PDA

View Full Version : Confused?

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I heard quite a lot a while back about how lucky we were in certain games. And how our league position did not represent the results we got.

Can someone give me the definitive answer on lucky please, and have we been lucky or unlucky this season, and is our league position about right, or are we punching above or below what our performances have been?

hugo boss
23-10-2011, 01:18 PM
we seem to get punished for every mistake....still think defence is dodgy,u make your own luck

yeezus.
23-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Dodgy defence and a careless midefield. No urgency to the team. Take the 2-1 home defeat to St Mirren for example, Palsson f***** up in a position he never should of being playing in = we lost a goal because of that disposession.

Unlucky isn't the word, daft is.

hugo boss
23-10-2011, 01:27 PM
very true andrew ball retension is shocking as is our throw ins we seem to panic times

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I heard quite a lot a while back about how lucky we were in certain games. And how our league position did not represent the results we got.

Can someone give me the definitive answer on lucky please, and have we been lucky or unlucky this season, and is our league position about right, or are we punching above or below what our performances have been?

Luck is directly proportional to a persons Doom and Gloom Quotient. The higher your "D&G index", the luckier we have been.

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Luck doesn't come into it. We've straddled the zones of mediocre and Tom Kite. When you're as consistently poor as we have been for a year under Calderwood, and the last six months of Hughes, you can't even reference 'luck' in the equation.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Luck is directly proportional to a persons Doom and Gloom Quotient. The higher your "D&G index", the luckier we have been.

Is that right? Strange then how some folk think we were ssssooooooo lucky to finish 4th, yet i did not. And i'm the original D&G champion apparently?

marinello59
23-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Is that right? Strange then how some folk think we were ssssooooooo lucky to finish 4th, yet i did not. And i'm the original D&G champion apparently?

Why didn't you label this thread ''Fishing'' rather than ''Confused''? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Why didn't you label this thread ''Fishing'' rather than ''Confused''? :greengrin

Perhaps that should have been the title, but i would like to know just which way i'm supposed to think regarding this lucky tag? As it does seem to change depending on the agenda dont you think? :wink:

marinello59
23-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Perhaps that should have been the title, but i would like to know just which way i'm supposed to think regarding this lucky tag? As it does seem to change depending on the agenda dont you think? :wink:

:tee hee:

I don't believe a teams league position is down to luck at all, a team gets what they deserve over the course of a season.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 02:15 PM
:tee hee:

I don't believe a teams league position is down to luck at all, a team gets what they deserve over the course of a season.

This. :agree:

greenlex
23-10-2011, 02:27 PM
This. :agree:

You did notice the "over the course of the season" bit? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 02:30 PM
You did notice the "over the course of the season" bit? :greengrin

Yes i did, you did see the lucky to finish 4th bit? :wink:

greenlex
23-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Yes i did, you did see the lucky to finish 4th bit? :wink:

Of course but we were unluckynot to finish 3rd.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Of course but we were unluckynot to finish 3rd.:confused:

My thoughts exactly. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Or are they? :greengrin

500miles
23-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Ever notice that the wee cliques on this forum who vary between moods of self congratulation, communal fellation and sniping? It's a strange sort of party politics, as if it were run by 11 year old girls, perpetrated, in the main, by middle aged men, who probably come on here cos they can't win an arguement in thier own household.

Sad really.

greenlex
23-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Ever notice that the wee cliques on this forum who vary between moods of self congratulation, communal fellation and sniping? It's a strange sort of party politics, as if it were run by 11 year old girls, perpetrated, in the main, by middle aged men, who probably come on here cos they can't win an arguement in thier own household.

Sad really.

Nope.

marinello59
23-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Sad really.

That'll be me then. Sadly I can't win an argument here either. Pity, because then I could wallow in my own sense of superiority to the other users on here. :na na:

heidtheba
23-10-2011, 04:12 PM
That'll be me then. Sadly I can't win an argument here either. Pity, because then I could wallow in my own sense of superiority to the other users on here. :na na:

Och don't you know the old tricks to win an online argument?

