PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell game in December moved to a Friday night

hibs0666
27-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Quite fancy that.

Mikey
27-10-2011, 02:38 PM
To be honest, that's got Cask And Barrel written all over it. A few pints of stout while watching the cabbage sounds like a plan to me!

It'll cost less than a trip to Motherwell and taste a lot better :greengrin

hibs0666
27-10-2011, 02:40 PM
To be honest, that's got Cask And Barrel written all over it. A few pints of stout while watching the cabbage sounds like a plan to me!

Is it live on the portabelly?

wearethehibs
27-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Is it live on the portabelly? The aberdeen v pars game wasn't on the box. So I don't expect this to be. Why move a perfectly good 3pm saturday kick off to a friday. Its a joke!

SteveHFC
27-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Happy with that. :agree:

Mikey
27-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Is it live on the portabelly?

I was assuming so. Why shift it if it's not?*

* I think I know the answer to that :greengrin

Saorsa
27-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I was assuming so. Why shift it if it's not?*

* I think I know the answer to that :greengrin*wonder if you're answer is the same as mine :hmmm:

Mikey
27-10-2011, 02:56 PM
*wonder if you're answer is the same as mine :hmmm:

Naw. I don't swear as much as you do :greengrin

LancashireHibby
27-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Has this been confirmed? Although I fancy the trip, it isn't quite so good news for a Cardiff-based Hibby (who I think posts on here?) who has already arranged his trip based on the original date.

Saorsa
27-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Naw. I don't swear as much as you do :greengrinsimilar but with less profanities then :wink:

Mikey
27-10-2011, 03:00 PM
similar but with less profanities then :wink:

That's the ****er :agree:

Saorsa
27-10-2011, 03:01 PM
That's the ****er :agree::greengrin

HH81
27-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Naw. I don't swear as much as you do :greengrin

I have never heard him swear although he does owe me a pint though :-)

Saorsa
27-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I have never heard him swear although he does owe me a pint though :-)I'd rather you just telt the truth about the swearing instead of making up stuff about drinks :wink:

Billy Whizz
27-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think this will be on the TV. Think Motherwell have taken the opportunity to see if they can get a few more through the gate. Saturday's before Xmas get low crowds

Chuck Rhoades
27-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Nightmate! We had a display lined up for Well this has thrown a spanner in the works! Need to get Bus rearranged also. Hopefully we can still fill it.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-10-2011, 03:12 PM
The reason for Friday night games was to try something different to entice more fans to the game, showing it on TV would defeat that purpose, so I doubt it would be on tele.

persevere1875
27-10-2011, 03:20 PM
"After the first friday night football more than 1500 fans took part in a survey with the majority of fans in favour"

Sure we'll soon sort that out for them, after a friday night watching us most fans would rather spend the night in an Iranian high security prison :wink:

.Sean.
27-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Excellent. I get a half day on a Friday, so it seems a perfect time to get away with my mates for a piss up and the football. Quite looking forward to it.

persevere1875
27-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Excellent. I get a half day on a Friday, so it seems a perfect time to get away with my mates for a piss up and the football. Quite looking forward to it.

Well the piss up should be good anyway.......

frazeHFC
27-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Piss of SFA. Bunch of morons. :grr: Another game i am definately missing! :grr:

Hate the SFA.

KWJ
27-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Cracking boozer. Only seen Stowford Press cider there and Oscars at Slateford.

wearethehibs
27-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Piss of SFA. Bunch of morons. :grr: Another game i am definately missing! :grr:Hate the SFA. As pointed out to me by the SFA on twitter its the SPL that arranges the fixtures.

saltandsauce
27-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Cracking boozer. Only seen Stowford Press cider there and Oscars at Slateford. Halfway house does stowford press,no live fitba though

cabbageandribs1875
27-10-2011, 06:56 PM
quite fancy a friday night game, and i like going through to see us in motherwell :agree: give us a chance to see how the new manager is shaping up as well
:devil:

frazeHFC
27-10-2011, 06:58 PM
As pointed out to me by the SFA on twitter its the SPL that arranges the fixtures.

I got the exact same response. :tee hee:

Wheat Hound
27-10-2011, 07:17 PM
The last Friday night game at Fir Park was 2000/01 season where we won 3-1 and Zitelli scored a couple of crackers. Goalkeeping legend and all round Canadian good guy Mike Franks was between the sticks for us that evening too IIRC.

Baldy Foghorn
27-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Stupid night for football, stupid idea from SFA IMO.....

Yet again another of our Saturday fixtures gets moved......

scotiaf
27-10-2011, 09:38 PM
From a selfish Glasgow based hibby, I'm happy

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2011, 09:51 PM
The reason for Friday night games was to try something different to entice more fans to the game, showing it on TV would defeat that purpose, so I doubt it would be on tele.

Probably about right as Scottish football has been in decline for years and probably now hit League of Ireland level, where they've been doing that for years. No doubt if it does prove popular fans, Sky will insist on some EPL games being played for broadcast at that time.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Ruin a perfectly good friday night to travel and watch the crap we've been treated to this season!!!! GTF

erin go bragh
27-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Ruin a perfectly good friday night to travel and watch the crap we've been treated to this season!!!! GTF

Dont know the stats but we have scored a few goals at fir park . [ in the last few ]
Quite fancy the fri night goal feast :agree:

GGTTH

Gingertosser
28-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I find it hard enough going along to watch that pish on a Saturday,
never mind a Friday night when the pub seems slightly more appealing.

