PDA

View Full Version : BBC article on Hibs../Calderwood's Record (MERGED)

Hibs90
18-10-2011, 09:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15335518.stm

Notable points include;

The shelf life for Hibs managers appears to be 18 months. That's approximately how long previous incumbents John Hughes, Mixu Paatelainen and John Collins lasted.

But there is a dearth of creativity in the side, with the, admittedly erratic, talents of Merouane Zemmama, Liam Miller and Derek Riordan replaced by more athletic yet prosaic midfield players. O'Hanlon is the only new recruit in a defence that was fragile last season and the former MK Dons man has done nothing to solve that problem.

But the club has a large fan base and, thanks to the sale of a procession of star players in recent years, can boast a state-of-the-art training complex and an impressive stadium, albeit with a lot of empty seats.

smurf
18-10-2011, 10:12 AM
No doubt at all. As it says CC with his trip unto the sweetie shop put the club in limbo in the summer.

After the pathetic season last the board should be condemned for allowing this to happen.

And the results are there this season for us all to see.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 10:23 AM
No doubt at all. As it says CC with his trip unto the sweetie shop put the club in limbo in the summer.

After the pathetic season last the board should be condemned for allowing this to happen.

And the results are there this season for us all to see.

:agree: Calderwood has single-handedly with his complete non committal, and dull as dishwater interviews brought people down to his level of commitment to the club, they have pissed off, and might never be back.

Couple that with the type of football, results and tactics, its difficult for me anyway to understand just why he is still employed at Hibs.

Why with any rational thinking can this present board think he has the ability to turn things round, what makes them think this? Where is the smallest point they can point to, and tell us this is better, this is the reason we see a better future with Calderwood?

matty_f
18-10-2011, 10:26 AM
:agree: Calderwood has single-handedly with his complete non committal, and dull as dishwater interviews brought people down to his level of commitment to the club, they have pissed off, and might never be back.

Couple that with the type of football, results and tactics, its difficult for me anyway to understand just why he is still employed at Hibs.

Why with any rational thinking can this present board think he has the ability to turn things round, what makes them think this? Where is the smallest point they can point to, and tell us this is better, this is the reason we see a better future with Calderwood?

:agree: There must be a helluva lot of good work being done in the background that is swaying the Board's judgement, either that or we simply can't afford to pay him off.

matty_f
18-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I also agree with this statement from the article:

"It's very easy to criticise the manager, but there comes a time when the players need to stand up and be counted."

The players look like they are hiding in games, they need to be braver, more confident and more positive.

smurf
18-10-2011, 10:36 AM
:agree: There must be a helluva lot of good work being done in the background that is swaying the Board's judgement, either that or we simply can't afford to pay him off.

I suspect you are correct. However, there's a real danger I feel of us going into complete freefall under CC. And then what cost?

CC is everything that I loathe about the game. Given a tremendous opportunity he's not long in the door doing a poor job and he's flirting with other jobs for more money... he stays (clearly not wanting to regardless to what anyone says!) and continues to do a dreadful job...

Will he resign? Will he hell. That he's doing a dreadful job appears not to trouble him (Where's the hurt, anger and disappointment? He conceals it very well..) but he wants one thing more than anything else (in my humble opinion) and that's the pay off.

There has to be responsibility for this at boardroom level.

bingo70
18-10-2011, 10:38 AM
The confidence to become braver comes from the manager, that's why we employ one.....its his job to motivate, organise and install confidence to ensure the players play to their best of their ability.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 10:39 AM

"It's very easy to criticise the manager, but there comes a time when the players need to stand up and be counted."

The players look like they are hiding in games, they need to be braver, more confident and more positive.

He brought a lot of these players to the club though Matty. We still have no right back, a central defence thats pish, no dominant central defender. centre half playing left back, a central midfielder playing right back. A midfield with no creativity, no real pace all over the park. The one bright spark is O'Conners goals. This is his team now, and its failing.

matty_f
18-10-2011, 10:49 AM
He brought a lot of these players to the club though Matty. We still have no right back, a central defence thats pish, no dominant central defender. centre half playing left back, a central midfielder playing right back. A midfield with no creativity, no real pace all over the park. The one bright spark is O'Conners goals. This is his team now, and its failing.

