PDA

View Full Version : Citeh

Dashing Bob S
15-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Great t' see them roar t' top table. Them red lads from Surrey might be worried!

CB_NO3
15-10-2011, 05:38 PM
United are in control so far, they have played Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Yids and away to Stoke and are unbeaten. City have not really played anyone. City are the most horrible club in the world. Hate them. They are everything that is wrong with football these days. A rank club who have just been made good due to money. You can argue Man Utd spend money but they have earnt that right by building the club through success. Give me United, Liverpool and Arsenal winning titles any day over City and Chelsea.

Hibs Class
15-10-2011, 05:47 PM
United are as mercenary as chelsea or city. They just found different ways of raising cash and, as you infer, they were spending big before anyone else. None of the clubs you mention has earned the right to claim any moral high ground. And if you are referring to spurs you should call them spurs rather than some spurious, questionable term.

SteveHFC
15-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I hope Man City win nothing this season. They don't deserve it :agree:

James70
15-10-2011, 06:01 PM
City could win the Champions League five years in a row and they still wouldn't get the size of crowds United get.

It's all about a history which stretches back to the Busby Babes and beyond, something which money can't buy.

bathhibby
15-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Go to the Man City Board and post this sh** as this one is about Hibs

I don't give a FF about city or utd because I'm a Hibby

Dashing Bob S
16-10-2011, 12:50 AM
City could win the Champions League five years in a row and they still wouldn't get the size of crowds United get.

It's all about a history which stretches back to the Busby Babes and beyond, something which money can't buy.

You can't buy a plane crash? I would hope not.

United had no history to speak of till the Munich disaster. They got the sympathy vote there and were fortunate enough to have Best, Charlton and Law come along after that.

joe breezy
16-10-2011, 08:35 AM
United had no history? Like Hibs had no history till the Famous 5?

All teams have history especially those founded in the 1870s. They started as a railway workers team and big success didn't come till Matt Busby took over till 1945. Matt played for Hibs during the war.

If history just equals winning league titles I'm sure there's quite a few teams with no history.

With regards to City, their fans have followed them through thick & thin so I don't grudge them success.

I just find it frustrating that Hibs will probably never become a good football team again in terms of relationship to top teams a couple of hundred miles away in England...

PISTOL1875
16-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I hope Man City win nothing this season. They don't deserve it :agree:

Explain how City don't deserve to win anything ??

PISTOL1875
16-10-2011, 11:07 AM
United are in control so far, they have played Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Yids and away to Stoke and are unbeaten. City have not really played anyone. City are the most horrible club in the world. Hate them. They are everything that is wrong with football these days. A rank club who have just been made good due to money. You can argue Man Utd spend money but they have earnt that right by building the club through success. Give me United, Liverpool and Arsenal winning titles any day over City and Chelsea.

You must be one of these jealous Manure fans who can't stomach the fact that City are gonna overtake United soon enough....

CB_NO3
16-10-2011, 11:27 AM
You must be one of these jealous Manure fans who can't stomach the fact that City are gonna overtake United soon enough....

Its the way its done I dont like. I am a tradionalist when it comes to football and I dont mind any team in the world having success if they have earnt it. United, Arsenal and Liverpool have dominated English Football for the last 30 years. They have built the clubs through success, built their fan bases through success, built there stadiums bit by bit through success. They got to where they are today on merit. Now City and Chelsea were two rubbish clubs. They have became top clubs through money and money only. For any Hibs fan to think thats great is a fool IMO. We are a club who is living within our means, built a top training ground, a top stadium with the money we had. We never relied on some rich Arab or Russian giving us the money. Now say Aberdeen got some billionaire on board (chances are slim I know) and won the SPL and dominated for the next 10 years, would you sit here and go, its great that the Old Firm dont win the league anymore? Meanwhile Hibs are still struggling to make ways in Scottish football trying to live within our means. Dont think so.

joe breezy
16-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Chelsea weren't that bad prior to Abramovich...
City were rubbish but have had some success in the past

I don't buy that success should only be for clubs that are big already thing, that would mean only Rangers & Celtic 'deserve' success in Scotland?

If we played in a decent league I doubt we'd be complaining if someone wanted to put money into the club...

Although I know some people manage to maintain a healthy cynicism against the big money men eg FC United of Manchester

PISTOL1875
16-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Its the way its done I dont like. I am a tradionalist when it comes to football and I dont mind any team in the world having success if they have earnt it. United, Arsenal and Liverpool have dominated English Football for the last 30 years. They have built the clubs through success, built their fan bases through success, built there stadiums bit by bit through success. They got to where they are today on merit. Now City and Chelsea were two rubbish clubs. They have became top clubs through money and money only. For any Hibs fan to think thats great is a fool IMO. We are a club who is living within our means, built a top training ground, a top stadium with the money we had. We never relied on some rich Arab or Russian giving us the money. Now say Aberdeen got some billionaire on board (chances are slim I know) and won the SPL and dominated for the next 10 years, would you sit here and go, its great that the Old Firm dont win the league anymore? Meanwhile Hibs are still struggling to make ways in Scottish football trying to live within our means. Dont think so.