Hermit Crab
28-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I think a lot of people will opt for th boozer that night. Thoughtlessness again from the SFA.

H18sry
28-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I think a lot of people will opt for th boozer that night. Thoughtlessness again from the SFA.
Not listed as being live on the telly box :wink:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html
http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-football-on-espn.html

Hermit Crab
28-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Not listed as being live on the telly box :wink:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html
http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-football-on-espn.html

Aye spend £30 plus on travel and tickets or go to the local boozer for a few bevvies :wink:

Hibs90
28-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Works night out or watch that ****. Know where I'd rather be.

LancashireHibby
28-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Works night out or watch that ****. Know where I'd rather be.

Depends on who you work with, I'd take Motherwell every time :greengrin

Hibby70
28-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Personally i'd rather all games to be a Friday night, floodlit games seem better and gives you the whole weekend with the family.
Realise I'm probably in the minority though.

Carheenlea
28-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I think we might well see a larger than expected crowd for this one. As it gets nearer and people are used to the idea I reckon it will be quite an attractive fixture, more so if our fortunes improve on the park.
I will look forward to this for the novelty value, but would certainly be strongly against permanently moving the fixtures to a Friday night.

Alfred E Newman
28-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I think we might well see a larger than expected crowd for this one. As it gets nearer and people are used to the idea I reckon it will be quite an attractive fixture, more so if our fortunes improve on the park.
I will look forward to this for the novelty value, but would certainly be strongly against permanently moving the fixtures to a Friday night.

you forgot to mention the fish supper at Carluke :top marks

lucky
28-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm going I like the Friday night idea. Anything and everything has to tried to improve the SPL. I take a Friday night game over lunchtime Saturday or Sunday.

blackpoolhibs
28-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Just another piss take for the football fan. Not sure about any other Hibs fans, but for me Motherwell is like a home game. 2 hours up the motorway, and one of the away games i normally make. Friday night kicks that in the balls though.

Its got to the stage now, you have to check the day and the time if you want to watch a game of football. Saturday at 3pm is no longer a given, and that is doing untold amount of damage imo.

Purple & Green
28-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Personally i'd rather all games to be a Friday night, floodlit games seem better and gives you the whole weekend with the family.
Realise I'm probably in the minority though.

I'm the same - Saturday/Sunday rarely suits me - evening ko's are great for me.

Carheenlea
29-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Just another piss take for the football fan. Not sure about any other Hibs fans, but for me Motherwell is like a home game. 2 hours up the motorway, and one of the away games i normally make. Friday night kicks that in the balls though.

Its got to the stage now, you have to check the day and the time if you want to watch a game of football. Saturday at 3pm is no longer a given, and that is doing untold amount of damage imo.

The only fans (SPL) that can buy a season ticket and safely assume that almost all their home games will be Saturdays at 3pm are fans of the Old Firm.
In this instance, no consideration is given to those fans who travel considerable distances to games, like yourself and a few other posters on here. However, given that the majority of fans live within central Scotland, travel to Motherwell might not be a major inconvenience for most, and I reckon that we will see a larger turnout for this than it would on the Saturday.

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2011, 10:47 AM
The only fans (SPL) that can buy a season ticket and safely assume that almost all their home games will be Saturdays at 3pm are fans of the Old Firm.
In this instance, no consideration is given to those fans who travel considerable distances to games, like yourself and a few other posters on here. However, given that the majority of fans live within central Scotland, travel to Motherwell might not be a major inconvenience for most, and I reckon that we will see a larger turnout for this than it would on the Saturday.

While i will reserve judgement at the moment until we see just how many fans they get through the doors on the friday, i'd imagine the away support will be down. They might get more home fans though, i just dont know?

Is that a good thing, more home fans but less away ones?

basehibby
29-10-2011, 11:06 AM
i'm interested to see how this gets on - I spent some time in Australia where Fri night KOs were not at all uncommon for the big Rugby League sides - the result seemed to be a bit of a party atmosphere as punters seized the opportunity to hit the pub straight after work en route to the game. I see no reason why Fri evenings shouldn't be every bit as successful here - defo a damn sight better than 12pm on a Sunday or whatever time on a Monday IMO.

invisible man
29-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm going I like the Friday night idea. Anything and everything has to tried to improve the SPL. I take a Friday night game over lunchtime Saturday or Sunday.

The thing is, this is a 3.00pm Saturday game they're moving, not a lunchtime one and it's not on the box.

LancashireHibby
29-10-2011, 11:44 AM
i'm interested to see how this gets on - I spent some time in Australia where Fri night KOs were not at all uncommon for the big Rugby League sides - the result seemed to be a bit of a party atmosphere as punters seized the opportunity to hit the pub straight after work en route to the game. I see no reason why Fri evenings shouldn't be every bit as successful here - defo a damn sight better than 12pm on a Sunday or whatever time on a Monday IMO.

Most of the Super League clubs over here tend to play Friday nights these days, but that is largely because the corporate take up is much better on a Friday night than it is the traditional Sunday afternoon kick offs, so there is a more marked difference than maybe football's Saturday 3pm. The away support (and travelling distances) is probably on the whole similar to the SPL so it's a good comparison to make, though for obvious reasons I'd much prefer to stick to weekend games.