PDA

View Full Version : Question Dean Shiels

Fifer
18-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Watching deano against Celtic the other day.I think we are screaming out for someone like him in our midfield,and we should be doing all we can to bring him back in Jan.

cocopops1875
18-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Why would he come here ?

Fifer
18-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Given the choice, I would like to think even in our current state,we are still a better proposition than Kilmarnock.

Stevie Reid
18-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Would he not be prohibited from signing for us as he's already played for 2 different clubs this season?

Albion Hibs
18-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I thought he was only on loan at Killie? And that will be down the fact his old man is there.

I said a while back it would be great to see him at Easter Road and I think he would def add something to the team, cant see us getting him in Jan as we would need to pay, equally he is not going to walk out the door on his current manager.

AustinHibee
18-10-2011, 01:28 PM
People seem to have selective memories over certain players.When Shiels was here before it was one good game and then ten bad games.

Broken Gnome
18-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Aye.

That said, someone of a similar style is much needed. His movement beyond the midfield was always one of his good attributes, as was the ability to beat a man. Both painfully lacking at present.

(((Fergus)))
18-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I thought Deano was a cracking player who was badly deployed. I hope he stays with his dad playing decent football in front of fans who appreciate him than come back here to this ****ing hell hole.

mackie77
18-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Dean sheils asked hibs if he could come back to us before he signed for Killie but Callderwood didn't want him, SOURCE: Sheils himself when i asked him at Ian Murry's testimonial

ScottB
18-10-2011, 02:17 PM
In any case, given that he's playing for his Dad right now, I can't believe he'd be in a rush to leave.

Also, I'm tired of this quest to 'get the band back together' as it were. No more ex players please, let's leave the memories in the past and move on!

steakbake
18-10-2011, 02:31 PM
We don't need Calderwood. Just get Justin Lee Collins on the case and the gang will be back together! Including Zibbi!

Any ex-player who remotely has a good day at the office seems to be on a fast-track back to ER!

Liam89
18-10-2011, 02:37 PM
We don't need Calderwood. Just get Justin Lee Collins on the case and the gang will be back together! Including Zibbi!

Any ex-player who remotely has a good day at the office seems to be on a fast-track back to ER!

Too true!

RoslinInstHibby
18-10-2011, 03:32 PM

still 3 goals and at least as many assists...thats about as good as our entire midfield at the moment:agree:

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 03:33 PM

:agree: Yet another one!!! Romantic notions regarding past players who are better in the memory than they were in the flesh!

Sir David Gray
18-10-2011, 03:55 PM
31 goals for Hibs in 101 starts for the club is a fairly impressive statistic for a midfielder.

It's been almost 3 years since Dean Shiels left Hibs and in that time, I really don't think we've had another midfielder who has offered the attacking threat that he posed.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Dean Sheils the marmite footballer. He was a player who could win you a game in a couple of minutes of genius, yet he could also be one who disappeared more than Jimmy Scott on Saturday.

steakbake
18-10-2011, 04:18 PM
31 goals for Hibs in 101 starts for the club is a fairly impressive statistic for a midfielder.

It's been almost 3 years since Dean Shiels left Hibs and in that time, I really don't think we've had another midfielder who has offered the attacking threat that he posed.

.....and 13 goals in 93 games since then.... (still not a bad return, but not the same) - just saying.

I like Dean Shiels and he was some player for us when he was on his game. however, context is everything and at the time he was with us I have to say we had a midfield we can only really dream of compared to now. He was playing in amongst some very good players who themselves have gone on to good things.

Bostonhibby
18-10-2011, 04:57 PM
People seem to have selective memories over certain players.When Shiels was here before it was one good game and then ten bad games.

That alone qualifies him for the current team then.

Id have him back anyway, its a sign of the times if we can't find a place for an unpredictable flair player like him. Not saying he didn't have bad games like you suggest but Hibs are a club of highs and lows on the pitch and his highs were good ones. What I saw against Celtc the other day seems at a level beyond what we are having to endure just now.

