PDA

View Full Version : clapping players at the end of a game

minglis
15-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I for one always clap our players at the end of any game. They may not always give us the performance we crave but I do think the abuse they get throughout some games helps with this.

I saw one man shouting abuse a a group at the end today for clapping our team. We all have choices and choose to show it in our own way but this was disgraceful.

Wheat Hound
15-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I for one always clap our players at the end of any game. They may not always give us the performance we crave but I do think the abuse they get throughout some games helps with this.

I saw one man shouting abuse a a group at the end today for clapping our team. We all have choices and choose to show it in our own way but this was disgraceful.

I think it's inevitable that the amount of sheer frustration and anger permeating our support at the moment will increasingly result in such confrontations at games. I've no issue with folk choosing to clap whomever they want at a game. However, I can fully understand and empathise with those venting their anger at the players and CC. People are paying far too much for the fare on offer, although if I was a Motherwell fan I'd be pretty happy just now with their team's results and, more impressively, the standard of football. Stuart McCall has really exceeded my expectations. I was sat right behind the away dugout today and his general enthusiasm, supportiveness of his team and positive instructions was in stark and depressing contrast to CC's dull thousand yard stare.

frazeHFC
15-10-2011, 11:09 PM
When Griffiths and Stevenson came to warm up in front of the FF stand i clapped as always when they go round the corner flag to where they warm up. The guy in front turned round to look at me, then faced the front doing a sarcastic clap to the other guy next to him. Same guys that didn't celebrate when Chris Hogg scored v Killie cause they don't like him...........btw

Albion Hibs
16-10-2011, 02:22 AM

Some of our support leave a lot to be desired, my view on it is that it is easy to support a team that wins 5 or 6 nil every week, supporting a team that is in our position is not as easy and the level of dedication and committment as a fan is there to be tested.

A similar thing happened to me when we got turned over by St J away a couple of seasons back when we got a midweek turning over. They got duely told to ram it.

nonshinyfinish
16-10-2011, 02:33 AM
When Griffiths and Stevenson came to warm up in front of the FF stand i clapped as always when they go round the corner flag to where they warm up. The guy in front turned round to look at me, then faced the front doing a sarcastic clap to the other guy next to him. Same guys that didn't celebrate when Chris Hogg scored v Killie cause they don't like him...........

Try again without the rampant homophobia. :bitchy:

EDIT: Admin intervention has rendered my post nonsensical. However, Fraze, have a good f****** look at yourself.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Im very confused by the previous post! Wheres the rampant homophobia?

frazeHFC
16-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Homophobia?

nonshinyfinish
16-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Homophobia?

Remember what your post looked like before it was edited?

Www1875hfc
16-10-2011, 09:47 AM

Calderwoods results are horendous, the footballs woefull, the team are terrible to watch, and crowds are turning their backs on the club.

Ken what, lets keep clapping the players of the park eh !!!!!!
How anybody can applaude whats getting served up is beyond me.
But each to there own ah suppose.

How dare that young man show passion for his club.Changed days indeed.

hibsbollah
16-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I clapped the players at the end because they were clapping us. I think they know they are shi'ite at present, and were apologising, which i appreciated. If the mister angrys in the crowd dont like this they can go and **** themselves TBH.

Theyre not a happy group of players and theyre not playing well. I think accusations of lack of effort are off the mark though.

Motherwell are also a better team than some of us would like to admit.

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I never clapped the team at the end, they would not have heard me from Albion Road.

frazeHFC
16-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Remember what your post looked like before it was edited? I do but it was not intended as homophobic abuse.

woody47
16-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I did not clap yesterday and I do not see why I should.

To clap, is an expression appreciation or approval.

I would guess then that all those who did clap the performances we have had must be watching a different game to me as the performances have been dire. If you want to clap, as its a free world, go ahead. For me, I will clap when the team on the park give me something to clap for.

Harpandcastle
16-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I do but it was not intended as homophobic abuse.