Oh you don't like it do you ?? Poor little you then.. You have to be a red with comments like that...

I couldn't give a flying one is some Billionaire took over Aberdeen and made them league winners.. Infact , I would be glad to see any team break the strangle hold of the old firm( apart from Hertz that is )...

How would you feel is tom Farmer decided to spend some his fortune on the team and gave CC a blank cheque book ?? Would you embrace it and look forward to Hibs having a better standard of player on show or would you be against it and just go with the mediocre bunch of players we have on show now ??

Spike Mandela
16-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I prefer to think of it in terms of the fans. It would be great to see the City fans getting a reward for supporting a team that hasn't won much in recent years whilst having to endure the constant success(and no doubt gloating) of their rivals.

If we were taking over by a rich(foolish) billionaire and won the league i'm sure many critics would accuse us of buying the league and not earning it like the OF. What a load of tosh. Do OF fans deserve success more than us?

I think it is refreshing.

HibeeMcGinn1
16-10-2011, 02:10 PM

United had no history to speak of till the Munich disaster. They got the sympathy vote there and were fortunate enough to have Best, Charlton and Law come along after that.

typical p!sh. absolute arse.

Dashing Bob S
16-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Love the reasoned debate here.

Perhaps your right. The plane crash had nothing to do with Man U's popularity. Neither did Best, Law or Charlton. Thanks for putting me right.

They just deserve to win everything as they're on telly a lot.

IWasThere2016
16-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Mon the City! Derby next week should be great viewing :agree:

Since90+2
16-10-2011, 04:12 PM
They will finish behind Man Utd and Chelsea this season so will have to wait until next season to try and buy the title :agree:

Ryan69
16-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Great t' see them roar t' top table. Them red lads from Surrey might be worried!

Who did you support before the money arrived? Like 99% of the fans,probably only latched onto them in the last couple of years.....Its called GloryHunting!

Leith Green
16-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Manchester Citys supporters deserve everything that they do end up winning, quite possibly the most loyal set of supporters in English football. I personally dont like the way the money has changed the club, however I dont see how you can grudge the club success given the size of the club and the crowds they got when they were keek.

Its clubs like Blackburn buying the title that I really don't like, similar to Gretna and Livingston in terms of smaller size of clubs trying to buy sucess.

Leith Green
16-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Who did you support before the money arrived? Like 99% of the fans,probably only latched onto them in the last couple of years.....Its called GloryHunting!

Utter garbage to suggest Citys fans are glory hunters, really really silly statement to make actually.

.Sean.
16-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Cage. Rattled.

LancashireHibby
16-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Utter garbage to suggest Citys fans are glory hunters, really really silly statement to make actually.

As you can imagine, I already know plenty of Citeh fans (the type who took time off school to go to Wycombe away on a Tuesday night - true story btw!), but the numbers have grown significantly over the past couple of years.

The best indicator is probably with how busy the pubs are when they're on TV, and there are definitely either a lot of people who have hidden their allegiances in the past or there are people jumping on the bandwagon. Still want them to win the derby, mind.

Leith Green
16-10-2011, 07:48 PM
As you can imagine, I already know plenty of Citeh fans (the type who took time off school to go to Wycombe away on a Tuesday night - true story btw!), but the numbers have grown significantly over the past couple of years.

The best indicator is probably with how busy the pubs are when they're on TV, and there are definitely either a lot of people who have hidden their allegiances in the past or there are people jumping on the bandwagon. Still want them to win the derby, mind.

They are no different from any other club in that there will always be a chunk of supporters who come out of the woodwork when the good times come.
My point is that sometimes its better to judge a club and their support when they arent doing well, By the way City were getting 30k plus when playing in the third tier of English football and by no means were they winning every week either by the way. Regularly getting 40k plus whilst being lower half premiership prior to investment.

City are a big club with one of the best supports in British football, unbelievable amount of loyalty from their support over the years. Their fans deserve everything they achieve in my opinion.

johnrebus
16-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Went down by train to Blackburn to watch City a couple of weeks ago and thought the City fans were brilliant. Great sense of humour, self effacing and honest enough to say they didn't care where the money was coming from, they just want to enjoy this. Did not come across as glory seekers.

