PDA

View Full Version : Billy Brown Interview

PaulSmith
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/sub/News/0,,10290~2477701,00.html

The full thing is on Hibs TV with 3 min on the iPhone player and prob YouTube channel.

For me he hits the nail on the head, lacking a winning mentality for a long time now and the facilities at East Mains have to be earned to be used. Quoted along the lines of there's immaculate pitches, a chef, plunge pool, everyone gets on but we're bottom of the league and that's just not good enough.

Billy
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqREYd7gIgY

Mikey
10-10-2011, 05:21 PM
He certainly seems to have brought an attitude that's been sorely missing.

weonlywon6-2
10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
He certainly seems to have brought an attitude that's been sorely missing.

and,in a short time scale as well.

keep up the good work billy !!:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Fabulous! Los Yambolinos shot themselves in the foot getting rid of the Brown Bomber. That mistake will come back to haunt them and I can't wait to witness it. It's not as if I'm predicting another 7-0 at New Year, or even -conservatively- a 6-2, but if we don't stick at least five in the basket I'll be a bitterly disappointed man. Glory, glory to the Hibees!

(Positive post or what!!!)

iwasthere1972
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Very down to earth guy who doesn't come out with all the cliches that other managers/coaches continually bore us with.

Underneath I think he is quite bitter about the way he was ousted from his role at Tynecastle and that could be in our favour come the next Edinburgh derby. He will certainly want to get one over on Vlad.

Keep up the good work BB. :aok:

Dashing Bob S
10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Very down to earth guy who doesn't come out with all the cliches that other managers/coaches continually bore us with.

Underneath I think he is quite bitter about the way he was ousted from his role at Tynecastle and that could be in our favour come the next Edinburgh derby. He will certainly want to get one over on Vlad.

Keep up the good work BB. :aok:

We don't do bitter.

Leave that stuff to the obnoxious, asbestos-breathing jakey paedophiles, who infest that teeming nest of vermin and poison that is Tynecastle 'stadium'.

Thank god we don't do bitter - it could get very ugly.

iwasthere1972
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
We don't do bitter.

Leave that stuff to the obnoxious, asbestos-breathing jakey paedophiles, who infest that teeming nest of vermin and poison that is Tynecastle 'stadium'.

Okay then but only on derby day. :aok:

snooky
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
We don't do bitter.

Quite right Bob :agree: - it's ayways been light or heavy up here.

capitals_finest
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I like the man.

Think he is gonna have a really good influence over the team.

I like how he is the loyal type too. A trait that is rarely seen in football nowadays.

blackpoolhibs
10-10-2011, 06:50 PM
I like the man.

Think he is gonna have a really good influence over the team.

I like how he is the loyal type too. A trait that is rarely seen in football nowadays.

Me too, Calderwood could learn a thing or two from him about getting everyone pulling in the same direction.

Kato
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM

You missed out "loner" and "ugly".

Sir David Gray
10-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Very good interview and if he can help to deliver all the things that he says he will in that piece then there will be some exciting times ahead.

I think the club has made a very good appointment in getting him on board.

hibsbollah
10-10-2011, 08:26 PM
He came across very well. I liked the bit about 'players are paid to do what we tell them':aok:

That interviewer yanks my chain. 'How has your time at Hibs gone so far for yourself'. Use your reflexive pronouns properly FFS:grr::rules:

PaulSmith
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
More quotes on official site now

Hibbyradge
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm not impressed with him at all.

Shouting at people in order to get them to bend to your will can only backfire.

He sounds like a bully to me.

jacomo
10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
He came across very well. I liked the bit about 'players are paid to do what we tell them':aok:

That interviewer yanks my chain. 'How has your time at Hibs gone so far for yourself'. Use your reflexive pronouns properly FFS:grr::rules:

:agree: Poor sound quality too. Hibs TV is pretty low rent IMO.

BB comes across well, though. A bully for shouting at players if they won't do as told? Be serious.

IWasThere2016
11-10-2011, 03:38 AM
BB was a good appointment. Tactically astute and a good foil for CC. He also has an agenda/vendetta against them- once a Hibby...

smurf
11-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Good words but there's never been much wrong with the words coming out of Easter Road in recent times.

Results...

Keith_M
11-10-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm not impressed with him at all.

Shouting at people in order to get them to bend to your will can only backfire.

He sounds like a bully to me.

Like Alex Ferguson for instance. You can see how much it's backfired on him.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Alex Ferguson's skill as a manager is much more refined and complex than merely being able to shout at players.

Sure, he has a reputation for occasional angry outbursts, but that's last resort stuff and only when things are going wrong. It's because they are so rare that they're of interest.

Billy Brown seems to be saying that "letting the players know who's boss" etc is his preferred managerial style.

If you keep shouting and bawling at people, they will eventually either fight back, sabotage you or leave.

I believe Yogi knew how to shout and bawl too...

Wheat Hound
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone else think the regularity with which BB has been in the media recently is an indication either he views himself as an eventual candidate for the managers post or that we are being prepared by the board for this eventuality? If you didn't know he was the assistant, you would think he was the manager. He certainly comes across better than CC, though I accept media soundbites do not a good manager make (eh Yogi).

smurf
11-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Such is the skill of the man as a manager he's kind of modified and updated his style of management over the years to move with the times...

