PDA

View Full Version : Signing policy

mcfly
27-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Forgive me fellow hibbys if this idea sounds incredibly naive however im gonna share it.

Im not keen on the policy of giving 1 yr deals to journeymen players who could have a good 6 months and then sign pre contract deals with other clubs in jan and then not kick a ball again all season.

Is it an idea to give youth a chance and play our young players - forget the 1 yr deals and really give the young players a go.

Spend most of the budget on a good goalie (stack) then an experience centre half, midfielder and a good experienced striker so we have a spine of a team and develop the young players around them.

We may not be great or successful for a couple of seasons but surely it cant be worse.

Just an idea - shoot me down in flames if you think its rubbish

marleyhib
27-10-2011, 06:19 PM
My mate was saying something similar at the game last night, why not play the ladies team?

Captain Trips
28-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Our signing policy is and has been shocking for last couple of seasons, far to many players brought in for to short a period be it as a trial, stopgap or player wanting in shop window.

You cannot do much when you are changing half the team every season you need to establish partnerships in positions our whole attack could leave this season for instance. The club have to identify players whom are of the quality that will sign for more that 6-12mths. The patchwork teams are not working.

Garry OcConnor fine you take him on with maybe one or 2 others at most but if you have Garry you have to have other striker picking up some of his better habits on park and learning so when he is off there is some continuity, no we have somebody else able to leave.

steakbake
28-10-2011, 09:34 AM
One thing occurs to me.

It's a bit of a friggin' luxury for a manager to constantly be able to change his team and for clubs to basically give more than a year's bedding in time just because the manager's players are "not his own" and he needs a total change in personnel.

In my line of work, I'm not going to turn around to my boss to say "sorry it's not going well, i dont have my own people but give me a massive budget and a couple of years and my mistakes will at least be my own".

To some extent people have to work with the resources they have. I don't see how that doesn't apply in football. So when the new man comes in, surely he'll be able to do something with the players at his disposal?

Andy74
28-10-2011, 10:02 AM
One thing occurs to me.

It's a bit of a friggin' luxury for a manager to constantly be able to change his team and for clubs to basically give more than a year's bedding in time just because the manager's players are "not his own" and he needs a total change in personnel.

In my line of work, I'm not going to turn around to my boss to say "sorry it's not going well, i dont have my own people but give me a massive budget and a couple of years and my mistakes will at least be my own".

To some extent people have to work with the resources they have. I don't see how that doesn't apply in football. So when the new man comes in, surely he'll be able to do something with the players at his disposal?

You'd think so really.

LancashireHibby
28-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Im not keen on the policy of giving 1 yr deals to journeymen players who could have a good 6 months

A good 6 months, when did that happen?! :wink:

(I think your post was exactly why we didn't sign Sheridan by the way as a January move seemed to be exactly his intention).

HFC 0-7
28-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Another problem with the signings and calderwood is that he wason record as saying he didnt haveenough time for the team to be ready for the start of the seaosn because he had to bring in a decent amount of players and get them to gel. The signings that he has made mean that we are going to be in the same situation next season should he still be in charge. If he has a problem getting players to gel then he certainly shouldnt be putting us in a position where we will have a new bunch of players at the start of every season taking ages to gel.

Billy Whizz
28-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Another problem with the signings and calderwood is that he wason record as saying he didnt haveenough time for the team to be ready for the start of the seaosn because he had to bring in a decent amount of players and get them to gel. The signings that he has made mean that we are going to be in the same situation next season should he still be in charge. If he has a problem getting players to gel then he certainly shouldnt be putting us in a position where we will have a new bunch of players at the start of every season taking ages to gel.

I think one of the additional problems this year was the early start to the SPL season

HFC 0-7
28-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I think one of the additional problems this year was the early start to the SPL season

Well, the season started about 3 weeks early this season and he wasnt ready even although every other SPL club was in the same position. If we were to qualify for europe, the games for that are at the same time so it doesnt matter. You know when the season starts, deal with it, get things ready. I dont know any other business or job where you know the deadline, which is the same for all your competitors but you come out and say your not ready and tht its accepted. Here we are though 4 months down the line and we are still as bad so! Perhaps the start of the season has come 5 months too early for calderwood to get things going!

Billy Whizz
28-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, the season started about 3 weeks early this season and he wasnt ready even although every other SPL club was in the same position. If we were to qualify for europe, the games for that are at the same time so it doesnt matter. You know when the season starts, deal with it, get things ready. I dont know any other business or job where you know the deadline, which is the same for all your competitors but you come out and say your not ready and tht its accepted. Here we are though 4 months down the line and we are still as bad so! Perhaps the start of the season has come 5 months too early for calderwood to get things going!

Agogo, Osbourne, Griffiths and Towell were late coming in. Other than O'Conner we had no other strikers in August, as Sodje was injured. O'Hanlon was also injured at the start of the season so we a bit down on numbers.
Who's fault...........

steakbake
28-10-2011, 11:44 AM
If we hadn't been put on the back burner while someone checked out what sweeties were available, we might have got things in gear.

The start of the season came early for everyone and it's not as if it was a surprise! The dates were known well in advance. A club focussed on preparations for the new football season might have had an inkling that we'd need to turn a team out in late July.

Bostonhibby
29-10-2011, 08:54 AM

:agree: A year too early in some cases. My policy would be to find out who actually fancies a game for us, as opposed to having to persuade them to come, see if they are professional enough to apply themselves 100%. If they can tackle, defend in any shape or form, track back or pass sign them - 2 of the 4 qualities mentioned here will generally do.

RIP
29-10-2011, 10:12 AM
We do have a signing policy and there are 2 different streams

Young players from the academy
Players who have failed at other clubs

tamig
29-10-2011, 11:01 AM
If we hadn't been put on the back burner while someone checked out what sweeties were available, we might have got things in gear.

That is my one biggest criticism of CC. I feel that his eye was definitely off the ball so far as we were concerned while he was checking out the sweeties.

greenlex
29-10-2011, 12:29 PM
One thing occurs to me.

Doesnt work in football. There are so many ways to play the game it does take time to mould a team/squad into your way of playing etc. I cant think of any other type of business where this is the case. Think about your job. How many different ways or proceedures are there to enabke you to doit better or even differently? You can add to the mix that the challenge (in footballs case changes every game) would change on a weekly basis.