PDA

View Full Version : Schoolboy errors

zero-seven
26-10-2011, 11:57 PM
watching the second half tonight...the space Cetic had between our forwards and midfield and our midfield and defence was laughable...left back had no protection from Sproule...we would get beaten by any team tonight playing with this sort of shape

i seen it and i dont get paid by Hibs..maybe i should

get rid of the lot from the top down and start afresh

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Its because we defend so deep, the midfielders have such a difficult job supporting the forwards AND defending, the game is always going to get stretched.

And as much as we'd all like them to be able to do so, they cant keep it up for 90 minutes. The easy answer is just to get the defence to step up 15-20 yards, well we all saw tonight just what happens when they do that.

shamo9
27-10-2011, 01:47 AM
We need a midfielder to assist Osbourne, not hinder him. We need to take a note out of every other team's book when they come to Easter Road: WIDTH, we have as big a pitch as you're allowed, use it. We need to inject some pace into our defence by whatever means necessary. We need to learn how to mark from set pieces (seriously, take a look at 30 mins when we're defending a corner. Wotherspoon, who's on the post, can see Stokes is free. He asks someone to pick him up, no one does = he gets a free header. Only after the event does O'Connor tell Osbourne to handle him, which he doesn't, and we duly lose a goal in the second half in exactly the same circumstances!)

We need a leader who can galvanise without losing the head. We need to learn to stop giving the ball away immediately after every kick off (it's not rugby, go backwards if you must). We need to work on fitness (Sproule being case and point). We need to be more proactive with subs. We need to learn how to retain a lead. We need to learn how to take throw-ins.

We need to stop going from two to one midfielders by the end of the game; this leads to defence pressing up, which leads to exposing our lack of pace. The alternative: the defence sits deep and we only have one midfielder up against an oncoming wave of three or four players, with four or five of our own players completely out of the game because we lost the ball.