Sir David Gray
18-10-2011, 05:13 PM
.....and 13 goals in 93 games since then.... (still not a bad return, but not the same) - just saying.

I like Dean Shiels and he was some player for us when he was on his game. however, context is everything and at the time he was with us I have to say we had a midfield we can only really dream of compared to now. He was playing in amongst some very good players who themselves have gone on to good things.

That's true, he was playing with some very talented midfielders such as Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson and Guillaume Beuzelin but then again, in his final full season with us, he played in a midfield that contained the likes of Ross Chisholm, Alan O'Brien, John Rankin and Filipe Morais and he still managed to reach double figures in the goalscoring charts that year.

We have not had a midfielder who has contributed that number of goals in a single season since then.

Fifer
18-10-2011, 05:27 PM
:top marks

Peevemor
18-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Dean sheils asked hibs if he could come back to us before he signed for Killie but Callderwood didn't want him, SOURCE: Sheils himself when i asked him at Ian Murry's testimonial

I though Rod Petrie decided who we were signing. :confused:

db03
18-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I would have the wee man back in a heart beat, even if he were the worst player to have played for Hibs (which he is far from) I would have him back for what he done to Gordon at tynie alone!

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I would have the wee man back in a heart beat, even if he were the worst player to have played for Hibs (which he is far from) I would have him back for what he done to Gordon at tynie.

Great shout :rolleyes:

silverhibee
18-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I though Rod Petrie decided who we were signing. :confused:

That made me chuckle. :faf:

Bayern Bru
18-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Had some great games including that hattrick - not many players in my lifetime can say they've done that.

I always felt he was more of an impact sub. At times he seemed too lightweight and not involved enough. Not the worst player by a long shot but I can't see (a) who he'd replace in the current line up and (b) what he'd bring to the team. Except another returning player.

Makaveli
18-10-2011, 06:50 PM
To think over half of this board thought we were well rid of guys like Deano, Boozy, even Stephen Glass - all could have done a job for at least 18 months after they left. Deano especially, folk go on as if he was in the Liam Miller league of 1 performance every 10 games... it just wasn't the case! I know everyone has an opinion but that simply isn't true. Go back and read the match reports, watch the highlights, or better yet the match DVDs if you have them. He was the most dynamic player in that side and never hid. Better at the job than anyone we've had since IMO.

For a support that's supposed to know good football when we (rarely) see it... well, you get the point. :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 06:59 PM
To think over half of this board thought we were well rid of guys like Deano, Boozy, even Stephen Glass - all could have done a job for at least 18 months after they left. Deano especially, folk go on as if he was in the Liam Miller league of 1 performance every 10 games... it just wasn't the case! I know everyone has an opinion but that simply isn't true. Go back and read the match reports, watch the highlights, or better yet the match DVDs if you have them. He was the most dynamic player in that side and never hid. Better at the job than anyone we've had since IMO.

For a support that's supposed to know good football when we (rarely) see it... well, you get the point. :rolleyes:

People who watched Hibs when these guys played don't need to go back and watch highlights or read reports of matches as they witnessed for themselves and that's a fact. Boozy, Deano and Sproule for that matter all had occasions when they looked a class act but equally there were many performances that left a lot to be desired, some choose to forget the bad performances others are more objective. Sproule is a perfect example in my opinion. I have no doubt that Deano would prove to be the same. If only they were all as good as GOC!

Bayern Bru
18-10-2011, 07:09 PM
People who watched Hibs when these guys played don't need to go back and watch highlights or read reports of matches as they witnessed for themselves and that's a fact. Boozy, Deano and Sproule for that matter all had occasions when they looked a class act but equally there were many performances that left a lot to be desired, some choose to forget the bad performances others are more objective. Sproule is a perfect example in my opinion. I have no doubt that Deano would prove to be the same. If only they were all as good as GOC!