Defcon 1 - Say things repeatedly (bonus points if you don't actually change the text at all)
2 - Underline or bold it.
3 - Write the word 'FACT' after you've made your case - only in capital letters please
4 - Write it like this "FACT"
and then, the 'no-holds barred'
5 - FACT

Simples!

heidtheba
23-10-2011, 04:24 PM
More seriously though, someone made a comment about us 'making our own luck' and that is very true but I think we also have to take into consideration how our club is seen right now by fans, the team and the opposition. I remember watching Hibs come back at Abderdeen back in 94-95 and when we equalised I'd never felt so confident that all we were going to do is win, which we did. Now, however, its the opposite. That ruddy 6-6 game at Motherwell was what clinched it for me - we went 6-2 up (is that right) and even then I didn't see us winning it. If I have that as a 'part-time fan' then what do the regulars have and the team has had that nervousness in all the matches I've seen since... Not only do we have that mentality, the opposition gear up thinking they are going to get a result. How many teams have we played who have also been on a goal scoring or winless streak, they turn up here and 'woohoo' 3 points in the bag.

TornadoHibby
23-10-2011, 04:43 PM

:dunno: :smokin :clapper: :rolleyes:

Really don't know what to make of this! :confused:

Probably best not to get involved as this "question" can never be resolved since it's not fact based I suspect! :wink: :greengrin

Opinions eh? :wink:

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2011, 05:15 PM

It was meant to be a light hearted, but there is truth behind it.

Generally speaking, if your outlook is that of those disposed towards wallowing in our wretchedness, then when good things happen we're lucky. If you think we're going on the right direction, then "you make your own luck". You opinion of how lucky we are will depend entirely upon your predisposition to thinking we'll do ok. If you think we're lucky to win games, you'll remember the last minute goal we scramble but forget all the other chances made and missed.

Luck is something that doesn't really exist - it's just probability at work. The more chances you make, the more will go in (luck), the more will hit the post or bounce of the keeper (nae luck). In a single game the statistics can be highly anomalous, but, as the saying goes, it really does even out over the course of a season.

matty_f
23-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't think we're as bad as was made out after the Motherwell game. That particular game was a shocker and the players and management rightly came in for some stick from it. However, we've had two losses since our defeat to the Yams back in August, and those losses have come against the teams in the top 2 positions in the league, and both defeats have been by a single goal.

Were we lucky yesterday? Depends on your point of view, I suppose. However the league table shows us as level on points with Killie, a team that has gained many plaudits this season, and a point behind St Mirren (the team we just beat) - again another team that have taken a lot of praise this season.

We're maybe not as bad as we've been making out? If it was down to luck, we'd have been found out because this season we have had (IMHO) much more bad luck than good. Much more. I reckon we've been a very unlucky team, so if we've been that rank, and really unlucky, I would have thought out points total would have been much worse.

I don't think we're a good side, though. Not yet. But we're improving in most matches save for a blip here and there. The Motherwell game was a sore one, no arguing it. We were good against Rangers, though, and we were good against St Johnstone. We've had good spells in other games as well, but it's easy to forget those in the hysteria and hand-wringing that follows a performance and a defeat like we had last week. I am as guilty as the next person for getting caught up in it.

There is more to come from this Hibs side, IMHO. I certainly hope that CC has been spending time getting potential defensive signings lined up, as if our defence was as strong as our attack I reckon we'd be sitting much higher up the table than we are now. CC should, of course, have sorted this out in the summer when he had the chance, but he'll get another opportunity in January to shore it up, and if he can finish the season strongly then I'll take our 'lucky' position now, because it's put us in a good position to take advantage of a strong finish.

MrSmith
23-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Well for me its like this:

1. We cannae pass the ball
2. We have a non-existent midfield
3. We are no very good at basic football
4. We cannae defend
5. No many players who can play never mind want to play
6. We are simply p!sh!!