Most telling comment from one guy, who quietly said, ' the red ***** know its coming, if not this season, then next season and they do not like it one little bit'.

Good luck to them. Just a pity that Sheik Mansour could not shake the lose change out of his pocket next time he's down Easter Road way........,

:greengrin

DAVE1875
17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
The main problem with City is what's going on within the club. I remember one pundit saying that Man City are having problem's with their players gelling together. Look at Balotelli for example, says he didn't like England and wanted to return home to Italy. And dare I mention Tevez.

Man United have had basically the same squad, with the edition of a few new faces, for years. They know the club inside out and they know how eachother plays. Then again I'm not sure why Fergie decided to start Rooney, Hernandez & Nani on the bench. Judging by how long it took United to score after they came on I'd say United would've probably won if he started them.

I just can't see City winning the title this year, too much unrest in the dressing room with the Tevez situation and if Tevez does leave some other players may question their own position within the club.

Hibs90
17-10-2011, 12:14 PM
If City could pick up a win in the derby, then maybe even a victory or two in the Champions League, then their confidence will sky-rocket even more and will walk the title IMO. If they get beat by 2 or 3 goals then they can kiss goodbye to the title IMO.

southfieldhibby
17-10-2011, 12:50 PM

History comes over time, but even before Munich Manchester United were the no.1 team in England.My dad is from Newton Heath (Failsworth,actually) and, being born in 1942 he was raised watching Taylor,Coleman,Edwards and the rest.He loved them so much he named me after one of the players who died that day.His belief (thru red-tinted glasses) is that that team would have dominated English and European football for years,including the majestic Real Madrid team of Di Stefano & Puskas and the only reason Bobby Moore played for England was because Duncan Edwards was dead.He also reckons that the holy trinity and the rest of the mid/late 60's team were no match for the team that went before.

As for City, good luck to them.I've got uncles/cousins who have endured almost 40 years of mediocrity and these guys deserve the potential success coming their way.I've stood on the kippax and the stretty and love Manchester football, I hope they share the spoils of trophies between them for years.

heretoday
17-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I predict that Chelsea will win the Premier League.

Skanko79
17-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Love the City negativity on here, almost as comical as the all the anti scotland crap. How anyone can say City will never have as big a fanbase as United is beyond me, Lets not forget Maine Road was sold out every other week when City plumeted down the divisions. There is scope to increase capacity at COMS and it will happen, and it will be sold out every week. Regardless of anyones feelings of money being pumped into a club if any club deserves it then its City. For anyone to say they wouldnt like that to happen to their club is complete and utter rubbish.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Love the City negativity on here, almost as comical as the all the anti scotland crap. How anyone can say City will never have as big a fanbase as United is beyond me, Lets not forget Maine Road was sold out every other week when City plumeted down the divisions. There is scope to increase capacity at COMS and it will happen, and it will be sold out every week. Regardless of anyones feelings of money being pumped into a club if any club deserves it then its City. For anyone to say they wouldnt like that to happen to their club is complete and utter rubbish.

Not true, i switch the radio on every day down here, and they are advertising tickets every week for the city games. Only 5 minutes ago they were selling tickets for the european game too. To be fair, Man U are doing the same at the minute, and they are for the derby game against city. And while their crowds were good in the 2nd and 3rd tier, they DID NOT sell out every week.

I like city, a couple of my best friends are city fans. And to see just how happy they are just now, after years of living in the shadow of the red ***** as they call them is really nice.

southfieldhibby
17-10-2011, 03:28 PM

couple of things.

City will never have the same fanbase as United, whether that's in Manchester,England or in the world...all this baws about Surrey and Stockport taken into consideration.I think according to some report, United have the most fans in the world.

I don't think Maine road was ever sold out, possibly the odd derby or the granny stabbers, but in the lower leagues?Not.A.Chance.Old Trafford rarely sells out and I'm offered tickets for pretty much every game there...even the biggies.English football is at the start of a down-turn imo.

If City do increase COMS, they'll have more fans dressed up as blue seats than they currently do.

Skanko79
17-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Not true, i switch the radio on every day down here, and they are advertising tickets every week for the city games. Only 5 minutes ago they were selling tickets for the european game too. To be fair, Man U are doing the same at the minute, and they are for the derby game against city. And while their crowds were good in the 2nd and 3rd tier, they DID NOT sell out every week.

I like city, a couple of my best friends are city fans. And to see just how happy they are just now, after years of living in the shadow of the red ***** as they call them is really nice.

I have been to the new stadium lots since they moved, i agree with what you say as i have a few of the times managed to get tickets no problems but other times have struggled, a couple of trips have been made down with no luck at all as well. I remember going to Maine Road to see City V Brighton (sure it was them) and NOT getting tickets for it!! Mental, although all the other times i went i got tickets no problem.

