PDA

View Full Version : 8 Months for Internet Postings - NHC

PaulSmith
17-10-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15333744

I've read a whole lot worse on many a football site but another wee warning lads and lassies.

Wotherspiniesta
17-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Now he's getting his bum filled. ha ha.

SRHibs
17-10-2011, 06:05 PM
I haven't really read into this case that much, but while his actions seem to have been pretty detestable, I can't for the life of me see how an 8 month sentence was warranted? How much did that tool that assaulted Lennon get?

hibee92
17-10-2011, 06:18 PM
hahahaha unlucky ya t1t.

Frazerbob
17-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I haven't really read into this case that much, but while his actions seem to have been pretty detestable, I can't for the life of me see how an 8 month sentence was warranted? How much did that tool that assaulted Lennon get?

8 months I think.

There was mention that his previous 12 month prison sentance had been a consideration when deciding to jail him again. Obviously some previous there.

Dinkydoo
17-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Whilst I don't think that an 8 month sentence is proportionate to the severity of the guys crime, he did post these comments soon after serving a 12 month jail sentence so he obviously has previous.

Key part of the article for me is pasted below, no surprise he's been jailed in my opinion - hardly looks like he's been trying to turn his life around........................

Birrell posted sectarian comments about Catholics and Celtic fans between 28 February and 8 March, just days after being released early from a 12-month jail sentence.

On 1 March, two days before the Old Firm match, Birrell posted: "Hope they (Celtic fans) all die. Simple. Catholic ****bags ha ha."

On 4 March, the day after the game, he wrote: "Proud to hate Fenian tattie farmers. Simple ha ha."

Four days later Birrell posted: "They're all ploughing the fields the dirty ****bags."

He also posted abuse directed at the Pope.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I cant really see a problem here, anyone who does not behave this way is fine. If you want to spout bigoted stuff over the internet, you take whats coming. Its clear there are folk out there watching, hopefully they carry this on into the stadiums, pubs, supporters clubs and buses.

JohnScott
17-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I cant really see a problem here, anyone who does not behave this way is fine. If you want to spout bigoted stuff over the internet, you take whats coming. Its clear there are folk out there watching, hopefully they carry this on into the stadiums, pubs, supporters clubs and buses.

You know as well as I Blackpool that Tom Hart took on the bigots at ER more than 25 years ago and won. Why it's taken the Old Firm so long to follow suit I've no idea :rolleyes:

However I have to ask, who the hell gets offended at bigots like Birrell? I'm a Roman Catholic and frankly couldn't give a monkies one way or another. As for the internet? For crying out loud, our cells will be full to overflowing if we lock up all the online bigots. I'd rather we dealt with the wife-beaters, rapists, drug-pushers, car thieves, ......................

"what are you in for mate?"
"I smashed ma auld ladies heid in with a shovel, what about you?"
"Me? I told a dirty fenian to **** off and die!"
"To his face?"
"Naw, on a laptop"

allezsauzee
17-10-2011, 09:23 PM
The guy is obviously a bigoted tool who would probably find his way to jail at some point, but we're going to have to start building a few more prisons if you get 8 months for that

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 09:29 PM
You know as well as I Blackpool that Tom Hart took on the bigots at ER more than 25 years ago and won. Why it's taken the Old Firm so long to follow suit I've no idea :rolleyes:

However I have to ask, who the hell gets offended at bigots like Birrell? I'm a Roman Catholic and frankly couldn't give a monkies one way or another. As for the internet? For crying out loud, our cells will be full to overflowing if we lock up all the online bigots. I'd rather we dealt with the wife-beaters, rapists, drug-pushers, car thieves, ......................

"what are you in for mate?"
"I smashed ma auld ladies heid in with a shovel, what about you?"
"Me? I told a dirty fenian to **** off and die!"
"To his face?"
"Naw, on a laptop"

I see what you are saying, but its bigots like him that fuel the hatred. He might be at the lower end of the scale, but you have to start somewhere. Nae sympathy from me, and we wont suddenly stop locking up the rapist or murderers. My answer, build more prisons and lock them all away, so us law abiding folk can get on with enjoying a better world.

Dashing Bob S
17-10-2011, 09:33 PM
The guy is obviously a bigoted tool who would probably find his way to jail at some point, but we're going to have to start building a few more prisons if you get 8 months for that

Nutshell.

The repeated 'Simple ha ha' gives it away. Indeed.

But if you jailed Huns just for being Huns...

clerriehibs
17-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Could be why keechbag seems to be in lockdown mode, i.e. no casual browsers.

_hucks_
17-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Nutshell.

The repeated 'Simple ha ha' gives it away. Indeed.

But if you jailed Huns just for being Huns...
We'd all live in a better world.

Sir David Gray
17-10-2011, 10:32 PM
So Craig Thomson can go on Facebook and groom 12 year old girls for sex and do all sorts of lurid acts towards them and he is free to roam the streets, but this guy posts a few, admittedly obscene, messages and he's doing eight months. :confused:

I can only assume that he's got the custodial sentence for writing about how he "hopes that all Celtic fans die" but, even then, I don't believe there was any evidence from his online posts that he was going to go out and harm anyone himself or that he was actively calling on anyone else to commit violence against Celtic fans or Catholics in general.

