PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dunfermline - The message from their Board

PaulSmith
13-10-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/20111012/no-1-bulletin-from-the-east-end-park-boardroom_2208030_2480023

Wakey, wakey SPL!!

NeilOrrSquareBa
13-10-2011, 11:47 AM
A nice, clear and pulling no punches update for the fans. Hibs take note!

Keith_M
13-10-2011, 11:55 AM
It looks like they're struggling with the financial realities of being in the SPL.

Live TV games are a nightmare for almost every club. These almost always result in a reduced attendance at the game, with no extra money going to the home club for the privilege. The only teams that play NO live home games (outside of the OF derby which sells out anyway) are, surprise, surprise, the OF.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Short of spelling out our lossesand what were doing to mitigate whats the board to do. were ahead Of DAFC and probably they aspire to be us.
The economic situation is cripPling footie ESP the spl IMO. Just hope there is a huge correction across football and a reality check is taken. You'd never know there is a recession on in the worldof the Epl.

joe breezy
13-10-2011, 12:20 PM
By being in the SPL they are missing 2 derbies, Raith Rovers and Falkirk (although Dunfermline Falkirk is an unlikely derby the fans have built it into one, they hate each other)

TV seems to be affecting things too...

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I really don't think the recession has much to do with it. The standard of the SPL is getting worse year on year, thats where the problem stems from. The clubs have been relying on blind loyalty for far too long, the chickens are coming home to roost as the old saying goes!

basehibby
13-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I really don't think the recession has much to do with it. The standard of the SPL is getting worse year on year, thats where the problem stems from. The clubs have been relying on blind loyalty for far too long, the chickens are coming home to roost as the old saying goes!

Well you're wrong mate - I can vouch from personal experience. I was a ST holder for 4 years on the trot but lack of regular work has made forking out c £400 on a ST a complete non-starter.

I am currently taking a disabled guy along as his carer so am still getting along to games. If that wasn't the case I'd be picking and choosing my games as an occasional treat and that is the reality many fans will be facing in the current climate. Even if folk are in a job, spiraling costs of living along with wage freezes/threat of redundancy etc will be making them think seriously about the viability of buying a ST these days.

Of course, if folk are shelling out their hard earned and going away without feeling they've been given their money's worth by the players on the pitch (not to mention the pie sellers) then this will only compound the negative effects of the recession - to suggest it's not an issue is pure nonsense though!

basehibby
13-10-2011, 03:48 PM
It looks like they're struggling with the financial realities of being in the SPL.

Live TV games are a nightmare for almost every club. These almost always result in a reduced attendance at the game, with no extra money going to the home club for the privilege. The only teams that play NO live home games (outside of the OF derby which sells out anyway) are, surprise, surprise, the OF.

:agree: This is a travesty and needs to be resolved - ridiculous KO times like 12pm on a Sunday or Monday evening clearly have a massive impact on the home gate. This loss of income should be deducted from the pot as a matter of course before the remainder of the TV dosh is divied up.

Gettin' Auld
13-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Short of spelling out our lossesand what were doing to mitigate whats the board to do. were ahead Of DAFC and probably they aspire to be us.
The economic situation is cripPling footie ESP the spl IMO. Just hope there is a huge correction across football and a reality check is taken. You'd never know there is a recession on in the worldof the Epl.

That reads like a Google Translation of something!!

:greengrin

lucky
13-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Reality is hitting football. Its time the players realized this too. TV and the stupid kick off times don't help but the cost is crippling for most. Good on DAFC for their straight no nonsense message to the fans. Time for clubs to wake up

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2011, 04:52 PM
That reads like a Google Translation of something!!

:greengrin

Lol Blummin iMoan predictive text is crop ;)

NYHibby
13-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Is this true? I know in other leagues the home team does get paid. In the EPL it is called a facilities fee. Hibs get paid when our cup games are on TV, like the upcoming Celtic game.

BroxburnHibee
13-10-2011, 05:27 PM
SPL is dying a slow lingering death, they need to find a miracle cure fast.

I agree the recession has been a factor (I gave up the ST this year) but it isn't the sole factor.

Ridiculous kick off times, boredom with the league format, high entry prices, everything geared for the OF team's benefit.

There are lots of reasons.

I was at a meeting at ER earlier this year when they showed us some of the proposals for league reconstruction and I liked the look of a lot of what was proposed (regional leagues, colt teams) but they stupidly had to try and tie it in with the "10 team" SPL!

I don't know if it can be fixed but the status quo will definitely kill it off IMO.

Dashing Bob S
13-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Hangin out in Fife/on the edge of the knife/a tale of blown chances/ and SPL finances/it ain't the land of milk an honey like you think/ so...don't push Pars cause we're close to the brink...

C'mon you Fife football finance rappers...

