PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Owners Come Up With The Answer To All Our Problems/No Relegation (MERGED)

Dan Sarf
17-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15336398.stm

No relegation. No money problems. Simples. Why didn't we think of that?

:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
17-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Seems inconceivable to me, but in other ways its inevitable given the monopolisation of the game by a few big teams.

CFC
17-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I dont want to see relegation abolished but it needs looking at imo based on the way it can leave clubs in financial ruination a la Leeds. If you want clubs to be financially sustainable you have to ensure that relegation does not cripple them financially. Else ALL clubs are just one bad campaign away from bankruptcy.

Gettin' Auld
17-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Crazy stuff!!

muzzhfc
17-10-2011, 04:47 PM
if this happened it would become boring. the good thing about relegation and promotion is that it can mix things up. imagine if the last time there was relegation a team like newcastle and everton got relegated and two teams like cardif and swansae got promoted . . .

CFC
17-10-2011, 04:56 PM
if this happened it would become boring. the good thing about relegation and promotion is that it can mix things up. . A few years ago I would have agreed with you, in times past Forest, Leeds and Blackburn won the title within a short time of being promoted. Nowadays relegation/promotion consists of one set of relegation candidates replacing another.

muzzhfc
17-10-2011, 04:59 PM
i disagree with you there buddy, a few years ago Stoke were promoted and now they are doing well. Blackpool caused a stir, upsetting the order last season. the relegation dog fight is just as important as the title especially for a neutral or someone who backs the underdogs (then they should be a Hibee if they like to back an underdog)

CFC
17-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah but the days when a newly promoted team can come up and fight for a title are finished though. Honestly, I miss the days when the likes of Norwich, Southampton and Forest were involved in title races.

Gatecrasher
17-10-2011, 05:17 PM
another example of why football is going down the pan IMO, Help the big clubs hinder the little clubs, its the football way.

Forza Fred
17-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Crazy stuff!!

Maybe crazy from a 'traditional football'point of view, but not from a business point of view surely.

While we have been brought up on a 'keep the dream alive' promotion relegation scenario, in some other countries, 'relegation' is not an option, and for people investing millions of pounds into a football club, relegation to a nondescript level is not what they want to gamble on.

In OZ for example, there is no relegation in the A League ...granted its not the biggest league in the world, but the problem of under capitalisation of clubs, has meant that the only way to attract money is to guarantee them tenure.

Even with that , clubs struggle to meet the outgoings, and without a guaranteed spot in the top diviison, investors would leave in droves.

Not sayng its good, or even preferable, but the idea of no relegation is not fantasy by any means.

Football clubs are under capitalised in most countries bar the elite clubs, and as we unfortunaetly know all too well, there are not that many people banging doors down to invest in clubs like ours..a les expensive way to spend a Saturday arvo no doubt would be to sit in the gutter ripping ten quid notes up and dropping them down a drain.

I'll levev it up to you current regular attendees at ER to dcide whether such a pastime would be less upsetting thansitting through 90 minutes at ER at the moment.:rolleyes:

basehibby
17-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Seems inconceivable to me, but in other ways its inevitable given the monopolisation of the game by a few big teams.

This is GREED in action pure and simple - these people do not care about the sport of football - they care about their bank balances and that is all.

Of course we are all familiar enough with the concept of no relegation in the mutual self interest society that is the Scottish League. All it does is encourage stagnation rather than competition - a closed shop, a monopoly - not healthy IMO.

CFC
17-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Good post FF. The American MLS is another example of a league that does not have promotion and relegation but it does very much have its financial house in order. All clubs operate under a wage cap and all the clubs are self sustaining and financially viable.

CFC
17-10-2011, 05:56 PM
This is GREED in action pure and simple - these people do not care about the sport of football - they care about their bank balances and that is all. Of course we are all familiar enough with the concept of no relegation in the mutual self interest society that is the Scottish League. All it does is encourage stagnation rather than competition - a closed shop, a monopoly - not healthy IMO.Clubs going into administration due to relegation is not healthy either. There is definitely a debate to be had regarding the merits and flaws of relegation.

EasterRoad4Ever
17-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Crazy stuff!!

:agree: Where do you stop? Only foreign owned clubs can qualify for the Champs League ? Any which spend more than £100m on players, get a 10 point start ?

Nonsense. Whichever club proposes that should automatically be relegated - that'll shut em up :greengrin

ancient hibee
17-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I imagine UEFA would call a halt to this idea-and only allow leagues with relegation to take part in the Champions League.

Hibrandenburg
17-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Good idea, lets start next year!

Oh wait a minute!

nonshinyfinish
17-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I dont want to see relegation abolished but it needs looking at imo based on the way it can leave clubs in financial ruination a la Leeds. If you want clubs to be financially sustainable you have to ensure that relegation does not cripple them financially. Else ALL clubs are just one bad campaign away from bankruptcy.

Leeds didn't go tits up because of relegation, they went tits up because they spent money that they couldn't afford. I have no sympathy at all.

CFC
17-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Leeds didn't go tits up because of relegation, they went tits up because they spent money that they couldn't afford. I have no sympathy at all.Money spent on the assumption they would be receiving EPL TV money, get EPL gates and qualify for the Champions League. Relegation is what ruined them forcing them to sell their best players like Kewell, Smith and Robinson, then into administration, a 10 point penalty and into the third division.

Sir David Gray
17-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I've never heard anything quite so stupid.

Relegations and promotions are such a massive part of football and scrapping them would just kill the sport. Clubs down south in the Championship dream of getting promotion to the Premiership, so that they can swap trips to Barnsley, Peterborough and Watford for games at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Anfield. They also have such a huge audience for the play-off matches each year.

There's no reason why a team that gets relegated from the Premiership should go into financial ruin. They just need to make sure that they cut their cloth accordingly and ensure that they don't spend excessive amounts of money that they don't really have.

I hope this proposal is rejected by every single right-thinking person who has the best interests of the game at heart.