PDA

View Full Version : Another old Hibby passes away

DoonTheSlope
17-10-2011, 06:21 PM
My Father in Law, John Gribben has passed away.

John has followed Hibernian since 1941 he attended his first game Hibernian 8 (yip EIGHT) Rangers 1 he was eight years old.

I have taken John with me home and away for many many years even latterly when poor health kicked in. He had a season ticket in The Famous Five Upper.

John told me, and anyone else who would listen, that Gordon Smith WAS better than Pele!!

He sadly never saw the illusive Scottish Cup win.

I will miss the auld fella and maybe someday we will win THAT cup!!

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2011, 06:49 PM
condolences to yourself and your father-inlaws family/friends, my own father passed away nearly 4 years ago and having watched the famous five fail to win that freakin cup he reckoned we will never win it again lol

Hibrandenburg
17-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Sorry for your loss mate.

gogsy23
17-10-2011, 07:08 PM
sorry for your loss mate. i know he will be missed.

mim
17-10-2011, 07:53 PM

John has followed Hibernian since 1941 he attended his first game Hibernian 8 (yip EIGHT) Rangers 1 he was eight years old.

Sorry to hear this.
I lost my Mum three weeks ago today. Strangely enough, the ONLY game my Dad ever managed to get her to go to was that 8-1 game.

I suppose she thought, if it was that easy, there wasn't much point in going back. :wink:

RIP Mum. RIP John.

erin go bragh
17-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear that bud , thoughts with you and your family . [ what a first game :agree:]

Sammy7nil
17-10-2011, 08:52 PM
RIP sad time.

My dad and many of his mates all passed away without seeing Hibs lift the cup I fear the same may happen to me.

Hibee Hibernian
17-10-2011, 08:55 PM

I have taken John with me home and away for many many years even latterly when poor health kicked in. He had a season ticket in The Famous Five Upper.

John told me, and anyone else who would listen, that Gordon Smith WAS better than Pele!!

:flag:I will miss the auld fella and maybe someday we will win THAT cup!!

Well put mate.

Kevin@green
17-10-2011, 10:04 PM

I will miss the auld fella and maybe someday we will win THAT cup!!

sorry to hear of your loss,

did John work for JB catering by any chance ?

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear this.

HNA6
17-10-2011, 10:18 PM

I will miss the auld fella and maybe someday we will win THAT cup!!Sad to hear that Ricky, condolances to you and the family mate..

Kenny

DoonTheSlope
18-10-2011, 04:12 AM
sorry to hear of your loss,

did John work for JB catering by any chance ?

Yes John did work for JB.