I'm not excusing CC, by the way, but the players are culpable as well. Once they cross the line on a Saturday afternoon (or whenever else we have to play) there is a basic requirement of an expected work ethic, and doing their jobs - first half on Saturday nobody save from Stack met that requirement IMHO. That is nothing to do with coaching or motivating, that is down to the players.

DC_Hibs
18-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Good article.

Question is though, where were all you fandans bumping your gums about Calderwood before the Motherwell game.
Shaky win against St J, Cup win on Pens and a narrrow defeat at Ibrox and all seemed rosy (per the boards of course).
There's no inbetween with the average messageboard monkey is there?

Don't all take offence as there's a few that have a bit of savvy aboot them.

Regards

yeezus.
18-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't see where a win is going to come from anytime soon.

St Mirren Away
Septic Home
Septic Away

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not excusing CC, by the way, but the players are culpable as well. Once they cross the line on a Saturday afternoon (or whenever else we have to play) there is a basic requirement of an expected work ethic, and doing their jobs - first half on Saturday nobody save from Stack met that requirement IMHO. That is nothing to do with coaching or motivating, that is down to the players.

Disagree Matty, when you set the team up the way he did, with a back 4 thats painfully as slow and bereft of any real passing talent. They will sit much deeper than is good for the team.

Their passing leaves a lot to be desired, and thats so slow too, stack to ohanlon, ohanlon to murray, murray to osbourne, osbourne to towell, then back to murray or ohanlon or even stack. Not one of these players have the ability to pick a pass out, or drive forward and open things up.

Couple that with a left back who's a central defender, and a right back who's a central midfielder, its not great tactics. When you have a back 4 sitting so deep, they make the game so stretched, the forwards come looking for the ball in the middle of the park, as O'Conner did so many times. The shape of the team then goes tits up.

The midfield looked better when Wotherspoon came on, and Towell went to right back, thats not lucky, its what should have been the case from the start. It still leaves us painfully short of creativity and quality, and that was Calderwoods job when giving us the quality not quantity mantra.

We are a poor side, and he's responsible.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Good article.

Question is though, where were all you fandans bumping your gums about Calderwood before the Motherwell game.
Shaky win against St J, Cup win on Pens and a narrrow defeat at Ibrox and all seemed rosy (per the boards of course).
There's no inbetween with the average messageboard monkey is there?

Don't all take offence as there's a few that have a bit of savvy aboot them.

Regards

Fandan monkey number 1 here, never been away. :confused:

silverhibee
18-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Calderwood signed them Matty, he knew what he was getting when he signed them, apart from Garry the rest have not improved the team at all.

silverhibee
18-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Disagree Matty, when you set the team up the way he did, with a back 4 thats painfully as slow and bereft of any real passing talent. They will sit much deeper than is good for the team.

Their passing leaves a lot to be desired, and thats so slow too, stack to ohanlon, ohanlon to murray, murray to osbourne, osbourne to towell, then back to murray or ohanlon or even stack. Not one of these players have the ability to pick a pass out, or drive forward and open things up.

Couple that with a left back who's a central defender, and a right back who's a central midfielder, its not great tactics. When you have a back 4 sitting so deep, they make the game so stretched, the forwards come looking for the ball in the middle of the park, as O'Conner did so many times. The shape of the team then goes tits up.

The midfield looked better when Wotherspoon came on, and Towell went to right back, thats not lucky, its what should have been the case from the start. It still leaves us painfully short of creativity and quality, and that was Calderwoods job when giving us the quality not quantity mantra.

We are a poor side, and he's responsible.

100% responsible, and Petrie has to take some of the blame for sticking by him.

bawheid
18-10-2011, 11:14 AM

:hmmm:

:wink:

Thecat23
18-10-2011, 11:15 AM
From what i hear, Hibs have stuck with him because they cannot afford to sack him. If true then we are in big bother.

IWasThere2016
18-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Fandan monkey number 1 here, never been away. :confused:

I'm not sure he's having a go at the likes of you G

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Petrie is to blame for appointing him in the first place, then sticking by him through the summer. We have pinkie and perkie seemingly at the helm now, but with Petrie holding that 10% he still pulls the strings imo.

Thecat23
18-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Petrie is to blame for appointing him in the first place, then sticking by him through the summer. We have pinkie and perkie seemingly at the helm now, but with Petrie holding that 10% he still pulls the strings imo.

Agree 100% with this BH.

YehButNoBut
18-10-2011, 11:41 AM
From what i hear, Hibs have stuck with him because they cannot afford to sack him. If true then we are in big bother.

