PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wheldon RIP

(((Fergus)))
16-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Great driver.

robinp
16-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Today was supposed to be a day of celebration, a Franchitti title win, a Wheldon contract announcement with Andretti Autosport, new car and new era in 2012.

This is awful, I'm lost for words.

RIP Dan, you were some race driver.

hibbysam
16-10-2011, 11:11 PM
an absolute tragedy!!

what was supposed to be a celebration has turned into a disaster. thoughts are with dan's family and close friends, dario won the championship but that will mean absolutely bugger all to him, such a fitting way to send the young man off with a 5 lap tribute.. I wouldn't have liked to have been in the other drivers shoes that's for sure.. RIP Dan Wheldon

Sylar
17-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm absolutely astonished that he was the only one to be honest - that was one of the most horrific mass-crashes I've seen in a very long time!

Sad loss to the motorsport world.

The_Exile
17-10-2011, 08:53 AM
RIP Dan, should never have been a race at that track in the first place, tragic.

shagpile
17-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Some of the drivers expressed the view that it was a 'dangerous 'track simply because it was possible to run 3-4 cars wide & it was a 'flat' circuit, meaning there was no lifting off anywhere during a lap.
If that was[is] the case then they should have done something about it, like refuse to race.
Another factor may have been 34 cars on such a short circuit.
Sometimes common sense has to prevail. Money & entertainment have to take a back seat sometimes.

Oddly enough the 2012 calender was discussed last night on SKY & next season there will be only 5 oval races. Maybe Indy 500 should be the ONLY oval race.

Pity it always takes a fatality for things to change.

RIP Dan Wheldon.