PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Football

Billy Whizz
23-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I wonder what game they might choose to trial this?
Perhaps the St Johnstone game on 21st January as crowds are generally low at this time of year?
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/hibs_get_a_kick_out_of_fridays_1_1925417

Makaveli
23-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Friday nights for me are better than early Sunday KOs, but Sundays are usually big games and the LBPD wouldn't be keen on policing any of them on a Friday night.

I dunno if there's much point moving a 'normal' game to a Friday. Novelty value maybe, but it means even less Saturday 3PMs.

Frazerbob
23-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Friday nights for me are better than early Sunday KOs, but Sundays are usually big games and the LBPD wouldn't be keen on policing any of them on a Friday night.

I dunno if there's much point moving a 'normal' game to a Friday. Novelty value maybe, but it means even less Saturday 3PMs.

Sunday games are for the TV (or following a Thursday Euro tie). The move to Friday would mean ANOTHER Saturday 3pm game being lost but without good reason.

No thanks from me. Saturdays are for football!

Westie1875
23-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Sunday games are for the TV (or following a Thursday Euro tie). The move to Friday would mean ANOTHER Saturday 3pm game being lost but without good reason.

No thanks from me. Saturdays are for football!

This is what I don't get, why are they trying to move more matches when people are already moaning about missing out on Sat 3pm fixtures, if it was instead of the lunchtime weekend K/Os then fair enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

H18sry
23-10-2011, 10:18 AM
http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=OJEHMN_5b7f705a&UID=1412666393 :wink:

Gatecrasher
23-10-2011, 10:21 AM
if its for tv i get it but moving games for the sake of it is just daft, this idea needs to fall on its arse imo

Is this another example of our board being completely out of touch considering one of the main gripes on here is games being moved?

Hibs Class
23-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Saturdays are for football, or sundays at a push. Regular friday fixtures would see me dropping the season ticket as work would prevent me going on a reasonably regular basis.

Westie1875
23-10-2011, 10:35 AM
if its for tv i get it but moving games for the sake of it is just daft, this idea needs to fall on its arse imo

Is this another example of our board being completely out of touch considering one of the main gripes on here is games being moved?

Seems that way, you have to wonder what goes through their heads.

joebakerforever
23-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Would it be possible for Hibs to provide a questionnaire to the home support when they go through the turnstile on match day ?

Should provide an accurate response to the acceptability of Friday evening football, rather than guessing or using focus groups.

Joe Baker II
24-10-2011, 01:33 PM
This is what I don't get, why are they trying to move more matches when people are already moaning about missing out on Sat 3pm fixtures, if it was instead of the lunchtime weekend K/Os then fair enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Precisely, Friday nights are preferable to early kick offs but replacing 3pm Saturday fixtures is just lunacy.

LancashireHibby
24-10-2011, 01:35 PM
http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=OJEHMN_5b7f705a&UID=1412666393 :wink:

Nice one, just done it and glad they included 'lack of public transport' as an option.

Seveno
24-10-2011, 05:12 PM
More messing about with fixture lists wil just drive more people away from football. The more free Saturdays that some people have, the more likely that they will find other things to do on a permanent basis.

As a season ticket holder, I paid my money up front to watch football on a Saturday. I can't manage on a Friday and would be totally p&@@ed off if I had to miss a game.

Billy Whizz
24-10-2011, 05:37 PM
What would be interesting is if Hibs fans would prefer Friday night ito Sunday lunchtime?

Barney McGrew
24-10-2011, 05:41 PM
The only games that will be moved to Friday nights are crappy category B ones because the last thing the Police/Sky/ESPN would want is an evening kick off on a Friday for a derby or OF game.

And you can bet that you'd get a smaller attendance on a Friday night than a Saturday 3pm kick off so I can't really see what Hibs could hope to gain from it.

Billy Whizz
24-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I'd be up for Hibs v Dunfermline at ER on a Friday night.
However I live locally and travel wouldn't hit me

bruno
24-10-2011, 05:56 PM
More messing about with fixture lists wil just drive more people away from football. The more free Saturdays that some people have, the more likely that they will find other things to do on a permanent basis. As a season ticket holder, I paid my money up front to watch football on a Saturday. I can't manage on a Friday and would be totally p&@@ed off if I had to miss a game. With all due respect nobody buys their season ticket up front to expect football on a Saturday. I don't agree with friday night football either but none of us should be naivie enough to only expect football on a saturday. The clubs will lose out as more fans that are disillusioned with times football is played will stop buying season tickets and pay on a game by game basis. When fans do that it is only natural they will miss more games especially if the football being served up is poor. Sunday was prime example for me I had to arrange my kids football game for an early kick off to make tynecastle by 12.30. Had i not had season ticket I wouldn.t have bothered forking out the 40 quid for me and son to race from morning game i would just relaxed and watched in house.

H18sry
24-10-2011, 06:35 PM
With all due respect nobody buys their season ticket up front to expect football on a Saturday. I don't agree with friday night football either but none of us should be naivie enough to only expect football on a saturday. The clubs will lose out as more fans that are disillusioned with times football is played will stop buying season tickets and pay on a game by game basis. When fans do that it is only natural they will miss more games especially if the football being served up is poor. Sunday was prime example for me I had to arrange my kids football game for an early kick off to make tynecastle by 12.30. Had i not had season ticket I wouldn.t have bothered forking out the 40 quid for me and son to race from morning game i would just relaxed and watched in house.

How is the hole in your asbestos ridden roof?:wink:

jakki
24-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't do evening games. I have missed one game off my ST due to the St. Johnstone one being moved to accommodate the Sunderland game.I wouldn't welcome Friday evening games :grr:

hibeenicol
24-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I would rather have a game on a friday night than one on a saturday or sunday morning, It would also be better if they told us the friday fixtures from the start of the season rather than changing fixtures throughout the season.

bruno
24-10-2011, 07:59 PM
How is the hole in your asbestos ridden roof?:wink: Thanks for your constructive addition to the debate on Friday night football

McSwanky
24-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your constructive addition to the debate on Friday night football Ooh, get you! No need to go all Paul Hartley on us...

Franck is God
25-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Did the Aberdeen game that they trialled it with not get a bigger crowd that the previous home game which was played on the Saturday at 3pm?

I for one would rather go on a Friday night than a Sunday lunch time, I do like evening games though, seeing a game under floodlights is brilliant.

Our last game was on a Saturday afternoon after a two week gap without a game and after a home win and a narrow defeat at Ibrox against the team 2nd in the league, it didn't exactly attract a bumber crowd so I'm not surprised in the slightest that Hibs would look into something like this.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Probably the cynic in me, coming to the surface, but i am guessing that we won't see any ICT v OF Friday night experiments?

H18sry
25-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your constructive addition to the debate on Friday night football

If you have a good look through the thread you will find that I posted the link to the survey :na na:

And you never answered my question, how is the hole in your asbestos ridden roof? :asshole: