PDA

View Full Version : this defence will get us relegated

mcfly
26-10-2011, 08:20 PM
no clue, no organisation and im afraid murray is finished.

With this defence we cannot hold onto a lead and im dreading Sat

its gonna be a long long season fellow hibbies

a very interesting AGM awaits and i would think a very uncomfortable night for the manager and the board

Elephant Stone
26-10-2011, 08:21 PM

a very interesting AGM awaits and i would think a very uncomfortable night for the manager and the board

Murray's been OK recently. And you can't really call it 'this defence' when it's had Christ knows how many different combinations. The man who's organising it needs to sort himself out.

AlbertK86
26-10-2011, 08:22 PM
yep they are an absolute shambles. No way we were holding out. January must be used to buy a whole defence.

heretoday
26-10-2011, 08:27 PM
The defence is totally at sea. They need a Rob Jones type to bully them. As for the rest, if they could learn to pass to a green jersey it would be a start.

Once Celtic kept the defence further back after half time Hibs had nothing going forward. O'Connor doesn't seem to be able to beat a man any more.

EasterRoad4Ever
26-10-2011, 08:28 PM

They will find a way of putting a gloss on the turd that is Hibernian Football Club. The current Board have unquestionably destroyed value in the club through poor decision-making, procrastination, lack of courage and lack of vision. in short, I have no confidence in their ability to run this club and fear for our future with these clowns at the helm. They have all had MORE than long enough to sort out this sorry mess, and need to move out of the way to allow someone else (anyone else) to have a go. This is the worse OF teams we have seen in a generation, yet our team and manager still conspire to make them look like world-beaters.

nortonhibby
26-10-2011, 08:33 PM
They will find a way of putting a gloss on the turd that is Hibernian Football Club. The current Board have unquestionably destroyed value in the club through poor decision-making, procrastination, lack of courage and lack of vision. in short, I have no confidence in their ability to run this club and fear for our future with these clowns at the helm. They have all had MORE than long enough to sort out this sorry mess, and need to move out of the way to allow someone else (anyone else) to have a go. This is the worse OF teams we have seen in a generation, yet our team and manager still conspire to make them look like world-beaters.

did you see all the empty seats ? we should have left the stadium bee we will never fill it not with CC And RP In charge.:confused:

hibsbollah
26-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Murray's been OK recently. And you can't really call it 'this defence' when it's had Christ knows how many different combinations. The man who's organising it needs to sort himself out.Youre right. Murrays been OK recently. Because hes been playing against hammer thrower centre forwards and defending against high balls and chucking his body on the line, which he can just about still manage.What you cant do is expect him to hold a high line, play offsides and win footraces against the likes of Hooper and Stokes. You just cant. Its suicide.

Matty_Jack04
26-10-2011, 08:39 PM

what he said!

Pig sick of everything hibs massive changes are needed and not one person at the club just now has shown that there capable of making them.

No confidence

staunchhibby
26-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Tonights attendance shoul surely make the board act before it is to late

MotherSuperior
26-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd like to see Murray rallying the players and generally being more vocal on the pitch. I think he's been one of our better performers at center half, but he appears to go about his business quite quietly. We really need someone to take charge at the back, to kick some Nat king Cole, gee up the team mates, and get things organised.

Liberal Hibby
26-10-2011, 09:05 PM
No it won't. Don't be so silly.

We defended pretty well throughout, but after the two brilliant individual goals they went to sleep and the sending off of Sproule (how many more times!) put extra pressure on them. In fact when Stevenson came on Celtc hardly created anything (althought they weren't really trying by then).

We were clearly the better team for the first half and depended pretty well against probably the top attack in Scotland (and one that is probably paid more than our entire team).

And CC won't be judged against results v the OF so he's not going anywhere tomorrow or at the weekend. But that doesn't mean his coat is not on a shoogly peg.

Judas Iscariot
26-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Defence? What defence?

mcfly
26-10-2011, 09:11 PM

We defended pretty well throughout, but after the two brilliant individual goals they went to sleep and the sending off of Sproule (how many more times!) put extra pressure on them. In fact when Stevenson came on Celtc hardly created anything (althought they weren't really trying by then).

We were clearly the better team for the first half and depended pretty well against probably the top attack in Scotland (and one that is probably paid more than our entire team).

And CC won't be judged against results v the OF so he's not going anywhere tomorrow or at the weekend. But that doesn't mean his coat is not on a shoogly peg.