Luck or no luck we are exactly where we should be in terms of league placing. Actually I think our league placing belies our form!

We are simply a club in a major football crisis with no one capable of fixing it!

500miles
23-10-2011, 06:00 PM

One doesn't wallow in superiority. One basks.

ancient hibee
23-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think it's luck that over the last 6 games we have a better record than 5 other teams.

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Well for me its like this:

1. We cannae pass the ball. Not true
2. We have a non-existent midfield Not true
3. We are no very good at basic football Not true
4. We cannae defend Not true
5. No many players who can play never mind want to play Not true
6. We are simply p!sh!! Not true
Luck or no luck we are exactly where we should be in terms of league placing. Actually I think our league placing belies our form! So no contradiction in those two sentences then...
We are simply a club in a major football crisis with no one capable of fixing it! Oh woe is me. Doom, doom doom and despair...

Some of what you say may be true in little parts. Passes will be misplaced (point 1), shots will be off target (point 3), tackles will be missed (point 4), we dont have players who are technically as gifted as, say Mowbrays team (point 5), but seriously, whats the point in you even being a Hibby, or claiming to be one, if it clearly causes you so much despair and loathing. Take up knitting or something. Your thuddingly blunt analysis adds nothing whatsoever.

MrSmith
23-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Some of what you say may be true in little parts. Passes will be misplaced (point 1), shots will be off target (point 3), tackles will be missed (point 4), we dont have players who are technically as gifted as, say Mowbrays team (point 5), but seriously, whats the point in you even being a Hibby, or claiming to be one, if it clearly causes you so much despair and loathing. Take up knitting or something. Your thuddingly blunt analysis adds nothing whatsoever.

Get a grip!

And I suppose your does and no contradiction there either eh!

Jonnyboy
23-10-2011, 07:51 PM
The absolute definition of luck is that you weren't born a Jambo. Simples

smurf
23-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Love it!

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Get a grip!

And I suppose your does and no contradiction there either eh!

You made six points, all of which - in the absolutist terms in which you have stated them - are demonstrably nonsense. I'll recap them but change them so they make sense:

1. We have players who can pass the ball, but the number of times we lose posession is probably more than it should be from careless passing.
2. We have a midfield that is completely changed from last yer for the most part, and is starting show somes signs of being effective
3. We have a team who are capapble of basic errors but also of creating goals. The latter tends to need a grasp of basic football
4. We've conceded too many goals, undoubtedly, but the signs are there - not fast enought maybe, but its not just defenders who defend - its the whole team. Getting the midfield balance right is the key to this.
5. Lots of players who can play at a decent level, and I dont see evidence of not trying. Its very clear that they're doing what they've been told - either press the back line (as per Saturday), or sit in at half way and let them work across the back line waiting on them to try stuff (Rangers) - the latter may not be the "gung-ho" in their face you like and presumably think of as trying, but dont confuse your lack of understanding with not trying.
6. Some games have been joyless to watch, not disputing it. We're not as good as we were 6-10 years ago, but we're p!sh? Nah.

And no, I dont think there were any contradictions in my post, and yes, my post made more sense than yours.

You could have saved everyone a bit of time by just posting "I hate Hibs", because that seems to be what your point is.

MrSmith
24-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Get over yourself!

I never once stated I hated Hibs! I'm extremely concerned by the lack of ability and fitness within this team at the precise moment! However, if you are happy to bumble along thinking everything is fine and dandy then go ahead - I know which one of us is damaging the club more!

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2011, 03:04 PM

It's all in the gene pool, John.

Some were born to ingest asbestos and interfere with children.

Thankfully, we were predisposed the other way.

ancient hibee
24-10-2011, 05:59 PM
It's all in the gene pool, John.

Some were born to ingest asbestos and interfere with children.

Thankfully, we were predisposed the other way.

What-ingest children and interfere with asbestos-scary.