PDA

View Full Version : Would The Drop Be A Bad Thing?

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I've almost gotten to the point of believing that it would be beneficial. In a weaker league we might discover a winning mentality, and gates would increase, as under McLeish. They could hardly be lower than are at present.

I quite enjoyed the break of playing different crap teams, instead of the same crap ones again and again.

We'd also be be compelled to get a full time permanent manager in.

bod
19-10-2011, 06:49 PM
nothing on the telly tonight ?

hibee92
19-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I've almost gotten to the point of believing that it would be beneficial. In a weaker league we might discover a winning mentality, and gates would increase, as under McLeish. They could hardly be lower than are at present.

I quite enjoyed the break of playing different crap teams, instead of the same crap ones again and again.

:troll:

IFONLY
19-10-2011, 07:27 PM

!!!!

johnrebus
19-10-2011, 07:32 PM
!!!!

Dontcha just love reasoned debate!!!

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Can't wait to get those chaps on Question Time.

smurf
19-10-2011, 07:42 PM
NO don't go there!

johnrebus
19-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Seriously though....,

If it takes a drop down to Division One to stir STF out of his slumber and gut this club from to bottom then so be it.

As it stands right now Hibernian is rotten to the core.

:boo hoo:

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-10-2011, 08:28 PM
If Inversneckie Thistle go on a run, then this is what we are looking at,

The Tubs
19-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing today. Instead of transition season after transition season why don't we suffer a bit of shock therapy and get it sorted out once and for all? (or at least once every 10 years)

mmmmhibby
19-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Seriously though....,

If it takes a drop down to Division One to stir STF out of his slumber and gut this club from to bottom then so be it.

As it stands right now Hibernian is rotten to the core.

:boo hoo:

I dont want us to drop at all and never will but teams down south have done it(southampton,leeds, sheff utd/wed) and have struggled to get into the EPL for many years, however, southampton and leeds in particular seem to be on the up as both these teams have decent attendences and most of their games are entertaining. We just need someone to install some much needed belief into our players and perhaps create a winning mentality. Easier said than done.

scuttle
19-10-2011, 09:06 PM
No Way
Just think of the gloating
and the pelters the Yams would give us

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2011, 09:09 PM
I raised the question seriously (strange that it seems to offended some donuts) purely on the basis that we went down under McLeish, following the good work by Duffy. Eck brought us back up, introducing Latapy and Sauzee into the side. We started playing football, the gates went up, and while a lot people doubted that Franck and Russell would have the legs to cut it in the 'big league' (ha ha you Jambo pricks) we stormed into Europe.

I know that the set of circumstances were very different then than they are now, but we came up with a competent hungry manager, and an exciting team and a united support. Relegation wasn't a disaster - far from it. As somebody said, maybe a couple of seasons shock therapy is better than this slow death by a thousand defeats.

nortonhibby
19-10-2011, 09:33 PM
If Inversneckie Thistle go on a run, then this is what we are looking at,

Dunfermline will go down no worries there.:flag:

R'Albin
20-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Dunfermline will go down no worries there.:flag:

Really?

Gala Foxes
20-10-2011, 04:58 AM
We have just posted a loss of £0.900m from a season in the SPL where we had a brief spell in Europe

A spell in the 1st Division would mean -

(1) No TV Income
(2) Lower hospitality sales

& also we now have next to no quality players that would raise any money on the transfer market

Don't kid yourself - a spell in the 1st Division would be crippling for Hibs, and whose to say we would get promoted given our consistent inability to win games & defend

Tricla
20-10-2011, 05:58 AM

It is a pretty ridiculous OP to be fair.

Keith_M
20-10-2011, 09:09 AM
We could always just go the whole hog and get relegated right down to division three. Imagine the fun of visiting the likes of Elgin, Stranraer, Peterhead and Berwick on a Tuesday night.

At least our games wouldn't be switched for the TV, so no excuse for BlackpoolHibs to not buy a Season Ticket :wink:

Cabbage East
20-10-2011, 09:21 AM
It done absolute wonders for us last time to be fair.

Big Frank
20-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Complete nonsense.

Hibernian FC have no place in the lower leagues.

HibbyDave
20-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Hibernian FC would not come straight back up with the current management/players. Given the cost of settling contracts etc we would probably go under! Massive costs for stadium running, training centre costs, coupled to poor commercial conditions mean we could not sell any assets very quickly etc etc etc.

I bet RP would very quickly change his stance on league re-construction though.

smurf
20-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Complete nonsense.

Hibernian FC have no place in the lower leagues.

Correct. And we should have no place flirting with it either year in year out.

Phil MaGlass
20-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Hibernian FC would not come straight back up with the current management/players. Given the cost of settling contracts etc we would probably go under! Massive costs for stadium running, training centre costs, coupled to poor commercial conditions mean we could not sell any assets very quickly etc etc etc.

I bet RP would very quickly change his stance on league re-construction though.

we never went under the last time and crowds actually went up on the previous season(from what I remember), the fitba was great to see and regularly winning, think we broke the record also for most games unbeaten/won or something like that, we came up a stronger team, I´m not saying a stint in the 1st div would do us the world of good, just saying it couldnt harm us.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2011, 10:55 AM
We could always just go the whole hog and get relegated right down to division three. Imagine the fun of visiting the likes of Elgin, Stranraer, Peterhead and Berwick on a Tuesday night.

At least our games wouldn't be switched for the TV, so no excuse for BlackpoolHibs to not buy a Season Ticket :wink:

There is no point now me buying a season ticket, but i have one. I certainly wont be getting one for the 3rd division, but i know a man that will.:wink:

Broken Gnome
20-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Things are very different to the way they were 13 years ago. Let's not risk it eh.

Makaveli
20-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Will the "I'm helping to promote Hibs" stickers be available again?

yeezus.
20-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe being a wee bit optimistic but I don't see it happening. Relegation would be awful, the 1st division is a decent league now, there is absolutely no gurantee Hibs would come back up.

I think the next 2 league games are going to be defeats anyway - St Mirren and Septic..?:rolleyes:

ShanksSaidNo
20-10-2011, 02:32 PM
we never went under the last time and crowds actually went up on the previous season(from what I remember), the fitba was great to see and regularly winning, think we broke the record also for most games unbeaten/won or something like that, we came up a stronger team, I´m not saying a stint in the 1st div would do us the world of good, just saying it couldnt harm us.

I'd like to think you are just playing devils advocate in the interest of keeping a debate going and don't actually whole heartedly believe in that last statement.
If Hibs were relegated it would potentially be the start of a very slow and painful death. We wouldnt have the scope to get a manager of McLeish's calibre in, and sure as ***** wouldnt have the money to tempt big names in the mould of Sauzee and Latapy to the club. The SPL is now persona non grata for most in the footballing world - can you imagine tying to tempt and ex European cup winner to the Scottish 1st division in this day and age?

Added to that, the likes of O'Connor, Sproule, Stack, Booth et all would up sticks and leave if we were relegated we would be left to ply our trade in a very competitive league with a distinctly average squad.

The fact that our club is in a position that we need to even contemplate a "Would the drop be a bad thing" debate is alarming enough never mind actually considering the potentially disastrous consequences us being relagated would bring!

chrisski33
20-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Of course it wud be a bad thing! Just cause we got promoted last time round doesnt mean we will this time! Look how tight the 1st division is rigjt now? Could you honestly see hibs beating the.likes.of falkirk and dundee right now? I dont! If we go down it will be a much.harder and harder task than last time!

Baader
20-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Would be catastrophic for us to drop out the top flight in this climate.

Very different scenario to what happened in 1998.

pentlando
20-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Will the "I'm helping to promote Hibs" stickers be available again?

Managed to weld mines to my old window, was not an easy removal job!

HibsMax
21-10-2011, 04:16 PM
People have repeatedly said that entertaining football would get more fans back. I would think that playing in the first division would allow us to play more entertaining football (in theory) because the opposition is weaker. Again, this is in theory. So if we dropped and started to play better football and started winning games then that should see the fans flocking back, right? I would never wish for Hibs to be relegated but sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. That's not just a cliche, it's actually true (sometimes).

HibsMax
21-10-2011, 04:19 PM
It is a pretty ridiculous OP to be fair.

Why is it a ridiculous post? Bob is just asking a question and providing some reasoning for his own suggestion that it might not be a bad thing.

The_Famous_HFC
21-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Why is it a ridiculous post? Bob is just asking a question and providing some reasoning for his own suggestion that it might not be a bad thing. For those just slating the op think of it this way.....Would you rather Hibs continued to be a bottom 6 side, eben flirting with relegation. Or would you take the drop and have a no risk change of revitalising the squad?

PeeKay
21-10-2011, 09:11 PM
For those just slating the op think of it this way.....Would you rather Hibs continued to be a bottom 6 side, eben flirting with relegation. Or would you take the drop and have a no risk change of revitalising the squad?