Probably very true, may be a case of who blinks first, RP hoping CC resigns and he saves compensation and CC hanging on until he gets the pay off from RP.

Until one of these happens it's the team and the fans that are suffering but RP cannot let this continue much longer IMO. :rolleyes:

DC_Hibs
18-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure he's having a go at the likes of you G

It just seemed to me that after those three games people disregarded the gaping inadequacies with our squad and after the Motherwell (shambolic) performance the boards again implode with all the old arguments.

I still reckon we have enough in attack that relegation is not an issue- even under Calderwood - but we've now played everyone once and we're right in the thick of it.

Osbourne is a classic example of what is wrong with our squad. One of the best young prospects in England yet he has been on a downward spiral since then and ends up at Hibs in the SPHell. No doubt he swans into training in a flash car and has a bit of cash but where is the hunger and desire of this guy during the 90minutes to do his bit for the team and rebuild his reputation and move back up the ladder.

We've already had a massive clear out but the same situation exists that we have a team of softies with no bawz.

soupy
18-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Totally agree DC........:-)

Cropley10
18-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Failing in every department. Saturday there can be added to a long list of truly terrible games we've had to sit through in the last 12 months; zero entertainment. He's assembled a team with almost no creativity, that makes very, very few chances and looks fragile and vulnerable at the back; which is the opposite of genius IMHO.

Wotherspiniesta
18-10-2011, 12:32 PM
The confidence to become braver comes from the manager, that's why we employ one.....its his job to motivate, organise and install confidence to ensure the players play to their best of their ability.

Spot on.

IWasThere2016
18-10-2011, 12:41 PM
It just seemed to me that after those three games people disregarded the gaping inadequacies with our squad and after the Motherwell (shambolic) performance the boards again implode with all the old arguments.

I still reckon we have enough in attack that relegation is not an issue- even under Calderwood - but we've now played everyone once and we're right in the thick of it.

Osbourne is a classic example of what is wrong with our squad. One of the best young prospects in England yet he has been on a downward spiral since then and ends up at Hibs in the SPHell. No doubt he swans into training in a flash car and has a bit of cash but where is the hunger and desire of this guy during the 90minutes to do his bit for the team and rebuild his reputation and move back up the ladder.

We've already had a massive clear out but the same situation exists that we have a team of softies with no bawz.

And I don't think BH fits the bill :wink:

jacomo
18-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Unarguable.

Petrie very publicly put his faith in CC - admirable in many ways, but he must have had huge faith that he had the right man as manager.

It's very hard to see how that's true - CC's results have been shocking, and I am really not sure what else he offers.

ehf
18-10-2011, 12:45 PM

It's more complex than that. We could afford it, but Petrie is then seen as the buffoon he is for not letting Clueless Clown go in the summer when people were actually willing to give us money to take him off our hands. And believe me, Petrie will not want to be made to look a fool if he can possibly avoid it, which he can for now because, let's face it, he's got our season ticket money in already. Things will only change if we start to seriously straggle in the SPL, otherwise Petrie can afford to wait until the end of the season when he needs to try and sell season tickets again (and the Clown will be due a year's less compensation).

grantonhibee
18-10-2011, 12:59 PM
they must act now before its too late & petrie you can go to
CALDERWOOD'S HIBS RECORD
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15335518.stm#skip_feature_02)

PLAYED 45
WON 11
DRAWN 10
LOST 24

silverhibee
18-10-2011, 01:39 PM
:hmmm:

:wink:

:greengrin

You get the drift anyway.

green glory
18-10-2011, 01:50 PM
CALDERWOOD'S HIBS RECORD

PLAYED 45
WON 11
DRAWN 10
LOST 24

I think with the announcement of the financial results will only get worse for next year if the rot isn't stopped soon. Can't see the tache putting up with this much longer, never mind the fans. Whatever the detail in CC's contract, there's bound to be performance clauses. There's no way this kind of form can continue without the option of sacking him becoming realistic. CC will probably have to achieve results 'X' within 'Y' timeframe. We can only speculate if he'd have to get a hefty pay-off though.

I still think another defeat on Saturday might be the last straw, with 2 games to follow against Celtic is hardly giving me cause for optimism.His overall record since this time last-season is terrible, whichever way you want to spin it. His record for this season only is utterly abysmal.

Depends what's in his contract though doesn't it? and we ain't privy to that.