Skanko79
17-10-2011, 03:39 PM
couple of things.

City will never have the same fanbase as United, whether that's in Manchester,England or in the world...all this baws about Surrey and Stockport taken into consideration.I think according to some report, United have the most fans in the world.

I don't think Maine road was ever sold out, possibly the odd derby or the granny stabbers, but in the lower leagues?Not.A.Chance.Old Trafford rarely sells out and I'm offered tickets for pretty much every game there...even the biggies.English football is at the start of a down-turn imo.

If City do increase COMS, they'll have more fans dressed up as blue seats than they currently do.

Complete Drivel. Rest of your post doesnt even merit a responce.

southfieldhibby
17-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Complete Drivel. Rest of your post doesnt even merit a responce.

OK, tell me how it's complete drivel.I claim that City will never have as many fans as United, whether that's worldwide,in The UK or even Manchester. Now United aren't even based in the COM, but they have more fans there than City, if I use my extended Mancunian family of about 50 people to base my opinion on it's approx 60/40 in United's favour.So the team not from Manchester has more Mancunian fans than the Manchester team.
Moving onto England as a whole, are you suggesting City have the same amount of fans as United (ABU's not allowed) and then worldwide, you are having a laugh.City won't even be in the top 20.

City are buying success and good luck to them for that, much like Chelsea have.They'll win trophies and their support will be happy, but they'll for ever be in the shadow of United and Liverpool.

muzzhfc
17-10-2011, 04:35 PM
gotta love the amount of abuse us Hibs fans are throwing at each other regarding this.

heres my take. im a Man Utd fan as well as a Hibs fan and have been for years (before the treble before anyone says anything). I hate teams like Chelski and Citeh who suddenly get a billionair owner, come along and think they can buy everything. I just dont agree with it. its the O/F mentality of "that players decent, we can afford to have too many players, lets sign them and never play them". Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal have got money because of their success, not got success because of their money (as previously mentioned)
Im not saying im against teams coming along and challenging for the league, infact i love it, spurs have done things properly over the last few years with shrewed business. I want teams like that to come along and upset the order, makes things more interesting.

Now if someone came along (lets say a Russian banking tycoon) and took over a decent team, who lets say, play their football in moron and play at a pink bus shelter (you cant say hearts arent a decent team, they are, their league positions over the past few years say as much) came along and said "we will bring world cup stars to our club" "within x amount of years we will have won the champions league" etc then we would want them to fail. even if it wasnt hearts. its the arrogance. Comrad Vlad came along and said he was going to spend the money and said all that pish. hasnt happened and now he looks like an arse.
Lets say it was Motherwell (who are having a good season currently and havent done a citeh or chelski) who had a billionair investor. we would welcome it for a while then we would get bored (O/F +1) domminance.

Heres the thing though, if it happened to Hibs, I'd be delighted. Us football fans are a fickle bunch. At the end of the day, we are Hibs fans first and foremost, Im all for city challenging for the league, I just dont like the way the have gone about it.

muzzhfc
17-10-2011, 04:37 PM
p.s that comment on the first page about not being able to buy a plane crash. bit sick dont you think?? why not make a hillsbrough or an ibrox disaster joke while your at it.

TheMentalHibees
17-10-2011, 05:10 PM

As said by Sir Alex Ferguson himself; "They pay the wages, we win the trophies". City can spend all the money they like, they will never be United. We play as a team, City play with mercenaries. Proof? Carlos Tevez.

Dashing Bob S
17-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Same as I 'support' now - Hibs. And the last time I looked the money had still to arrive.

Don't support Citeh, or any any other English club, and tbh, I couldn't really give a toss about who wins the EPL. The big half-dozen clubs are all sleazy, corrupt corporations in my book, and a new money supplanting older money only makes things marginally less tedious, as you know that the real ultimate determinate of success is the wage bill. I find it amusing though, that so many Scots can get passionate about English football clubs. Thus the post.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 05:18 PM
As said by Sir Alex Ferguson himself; "They pay the wages, we win the trophies". City can spend all the money they like, they will never be United. We play as a team, City play with mercenaries. Proof? Carlos Tevez.

Would that be the same Tevez that played for Man United? Man United know its coming, might not be this season, maybe not even next, but City will win the league, and they will take over as the team that win it more often than not.

Unless United or Chelsea or some other club get someone as rich to take them on its inevitable.

What is not known is how long it will last?

PISTOL1875
17-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeh you win trophies. Both teams one each trophy last season.. Fair play to Manure , they won the league. Also City won the FA Cup.. Remember the semi ??

CFC
17-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Some real ignorant pish spouted in this thread regarding Chelsea. We pumped Barca 3-1 in the Champions League in 2000 three years BEFORE Abramovich bought us. Just because Chelsea and Hibs have not historically won as much as Liverpool and Celtic respectively does not make them "rubbish clubs". Only a snob like CB would think that.

James70
17-10-2011, 05:59 PM
At the end of the day let's just face it.

A bright red strip is a damn sight more attractive than a manky light blue one. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2011, 06:31 PM
At the end of the day let's just face it.

A bright red strip is a damn sight more attractive than a manky light blue one. :greengrin

:agree: Or any shade of blue :greengrin

LancashireHibby
17-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I would like to state that, despite my dislike of the Rags, all this pish about there being only one team in Manchester is exactly that...pish. Just because they're in Trafford Borough doesn't mean it isn't Manchester - the equivalent would probably be to same that there aren't any professional clubs in London because none of them are in the City of London.

I do find it quite hypocritical though when United fans talk about Chelsea and Citeh 'buying' the league when you consider how much United paid out for Cantona, Bruce, Pallister, Schmeichel, Keane, Hughes (second time around), Ince...even Brian McClair cost £850,000 which would have been a big sum in 1987. The spending might not be big in modern terms, but realistically they spent more money than anyone else and the vast majority of the 92/93 league winners were bought from elsewhere (in fact, only Clayton Blackmore, Ryan Giggs, Darren Ferguson and Hughes played more than 10 games that season having originally come through United's youth set up).

CFC
17-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Dont forget Mike Phelan and Neil Webb. In the late 80s Ferguson spent a fortune at United (Im no complaining just stating a fact).

LancashireHibby
17-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Dont forget Mike Phelan and Neil Webb. In the late 80s Ferguson spent a fortune at United (Im no complaining just stating a fact).

Didn't include either of them as Webb had already left and Phelan only started a handful of games the year United won their first title. It was only from 93/94 and certainly 94/95 that the Neville's, Butt, Scholes and Beckham started to emerge, which I think means Hibs should get some credit for bringing through youngsters in to a side that isn't winning pots every year (or at all in our case!)

CFC
17-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Didn't include either of them as Webb had already left and Phelan only started a handful of games the year United won their first title. It was only from 93/94 and certainly 94/95 that the Neville's, Butt, Scholes and Beckham started to emerge, which I think means Hibs should get some credit for bringing through youngsters in to a side that isn't winning pots every year (or at all in our case!)Fair do's for some reason I thought that Webb was still there for the first title, I stand corrected!

TheMentalHibees
17-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Would that be the same Tevez that played for Man United? Man United know its coming, might not be this season, maybe not even next, but City will win the league, and they will take over as the team that win it more often than not.

Unless United or Chelsea or some other club get someone as rich to take them on its inevitable.

What is not known is how long it will last?

The very same Tevez who Fergie let go and who is now hoovering a massive wage off City for doing hee-haw? Indeed. There's no denying they may win the league eventually, but they'll never come close to 19, soon to be 20. It worked for Chelsea for a few years, but United pulled them back, and they'll do the same to City.

blackpoolhibs
17-10-2011, 09:38 PM
The very same Tevez who Fergie let go and who is now hoovering a massive wage off City for doing hee-haw? Indeed. There's no denying they may win the league eventually, but they'll never come close to 19, soon to be 20. It worked for Chelsea for a few years, but United pulled them back, and they'll do the same to City.

If it makes you feel better you keep telling yourself that. As for Tevez hoovering up the money for doing hee haw, if there's one club in the world it makes no difference to its Man City. as long as this new invester is around, they will out bid you chelsea and anyone else you care to mention.

As i said before, i have no idea just how long this will last. But neither do you, and thats the funny thing for me. Watching these Man United fans, who have to be the most arrogant supporters i have ever met starting to sweat is hilarious. You know its coming, you know its going to be painfull, its just counting down the days.

PISTOL1875
17-10-2011, 09:44 PM
If it makes you feel better you keep telling yourself that. As for Tevez hoovering up the money for doing hee haw, if there's one club in the world it makes no difference to its Man City. as long as this new invester is around, they will out bid you chelsea and anyone else you care to mention.

As i said before, i have no idea just how long this will last. But neither do you, and thats the funny thing for me. Watching these Man United fans, who have to be the most arrogant supporters i have ever met starting to sweat is hilarious. You know its coming, you know its going to be painfull, its just counting down the days.

Its coming Gary , its coming indeed..

THE ECLIPSE IS COMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That lot just haven't realized it yet....

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Wait until the books have to balance in 2014! Chelsea and Manchester City are the two clubs most guilty of overspending and then using cash injections from their rich benefactors to balance the books. Yet both are on the record of being confident they will eventually become financially sustainable.

