PDA

View Full Version : cant decide

Allant1981
22-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Really itching to take my son to his first hibs game but not sure if he is still to young. He is only 3. Having not been in this position before i dunno if he will end up being bored and want to go home. Did anyone else take their kids at this age and was it a waste of time?

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Has he been misbehaving?

tanfield
22-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Really itching to take my son to his first hibs game but not sure if he is still to young. He is only 3. Having not been in this position before i dunno if he will end up being bored and want to go home. Did anyone else take their kids at this age and was it a waste of time?

I took my son when he was four and he was bored a bit although he sat on his seat for the duration. Make sure he doesn't have too much juice or you will be back and forward to the toilets all game :greengrin

IWasThere2016
22-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Too young IMHO. Oldest one went at 5 under Lexo when we battered Jags, Pars 5-0 - he was mare interested in the pre-match McDonalds and post match fish supper! He also still expects - at 22 - that we should 5 zip every week! That said his last game was CIS Final!

Younger one went at 8 when he was at least interested in the game. Sadly he's lost to the Arabs, and we're there today as they've written to him (aged 11 - WTF) to invite him + parent into the boardroom/trophy room/behind the scenes at 2pm. For some reason he's not keen to go!

BroxburnHibee
22-10-2011, 08:37 AM
First took my son at 3 - it was the Kilmarnock game when Deek scored a hat trick.

He enjoyed that although I'm not sure how much he knew was going on.:greengrin

He'll enjoy the day out with his Dad - thats the important part - take him :agree:

Spike Mandela
22-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Too young. He won't sit still, will need constant things to distract him, food, drink, toys but even then he'll want to wander the rows picking up any old ****. You won't relax, will be back and forward to the toilet and you will never see the end of the game.

But hey, it beats shopping. Have a nice day!:greengrin

Allant1981
22-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Just asked him and he started jumping about telling the mrs he is going to the football so looks like we are going. Might be a long day!!!

sundo1875
22-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I think it depends on the person, for example if your son likes football and likes hibs then take him, but if he's not that interested in football just now I wouldn't bother

Viva_Palmeiras
22-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Took my son at 3. His attention lasted 16 mins then it was time to read Thomas the tank engine magazine.
I'd say probably too young.
If you do go make it a hibs kids game - you can join on the day and get a cheaper ticket all in all it works out cheaper that way so if your son bails out you've not burned as much dosh.

I didn't plan to take my son until later but we live near the ground and henwas always going on about it - thing the mystery of dad going to this big place intrigued I didn't encourage or force him.

I've taken my son 3 times he's now 4. The last time to the 3-3 game (sorry minds mush) and he complained about the noise when we scored.

I'd say wait but if you must break in gently no OF or derbies and I'd keep it to the famous five stand

I'd also say get a ticket on the day from the office that way you can also judge whether he'll be ok in bigger crowds than usual and make a call if he's spooked
Good luck.

PISTOL1875
22-10-2011, 09:03 AM
If you want to the poor wee guy to have nightmares then by all means take him...

IWasThere2016
22-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Just asked him and he started jumping about telling the mrs he is going to the football so looks like we are going. Might be a long day!!!

Good luck - hope he's good and enjoys it :thumbsup:

You can apologise to him in later life :wink: when he understands - let's hope he forgives too :greengrin

Billy Whizz
22-10-2011, 09:20 AM
To take him on a regular basis would be hard on both of you. However the odd game or two would be a good idea to introduce him to football. I would suggest that you make sure it's not too cold for him and take a few things to keep him occupied. A 4 year old sits near to me at ER and usually by the start of the 2nd half he's bored and his dad brings out a computer game for him

Hainan Hibs
22-10-2011, 09:21 AM
If you can put up with the eventual visit from social services then go right ahead:greengrin

silverhibee
22-10-2011, 09:22 AM

I used to take my son at that age to home and away games, wasn,t to bad, go for it i think wee will need as many supporters as wee can today, can your son boooooo. :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
22-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Toys, magazine, distractions, food and cousins are good to have one stand by if possible good luck!
Maybe pick up "sunshine" from the hibs shop en route

CallumLaidlaw
22-10-2011, 09:25 AM
My son is 7 in February, and I have been asking him to games for just over a year now. It is only the last 2 months he has started getting into it. His favourite things are still his pre match coke in the pub, and his steak pie at half time tho. He likes sitting near the singing section in the east, and now joins in with some of the songs. His favourite being "if you hate the flipping jambs clap your hands" :wink:

lucky
22-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Start them young to get the bug but with this team the bug will make you ill.

Twiglet
22-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Take a piece of plain paper and even just a biro. The first season i sat where i am now the 2 wee boys behind me were really bored. I whipped out some blank paper and some pens (much to theirbparents/garndparents amusment) and asked them 2 draw me a picture of their favourite part of the game. It kept them amused for the rest of the game, but still made them take notice of what was happening on the pitch.

LancashireHibby
22-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Take plenty of things to keep him occupied. Took my lad to the Blackpool away game last year shortly before he turned 3 and he took a sporadic interest in the game in between flicking through a comic and spent the next 6 months running round the house shouting "Deeko, Deeko".

He's come to a few rugby games this season and can get restless at times so I'd suggest getting seats on the end of the row so you're not bothering anyone else when he starts to get bored.