OK tell me how many clean sheets have we kept this season?? not many and that is why we are in the position we are in.

attendances arent dropping for nothing - fans know we are terrible and change is needed

The Voice Of Reason
26-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Just back - I left before Sproule got sent off.

The bit in bold - for their first goal Victor "Primadonna" Pallson gifted Celtic posession (yes it was a good strike after that).

For their second goal Forrest just waltzed through the defence, nobody dared tackle him.

Credit to Celtic for the comeback, but sadly, for the first 2 goals we were the architects of our own downfall.

YehButNoBut
26-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Colin Calderwood slams Hibs defence after cup defeat to Celtic

"The timing of the goal and the way the game just went away from us, we should be able to defend much better and it is as disappointing as it is disturbing."

"I think we spurned an opportunity for a big result and it is very frustrating."

"At 2-1 down you're still in the game, but we didn't pick up from a throw-in, we didn't pick up from a corner."

"We've let the air out of our own balloon today. We didn't make good decisions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15471659.stm

TheGreenMan
26-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Murray's been OK recently. And you can't really call it 'this defence' when it's had Christ knows how many different combinations. The man who's organising it needs to sort himself out.

You're kidding right?

TheGreenMan
26-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Youre right. Murrays been OK recently. Because hes been playing against hammer thrower centre forwards and defending against high balls and chucking his body on the line, which he can just about still manage.What you cant do is expect him to hold a high line, play offsides and win footraces against the likes of Hooper and Stokes. You just cant. Its suicide.

You're also kidding right?

Hermit Crab
26-10-2011, 09:40 PM
The defence is pash put you can't just blame the boys at the back as defending starts from the front also the midfield is non existent too

essexhibee
26-10-2011, 09:43 PM
No leaders, no commanding leader, useless. We needed a decent CB and that numpty brings in the useless o'Hanlon who gets outjumped by a 5"9 striker.

Archie70
26-10-2011, 09:44 PM
We had the worst defence in the league last season.

Calderwoods answer - replace Dickoh with O'Hanlon.

We've got the worst defence in the league this season.

It was there for all to see but he couldn't make the required improvement. That's why he's not good enough. That's why he has to go.

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Sensible stuff, but unfortunately this messageboard doesn't trade in sensible stuff at the moment.

Twiglet
26-10-2011, 09:51 PM

:agree: Yup, I think Murray's done well, but I fear he is this seasons Colin Nish. No matter what he does, he gets it hard.
It's hard to tell. I would be happy with Stephens at CB with Murray, but Booth at LB. Thought Spoony did alright at RB too.
With Hanlon at LB, I think we need to play a 4-4-2, he need someone in front of him to cover, he's not got the speed to beat players with speed in them.

Diz-Astro, agree with you too. We need someone on the pitch who's going to shout at the other, get them going and lead them. If BB could play football, I'd put him on, he's doing that at the side, if only we had someone do the same on the pitch. Murray's a good leader of the pitch no doubt, but he is infuriatingly quiet on the pitch at time.

Hibby 2005
26-10-2011, 09:56 PM

We never defended at all. 1st half we got lucky, 2nd half we were found out.

Forrest was always the danger and the sensible thing would have been to double up on him, Stevenson and Hanlon being the obvious choices, but CC didn't, even at HT, and that was that.

It's not rocket science although CC might disagree.

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Anyone blaming the defence for tonight is surely kidding themselves. With the exception of the 4th accountability for the goals lay with the midfield, by in large Palsson, who was very poor.

Tonight we were forced into making two changes in the back four which did not help, I think Wotherspoon overall was pretty decent, but was poor at holding the line. Breaking up a winning team for the weekend is miles away from being ideal, but something we had no control over.

PeterboroHibee
26-10-2011, 10:00 PM
The defence is pash put you can't just blame the boys at the back as defending starts from the front also the midfield is non existent too

So true. The defence is a joke but they get little help from the midfield. Hanlon should have done a lot better for the first goal but the way Palsson gave away the ball was pathetic, Celtic pushed quickly and did him or Osbourne make much of an effort to get back? Did they ****!

Andy74
26-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Anyone blaming the defence for tonight is surely kidding themselves. With the exception of the 4th accountability for the goals lay with the midfield, by in large Palsson, who was very poor.