There is scepticism among football finance experts how City’s Abu Dhabi owners can possibly indulge a loss of £121m last year and break even within three years. One avenue is generating more commercial income. Even without the sell of Champions League football, City’s commercial revenue more than doubled last year to £52.8m, nearly £9 more than that of Arsenal, an established member of Europe’s elite.

Yet a simple glance at City’s official website reveals the club’s sponsors are predominantly linked to the owners. Shirt sponsor Etihad Airways, telecommunications company Etisalat, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and investment company AABAR are all based in the Middle East. Even Ferrostaal, a virtually unknown German engineering company, have been taken over by the Abu Dhabi government.

This has raised suspicion that clubs such as City can bypass FFP rules by means such as sponsorship. Not so, say Uefa, who stress all deals will be market-tested for fair value.

“Nobody should try to be clever about the possibility of circumnavigating the rules,” warned Infantino. “If the panel have the feeling that the rules are circumnavigated, then this corresponds to a violation.”

CFC
17-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Moores underwrote Liverpool for years, dont kid yourself that all the money Liverpool had when they were good came from gate receipts.

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Moores underwrote Liverpool for years, dont kid yourself that all the money Liverpool had when they were good came from gate receipts.

Gate receipts!!! Think you'll find a lot more was raised from other avenues as well. Anyway that's got nothing to do with the point I raised about balancing the books in 2014. Everton were the first to benefit from Moores money in the 60's but never managed to build on it!

CB_NO3
17-10-2011, 11:02 PM

You dont have to be a genious to work out City will win the league soon. Am pretty sure 80% of United fans will probably accept that. It happened with Chelsea and its now going to happen with City. But they will never be the top club in England. Everytime City win the title United will win it twice.

Scouse Hibee
17-10-2011, 11:10 PM
You dont have to be a genious to work out City will win the league soon. Am pretty sure 80% of United fans will probably accept that. It happened with Chelsea and its now going to happen with City. But they will never be the top club in England. Everytime City win the title United will win it twice.

Chelsea had the manager as well as the cash, I'm not convinced City have it right just yet!

CB_NO3
17-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Am guessing 95% of people on this thread are Hibs fans. We are a club that nearly went bust. We sell all our best players to survive. By doing that we have very little success on the park, yet some people are delighted with the fact that a team with a 400 million jackpot are going to win the league. Thats double standards imo. Maybe am just bitter Hibs fan who cant accept my club is a failure, but one day we may win the league or win a cup and it will not be due to some rich Arab or Russian. It will be done with years of hard work behind it.

Anyway this thread is getting boring now. I think we will all agree modern football is horrible.

CFC
18-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Gate receipts!!! Think you'll find a lot more was raised from other avenues as well. Anyway that's got nothing to do with the point I raised about balancing the books in 2014. Everton were the first to benefit from Moores money in the 60's but never managed to build on it!

No, it has to do with saying that Chelsea and City are guilty of being bankrolled by rich benefactors, as you said:

Chelsea and Manchester City are the two clubs most guilty of overspending and then using cash injections from their rich benefactors to balance the books.

Which is exactly what Moores did with Liverpool as he said in his letter to The Times:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/05/26/in-full-the-david-moores-letter-about-liverpool-hicks-gillett-et-al-25050/

I was from the ever-decreasing pool of old-school club owners, the locally-based, locally wealthy supporter like Jack Walker who stuck his money in out of his passion for the club.

The old school millionaires like David Murray and David Moores can't compete with the new school billionaires. That's life.

khib70
18-10-2011, 09:50 AM
And how the **** do you know this, wiseass?

I've supported them for forty years through all kinds of ups and downs.

It's amazing how you Red fanboys get all upset when someone looks like knocking your castle down. If the likes of you had their way we'd just hand the title to Fergie at the start of the season and not bother playing at all.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I'd imagine when they do win the league, and they will. They will then be deemed the top club in england. its how they build on it thats the interesting thing. They will outbid United for every world class player that becomes available, not that United have been winning many of these bids recently.

United have gone down the route of buying untried quality for a few years, and solid British and European players. Yes its worked in the EPL, although they have not had this type of financial competition, even from Chelsea.

City have Unitd worried, very worried. IMO its only a matter of time before they do win most things in the EPL, and unless United or someone else finds a similar backer, they will continue to do so for as long as they are here.

We all know players only thoughts are their bank balance, and thats why it will happen.

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 10:26 AM
No, it has to do with saying that Chelsea and City are guilty of being bankrolled by rich benefactors, as you said:

Which is exactly what Moores did with Liverpool as he said in his letter to The Times:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/05/26/in-full-the-david-moores-letter-about-liverpool-hicks-gillett-et-al-25050/

The old school millionaires like David Murray and David Moores can't compete with the new school billionaires. That's life.

You stated that when Liverpool were good it was down to Moores money which is total nonsense as Liverpool's barren spell was during his tenour!

The statement about Chelssea and City's rich benefactors was not mine but taken from an article relating to the finanacial rules by which they will be affected.

CFC
18-10-2011, 01:02 PM
You stated that when Liverpool were good it was down to Moores money which is total nonsense as Liverpool's barren spell was during his tenour!The statement about Chelssea and City's rich benefactors was not mine but taken from an article relating to the finanacial rules by which they will be affected.The Moores/Littlewoods family owned a controlling share in Liverpool FC that stretches back decades before David's chairmanship, David was merely the heir to the Littlewoods empire. Liverpool were a second division side in the 50s, their success in the 60s was owed to the largesse of the Moores.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Its typical of my footballing luck that when my "other" team, The Hammers dabbled with foreign investment it nearly ended with the demise of the club! Hibs, West Ham and Scotland for me, I must've upset someone in a previous life!

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2011, 03:26 PM
The Moores/Littlewoods family owned a controlling share in Liverpool FC that stretches back decades before David's chairmanship, David was merely the heir to the Littlewoods empire. Liverpool were a second division side in the 50s, their success in the 60s was owed to the largesse of the Moores.

I am well aware of Moores family involvement in both Liverpool and Everton, however you are somewhat assuming that Liverpool's success was down to their involvement ala City and Chelsea sugar daddy's. :faf:. Have a closer look! ..................................Bill Shankly

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Ay oop, did our Bobby call it rat or watt?

Hibs Class
23-10-2011, 07:03 PM
If people wanted football equivalence then all gate receipts, sponsorship etc. would be pooled, the total would be divided amongst all clubs and there would be a level playing field re wages, transfers, etc. (Just like fantasy football). Until that happens (i.e. never) there will be inequality and there is no English club (or Spanish, or Italian, etc.) which can claim the moral high ground about how their profit and loss account has greater integrity than that of their competitors.

Love the Green
23-10-2011, 07:08 PM

What a plonker of course they cant as the stadiums are different sizes... same can be said for killie and hibs as they have different sized stadiums......

Trust me if United have 3/4 barren years not 35 like city their crowds will dwindle..just like to OF when they are not winning trophies

keep the faith

James70
23-10-2011, 07:33 PM
What a plonker of course they cant as the stadiums are different sizes... same can be said for killie and hibs as they have different sized stadiums......

Trust me if United have 3/4 barren years not 35 like city their crowds will dwindle..just like to OF when they are not winning trophies

keep the faith

My god, yet another City fan coming out of the closet! :wink:

Even if City's ground was the same capacity as United's they would still come nowhere near to filling it!

I have lived in Manchester and stood on the Stretford End in crowds of 63,000 back in the 1960s when many games were all ticket and even though City had a good side in those days including Summerbee and Bell their crowds still came nowhere those of the Reds. As for barren years United had plenty of those before Fergie went there and were even relegated but still held on to their support.

Twa Cairpets
23-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Even if City's ground was the same capacity as United's they would still come nowhere near to filling it!

I have lived in Manchester and stood on the Stretford End in crowds of 63,000 back in the 1960s when many games were all ticket and even though City had a good side in those days including Summerbee and Bell their crowds still came nowhere those of the Reds. As for barren years United had plenty of those before Fergie went there and were even relegated but still held on to their support.

Very selective I think.

I was a student in Manchester in the 80's and tried both teams before plumping for City because it was much more fun (5-1 v Charlton for promotion at Maine Road still one of the best days Ive had at a game), and went to most home games and a few away for three seasons. The staunchness of Citys support is remarkable, with two relegations, a new ground, and being hugely in the sghadow of Man Utd Inc. for god knows how long. The hard core that is there when added to the glory hunters who will follow success regardless of the strip woul dmean that I think they could comfortably fill their ground if the success comes.

All that said, in much the same way that the top English teams are just corporate vehicles or multi-millionaires playthings, being a fan of City now no longer (to me anyway) has the same credibility it used to have. It seems a kind of anti-City way of doing things to buy your way to success.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2011, 08:22 PM
I bet the few thousand who went today couldn't give a toss about attendance. Does it make our 6-2 win any less satisfying?

hibsbollah
23-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Ive got no allegiance to either club, but its nonsense to slag off city's support.

In the early 90s IMO they were the best away fans in englands top division for numbers and noise. And they were regularly getting 30000+ when they dropped one and even two divisions not so long ago.