AlbertK86
22-10-2011, 09:39 AM
My laddie was 4 when I first took him and it was the Festival Cup against the Jambos where a very young Scott Brown made one of his first if not his first appearance. He loved it especially the atmosphere at the big games. We used to go regularly after that and in particular during the Mowbray years. He was at several hampden disasters and once said through tears 'are Hibs ever going to win a game at Hampden !' Eventually we won the CIS against Kilmarnock and he still says it was one of the best days of his life. He trained with Hibs youth for six months just after that and wanted to see them as much as he could.

He very rarely goes now as quote about two years ago 'Dad they can't even pass the ball to their own men even when they're only about 10 metres apart'

The last game he was at was when Ross County outplayed us in the cup at Easter Road. His weekend is now full of sporting activities and he would rather do sport himself than watch the dross being served up these days. That said I'm sure we'll be going back again together at some point as the club is in his veins and he is still absolutely gutted when they lose.

Never too young to get them along. Maybe a good time to get your laddie started just now as he won't be expecting them to win much and that way things can only get better for him .... hopefully

ruthven_raiders
22-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Been taking my son since he was 2 and a half, he's now 6....................we go to one or two games ealy season before winter sets in then go in the spring time, think going every week would be too stressful as I still have to have sweets and toys to keep him occupied. though the last game he was at he started to comment on the game, good pass good shot etc think by the time he is 8 he will probably enjoy it more. The kids season ticket is good value, we have 3 seats together, two adults and child, hardly costs that much more than getting two adults, and always handy for friends or family to come along and upgrade kids seat..........................

silverhibee
22-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I used to take my son at that age to home and away games, wasn,t to bad, go for it i think wee will need as many supporters as wee can today, can your son boooooo. :thumbsup:

My son is now 17 and this is the first season where there have been grumbles about not going to see the Hibs anymore. :boo hoo:

RickyS
22-10-2011, 10:27 AM
my lads never showed much interest to be honest, but i pushed hibs on to them all the time.
then last season i got them a half season ticket for xmas. they saw one victory the whole time:rolleyes:
all i get now is.....dad i thought you said we were a big club..........dad i thought u said we are better than hamilton
dad i thought you said we are bigger than Killie.............dad how can they have better players than us..........
dad you told me calderwood was a manager before:taxi

now they are big Hibbies and go into every game believing we will lose. i am sure they will thank me eventually...
this life or the next:greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
22-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Take him man. My first Hibs game was at 2 weeks old, he is defo old enough :aok:

jdships
22-10-2011, 11:13 AM
To take him on a regular basis would be hard on both of you. However the odd game or two would be a good idea to introduce him to football. I would suggest that you make sure it's not too cold for him and take a few things to keep him occupied. A 4 year old sits near to me at ER and usually by the start of the 2nd half he's bored and his dad brings out a computer game for him

Would agree totally with what you say :thumbsup:
I took my son at 6 on the premise if he had to sit in class at school and pay attention it should work at the football
Only partially successful I might say :greengrin
Have had one g-son at ER at 6/7 and it was ok except for the use of the "F" word at the tea table after the game - his mother was not amused :rolleyes:
No 2 g-son goes to the rugby now at 9 where the language is a bit more downbeat :wink::greengrin
ER next year unless CC is still there :bye:
To answer the OP I think 5 is early enough

basehibby
22-10-2011, 11:39 AM

My advice would be to either go with a mate who has kids of similar age or to take along one of your son's wee pals for the trip.

Reason - at that age they will have no more than a passing interest in the game with a maximum attention span of about 5 mins. If he has company then he and his pal will occupy themselves for large portions of the game. If not then you can guarantee you'll be interrupted every few minutes to provide entertainment - you'll be interrupted regularly anyway to deal with toilet breaks/refreshments but at least if your son has some company of his own age then you'll get the chance to enjoy SOME of the game yourself.

NB - I'd also recommend going to the Famous Five stand where kids are more numerous/expected and refreshments and toilets are closer to hand than the East, which was designed more with adults in mind if I'm not mistaken.

Bishop Hibee
22-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Took my 3 boys when they turned 4 and were able to enjoy what was going on a bit more. Take plenty sweets though!

While I've made sure they never had a choice regarding which team they'd support I've never forced them to go and they probably go to half a dozen games each per season although the middle one is agitating for an ST next year with his mates. Be careful what you wish for!

Twiglet
22-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Did you go? How did he enjoy it?

Allant1981
22-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Well we went. He got bored after maybe 20 mins or so. I had taken his buzz lightyear to keep him occupied. Got a few strange looks when that got brought out. Dont think its something ill be doing with him for a few months but thats the brain washing started!!

IWasThere2016
22-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Well we went. He got bored after maybe 20 mins or so. I had taken his buzz lightyear to keep him occupied. Got a few strange looks when that got brought out. Dont think its something ill be doing with him for a few months but thats the brain washing started!!

What? We won! He HAS to go every game :agree:

Seriously, great stuff! :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
22-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Probably too young but having read that he is looking forward to going then you must take him. Make sure you take your camera and get plenty photos. He won't remember going to the match in years to come but at least with the photos he will have the evidence.

gegs70
23-10-2011, 12:09 AM
To be honest this is the best time to take him. A big packet of sweets and that should see hime through, and no matter what happens you can tell him hibs won the game at the end??? Win Win.

Although to be honest i have struggled at the games the last few seasons........................good luck!