Oh come on Fraze, it does not matter how you intend things, its how it appears to the tantrum throwing queens that take offence at anything given the chance, surely you realise that its only their opinion that counts.

Just watch how you word things or you could find Peter Thatchell, Elton John and that Welsh rugby player coming looking for you, not a great thought I'm sure you will agree.

Hibrandenburg
16-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh come on Fraze, it does not matter how you intend things, its how it appears to the tantrum throwing queens that take offence at anything given the chance, surely you realise that its only their opinion that counts.

Just watch how you word things or you could find Peter Thatchell, Elton John and that Welsh rugby player coming looking for you, not a great thought I'm sure you will agree.

And you were doing so well.

minglis
16-10-2011, 02:37 PM
[/B]

Calderwoods results are horendous, the footballs woefull, the team are terrible to watch, and crowds are turning their backs on the club.

At what point did the group of people deserve getting abuse shouted at them.
That was not showing passion that was showing himself up as a twat.

Future17
16-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I stayed to clap at the end today, mainly because there were players out there who did put the effort in. I could name a few who I thought deserved a bit of recognition for their efforts but, in particular, I felt that Stack deserved some plaudits for keeping the Motherwell tally down.

On a more general note, I worry that when things are as bad as they are now, the relationship between the players and the fans starts to disintegrate and that can't be allowed to happen or we will all suffer as a result.

aunty joyce
16-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I stayed to clap at the end today, mainly because there were players out there who did put the effort in. I could name a few who I thought deserved a bit of recognition for their efforts but, in particular, I felt that Stack deserved some plaudits for keeping the Motherwell tally down.
On a more general note, I worry that when things are as bad as they are now, the relationship between the players and the fans starts to disintegrate and that can't be allowed to happen or we will all suffer as a result.

I hope the person who hurled the abuse at his 'Fellow Supporters' for applauding their team, reads your comments . . . it's a very sad day when 'supporters' turn on each other and the players on the pitch - as frustrating as our display can be at times venting your anger at the players during the game serves no purpose other than giving the opposition a lift.

Constructive criticism???

I dont think so!

aunty joyce
16-10-2011, 03:26 PM

I couldn't agree more . . . of course we're not happy at some of the performances or results, but abusing the players who are wearing the jersey on the pitch serves no purpose.

I am a Hibernian SUPPORTER . . . and for those of you who do not know the definition of Supporter, it means;

A person who Helps or Supports a person, cause or team

nowhere does it mention hurl abuse!!!

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I couldn't agree more . . . of course we're not happy at some of the performances or results, but abusing the players who are wearing the jersey on the pitch serves no purpose.

I am a Hibernian SUPPORTER . . . and for those of you who do not know the definition of Supporter, it means;

A person who Helps or Supports a person, cause or team

nowhere does it mention hurl abuse!!!

I remember when gay used to mean happy? smillies not working :)

Leith Green
16-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Lets all stay behind and applaud everyone after every game, because everythings so bloody great at our club right now.
I am genuinley shocked that anybody would want to applaud that pathetic excuse for a team or manager especially given a display such as yesterdays.

To the people who were applauding, can I ask what it was you were actually applauding? And to the supporters who think clapping at the players regardless of result & display makes them more of a supporter, get a grip and realise that anyone who is paying to watch that rubbish week in week out is loyal supporter and they have every right to boo or not applaud when they feel justifyibly let down.

Lets all clap our way into the first division, sub 5k crowds, lets all applaud our useless manager, under performing players, and our bizarre chief executive.

frazeHFC
16-10-2011, 06:04 PM
I think the clapping of Stack was more than justified.

Tricla
16-10-2011, 06:27 PM

When Griffiths and Stevenson came to warm up in front of the FF stand i clapped as always when they go round the corner flag to where they warm up. The guy in front turned round to look at me, then faced the front doing a sarcastic clap to the other guy next to him. Same guys that didn't celebrate when Chris Hogg scored v Killie cause they don't like him...........btw

There were plenty of pr*cks just like this in the East yesterday as well.

It's these morons that make ER a horrid place to be right now. Not the gantin fitba.

I've supported Hibs through plenty of rough times but never do I remember there being so many idiots shouting so much counter productive abuse at the players and their fellow Hibbies.

It's these choobs that make me not want to go back.

aunty joyce
16-10-2011, 07:03 PM
There were plenty of pr*cks just like this in the East yesterday as well.

It's these morons that make ER a horrid place to be right now. Not the gantin fitba.

I've supported Hibs through plenty of rough times but never do I remember there being so many idiots shouting so much counter productive abuse at the players and their fellow Hibbies.

It's these choobs that make me not want to go back.

Please do NOT stop going to ER . . . Can you imagine how much worse the place would be if it were only full of these QUOTE 'Supporters' we just need to drown them out with encouragement to the players when they start hurling their bile!!!

aunty joyce
16-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Lets all stay behind and applaud everyone after every game, because everythings so bloody great at our club right now.
I am genuinley shocked that anybody would want to applaud that pathetic excuse for a team or manager especially given a display such as yesterdays.

To the people who were applauding, can I ask what it was you were actually applauding? And to the supporters who think clapping at the players regardless of result & display makes them more of a supporter, get a grip and realise that anyone who is paying to watch that rubbish week in week out is loyal supporter and they have every right to boo or not applaud when they feel justifyibly let down.

Lets all clap our way into the first division, sub 5k crowds, lets all applaud our useless manager, under performing players, and our bizarre chief executive.

Well if going into the first division means we get rid of the idiots who boo and abuse the players maybe it's a punishment worth taking . . . anyone can be a 'fair weather' supporter hence the reason Celtic & Rangers have so many supporters from all over the country as for me i'll continue to support the Hibees win, lose or draw!!!

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2011, 07:26 PM
So you will happily applaud that rubbish every week?

Www1875hfc
16-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Well if going into the first division means we get rid of the idiots who boo and abuse the players maybe it's a punishment worth taking . . . anyone can be a 'fair weather' supporter hence the reason Celtic & Rangers have so many supporters from all over the country as for me i'll continue to support the Hibees win, lose or draw!!!

Behave Aunty Joyce. A punishment worth taking? have a word wi yersell,the club cant afford to take the drop.

But i can rest assured you will be the only "fair weather" supporter clapping us into division 1.
The fans are staying away in droves,and rightly so.

Alfred E Newman
16-10-2011, 07:34 PM

What a load of absolute nonsense though your lack of posts over the last 3 years suggests you may be an infiltrator. I didn`t clap the players off yesterday as I only do that when they deserve it. I didn`t boo them off either , I just got up of my seat and went home, pretty downhearted I may add. People around me near the tunnel did which surprised me but that is up to them.

Leith Green
16-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Uberfan alert....

Fair weather fan? Hahahahaha, I think you will find anyone who is still going to watch that current excuse for a team and manager is a loyal supporter, just because they dont applaud that rubbish doesnt make them any less of a supporter. And just because I dont happily clap my way through watching complete disasters of ninety minutes does not mean I abuse players either..

aunty joyce
16-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Of course i dont want to see my team in the First Division but neither do i want to witness the recent hostile atmosphere at Easter Rd and think it is absolutely shocking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same but i would like someone to explain what positive they think can come out of abusing our players during the game?

frazeHFC
16-10-2011, 11:12 PM
The games are boring right now, yet i enjoy going. What is making me not enjoy the matchday is the fools you get everywhere.

Frazerbob
17-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I could not believe the number of folk applauding at full time. Acceptance of that type of performance is one reason we are in the position we are.

That was my first game at ER since the Berwick game and I was absolutely shocked at the apathy shown by the vast majority of the crowd. A large percentage of the Hibs support, both those that are still attending and those who are now spending their hard earned else where on match days, simply don't care any more. Sad days!

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Frazer, Its sad days indeed, I believe a lot of us Hibbies are taking their lead from the perceived atitudes of a lot of the people actually employed by the club. Whilst its more than likely a misconception the silence from the figureheads of our club is deafening when things start to go awry.

Phil MaGlass
17-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Hibs supporters accept mediocrity because they wont stand up and be counted. Its really quite simple. To clap players off the park who havent given 100% is the norm at ER. Never understood it masel.

Frazerbob
17-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Frazer, Its sad days indeed, I believe a lot of us Hibbies are taking their lead from the perceived atitudes of a lot of the people actually employed by the club. Whilst its more than likely a misconception the silence from the figureheads of our club is deafening when things start to go awry.

Totally agree mate. I had a very calm and reasoned e-mail discussion with Fyfe a couple of months ago where I was expressing my concerns about the current manager and general downward spiral. The complete nonsense he spouted whilst defending the club was shocking. Whilst I didn't expect him to come out and slate Calderwood or the current set up, he was either in complete denial about the problems at the club or simply couldn't see what was in front of his face. After a few e-mails each he simply cut me off and didn't show anything that would suggest the club cares that folk like myself (a ST hoilder for 25 years until last season) are being lost to the club in their thousands.

Twa Cairpets
17-10-2011, 10:02 AM
[/B]

I saw the incident as I was coming down the stairs that the OP referred to.

The guy wasnt showing passion for his club. He was being an absolute, out of order erse, volleying a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse at group of three middle aged women who were very politely clapping. Presumably if this guy claims he has a right to boo and castigate the team because he's "been a season ticket holder for f******* 22 years", he'd support the right for other people who have made the same outlay to support the team in the way they deem fit - in this case clapping.

This isnt (or shouldnt) be about whether or not the team deserve booed, its about whether or not adults can behave in a faintly appropropriate manner to other adults who have done nothing whatsoever to them. The guy wasn't showing passion for his/our/their club, he was showing himself to be an out of control big bairn who picked on an easy target.

Lucius Apuleius
17-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Did not appalud. Neither did I boo. I guess that would have been the same as most folk. Certainly was with the two whom I was with.

Bishop Hibee
17-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Did not appalud. Neither did I boo. I guess that would have been the same as most folk. Certainly was with the two whom I was with.

As it was with myself and the 5 I was with. Beaten by a better team. Booed after the Dons home game as that was truly unacceptable. I can understand people booing at HT or FT but while I might shout out in frustration during the game, the level of booing during the game on Saturday was OTT in my opinion.

It's dark times at ER and I'm really not sure where the club is going and whether the board know either. Could yet be Div 1 which would be a total disaster. I can't see any stand out candidates for manager. Danny Lennon? Give Billy Brown a go? Put names in a hat and hope for the best?

flash
17-10-2011, 12:31 PM
As it was with myself and the 5 I was with. Beaten by a better team. Booed after the Dons home game as that was truly unacceptable. I can understand people booing at HT or FT but while I might shout out in frustration during the game, the level of booing during the game on Saturday was OTT in my opinion.

It's dark times at ER and I'm really not sure where the club is going and whether the board know either. Could yet be Div 1 which would be a total disaster. I can't see any stand out candidates for manager. Danny Lennon? Give Billy Brown a go? Put names in a hat and hope for the best?

There must have been two games on Saturday as there was hardly any booing at the one i attended more a meek acceptance of how bad we have become.

If you wanted to see booing and abuse then the Miller years were much more like it as was most of Bobby Williamson's reign and towards the end of Yogi's tenure. It's like a Sunday School picnic just now compared to those days.

hibsbollah
17-10-2011, 01:15 PM
There must have been two games on Saturday as there was hardly any booing at the one i attended more a meek acceptance of how bad we have become.If you wanted to see booing and abuse then the Miller years were much more like it as was most of Bobby Williamson's reign and towards the end of Yogi's tenure. It's like a Sunday School picnic just now compared to those days.Agree. If anything the crowd are being bored but patient.

Twa Cairpets
17-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Agree. If anything the crowd are being bored but patient.

Or comatose.

hibsbollah
17-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Or comatose. Silence is approval :greengrin

basehibby
17-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I could not believe the number of folk applauding at full time. Acceptance of that type of performance is one reason we are in the position we are.

That was my first game at ER since the Berwick game and I was absolutely shocked at the apathy shown by the vast majority of the crowd. A large percentage of the Hibs support, both those that are still attending and those who are now spending their hard earned else where on match days, simply don't care any more. Sad days!

There's only so much foaming at the mouth you can do before you end up popping a blood vessel or something - most of the Hibbys going at the moment are sort of numbed to the sheightness of it all I think.

Also there's famously different styles of Hibby don't ya know - there's those that believe in stalwartly supplying positive support to the team at all times no matter what (the Happy Clappers) and there's those that believe in different kinds of "active" support including protests, boycotts and actively telling certain (under) performers exactly how sheight they are and how they aren't fit to grace the jersey (the Doom and Gloomers). They are often set up as two different camps on here but in reality they all have they're parts to play in supporting Hibernian FC.

Right now I think most of the D&Gs are probably in full boycott mode and even the remaining HCs have been dulled into a sort of semi-stupor by the relentless pish on display - hence the sense of apathy. As for the end-of-game-clapper contingent, they would presumably represent the extreme wing of the HCs applauding in the belief that the players needed encouragement in recognition of a much improved second half - not something I was indulging in myself but you know what? Taking the game in isolation they were probably right.

edinburghhibee
18-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Please do NOT stop going to ER . . . Can you imagine how much worse the place would be if it were only full of these QUOTE 'Supporters' we just need to drown them out with encouragement to the players when they start hurling their bile!!!

aunty joyce, are you being serious??? :confused:

I am one of these QUOTE 'supporters' that shout at the players my opinions, if their playing removed I'll tell them. It sounds to me like if these players were to get us relegated into Div 1 next season you'll still be there clapping them "well played boys good effort" get tae removed
If I perform removed at work my boss gets on my back, the customers also get on my back. If the players canna take it they know where the door is. We need players who want to play for us, want to fight for the jersey and most importantly want to win when I see this on the park I will happily clap them off.

We are shocking at the moment and if you want to clap them off the park at half time or full time after they play as badly as they did on Saturday in the first half, then thats your choice but don't come on here slating the fans who wish to vent their frustrations by telling the players some home truths.

Holmesdale Hibs
18-10-2011, 10:29 AM
The amount of fans shouting abuse at players at ER has been getting worse year on year. No one is questioning a supporters 'right' to do it, but its we should be seriously questioning the point. Makes for a **** atmosphere and doesn't help the team and is completely pointless IMO. Booing should be reserved for cheats, opposition players and dodgy referees. When I go to an way game and the home fans turn on their team I think we're half way there.

As was said earlier, if we're really so bad that the team doesn't merit applause (which has been the case on some occasions), then just leave quietly after the game.

Bishop Hibee
18-10-2011, 10:42 AM
There must have been two games on Saturday as there was hardly any booing at the one i attended more a meek acceptance of how bad we have become.

If you wanted to see booing and abuse then the Miller years were much more like it as was most of Bobby Williamson's reign and towards the end of Yogi's tenure. It's like a Sunday School picnic just now compared to those days.

Sounded different from my seat in the east. Loads of booing about 20 minutes in. I personally thought at 'only' 0-1 down it was OTT. Can't complain with anyone booing at the end and I wouldn't have clapped that mince.

I was there home and away during the Miller years and I agree, there were lots of 'Miller must go' chants, abuse of players like Brian Hamilton etc. but there were also games were you accepted you'd been beaten by a better team whether we liked it or not. I don't think the players deserve all the abuse as a number of them are not good enough but any sustained vitriol should go towards the board. We're at the stage now that Farmer. Petrie etc need to look at fresh faces and strategies to move the club forward.