Captain Trips
13-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Money from outside has to be invested in the form of better tv deals and sponsors, deals geared equally to each club in SPL, simply expanding the SPL imo will not generate any real interest from anyone outwith Scotland.

What I think needs to happen is change within the match format and perhaps how points are allocated, Dunfermilne v Hibs will gain no more real interest now than it would if SPL was larger so I would suggest to make that and every fixture more appealing to people here and outwith our game is as I said some change in match format.

Perhaps no draws all matches ending in a draw go to pens, I am not suggesting that as the idea but something that will have TV thinking thats interesting some of those matches might be worth a punt or a sponsor, you cant go to far or you become a laughing stock with changes but there may well be some idea out there that if SPL did first would garner inital interest that could be built on have that along with bigger SPL.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Hangin out in Fife/on the edge of the knife/a tale of blown chances/ and SPL finances/it ain't the land of milk an honey like you think/ so...don't push Pars cause we're close to the brink...

C'mon you Fife football finance rappers...

In 1943
The average age of the ST holder was 45
In 2011 there were 19
Nnnnnnnineteen 19, 19, 19

Dddddddestruction
Dddddddestruction
Of men and their pies
There were only 19

Antifa Hibs
13-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Clubs and authorities only have themselves to blame. They *****ed up. Starting way back with the Taylor Report and the forcing clubs to spent millions they don't have on stadiums. The whole social aspect of football is gone. Your now left with the bare minimum of dafties who will go week in week out regardless. Not only that more recently they have lost a whole generation off supporters to the Premier f***** League.

Messed up big time. Now its too late.

Jonnyboy
13-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Force the OF to go back to the place where all home gates are shared 50/50

Wouldn't help their finances much but who gives a toss? :greengrin

lucky
13-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Clubs and authorities only have themselves to blame. They *****ed up. Starting way back with the Taylor Report and the forcing clubs to spent millions they don't have on stadiums. The whole social aspect of football is gone. Your now left with the bare minimum of dafties who will go week in week out regardless. Not only that more recently they have lost a whole generation off supporters to the Premier f***** League.

Messed up big time. Now its too late.

Disagree about the Taylor report. In the week when families of the 96 killed at Hillsborough are fighting to get all the papers released to get to the truth I think all seated stadiums are one the few good developments football has done in recent years

blueisthecolour
13-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Not true Rangers first game of the season was on tv against Hearts, tv can only go to show so many live games (4 I think) from each ground, ofcourse they are going to pick Rangers v celtic both times and be selective of what other games they show, they will hold off untill the end of the season incase a title decider is on the cards.

PaulSmith
14-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Not true [/B]Rangers first game of the season was on tv against Hearts, tv can only go to show so many live games (4 I think) from each ground, ofcourse they are going to pick Rangers v celtic both times and be selective of what other games they show, they will hold off untill the end of the season incase a title decider is on the cards.

Think that used to be the case but not anymore...I'm certain that Hibs home games V Hearts, Celtic and Rangers will all definitely be on SKY/ESPN plus there might be another one or two thrown in as well come the end of the season (Hibs v Hamilton springs to mind).

By not showing the OF at home v Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc the league and the broadcasters are missing an opportunity to showcase the stadiums/league/full houses on offer on a more regular basis and thus devalues the league set up even further.

GloryGlory
14-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Force the OF to go back to the place where all home gates are shared 50/50

Wouldn't help their finances much but who gives a toss? :greengrin

Wouldn't help Hibs much, either. As one of the better supported teams, we'd effectively be giving up the income from half our home games (excluding OF and Yams) to get the income from the home games of St Mirren, Dunfermline, etc. Their crowds are half of ours or less, with much less growth potential. OK we get some of that back from the OF and Hearts, but sharing gates will blow a big hole in our budget.

Moulin Yarns
14-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't help Hibs much, either. As one of the better supported teams, we'd effectively be giving up the income from half our home games (excluding OF and Yams) to get the income from the home games of St Mirren, Dunfermline, etc. Their crowds are half of ours or less, with much less growth potential. OK we get some of that back from the OF and Hearts, but sharing gates will blow a big hole in our budget.

The point is, if i get this right, is that splitting the gates equally after expenses would 'level the playing field'. We would gain substantially from the games away to Rangers, Celtc and the 400,000 hearts supporters, while losing to a certain extent in our home games.

GloryGlory
14-10-2011, 10:16 AM
The point is, if i get this right, is that splitting the gates equally after expenses would 'level the playing field'. We would gain substantially from the games away to Rangers, Celtc and the 400,000 hearts supporters, while losing to a certain extent in our home games.

Hibs would still be worse off. We have more games against teams with a smaller home gate than ours. The levelling up would be from Hibs, Hearts, maybe Aberdeen to St Mirren, Dunfermline, St Johnstone, etc. Rantic would still take the majority of the TV money, have got bigger sponsorships so would be even stronger vis a vis Hearts and Hibs than they are now.

hibsbollah
14-10-2011, 10:45 AM
If i was a Pars fan reading that i'd feel involved, respected, consulted, and we're all in it together.
With correspondence from Hibs i feel like im being 'informed of developments'.