Precisely. But that's the reason they were at Hibs. If they could do it every week we wouldn't be able to afford them!

Makaveli
18-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Nobody's "forgetting" the bad performances, but some of us keep them in perspective. Boozy had more bad games than Deano, but even then his stinkers were far fewer and further between than some are suggesting - 1 good game in 10 from Shiels has been mentioned on this thread. If anyone who watched Hibs every week from 2004-2009 thought that he was unacceptable 90% of the time I'd seriously question their sanity.

Dashing Bob S
18-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Excellent player - would love to see him back in a Hibs jersey.

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Precisely. But that's the reason they were at Hibs. If they could do it every week we wouldn't be able to afford them!

Yes but we would have made a fortune by selling them :greengrin

Malthibby
18-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Was always a fan & sorry when he left, but he always split opinion on Hibs.net.
He would certainly add something to the current team but so would my mum.
And she's deid.
GG

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Was always a fan & sorry when he left, but he always split opinion on Hibs.net.
He would certainly add something to the current team but so would my mum.
And she's deid.
GG

She'd fit in well at the centre of our defence nicely.

basehibby
19-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I'd have been happy to see Deano back at ER but whoever it is we badly need someone with a bit of flair and vision in the midfield. Was dissappointed that no-one of that ilk was brought in over the summer and it's coming home to roost as we're struggling to break teams down.

Franck is God
19-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I always rated Deano but was never sure of his position and feel that if you play him then you need to leave out a striker and play him as the spare man in a midfield 5 which is how Killie use him. It means that you are really relying on him having a good game every week in order to pick up results.

In our side right now we are not playing the type of game where he would offer much and to accomodate him would need major changes to the make up of the team and tactics used.

When we played Killie at rugby park at the beginning of the season they way they moved the ball was excellent and always built from the back, to do that you need defenders that are comfortable on the ball, anyone at the Motherwell game on Saturday will know that our current pairing are definitely not that.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I always rated Deano but was never sure of his position and feel that if you play him then you need to leave out a striker and play him as the spare man in a midfield 5 which is how Killie use him. It means that you are really relying on him having a good game every week in order to pick up results.

In our side right now we are not playing the type of game where he would offer much and to accomodate him would need major changes to the make up of the team and tactics used.

When we played Killie at rugby park at the beginning of the season they way they moved the ball was excellent and always built from the back, to do that you need defenders that are comfortable on the ball, anyone at the Motherwell game on Saturday will know that our current pairing are definitely not that.

Again we agree, we dont move the ball around well enough we are not that comfortable on the ball, and we are too slow getting the ball under control. By the time our defenders manage this, the oposition are all back in place behind the ball. We rarely hit teams on the break, we are ponderous all over the park.

Stevie Reid
19-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Would love to see someone with Shiels' ability in our team right now - I said in another thread about him that it shows how spoilt we were at one point that we left Deano on the bench for much of the latter part of his Hibs career, and that not too many people were upset when he left.

I'm really rather shocked at how many folk on this thread are running Deano's performance levels down, and the statement that he had one good game in eleven is utterly ridiculous - he had many quality performances, a decent goals return and the quality of many of the goals that he scored was unbelievable.

Even at his previous level of performance he would add something considerable to this Hibs team, but people are forgetting that he's now coming towards his peak years and is a lot more experienced now than when he left us - he has a footballing intelligence and ability on the ball that will only get better with experience, and he seems to have filled out a lot and has more of a physique.

I know my fond memories of Shiels are not false ones, he was a very good player for us - and now seems to be for Killie.

Thief
19-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Would love to see him back. Can he bring his Dad with him!:wink:

SmokieJoe
19-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Watching deano against Celtic the other day.I think we are screaming out for someone like him in our midfield,and we should be doing all we can to bring him back in Jan.

'nuff said :agree: