PDA

View Full Version : Darren Fletcher

Zazu62
11-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Is absolutely woeful IMO looks unfit, constantly moaning at the referee just don't understand why we play a player like him in the middle of the park when he hardly makes a tackle, would surely have been a better idea to play another striker?

Thoughts?

Skanko79
11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
On his day i think Fletcher is a smashing player. In all honesty though i think he would benefit with a move away from Old Trafford. Maybe to Spurs, Villa or Sunderland.

blackpoolhibs
11-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I despair at what some people think. He's quality, and plays for Man United every week when fit, yet he needs to move to a lesser club?????????????:confused:

vanNISHtelroy
11-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Hes turned up when it was thought he was unfit and started both games, put in a reasonable shift...and is criticised? If he'd pulled out the squad what would have been said?

And don't see why he needs to move to a lesser club either.

Liam89
11-10-2011, 10:50 PM
On his day i think Fletcher is a smashing player. In all honesty though i think he would benefit with a move away from Old Trafford. Maybe to Spurs, Villa or Sunderland.

Absolutely ridiculous.

hibbytam
11-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Hes turned up when it was thought he was unfit and started both games, put in a reasonable shift...and is criticised? If he'd pulled out the squad what would have been said?

And don't see why he needs to move to a lesser club either.

This exactly. He's a quality player, and I completely don't understand the criticism he gets at international level.

Wotherspiniesta
11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Fletcher is quality.

He clearly wasn't fit tonight and you could see he was in pain when he came off. Also, he was out the game for about 7 months, losing about a stone in weight.

Skanko79
12-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Absolutely ridiculous.

How? As stated, a cracking player on his day but a fish out of water in that Manure United team.

Do you honestly think he is as good as Carrick, Anderson, Valencia, Nani, Young and even Cleverley?? if you are lucky he is probably on a par with Darron Gibson.

As i said though, he is a good player for Scotland and i think he is a good captain and does well for us. Why would you honestly think that he wouldnt benefit from playing every week and possibly becoming captain for say Villa or any of the affore mentioned clubs for that matter? i can only see it improving him as a player.

WellingtonHibby
12-10-2011, 01:51 AM
How? As stated, a cracking player on his day but a fish out of water in that Manure United team.Do you honestly think he is as good as Carrick, Anderson, Valencia, Nani, Young and even Cleverley?? if you are lucky he is probably on a par with Darron Gibson.As i said though, he is a good player for Scotland and i think he is a good captain and does well for us. Why would you honestly think that he wouldnt benefit from playing every week and possibly becoming captain for say Villa or any of the affore mentioned clubs for that matter? i can only see it improving him as a player. aye right then, SAF rates him as a stick on as the box to box midfielder in a very good Man Utd Team, he is picked ahead of all of the above in his position when fit and is one of the first names on the team sheet for big games. No he probably isnt as good a winger as nani or valencia but in his role, i dont think man u have a better player and bacon-face agrees... No danger will be be trading down anytime soon unless they buy wesley schnider and xavi next season.

Skanko79
12-10-2011, 01:56 AM
aye right then, SAF rates him as a stick on as the box to box midfielder in a very good Man Utd Team, he is picked ahead of all of the above in his position when fit and is one of the first names on the team sheet for big games. No he probably isnt as good a winger as nani or valencia but in his role, i dont think man u have a better player and bacon-face agrees... No danger will be be trading down anytime soon unless they buy wesley schnider and xavi next season.

aye, like when he was dropped to the bench for the champions league final last season.

WellingtonHibby
12-10-2011, 04:12 AM
IIRC he was carrying a stomach virus and didnt play due to that. He wasnt dropped. He missed the one before due to a dodgy booking in the SF against arsenal too.

GlesgaeHibby
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
aye, like when he was dropped to the bench for the champions league final last season.

He wasn't dropped, he'd hardly played in months due to a mystery illness. The fact that Fletcher is one of Fergies first picks for the big games says it all about him. Top class midfielder. Much better than Michael Carrick.

lucky
12-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Maybe nish was right Hibs fans are only happy when moaning. Fletcher was one Scotlands better players in both games. Made some good passes and protected the back 4. He is of two players playing at a big club . He is rated by Fergie so that's the end of the debate. He is the captain played when not fit and did well.

Phil MaGlass
12-10-2011, 08:04 AM
This exactly. He's a quality player, and I completely don't understand the criticism he gets at international level.

Its a Scottish mentality, were no good enough, we cannae dae that, always putting our own down instead of backing them, Scotland is full of them and this board has a couple.
i support my country in every sport, it doesnae matter what that sport is, if we can support all our sportsmen/women it would create a big positive for the country, but some are just intent on putting us down,(probably Labour supporters).:greengrin

Golden Bear
12-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Is absolutely woeful IMO looks unfit, constantly moaning at the referee just don't understand why we play a player like him in the middle of the park when he hardly makes a tackle, would surely have been a better idea to play another striker?