As has been said, the supporters cant be blamed for suddenly having all the worlds best players, can they? I bet it'd be quite nice :boohoo:

Love the Green
24-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Hold the bus............If you call supporting City since 1967 and attending 2/3 games every season even when they played notts county in old div 3 in front of 26,000(midweek) then yes I have just come out of the closet.

keep the faith

LancashireHibby
24-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Hold the bus............If you call supporting City since 1967 and attending 2/3 games every season even when they played notts county in old div 3 in front of 26,000(midweek) then yes I have just come out of the closet.

keep the faith

I bet there were 70,000 on that night with the amount of people that say they attended:wink:

--------
24-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Ive got no allegiance to either club, but its nonsense to slag off city's support.

In the early 90s IMO they were the best away fans in englands top division for numbers and noise. And they were regularly getting 30000+ when they dropped one and even two divisions not so long ago.

As has been said, the supporters cant be blamed for suddenly having all the worlds best players, can they? I bet it'd be quite nice :boohoo:

:agree:

I wonder what we'd say if someone similar came along and bankrolled Hibs in the same way?

(If only... :rolleyes:)

City fans have had to suffer long years in the wilderness with their neighbours putting them down at every opportunity. I don't live in England, so I don't have an 'EPL team', but yesterday was a case of the underdogs finally getting a wee bit of their own back. The various crowd reactions were IMO delightful

Tony Book, Mike Summerbee and Paddy Crerand were supposed to be interviewed together on SKY after the game.

Crerand wasn't there - he apparently had forgotten a prior engagement. Painting the garden shed or something. :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
24-10-2011, 12:23 PM
What is very very apparent from this thread is that the red persuasion seem to have an almost yamlike tendency to state how big a team they are. Starnge considering most are also Hibs supporters. There also seems to be a little bit of forgetting what the Man U debt is. Without me having to look it up, could someone remind me please? Or is that a different type of debt (bit yamlike again)

--------
24-10-2011, 12:32 PM
What is very very apparent from this thread is that the red persuasion seem to have an almost yamlike tendency to state how big a team they are. Starnge considering most are also Hibs supporters. There also seems to be a little bit of forgetting what the Man U debt is. Without me having to look it up, could someone remind me please? Or is that a different type of debt (bit yamlike again)

It's also rather amusing to see Hibs supporters getting all hot under the collar about two teams from Manchester...

And some of those of the red persuasion (actually yesterday those shirts looked as if they're a rather fetching shade of carnation pink, but what do I know?) behaving in exactly the same way as we've become used to seeing Rangers, Celtic and Hearts fans behaving when those Big Teams have had a doing from a Wee Team. :greengrin

This is fun.

bawheid
24-10-2011, 12:39 PM
It's also rather amusing to see Hibs supporters getting all hot under the collar about two teams from Manchester...

Agreed Doddie.

Personally think Hibs supporters also supporting large English clubs comes across as a bit... needy.

IWasThere2016
24-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting piece here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/10/silva_and_milner_add_guts_and.html

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I've been a Manchester City fan for as long as I can remember. We've been through some tough times, sure, but that only makes us stronger. Yes, beating United by the odd goal in seven on their own turf in their cup final was satisfying, but we're now going for the big one. It has NOTHING to do with money. Class will out. Bluuooo Moon, I saw you standing alone...

Oasis, Mark E Smith, Hooky, and **** Simply Red and posh git on't telly from Surrey who presents 'That We're tweek, that We're....'

PISTOL1875
24-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I've been a Manchester City fan for as long as I can remember. We've been through some tough times, sure, but that only makes us stronger. Yes, beating United by the odd goal in seven on their own turf in their cup final was satisfying, but we're now going for the big one. It has NOTHING to do with money. Class will out. Bluuooo Moon, I saw you standing alone...

Oasis, Mark E Smith, Hooky, and **** Simply Red and posh git on't telly from Surrey who presents 'That We're tweek, that We're....'

I have supported City as well for over 20 years now.. I watched City play Manure at the old Maine Road and City humped them 5-1.. I decided that day I was gonna support them..

Money as you say has nothing to do with it..If the Arabs weren't there then I would still support them like I did before the cash..

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I have supported City as well for over 20 years now.. I watched City play Manure at the old Maine Road and City humped them 5-1.. I decided that day I was gonna support them..

Money as you say has nothing to do with it..If the Arabs weren't there then I would still support them like I did before the cash..

Me too! Bell, Lee, Sumerbee- Citeh till ah dah!

heretoday
24-10-2011, 07:06 PM
It's great how the media have already crowned Citeh champions after 9 games of a 38 game season.

Not that I have a United axe to grind. Far from it. I just don't think defences in the prem these days - including City's - are that solid.

Joleon Lescott anyone?