Tonight we were forced into making two changes in the back four which did not help, I think Wotherspoon overall was pretty decent, but was poor at holding the line. Breaking up a winning team for the weekend is miles away from being ideal, but something we had no control over.

I guess there are still no tanks in Baghdad either?

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 10:12 PM
So true. The defence is a joke but they get little help from the midfield. Hanlon should have done a lot better for the first goal but the way Palsson gave away the ball was pathetic, Celtic pushed quickly and did him or Osbourne make much of an effort to get back? Did they ****!

Dont agree the defence was a joke, but I agree the midfield gives them no help (with the exception of Saturday).

Dont know who should have been coming back in from the midfield, but Murray has had to make the diagonal run, then got himself back in, they pushed up so someone from the midfield has been on holiday as they should have been back defending.

Stokes must have been thanking his lucky stars, gifted the ball from Palsson when he hit the post. A free header from Palsson who was marking in the 1st half, giving the ball away for the first, maybe the 2nd(?) and marking him for his goal. A terrible night for Palsson. Believe me I dont want to hammer the boy, and I feel shet for doing it, I just wish he looked like felt as bad!

I do think Osbourne put in a shift and was actually one of our better performers.

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Boring and no substance. I wont waste any more typing time on this.

Wotherspiniesta
26-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Brilliant. Blame Wotherspoon for not holding the line when its his first game in defense in how many months?

Maybe the guy organising the line who played Hooper onside from about the half way line, who is captain, and who has years experience playing in defence should be sorting that kind of thing out?

Defensively, as a unit, we're all over the place week in, week out. Simple things like showing a player onto his weaker side (first goal) stepping up with the rest of the defence (2nd goal) tracking a runner from a cross (3rd goal) and holding a better line (4th goal). Sometimes you get beat by a great bit of skill, but we seem to get beat by severely naive defending. Constantly. Calderwood, as an ex-defender should be ****ing embarassed by our defense.

matty_f
26-10-2011, 10:28 PM

"The timing of the goal and the way the game just went away from us, we should be able to defend much better and it is as disappointing as it is disturbing."

"I think we spurned an opportunity for a big result and it is very frustrating."

"At 2-1 down you're still in the game, but we didn't pick up from a throw-in, we didn't pick up from a corner."

"We've let the air out of our own balloon today. We didn't make good decisions."

Calderwood's spot on with his analysis there. As much as CC has to take responsibility for the defeat, it must be hugely frustrating to lose the type of goals we did tonight after such a good first half performance.

Jonnyboy
26-10-2011, 10:31 PM

We never do. We're appalling at both defending and taking throw in's

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Brilliant. Blame Wotherspoon for not holding the line when its his first game in defense in how many months?

Maybe the guy organising the line who played Hooper onside from about the half way line, who is captain, and who has years experience playing in defence should be sorting that kind of thing out?

Defensively, as a unit, we're all over the place week in, week out. Simple things like showing a player onto his weaker side (first goal) stepping up with the rest of the defence (2nd goal) tracking a runner from a cross (3rd goal) and holding a better line (4th goal). Sometimes you get beat by a great bit of skill, but we seem to get beat by severely naive defending. Constantly. Calderwood, as an ex-defender should be ****ing embarassed by our defense.

Relax wee guy, I did compliment Wotherspoon.

1st goal, I would perhaps agree, second goal yes perhaps, but it was wotherspoon that was playing everyone on side, in any event I think the 2nd was down to the midfield not tracking back. the third was a midfielder defending a set piece, and agreed the 4th was poor in terms of holding the line as two of our defenders played him on side.

I have been of the same view since pretty much the start of the season, the midfield and strikers offer little as a defensive unit. On Saturday it was the first time I have seen us work really hard, and in fairness the scorline tonight makes us forget the fact that we played really well in the first half, including working hard as a team. Unfortunatley it all fell apart in the 2nd half, an early goal most disappointingly from our centre.

Andy74
26-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Boring and no substance. I wont waste any more typing time on this.

Excellent. You've described your posts far better than I ever could.

blackpoolhibs
26-10-2011, 10:40 PM

With Andys mention of tanks in Baghdad, and your failure to recognise this defence can do any wrong, i have a new name for you. Comical Albion, my avater should help you remember that every time you see it.

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Excellent. You've described your posts far better than I ever could.

Are you a frustrated stand up comedian? One of those ones that just chucks out random one-liners.

Hibby 2005
26-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Calderwood's spot on with his analysis there. As much as CC has to take responsibility for the defeat, it must be hugely frustrating to lose the type of goals we did tonight after such a good first half performance.

"We didn't make good decisions".

I'm guessing he's talking about the team and not himself?

Had he addressed things at HT we might have been looking at a trip to Hampden.

He is either engineering a move away or is just a bad Manager. I can't make up my mind.

HNA1
26-10-2011, 10:48 PM

With Andys mention of tanks in Baghdad, and your failure to recognise this defence can do any wrong, i have a new name for you. Comical Albion, my avater should help you remember that every time you see it.

Are you a frustrated stand up comedian? One of those ones that just chucks out random one-liners.

Guys, can you keep this on topic please. Don't want to have to close the thread because it goes off on a tangent of wee digs here and there. Discuss the topic, don't start on the personal stuff.

matty_f
26-10-2011, 10:49 PM
"We didn't make good decisions".

I'm guessing he's talking about the team and not himself?

Had he addressed things at HT we might have been looking at a trip to Hampden.

He is either engineering a move away or is just a bad Manager. I can't make up my mind.

To be honest, there isn't much I'd have changed after that first half. We were the better team and although we'd have been expecting a bit more from Celtc in the second half, the system was by and large working, and the players were doing well.

Albion Hibs
26-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Guys, can you keep this on topic please. Don't want to have to close the thread because it goes off on a tangent of wee digs here and there. Discuss the topic, don't start on the personal stuff.

Well said.

blackpoolhibs
26-10-2011, 10:54 PM
To be honest, there isn't much I'd have changed after that first half. We were the better team and although we'd have been expecting a bit more from Celtc in the second half, the system was by and large working, and the players were doing well.

I'd say there was not much in it in the first half, we missed a very good chance, and they missed 2 or 3. The 2nd was a different matter, well the 25 minutes i actually saw. We cant defend, all over the park, never mind the defence.

Who in their right mind would put money on at the bookies, that we will keep a clean sheet in any game? I cant even be bothered looking, but when was the last one, have we had many?

Wotherspiniesta
26-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Relax wee guy, I did compliment Wotherspoon.

1st goal, I would perhaps agree, second goal yes perhaps, but it was wotherspoon that was playing everyone on side, in any event I think the 2nd was down to the midfield not tracking back. the third was a midfielder defending a set piece, and agreed the 4th was poor in terms of holding the line as two of our defenders played him on side.

I have been of the same view since pretty much the start of the season, the midfield and strikers offer little as a defensive unit. On Saturday it was the first time I have seen us work really hard, and in fairness the scorline tonight makes us forget the fact that we played really well in the first half, including working hard as a team. Unfortunatley it all fell apart in the 2nd half, an early goal most disappointingly from our centre.

I'm fairly relaxed Mrs Murray, Cheers.

Right, so you agree with me about the first two goals. I'm aware it was Wotherspoon that got caught out of position but well done for bringing up the only thing he done wrong pretty much all game twice now. He was at fault for that, I agree. As far as I'm concerned, when it's a corner, everyone is a defender, so wether it be a midfielder, a defender, or a centre forward picking Stokes up, it doesn't matter because it should be worked on in training (as a defense) to prevent the attacker getting a free header 6 yards out. In terms of the 4th goal. That's Murray's fault. He's the one who should be controlling how high a line we play as he is not only the only experienced defender out there, but also the captain. He played Hooper onside so therefore he's to blame.

Andy74
26-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Well said.

Oh dear.

matty_f
26-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I'd say there was not much in it in the first half, we missed a very good chance, and they missed 2 or 3. The 2nd was a different matter, well the 25 minutes i actually saw. We cant defend, all over the park, never mind the defence.

Who in their right mind would put money on at the bookies, that we will keep a clean sheet in any game? I cant even be bothered looking, but when was the last one, have we had many?

Last clean sheet was the 0-0 with the sheep. We never look like keeping a clean sheet. Our defending all over the park is poor.

Crab apple
26-10-2011, 11:09 PM
We had the worst defence in the league last season.

Calderwoods answer - replace Dickoh with O'Hanlon.

We've got the worst defence in the league this season.

It was there for all to see but he couldn't make the required improvement. That's why he's not good enough. That's why he has to go.

:agree: To not properly address this aspect of the team when it was so obviously deficient last season was inexcusable IMHO.