PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill

YehButNoBut
27-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Personally think Michael O'Neill would do a good job for us as manager but it's looking like we will miss out.

There are rumours that Peter Houston's time at Dundee Utd is nearly up and he will be high on their list of candidates. Also looks like he might be the choice of N Ireland as their new manager as betting has been suspnded on him getting the job with them.

We obviously cannot make a move until we have a vacancy but I reckon this could be an opportunity lost.

Stevie Reid
27-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Personally think Michael O'Neill would do a good job for us as manager but it's looking like we will miss out.

There are rumours that Peter Houston's time at Dundee Utd is nearly up and he will be high on their list of candidates. Also looks like he might be the choice of N Ireland as their new manager as betting has been suspnded on him getting the job with them.

We obviously cannot make a move until we have a vacancy but I reckon this could be an opportunity lost.

Feel exactly the same, and posted about it a few weeks ago. MON has considerable status in the game (for a young, potential Hibs manager) and has been great at Shamrock - he also is crying out for an SPL job and has no permanent assistant. I reckon a management team of O'Neill and Brown would be exciting to the fans, and do worry that we will miss out.

Mind you, I thought that Ian McCall and Craig Brewster would be good managers for Dundee Utd.

johnrebus
27-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Would be surprised if this came to pass.

Did O'Neill not get death threats while playing for NI due to his catholic religion?

I could be wrong.

:confused:

Baader
27-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Knowing Hibs, we'll miss out bringing O'Neill back.

Just as it looked we might get Steve Clarke and Billy Stark and instead wound up with the current useless incumbent...

YehButNoBut
27-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Article in The Independant today about O'Neill, excert below, we could do with someone with the attributes in bold. Also did not realise if he gets the NI job he will be their first Catholic manager since 1958.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few men in football know O'Neill as well as Tommy Wright, the former goalkeeper who played with O'Neill for Newcastle United and Northern Ireland, and was O'Neill's goalkeeping coach for nine months at Shamrock Rovers. "We're close friends, we have been since Newcastle in 1989," Wright told The Independent.

"I've seen first hand what he can do," Wright said. "He's got attention to detail, he ticks all the boxes, his man management, he prepares his teams very well and tactically he's proved to be very astute. He's passionate, but he can also just stand and analyse a game and take a step back. He's very much his own man."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/shamrock-feats-install-oneill-as-unity-candidate-2376298.html

Elephant Stone
27-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd be excited if we managed to get O'Neill, he's said that he'd like to manage in the SPL and I'd be pretty gutted if he ended up somewhere else.

connerg
27-10-2011, 02:39 PM

CC's time is up at ER too! A vacancy can be made easily, it's up to the board.

ScottB
27-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Ummm so the answer is a guy who was beaten to the job by the last 3 failed appointments??

I don't see it.

Elephant Stone
27-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Ummm so the answer is a guy who was beaten to the job by the last 3 failed appointments??

I don't see it.

If that's even true, don't you think he's done a pretty amazing job at the same time? He's been far more successful than our last three managers anyway so even if he did come second to them in getting the previous vacancies it doesn't mean he's a lesser manager by any means.

ScottB
27-10-2011, 02:49 PM
If that's even true, don't you think he's done a pretty amazing job at the same time? He's been far more successful than our last three managers anyway so even if he did come second to them in getting the previous vacancies it doesn't mean he's a lesser manager by any means.

Sounds kinda similar to CC in a way, decent CV on paper, but his own clubs fans seem to be less than happy with him, despite his achievements, speaking of achievements, other than squeezing them into the Champions League, I see nothing too out of the ordinary for a manager of one of their leagues biggest clubs.

CC came here having taken Forest to promotion and No. 2 rebuilding Newcastle after all.

heretoday
27-10-2011, 03:01 PM
With his record at Shamrock, O'Neill must be looking at jobs in England rather than up here surely? Maybe not Leicester but similar.

Baader
27-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Sounds kinda similar to CC in a way, decent CV on paper, but his own clubs fans seem to be less than happy with him, despite his achievements, speaking of achievements, other than squeezing them into the Champions League, I see nothing too out of the ordinary for a manager of one of their leagues biggest clubs.

CC came here having taken Forest to promotion and No. 2 rebuilding Newcastle after all.

Taking shamrock into the group stages of the Europa League IS a remarkable achievement

ScottB
27-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Taking shamrock into the group stages of the Europa League IS a remarkable achievement

Is it? Ultimately it came down to a cup tie. Would we hire a 2nd division manager purely because he masterminded his side knocking Celtic out a cup for example?