There's a huge difference, to me anyway, between saying that you hope something happens and actually going out and committing acts of violence or inciting others to do likewise.

basehibby
17-10-2011, 11:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15333744

I've read a whole lot worse on many a football site but another wee warning lads and lassies.

The guy is obviously a complete fanny of severely limited (and bigotted) IQ but at the end of the day he was probably no more aware he was comitting a crime than Billy Brown was aware he was dropping GOC in it on Scotsport the other week.

The sentence seems way out of proportion to the crime but what I find much more disturbing is the notion of being locked up for just writting/saying words - a dangerous precedent to set IMO.

One thing it does show is just how powerful a medium the authoroties consider the internet to be in the wake recent e-inspired riots/demonstrations/revolutions.

Dashing Bob S
18-10-2011, 02:36 AM
So Craig Thomson can go on Facebook and groom 12 year old girls for sex and do all sorts of lurid acts towards them and he is free to roam the streets, but this guy posts a few, admittedly obscene, messages and he's doing eight months. :confused:

I can only assume that he's got the custodial sentence for writing about how he "hopes that all Celtic fans die" but, even then, I don't believe there was any evidence from his online posts that he was going to go out and harm anyone himself or that he was actively calling on anyone else to commit violence against Celtic fans or Catholics in general.

There's a huge difference, to me anyway, between saying that you hope something happens and actually going out and committing acts of violence or inciting others to do likewise.

I think this comparison heightens how ludicrous this is.

SkintHibby
18-10-2011, 02:49 AM
I have a Celtic supporting 'friend' on Facebook who goes way over the top on Facebook about refusing to employ Rangers supporters and makes other derogatory remarks about people of the orange persuasion.

These are the people who need to watch what they are saying.:agree:

TrickyNicky
18-10-2011, 03:21 AM
I have a Celtic supporting 'friend' on Facebook who goes way over the top on Facebook about refusing to employ Rangers supporters and makes other derogatory remarks about people of the orange persuasion.

These are the people who need to watch what they are saying.:agree:

Be careful, you may go to jail for being a Cell !:spider:

Bayern Bru
18-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Some of the stuff I read from Celtic/Rangers supporting mates on Facebook is downright vile. It's of a similar style to be honest.

Anyone else of the opinion that the sentencing was a warning/deterrent? A kind of 'If any of the rest of you carry on with this sort of thing...'

:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Got to say that this boys' legal team must have been having a day off. I know the theory about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare but if his brief had argued that it couldn't switch a PC on, never mind type, that would have been reasonable doubt.

Jack
18-10-2011, 07:28 AM
It would seem this guy has a history, just as no-one would expect him to get 8 months for what he did you have to bear in mind he had just been released from a one year jail sentence. I might respectfully suggest it would take a crime sheet the length of your arm to get to the stage where a low level criminal would pick up sentences like that.

While trawling the internet to see just what he had been up to previously (didn’t find it) I came across the case below, also from yesterday. No details of what he posted but this guy gets 120 hours worth of Community Payback Order.

IMO internet bigot Stephen Birrell is being exampled and highlighted but the sentence reflects more previous crimes than his current one i.e. over the years he has shown a consistent lack of respect for the law and the law has slapped him down - again!

HMA v ROBERT ROLLIE

At Glasgow Sheriff Court today, Robert Rollie was given a four year Football Banning Order for posting offensive messages on a social networking site.

He was also given a Community Payback Order which includes carrying out 120 hours of unpaid work in the community and that he should be of good character.

Rollie, from Cumnock, admitted that on 14 March 2011 he posted messages on the “Neil Lennon should be banned” group page on Facebook which were of a threatening and abusive nature.

Speaking following today’s hearing Barry Dickson, Football Liaison Prosecutor for the West of Scotland, said:

“The vast majority of supporters agree that behaviour of this kind is totally unacceptable and has no place in today’s society.

“Whether these offences are committed in public or online such as in this case, we will do all in our power to bring those who perpetrate such crimes to justice.”

Hibbyradge
18-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Bigotry is an enormous blight on our society.

It's poisonous and dangerous and it has to be countered.

This is a start.

Conveniently, the guy's history, and the fact he had only just been released early from a previous sentence (presumably for good behaviour), allowed the judge to pass what looks like a very severe sentence

I doubt anyone without previous criminal convictions would get much more than a fine.

Hibbyradge
18-10-2011, 08:15 AM
To add to my post above (and Jack's) - First offence (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15197744)

Backto my roots
18-10-2011, 08:48 AM
He is low life **** dragged up from the gutter! It's long overdue this and will hopefully send out a strong message to other morons like him! :bye:

cabbageandribs1875
18-10-2011, 09:08 AM
hullo hullo, he is a silly boy

Gettin' Auld
18-10-2011, 09:33 AM
hullo hullo, he is a silly boy

:tee hee: