PDA

View Full Version : NHC Daily Mail - footballers who suffer racist abuse should "just put up with it"

Northernhibee
26-10-2011, 05:58 PM
http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2011/10/just-put-up-with-it.html (not going to link to the actual story ad give them funding through advertising).

Mail columnist Steve Doughty has suggested that "Every club seems to be promoting a kick racism out of football campaign, beyond the point of boredom.", "there are worse things to complain about." and "So, Mr Evra and Mr Ferdinand, I know you feel insulted. But perhaps in this case you could just put up with it and get on with the game."

I'm sure every decent Hibee on this board will find this article absolutely despicable.

I keep thinking that the Mail can't sink lower, and lo and behold, it does.

**** the Daily Mail.

hibsbollah
26-10-2011, 06:32 PM
'Hurrah for the Blackshirts' they said. Not much has changed in 75 years.

BenjiOscar
26-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Stan Collymore tweeted this yesterday evening specifically referring to the final paragraph. Absolutely outrageous that this kind of comment is published in a national newspaper. Basically implying that those subject to racist abuse should just put up with it. Surely there has to be a full retraction and apology in tomorrow's edition?

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I keep thinking that the Mail can't sink lower, and lo and behold, it does.

**** the Daily Mail.

:agree:

They plumb depths that Jacques Cousteau would be proud of.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I am surprised that they didn't run this in their leader column.

Onceinawhile
26-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Absolutely disgusting.

Future17
26-10-2011, 08:29 PM
There's folk on here who think that racism in football isn't a problem or that we have "bigger problems" that we should care about.

I think I've had at least 4 different folk sitting in the same vicinity as me at home games this season who have racially abused players on both teams, including tonight.

Leicester Fan
26-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Stan Collymore tweeted this yesterday evening specifically referring to the final paragraph. Absolutely outrageous that this kind of comment is published in a national newspaper. Basically implying that those subject to racist abuse should just put up with it. Surely there has to be a full retraction and apology in tomorrow's edition?

Stan Collymore had to leave Leicester after a black player knocked him out at half time during a reserve match after he'd called him a lazy black b**tard.

nonshinyfinish
26-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Stan Collymore had to leave Leicester after a black player knocked him out at half time during a reserve match after he'd called him a lazy black b**tard.

Stan Collymore was also caught dogging, but that doesn't change the fact that the Mail article's author's attitude to racism is utterly deplorable.

Northernhibee
26-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Stan Collymore was also caught dogging, but that doesn't change the fact that the Mail article's author's attitude to racism is utterly deplorable.

Article's been removed, but thanks to anti-tabloid blogs like Angry Mob and Tabloid Watch, it's still on the web in all its offensive 'glory'.

"

I took my elderly mother to watch a game at Highbury for the last time before they knocked it down… In the second half Arsenal sent on an African forward called Kanu. Kanu could either be brilliant or spend all afternoon falling over the ball. On this occasion he kept falling over the ball. A youngish bloke sitting in front of us lost his temper after one particularly ludicrous pratfall and yelled, at the top of his voice, something about ‘you black b*****d’.
There was a terrible silence.
The bloke leaped up and wheeled round 180 degrees in the same movement, shoved his face straight in front of my mother’s, and said in firm and formal tones: ‘I’m terribly sorry about the racist comment.’
You could not imagine such a thing happening at a football match 30 years ago."

Yep - it's okay because racists apologise to old women after making despicable comments.

The Daily Mail can remove articles all they want, but it will never change the fact that someone saw fit to publish that.

Beefster
26-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Article's been removed, but thanks to anti-tabloid blogs like Angry Mob and Tabloid Watch, it's still on the web in all its offensive 'glory'.

It's still on the Mail website. It's in the 'opinion' bit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2052843/John-Terry-racism-row-Anton-Ferdinand-game.html#ixzz1bncCOArY

ScottB
27-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Racist, reactionary garbage that thing (I refuse to call it a newspaper).

Never changed, never will.

Phil D. Rolls
27-10-2011, 10:18 AM
The sad thing is the Mail is only pandering to their readership, which is obviously large enough to keep a national newspaper going. The article is beyond contempt, but sadly reflects the opinion of a lot of people.

Disc O'Dave
27-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I did have the laugh last week when I was on a week's holiday in the Riviera del Sol....

A chap who owned an appartment in the complex we were in, was sat by the pool all day, reading his Daily Mail emblazened with headlines about "Getting Us Out Of Europe"

joebakerforever
27-10-2011, 01:59 PM
'Hurrah for the Blackshirts' they said. Not much has changed in 75 years.

Very true, and all they need is white cloaks and pointy hats for a corporate uniform.

yeezus.
27-10-2011, 02:03 PM
The hate Mail makes me want to vomit.

:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
27-10-2011, 02:10 PM
The sad thing is the Mail is only pandering to their readership, which is obviously large enough to keep a national newspaper going. The article is beyond contempt, but sadly reflects the opinion of a lot of people. Interesting question. Are papers like that 'pandering' to their readers because the readers have those views, or are the readers influenced by the negativity they are drip fed day to day? It depends on the individual but i guess its mostly the latter. People mostly buy the same paper out of habit. A subtle change in editorial policy probably wouldnt even be noticed after a few weeks.

Geo_1875
27-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Interesting question. Are papers like that 'pandering' to their readers because the readers have those views, or are the readers influenced by the negativity they are drip fed day to day? It depends on the individual but i guess its mostly the latter. People mostly buy the same paper out of habit. A subtle change in editorial policy probably wouldnt even be noticed after a few weeks.

I think you overstate the influence of the "printed" media. I imagine that a greater influence on people's politics is their family. By the time people are old enough to vote or pick a newspaper they are usually indoctrinated.

hibbytam
27-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I think you overstate the influence of the "printed" media. I imagine that a greater influence on people's politics is their family. By the time people are old enough to vote or pick a newspaper they are usually indoctrinated.

Yes but rags like the Daily Mail provide them with ammunition and act as a re-enforcement to their beliefs.

ScottB
27-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Yes but rags like the Daily Mail provide them with ammunition and act as a re-enforcement to their beliefs.

The Daily Mail regularly prints fabricated nonsense, such as the recent claim the BBC had banned use of BC / AD, or countless stories about the EU etc etc. When they get caught out they usually just delete the story, like with todays 'opinion' piece. Last one I remember coming across was from their history 'expert' who questioned what Britain gained by fighting the Second World War.

Nazi apologists then, reactionary, hate mongering purveyors of bullsh*t now.

The_Todd
27-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Daily Mail condoning racism? Well blow me down.

Leicester Fan
27-10-2011, 04:48 PM

He also claimed to have been racially abused by some rugby players in Dublin once and then had to admit he made it up and he beat up Ulrika Jonsson.
If you're going to deplore someone's morals it's better not to quote someone whose morals are lower than a snakes testicles.

BryanV
27-10-2011, 04:59 PM
He also claimed to have been racially abused by some rugby players in Dublin once and then had to admit he made it up and he beat up Ulrika Jonsson.
If you're going to deplore someone's morals it's better not to quote someone whose morals are lower than a snakes testicles.

I am not quite sure what point you are making, I don't think any of the commenters in this thread are basing their dislike of the Mail article on what Collymore said. Nobody was using the quote from Collymore as support for their point, or suggesting that he is an unimpeachable authority on the issue.

NOLA
27-10-2011, 05:32 PM
its the daily mail, as right wing as youll find. lots of previous through the years.