Frankly, record has bugger all to do with it as far as we go. CC has a decent record, failed, Hughes did alright with Falkirk, failed. Mixu had experience of in the SFL and taking a Finnish team into Europe, failed.

Elephant Stone
27-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Is it? Ultimately it came down to a cup tie. Would we hire a 2nd division manager purely because he masterminded his side knocking Celtic out a cup for example?

Frankly, record has bugger all to do with it as far as we go. CC has a decent record, failed, Hughes did alright with Falkirk, failed. Mixu had experience of in the SFL and taking a Finnish team into Europe, failed.

I don't know if he does. In his last managerial job he got Nottingham Forrest promoted out of a league they shouldn't really have been in in the first place and was sacked the next season after they'd only won 4 games by Christmas.

Bayern Bru
27-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't know if he does. In his last managerial job he got Nottingham Forrest promoted out of a league they shouldn't really have been in in the first place and was sacked the next season after they'd only won 4 games by Christmas.

Which in theory is still possible for Hibs.

Rumours in Dundee are that Levein and Houston are off to Blackburn with O'Neill to replace Houston at Tannadice...

ScottB
27-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Rumours in Dundee are that Levein and Houston are off to Blackburn with O'Neill to replace Houston at Tannadice...

Brilliant, anything that gets Levein away from Scotland suits me fine!

Hibee87
27-10-2011, 03:36 PM
When Calderwoods time is up Billy Brown will be the new manager :agree: possible as soon as next week i hope :aok:

offshorehibby
27-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I've said this in another thread that we might end up missing out on MON because somebody else will beat us to it.

brydekirk
27-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Would'nt mind bb gettin a shot til christmas, c wot he can do.

Baader
27-10-2011, 04:01 PM

It also came down to the fact he won the domestic league title with them - their first since 1994 - and has since retained it. You're right that he may not be able to do anything at ER as people have come before with decent credentials and not been able to but I'd like to see him given a chance. Somehow think we will miss out on him though..

offshorehibby
27-10-2011, 04:43 PM
We have two games to play before the AGM. One we probably are not expected to win and the other we should be expected to win. So i can't see much happening before then.

IWasThere2016
27-10-2011, 04:56 PM

'Tis correct that Levein fancies the Blackburn job.

Westie1875
27-10-2011, 07:00 PM
'Tis correct that Levein fancies the Blackburn job.

Good, I hope he gets it, the sooner he is away from the national team the better.

Hermit Crab
27-10-2011, 07:05 PM
This subject has been done to death in the last year :rolleyes:

thebakerboy
27-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Don't think MON will leave Shamrock till they are out of Europe and played all their games and that won't be till December so I feel if we want him it will be all about the timing.

sbell1875
27-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Failed in what way?

In our current predicaments I would say secure top 6 finishes, actually having a go against the old firm at home and in Mixu's case, actually putting together a team capable of beating Hearts was actually successful?

We will never be favourites for tournaments and / or 3rd place Europa League qualification but I will say something, Yogi and Mixu took us far closer to that than CC ever will.

essexhibee
27-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Why would he want to come to hibs?

Would be absolute buzzing if levein left he is an awful national manager.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2011, 09:40 PM
If the manager of Shamrock was some unknown ex Irish League player who had managed to get them into the Europa league, would there be the same clamour from some for him to be the next Hibs manager?

R'Albin
27-10-2011, 09:42 PM
If the manager of Shamrock was some unknown ex Irish League player who had managed to get them into the Europa league, would there be the same clamour from some for him to be the next Hibs manager?

Yes.

Elephant Stone
27-10-2011, 09:46 PM

I didn't know him at all as a player and I'd be excited for it to happen, it's purely his managerial credibility for me.

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Yes.

Of course :rolleyes:

R'Albin
27-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Of course :rolleyes:

Why would there not be?

Scouse Hibee
27-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Why would there not be?

It's just another let's find an ex hibby who fits the bill shout!

Elephant Stone
27-10-2011, 09:55 PM

I think a lot of folk would be put off by that actually.

R'Albin
27-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Or maybe because he has done a fantastic job at Shamrock, and says he would be interested in a job in the SPL. We would have noticed the fact he has managed to get Shamrock into the Europa league group stages surely?

Stevie Reid
28-10-2011, 08:39 AM
It also came down to the fact he won the domestic league title with them - their first since 1994 - and has since retained it. You're right that he may not be able to do anything at ER as people have come before with decent credentials and not been able to but I'd like to see him given a chance. Somehow think we will miss out on him though..

:agree:

And the prize money for winning their league is only €100,000.