PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool's TV revenue proposal (NHC)

Dan Sarf
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Sharing out the TV money dependant on size? Nah, no one would be daft enough to agree to that, surely?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-tv-proposal-would-kill-heart-and-soul-of-english-football-2369426.html

LancashireHibby
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Thankfully the voting systems in the EPL mean that the 'big 4' would never get away with such a proposal, but in the SPL....?

CFC
12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Sharing out the TV money dependant on size? Nah, no one would be daft enough to agree to that, surely?http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-tv-proposal-would-kill-heart-and-soul-of-english-football-2369426.htmlIts encouraging to note that Chelsea, Utd, City and Arsenal oppose this proposal. The big clubs already have an advantage in bigger matchday revenues and more shirt sales if you sell the TV rights seperately the gulf between the haves and have nots would grow ever larger.

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Its encouraging to note that Chelsea, Utd, City and Arsenal oppose this proposal. The big clubs already have an advantage in bigger matchday revenues and more shirt sales if you sell the TV rights seperately the gulf between the haves and have nots would grow ever larger.

Unusual for an institution like Liverpool FC, founded by Tory Councillors, to propose anything elitist.

ancient hibee
12-10-2011, 06:53 PM
As the shareout of TV money in the SPL has nothing to do with size what is your point caller?

Dan Sarf
12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
As the shareout of TV money in the SPL has nothing to do with size what is your point caller?

Nice of you to ask. I'll have a pint of Crabbie's, thanks very much.

StevieC
13-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Dont kid yourself .. it's everything to do with size .. it's just set up to try and make it look otherwise.

I can assure you that if the OF were to regularly drop out of the top two positions (which I know isn't going to happen) there'd be serious changes to the current set up, which is heavily unbalanced towards the top 2 places.

Stevie Reid
13-10-2011, 10:36 AM
It just shows how utterly ridiculous football has become at the highest level when a club that has spent well over £100M on players in the first 8 months of the year is now claiming to be in danger of being left behind by their European rivals.

**** right off.

ancient hibee
13-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Dont kid yourself .. it's everything to do with size .. it's just set up to try and make it look otherwise.

I can assure you that if the OF were to regularly drop out of the top two positions (which I know isn't going to happen) there'd be serious changes to the current set up, which is heavily unbalanced towards the top 2 places.

Absolute tosh.If the OF did drop out of the top two positions presumably in your scenario they would want prize money more evenly spread over the SPL which would then benefit everyone outside the top two would it not?Anyway the voting structure for prize money changes is 8-4.

The_Todd
13-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Disgusted by the apparent greed in Liverpool's motives. Nicely refreshing to see the other big clubs shoot it down.

Bostonhibby
13-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Disgusted by the apparent greed in Liverpool's motives. Nicely refreshing to see the other big clubs shoot it down.

:agree: but their "business model" will be heavily influenced by the american sports conglomerate that owns them, at the head of that particualr snake is a big mouth designed to swallow up as big a share of whatever cash is around it can........it just happens to be sports they are maximising their return on but it could probably be replicated anywhere but they are in a cash rich pool.

StevieC
14-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Absolute tosh.If the OF did drop out of the top two positions presumably in your scenario they would want prize money more evenly spread over the SPL which would then benefit everyone outside the top two would it not?.

No, the prize money would be unbalanced towards the top 3 or 4 places instead of the top two.

I bow to your better knowledge though as I am clearly mistaken that there is an uneven share of the spoils weighted towards the OF.

ancient hibee
14-10-2011, 07:21 PM
No, the prize money would be unbalanced towards the top 3 or 4 places instead of the top two.

I bow to your better knowledge though as I am clearly mistaken that there is an uneven share of the spoils weighted towards the OF.

Very noble of you:greengrinDon't forget the spoils are actually quite small.Although other sponsorship money goes into the fund the main contribution is the TV money of £13M per season-of this about £6.2M is divided equally among the 12 clubs(approx £.5M each).The other £6.8 approx is then divided on a sliding scale according to league position -so obviously when Hearts finished 2nd they got more than one of the OF but there is not a huge amount of difference between first and last-around £600K I think.

CFC
14-10-2011, 10:50 PM
On the subject of prize money its always struck me as daft that clubs get money based on how far they get in a cup competition or where they finish in the table. Football is not a sport like golf or tennis where the participants depend on prize money as their main source of income (along with sponsorships and endorsements fot the higher profile players). Why a team finishing 9th should get more money than the 10th placed team is odd.

LancashireHibby
15-10-2011, 10:01 AM
On the subject of prize money its always struck me as daft that clubs get money based on how far they get in a cup competition or where they finish in the table. Football is not a sport like golf or tennis where the participants depend on prize money as their main source of income (along with sponsorships and endorsements fot the higher profile players). Why a team finishing 9th should get more money than the 10th placed team is odd.

Well we have to give the bottom six something to play for, surely?

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Liverpool have won the right to show their games on their own tv channel. Next season they will be on the history channel.