Thoughts?

Absolute nonsense.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2011, 08:27 AM

He wasn't dropped, he was ill.

Fletcher's name is one of the first on Ferguson's team sheet.

When he was wrongly sent off against Arsenal in the 2009 semi-final, any chance United had of winning the competition was gone.

Joe Baker II
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Possibly was wrong to play him in last 2 games but tough call (though he did ok and do not think made difference to either result) - and he deserves full credit for his commitment which puts his namesake Steven to shame.

blackpoolhibs
12-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Do you need any help with that hole?

Wilson
12-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Maybe nish was right Hibs fans are only happy when moaning. Fletcher was one Scotlands better players in both games. Made some good passes and protected the back 4. He is of two players playing at a big club . He is rated by Fergie so that's the end of the debate. He is the captain played when not fit and did well.

Naw. That just shows that when Nish wasn't falling on his a**e he was talking out of it. Agree with the rest though.

WellingtonHibby
12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
By the by, i think he deserves plaudits for answering the call for these two games, clearly he was toiling with tonsillitis and to make his own way to vaduz from his sickbed is the demonstrable committment that great captains should show.

blackpoolhibs
12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
By the by, i think he deserves plaudits for answering the call for these two games, clearly he was toiling with tonsillitis and to make his own way to vaduz from his sickbed is the demonstrable committment that great captains should show.

:agree:

HibbyAndy
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM

When he was wrongly sent off against Arsenal in the 2009 semi-final, any chance United had of winning the competition was gone.

Slight exaggeration.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Slight exaggeration.

Maybe, but only slight.

United needed a fully fit Fletcher to combat Barca's midfield. When he was ruled out, it was a severe blow to their prospects.

I sincerely believe he's that important to them.

Albion Hibs
12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Fletcher is a starting 11 player for Man U, that should be the end of this discussion. To suggest a player that is good enough be in the starting team for the best team in the EPL, and one of the top 3 or 4 clubs in the world is not good enough to play for Scotland is a farce. Furthermore why would someone who consistantly plays for Man U move to play for Sunderland, Villa or any other team other than Barca or Real?!

In addition to suggest we should play another striker instead???? Good idea we leak goals for fun, lets make ourselves defensively weaker! I think last night showed that when we are playing with guys like Adam in the middle who consistantly lets players run off him / does not track back we perhaps need one less striker and an extra midfielder.

I think Fletcher is a very good player, Fergie would appear to concur. To expect him to be able to turn round an entire team is ridiculous.

Love the Green
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Fletcher is a starting 11 player for Man U, that should be the end of this discussion. To suggest a player that is good enough be in the starting team for the the best team in EPL, and one of the top 3 or 4 clubs in the world is not good enough to play for Scotland is a farce. Furthermore why would someone who consistantly plays for Man U move to play for Sunderland, Villa or any other team other than Barca or Real?!

In addition to suggest we should play another striker instead???? Good idea we leak goals for fun, lets make ourselves defensively weaker! I think last night showed that when we are playing with guys like Adam in the middle who consistantly lets players run off him / does not track back we perhaps need one less striker and an extra midfielder.

I think Fletcher is a very good player, Fergie would appear to concur. To expect him to be able to turn round an entire team is ridiculous.

Do you mean last season? best team in the EPL my arse...right CITY wrong team.

So beacuse he is a wtaer carrier makes him a great player here's me thinking a good player at top level might need some soccer skills..like Silva or Nasri...deary me you play for U*****d and you are automaticcly a great player,, Brown,Gibson and O'SHEA.

"keep the faith":wink:

So

silverhibee
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Fletcher is a starting 11 player for Man U, that should be the end of this discussion. To suggest a player that is good enough be in the starting team for the best team in the EPL, and one of the top 3 or 4 clubs in the world is not good enough to play for Scotland is a farce. Furthermore why would someone who consistantly plays for Man U move to play for Sunderland, Villa or any other team other than Barca or Real?!

:agree:

Adams was woeful last night, looked like he was overweight and unfit and as you say never tracked there runner when they made them, and that was very often, and some of his passing was poor too.

Holmesdale Hibs
12-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Thoughts?

Deary me. One of the least accurate and rediculous posts I've ever read on hibs.net and that's saying something. Arguments for Fletcher have been given above so I won't repeat them.

Broken Gnome
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
The notion that Scotland should have foregone one of the midfield five, let alone the only guy who regularly plays at the top level, for another striker is a bit bonkers too. Spain ran rings round five midfielders, what would they have done to four??

blackpoolhibs
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
The notion that Scotland should have foregone one of the midfield five, let alone the only guy who regularly plays at the top level, for another striker is a bit bonkers too. Spain ran rings round five midfielders, what would they have done to four??

:agree: Against the likes of Spain we do need to sit in and hit on the break. We have done it before against Holland and France even Italy. We have to take a measured approach against teams that can rip us apart if giving them the space.