IWasThere2016
14-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Assuming 6 away games at Darkhheid, Little England and the PBS and total attendances of 100k, 85k and 35k, we'd have a 50% share off 220k. Our 19 home games with average attendances of 11k - means losing 50% of 209k .. So we'd be up - and that's before allowing for greater prices at OF/Yams and shares at the other 13 away games.

The downside would be weaker OF means their great (:faf:) fans will stop attending - hence lower income - however increased competition will increase attendances and more than compensate IMHO.

Sadly, our visionary leader sees a 10-team SPL as the solution. Adding to my view he is even mare useless than I'd thought.

The only thing that willl save the SPL is decent competitive football .. That means standing up to the OF and making changes. The collective SPL chairmen seem to be too spineless to even attempt to do this. None more so than RP.

Moulin Yarns
14-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Assuming 6 away games at Darkhheid, Little England and the PBS and total attendances of 100k, 85k and 35k, we'd have a 50% share off 220k. Our 19 home games with average attendances of 11k - means losing 50% of 209k .. So we'd be up - and that's before allowing for greater prices at OF/Yams and shares at the other 13 away games.

The downside would be weaker OF means their great (:faf:) fans will stop attending - hence lower income - however increased competition will increase attendances and more than compensate IMHO.

Sadly, our visionary leader sees a 10-team SPL as the solution. Adding to my view he is even mare useless than I'd thought.

The only thing that willl save the SPL is decent competitive football .. That means standing up to the OF and making changes. The collective SPL chairmen seem to be too spineless to even attempt to do this. None more so than RP.

Thanks Garry, I didn't have time to try and do some calculations, but tha's pretty much how i see it, as i said, a levelling of the playing field.

Bring it on I say.

Baker9
14-10-2011, 01:12 PM
:agree: This is a travesty and needs to be resolved - ridiculous KO times like 12pm on a Sunday or Monday evening clearly have a massive impact on the home gate. This loss of income should be deducted from the pot as a matter of course before the remainder of the TV dosh is divied up.

Add to that the International breaks and it doesn't really feel that the season has started. Football has always been part of a way of life and supporters knew with certainty, as did family and friends, that they would not be around on a Saturday afternoon - they would be 'at the game'. Now they can't say with any certainty when the next few games will be played without checking and then rechecking and replanning and generally annoying people.

Getting all games played at 3.00 on a Saturday wouldn't suddenly solve the problem but it would help hugely, perhaps even to an extent that would make it more viable than TV money.

basehibby
14-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Disagree about the Taylor report. In the week when families of the 96 killed at Hillsborough are fighting to get all the papers released to get to the truth I think all seated stadiums are one the few good developments football has done in recent years

The Taylor Report was all very well for clubs who could afford it - 90% of Scottish clubs affected could NOT - a fact that was totally ignored at the time when this completely anglo-centric piece of legislation was introduced. Shamefully our MPs/football authorities etc ignorantly went along with it like a bunch of pathetic lambs to the slaughter. 20 odd years later Hibs are one of the only non-OF clubs to have finally come to terms with it - and we're still paying for it on the park.

Keith_M
14-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Not true Rangers first game of the season was on tv against Hearts, tv can only go to show so many live games (4 I think) from each ground, ofcourse they are going to pick Rangers v celtic both times and be selective of what other games they show, they will hold off untill the end of the season incase a title decider is on the cards.

Then that's a first in the modern age of TV. You know as well as the rest of us that it has been standard practice to only show OF away games. One or two exceptions does not change the rule.

Feel free to provide us with figures for the last five years for OF games, outside of the OF derby, with a breakdown of how many were played at at home and how many away.

And as for someone else's question on whether or not teams get extra money for being on TV. no they don't.

PatHead
14-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Remember a couple of years ago when Hibs were doing well. An English friend couldn't understand how the 2nd v 3rd game at Ibrox wasn't being shown but Inverness Celtic was....Turned out the Hibs game was excellentwhilst the ICT game was pants. Could you imagine Sky not showing a 2nd v 3rd game in the Premier League? Not likely

SquashedFrogg
14-10-2011, 07:30 PM
If they put their stovies up in price to a fiver then they'll be fine :agree:

ancient hibee
14-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Then that's a first in the modern age of TV. You know as well as the rest of us that it has been standard practice to only show OF away games. One or two exceptions does not change the rule.

Feel free to provide us with figures for the last five years for OF games, outside of the OF derby, with a breakdown of how many were played at at home and how many away.

And as for someone else's question on whether or not teams get extra money for being on TV. no they don't.

Yes they do-all televised cup and league cup games are outwith the agreement and both the home and away clubs get a fee around £60/80K.