in the main stand on Sunday 20th November. It is the 3rd event in our Scottish Calendar.

Anyway, it is open for anyone to come along and watch and also try the game out. We will have plenty spare pitches and teams for spectators to play on.

Yes, you may laugh at a subbuteo event but its far better than sitting infront of your playstation killing brain cells. It would get you/your kids away from the tv screens and actually interacting with other people. The game is actually a lot more skilful and intricate than you probably give it credit for and i would say try it before you knock it.

It is free entry to get in and like i say there will be plenty of tables for spectators to try the game. There will also be equipment for sale (teams/balls etc) at a reduced rate for anyone that turns up and gets hooked on the game. There will be a range of teams (although probably no Hibs ones) There will be plenty people from my/our club on hand to give advice and tips on how to play, you wont just be left standing around like a plum!

The fact its ER is a big pull itself for us seeing as most of our club are Hibbies.

cheers!

Still the best game on the planet. I'd be there but am down south for that weekend. Hope it goes well.

sambajustice
28-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Cheers!

I think it will. Should get a healthy turn out of players while a few folk have already said they will come along to have a wee butchers!

SHould be a good day!

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2011, 01:29 AM

cheers!

Count me in. I'm sick of watching Subbuteo outside at ER, it'll be good to see it indoors for a change.

wazoo1875
29-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I'll come along with the kids, I've still got quite a bit of kit tho it's not been used for a few years!!

sambajustice
30-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I'll come along with the kids, I've still got quite a bit of kit tho it's not been used for a few years!!

Will be good to see you if you can make it! Like I said plenty of spare tables and equipment will be there for people to use. SHould be quite good, a few people have said they are planing on coming along for a wee look!

sambajustice
03-11-2011, 12:20 PM
A wee poster about the event at ER...

green glory
04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
You should sell white or green t-shirts with a picture of a Subbuteo Hibs player on it.

Like this: http://www.thundermonkeytshirts.co.uk/home/tshirts/subbuteo

I'd buy one! :aok:

James70
07-11-2011, 08:49 AM
I watched an international Subbuteo competition in the FF stand two or three years ago and was disappointed to see that the plastic players are now on flat bases.

When I was a kid the great attraction was being able to spin the players around the opposition pieces in a sort of dribbling action and I thought there was more skill to the game in those days.

It seems that being able to dribble with the ball is a dying art in Subbuteo as well as in football itself!

tamig
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I watched an international Subbuteo competition in the FF stand two or three years ago and was disappointed to see that the plastic players are now on flat bases.

When I was a kid the great attraction was being able to spin the players around the opposition pieces in a sort of dribbling action and I thought there was more skill to the game in those days.

It seems that being able to dribble with the ball is a dying art in Subbuteo as well as in football itself!

There's effectively two codes now Supermac - the traditional Subbuteo and the modern "slidey" game. I believe both versions are planned to be on show at the event. I'm and old style man myself but it is a bit of a touchy subject.

sambajustice
07-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Ah, its just the evolution of the game! The same as real football I suppose.

There's no less skill involved in the game now just because there is less spinning. Its still possible its just not need as much. Its essentially the same game though.

You'll also find that "dribbling" is a critical part of the game, if you dont keep the ball in at close quarters and knock and about and just rely on long slides then you'll lose the ball!!

:greengrin

wearehibernian
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Several references to Subbuteo in my new ´We are Hibernian´ book - see review on Hibs.net homepage.
The best one from Fish stating that he signed George Best to his Subbuteo team just months before he signed for Hibs..
I hope to make it along to this and see if my skills are merely dormant and not gone forever....:flag:

heretoday
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Celluloid. I thought I was over it but that old devil has me in its grip again.

The old sets were the business. Spinning around. I had a Celtic team with a Jimmy Johnstone figure that had been stepped on and reslotted - minus legs.

The cat used to watch from under the couch. Occasionally men would go missing. And footballs.

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM

The old sets were the business. Spinning around. I had a Celtic team with a Jimmy Johnstone figure that had been stepped on and reslotted - minus legs.

The cat used to watch from under the couch. Occasionally men would go missing. And footballs.

There's actually a guy in our circuit who STILL uses them!! They are near impossible to play against because they are just constantly spinning! LOL

Unfotunately he wont be there at this event.

On a general note, there will be plenty spare tables up for people to have a go on, plenty of spare teams as well. We're wanting as many people as possible to come along and have a wee dabble. There will be plenty of us kicking about to give advice on what its all about. Who knows, it might just its claws back into a few people!

heretoday
11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
We used to flick the players with our thumbs but I think that is not actually allowed.

I have kept all the old celluloid stuff in a box. I loved the team sheets with all the team colours. Hibs and Plymouth!

The Rules always sounded like they were written by frustrated schoolmasters.

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
We used to flick the players with our thumbs but I think that is not actually allowed.

I have kept all the old celluloid stuff in a box. I loved the team sheets with all the team colours. Hibs and Plymouth!

The Rules always sounded like they were written by frustrated schoolmasters.

:grr::rules: A cardinal sin!!! :greengrin:greengrin

SOme of the rules are a bit much tbh, but we make it as simple as possible when describing the game to people. Usually you give the basics of the rules then just point other things out as they crop up in matches!

You wouldnt believe the size of the "official" rulebook! Ridiculous to say the least!! :grr:

wearehibernian
11-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Yeah I remember being in on goal only for the cat to jump into the box and make off with the ball or a poor wee player. Scottish football has its problems but at least giant cats invading the pitch arent one of them.
We always had an expression of ´draggers´ for those that didnt use the correct finger. Also, anyone remember the Subbuteo competitions that took place downstairs in John Menzies on Princes Street?

Dan Sarf
11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah I remember being in on goal only for the cat to jump into the box and make off with the ball or a poor wee player. Scottish football has its problems but at least giant cats invading the pitch arent one of them.
We always had an expression of ´draggers´ for those that didnt use the correct finger. Also, anyone remember the Subbuteo competitions that took place downstairs in John Menzies on Princes Street?

Thanks for that description! Hilarious!

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 12:21 PM

LOL @ "Draggers"!!

We use the term "Shovellers" If we were going to a tournament in England, we'd see who the team was drawn in a group with and say "aww naw, we've got Lichfield Shovel Club"... :greengrin

We are table football purists up here and are subjected to some ridiculous flicking and come up against many draggers/scrapers/shovellers!! :greengrin

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM

oh, forgot to say, there's a funny story about a player at a tournament in John Menzies and an incident with a creme egg! I wasnt there as it was so long ago but said player who was involved in this incident WILL be at ER next week!! :greengrin

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/scottishtablefootballassociation/

Association Website

Moncs
16-11-2011, 09:17 PM
This sounds great, will try and pop along with the Mrs and kids on Sunday, used to love this when I was younger

sambajustice
16-11-2011, 10:38 PM
This sounds great, will try and pop along with the Mrs and kids on Sunday, used to love this when I was younger

That would be great, hopefully have a decent wee crowd along! We actually enquired about Tynecastle as well, it would probably be far better in terms of getting the equipment in, not sure about the lighting though! Anyway, Hibs had already got back to us by the time Hearts did and being a Hibby i had to take it there!

I wouldnt say no to Tynecastle in the future though!!