CFC
18-10-2011, 02:16 PM
100% responsible, and Petrie has to take some of the blame for sticking by him.Agree entirely, Petrie has to be culpable for him getting the job in the first place too. The managerial carousel at Hibs is imo the fault of Petrie, about time he took responsibility for all the failed appointments.

ScottB
18-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Even supposing we can't afford to bin him, and I can't see how we can afford not to...

Just stick him on gardening leave and put BB in charge, see what happens. Can't be any worse.

In an ideal world, I'd sack every coach, besides BB, that has been anywhere near the first team in the last few years. They must carry some of the blame for the lack of fitness, basic technique and general squandering of the facilities at East mains.

Elephant Stone
18-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I think with the announcement of the financial results will only get worse for next year if the rot isn't stopped soon. Can't see the tache putting up with this much longer, never mind the fans. Whatever the detail in CC's contract, there's bound to be performance clauses. There's no way this kind of form can continue without the option of sacking him becoming realistic. CC will probably have to achieve results 'X' within 'Y' timeframe. We can only speculate if he'd have to get a hefty pay-off though.

I still think another defeat on Saturday might be the last straw, with 2 games to follow against Celtic is hardly giving me cause for optimism.His overall record since this time last-season is terrible, whichever way you want to spin it. His record for this season only is utterly abysmal.

Depends what's in his contract though doesn't it? and we ain't privy to that.

He should do the dignified thing and resign, he hasn't deserved any of the money he's taken from us in past earnings and he'd have some cheek to demand compensation for future earnings if he was sacked. His tenure has been an absolute misery.

joebakerforever
18-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Even supposing we can't afford to bin him, and I can't see how we can afford not to...

Just stick him on gardening leave and put BB in charge, see what happens. Can't be any worse.

In an ideal world, I'd sack every coach, besides BB, that has been anywhere near the first team in the last few years. They must carry some of the blame for the lack of fitness, basic technique and general squandering of the facilities at East mains.

Agree, but remember Petrie was quite willing to meet those complaining about JCs fitness & discipline regime, rather than referring them back to the Manager in the first place.

Paisley Hibby
18-10-2011, 03:21 PM
CALDERWOOD'S HIBS RECORD

PLAYED 45
WON 11
DRAWN 10
LOST 24

It's not just the results, it's the turgid, passionless and clueless style of football that we play under CC. That more than anything is the reason for the huge drop in attendances and is why he must go.

nortonhibby
18-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I suspect you are correct. However, there's a real danger I feel of us going into complete freefall under CC. And then what cost?

CC is everything that I loathe about the game. Given a tremendous opportunity he's not long in the door doing a poor job and he's flirting with other jobs for more money... he stays (clearly not wanting to regardless to what anyone says!) and continues to do a dreadful job...

Will he resign? Will he hell. That he's doing a dreadful job appears not to trouble him (Where's the hurt, anger and disappointment? He conceals it very well..) but he wants one thing more than anything else (in my humble opinion) and that's the pay off.

There has to be responsibility for this at boardroom level.

It was only a few weeks ago that CC Talked about a top 4 finish and Cup Semi Finals, he has no passion he comes over as being dull and un interested he looks way out of his league At least Yogi talked with passion.

nortonhibby
18-10-2011, 04:30 PM
CALDERWOOD'S HIBS RECORD

PLAYED 45
WON 11
DRAWN 10
LOST 24

Lost and 24 Are great TV Shows my favourites i wish CC Would go and get Lost and take The Tache with him only the Duffster can beat this pathetic record and only by the skin of his teeth has CC Managed to out do the Duffs miserable record:taxi

sesoim
18-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Even then, a good manager, like Alex Ferguson, has a good habit of signing players, even mega-money players, who have a good attitude, a hunger to try and win all the time. Given the way he comes across himself, I doubt CC would be capable of judging people's personalities, or motivating them, and as a result our team can look lazy as well as hopeless.

SkintHibby
18-10-2011, 06:27 PM
It was only a few weeks ago that CC Talked about a top 4 finish and Cup Semi Finals, he has no passion he comes over as being dull and un interested he looks way out of his league At least Yogi talked with passion.

Yogi talked with passion? Talked pish mair like!

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Yogi talked with passion? Talked pish mair like!

I dont remember him telling us we'd win a cup and finish 4th? Hughes did talk some pish, but this clown takes it to a new level.