Yet when we play against the weaker sides, we play the same way. Teams we need to win against get it easy, we dont really try and win those games first, we play not to lose it and if we win all the better.

Having that frame of mind imo will always see us struggle.

Broken Gnome
12-10-2011, 01:40 PM
:agree: Against the likes of Spain we do need to sit in and hit on the break. We have done it before against Holland and France even Italy. We have to take a measured approach against teams that can rip us apart if giving them the space.

Yet when we play against the weaker sides, we play the same way. Teams we need to win against get it easy, we dont really try and win those games first, we play not to lose it and if we win all the better.

Having that frame of mind imo will always see us struggle.

Yep, although there is a bit more scope to play an offensive 4-2-3-1 effectively with the likes of Bannan, Mackail-Smith, Morrison and Dorrans and hopefully Fletcher and McFadden at some point.

Let's face it, he'll never play a 4-4-2. Even if it is to the detriment of the time - see Goodwillie's thankless task at home to Lithuania.

Zazu62
12-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Deary me. One of the least accurate and rediculous posts I've ever read on hibs.net and that's saying something. Arguments for Fletcher have been given above so I won't repeat them.Fair enough defend him all u want, he might be a good player for man utd when he's surrounded by nani, rooney etc.. he reminds me of a poor man's Barry Ferguson when he wears the Scotland shirt, I just think he's overrated and I had to get it off my mind

essexhibee
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I didn't think he was that bad last night (7pints later though so maybe not :greengrin) , very good show at the end to go over to the fans and chuck his shirt in.

Iggy Pope
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Agree that he is a great player and a Scotland stand-out. The suggestion of his inability or need for a change of club is laughable.

His sending off in the CLSF v Arsenal was, however, entirely justified. Raised his leg after playing the ball which remained in the proximity of the attacker, tripped the man (not an attempt, a definite trip) and denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. No doubt. Refer to your own explanation of the Laws of the game in the GOC thread :na na:

UEFA would not have considered an appeal as there was no grounds for one and IIRC ManUre never bothered.

And United were well pumped in the final and would have been whether he played or not.

IMO.

Albion Hibs
12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Do you mean last season? best team in the EPL my arse...right CITY wrong team.

So beacuse he is a wtaer carrier makes him a great player here's me thinking a good player at top level might need some soccer skills..like Silva or Nasri...deary me you play for U*****d and you are automaticcly a great player,, Brown,Gibson and O'SHEA.

"keep the faith":wink:

So

I dont know what you are on about if I am being honest, and I dont think you do either. I dont mean last season, they are currently top of the league and have been since the first fixture of the season, they are in a stronger footing the CL than manchester city and they are in another league in terms of size of club. Anyway I feel that has no relavance what so ever.

Silva and Nasri are completely different types of players and neither has achieved what Fletcher has in his career. I think what he has achieved for the club he has achieved it for makes him a very good player. By the same token what makes Silva or Nasri great players....league wins - no, domestic ups - no, champions league medals - no, Champions league appearances - no....so that leaves you with the fact they have a price tag and you like man city.

For the avoidance of doubt I never stated he was a great player, he is far more consistant and accomplished than any of the ex-man u players you noted.

The OP's point was he is not good enough, woeful in fact. On this basis according to him we would have been better off playing another striker. Why you went from that to - I love Man City - and the players they have signed that might one day achieve something...I have no idea.

iwasthere1972
12-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Thoughts?

Guy is quality and loves playing for Scotland. Gets :top marks for even turning up when he could easily said he wasn't fit enough to play.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-10-2011, 10:23 PM
What a team we must have if we are in a position to drop Darren Fletcher. Not that he is on the radar for being world class but he is the closest Scottish player to that level just now and has been for some considerable time. The bigger issue here though is that anyone who thinks we missed out on the Euros because Spain turned us over is missing the point.

Skanko79
12-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Do you need any help with that hole?

what hole?

johnrebus
13-10-2011, 09:02 AM

You are obviously wasted in your chosen profession, as you clearly should be managing Manchester United.

See that Sir Alex? Hasnae got a clue...........,

:rolleyes:

Purehibee_MYB
14-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Fair enough defend him all u want, he might be a good player for man utd when he's surrounded by nani, rooney etc.. he reminds me of a poor man's Barry Ferguson when he wears the Scotland shirt, I just think he's overrated and I had to get it off my mind

I hope you started this thread for healthy debate because I really cannot see the logic in calling Darren Fletcher a poor man's Barry Ferguson...He gives his all for Scotland, plays when most players would moan and say they are unfit, and organises the whole team in a brilliant way... Against spain he was constantly shouting at the players to get in line and to find a man etc. yeah we lost, but anyone watching that second half can be sure that Scotland could beat a lot of teams with that kind of performance.

Biff Tannen
14-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, your quote is.