But the point is it certainly would NOT be "no risk". There is a distinct possibility that Hibs would not get straight back up again. With SPL overheads, and a recession likely to go on for a while yet, anything longer than one season in the first division would kill Hibs financially. These are risks that I would just rather not take, for benfits that may or may not happen.

nortonhibby
21-10-2011, 09:15 PM
It done absolute wonders for us last time to be fair.

The away games were a scream and to be winning every week was even better.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Recent results against Ayr Utd and Ross County tell me that coming straight back up after relegation is no formality. I struggle to see how the possibilty of 2 or 3 seasons in the 1st division could benefit the club. Last time we were lucky we had a good manager and were able to get players of the calibre of Latapy and Mixu, not sure that would happen again.

Tricla
21-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Why is it a ridiculous post? Bob is just asking a question and providing some reasoning for his own suggestion that it might not be a bad thing.

It's ridiculous to think that there could be any positives in us getting relegated.

We'd struggle (severely IMO) to get back up quickly if at all.

nortonhibby
21-10-2011, 09:43 PM
It's ridiculous to think that there could be any positives in us getting relegated.

We'd struggle (severely IMO) to get back up quickly if at all.

i Dont agree we would be winning every week fans happy again Newcastle look at them now.

Dashing Bob S
21-10-2011, 09:45 PM
As it happens, I agree that the drop would probably not have the redeeming merits it had back in the McLeish era, as circumstances were different back then. I merely thought it matter worthy of discussion, as it turned out, on the last occasion, not to be the disaster many of us had anticipated.

nortonhibby
21-10-2011, 10:16 PM
As it happens, I agree that the drop would probably not have the redeeming merits it had back in the McLeish era, as circumstances were different back then. I merely thought it matter worthy of discussion, as it turned out, on the last occasion, not to be the disaster many of us had anticipated.

IMO Dunfy will go down they are worse than us not by much but enough to save us from the drop which is now our ambition under CC BB AND RP.

Row H
21-10-2011, 10:20 PM
IMO Dunfy will go down they are worse than us not by much but enough to save us from the drop which is now our ambition under CC BB AND RP.

How do you think Hearts will get on this year, Nortonhibby?

Broken Gnome
21-10-2011, 10:24 PM
The crowds wouldn't come back either just because we'd go on a nice wee unbeaten run against Partick, Dundee and Queen of the South. Hibs were still in a decent place last time; the lows of Duffy had long been replaced by optimism that McLeish would ultimately do well. This time round, there are so many disillusioned with the club that many have jacked it in well before relegation could be considered the final straw. We'd be playing in front of tiny crowds.

The Harp
21-10-2011, 10:37 PM
There's no doubt some nostalgic moments linger with a lot of us regarding our last 'adventure' in the 1st division. However, a fair amount of money was spent IIRC to ensure our stay was a brief one. I couldn't see us being able to splash much cash if the unthinkable happened again. As far as I'm concerned, the consequences would be disastrous for the Club.:bitchy:

Tricla
22-10-2011, 11:13 AM
i Dont agree we would be winning every week fans happy again Newcastle look at them now.

You reckon?

IIRC in recent times we haven't done too well against lower league opposition in the cups.

Ross County, Ayr Utd and Morton spring to mind.

Anyone who thinks we would be winning every week like last time (when we had Sauzee, Latapy, McGinley, Hughes, Lovell et al) is pretty misguided IMO.

Kaiser1962
22-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Your memory is failing you.

Bishop Hibee
22-10-2011, 11:34 AM
If we go down it's unlikely there would be the injection of cash from the board which got us the players to take us back up in 98/99. As other posters have said there is no guarantee we'd come straight back up.

jdships
22-10-2011, 12:32 PM
If we go down it's unlikely there would be the injection of cash from the board which got us the players to take us back up in 98/99. As other posters have said there is no guarantee we'd come straight back up.

" Got it in one " for me.:thumbsup::top marks

Joe Baker II
24-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Crowds did not go up in 1998/99, there were some good crowds (15k v Ayr/Raith, 16 and 13k v Falkirk) but there was overall drop due to 7-8000 crowds for the majority of other games. While under Duffy in 1997-8 I do not think we had a crowd of under 10,000 in the League that season and it was a similar situation when we were back up in 1999-00.

Obviously these figures are partly due to better away supports in the premier league, but even factoring that in, attendances fell in Division 1 - and that was with reduced admsision costs too.