Hibbyradge
11-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Anyone else think the regularity with which BB has been in the media recently is an indication either he views himself as an eventual candidate for the managers post or that we are being prepared by the board for this eventuality? If you didn't know he was the assistant, you would think he was the manager. He certainly comes across better than CC, though I accept media soundbites do not a good manager make (eh Yogi).

No. I don't think we're being prepared for anything.

CC isn't comfortable with the media. Brown seems to be.

Kaiser1962
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Such is the skill of the man as a manager he's kind of modified and updated his style of management over the years to move with the times...

Having experienced first hand the "motivational" skills of Jim Telfer I have to say it's not an easy trick to pull off. Lots of people try but very few can actually do it properly and when they get it wrong they just look like a helmet. Telfer had an almost paranormal gift for assessing a situation and getting his input right, whether it was a kick up the arse or a cuddle that was required. To label these guys as just shouter's is doing their abilities a great disservice IMO.

hibsbollah
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Anyone else think the regularity with which BB has been in the media recently is an indication either he views himself as an eventual candidate for the managers post or that we are being prepared by the board for this eventuality? If you didn't know he was the assistant, you would think he was the manager. He certainly comes across better than CC, though I accept media soundbites do not a good manager make (eh Yogi). I think hes just more confident, articulate and less stumbling than Colin. CC obviously has ideas in his head, hes not so good (on camera anyway) at explaining what they are.

Hibee_Craig7062
11-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Maybe more to do with the fact that Brown is around more than our manager is??? :devil:

Speedway
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM

'Ah've got boiler suits in ma team'

Maybe more to do with the fact that Brown is around more than our manager is??? :devil:

I wonder if he regrets getting the faces of Vlad and Roman tatooed on his haki-saks now?

Andy74
11-10-2011, 01:42 PM
It all begs the question of what CC actually brings to the table.

He hadn't made any progress in around a year and 14 signings and BB arrives and seems to have at least begun to get a response.

ShanksSaidNo
11-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Alex Ferguson's skill as a manager is much more refined and complex than merely being able to shout at players.

Sure, he has a reputation for occasional angry outbursts, but that's last resort stuff and only when things are going wrong. It's because they are so rare that they're of interest.

Billy Brown seems to be saying that "letting the players know who's boss" etc is his preferred managerial style.

If you keep shouting and bawling at people, they will eventually either fight back, sabotage you or leave.

I believe Yogi knew how to shout and bawl too...

We finally get someone in the dugout with a bit of know how mixed with an evident abundance of passion and you want to shoot him down for shouting too much? Nonsense.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2011, 02:28 PM
We finally get someone in the dugout with a bit of know how mixed with an evident abundance of passion and you want to shoot him down for shouting too much? Nonsense.

I don't want to shoot him down for shouting too much. He can shout as much as he wants.

I'm concerned that this seems to be his only attribute.

Anyone can shout and bawl. Good coaches and managers have many more strings to their bow.

It always irritates me when people say that they have to "let them know who's boss". Now that's nonsense.

In all my working life, I've always known who my boss was and none of them ever shouted at me.

ShanksSaidNo
11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't want to shoot him down for shouting too much. He can shout as much as he wants.

Anyone can shout and bawl. Good coaches and managers have many more strings to their bow.

It always irritates me when people say that they have to "let them know who's boss". Now that's nonsense.

In all my working life, I've always known who my boss was and none of them ever shouted at me.

I fail to see how you have reached this conclusion. Since BB came in, I've seen nothing but positives around the place. From results albeit mainly draws (rome wasn't built in a day n all that!) to players attitudes. Jim Jeffries wouldn't have stuck with a right hand man for the length of time that he did who's only attribute was his ability to shout and bawl!
Think you need to cut the guy some slack.

Golden Bear
11-10-2011, 03:46 PM

At the very least, BB will also possess an invaluable knowledge of the SPL and the vast majority of the opposing teams' players.

The Falcon
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
At the very least, BB will also possess an invaluable knowledge of the SPL and the vast majority of the opposing teams' players.

And his aggressive manner does seem to complement CC's more passive and thoughtful approach.

BSEJVT
11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Having experienced first hand the "motivational" skills of Jim Telfer I have to say it's not an easy trick to pull off. Lots of people try but very few can actually do it properly and when they get it wrong they just look like a helmet. Telfer had an almost paranormal gift for assessing a situation and getting his input right, whether it was a kick up the arse or a cuddle that was required. To label these guys as just shouter's is doing their abilities a great disservice IMO.

Absolutely spot on about Telfer

Having top scored with 15% in my Higher prelims at Porty and being invited to discuss my performance with him and my parents, his opening gambit was "do you want to be an idiot all your life son?"

The conversation went fairly steadily downhill from my then perspective.

It was however the kick up the backside I needed and I knuckled down and passed my Highers

Hibbyradge
11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=ShanksSaidNo;2943999]I fail to see how you have reached this conclusion. Since BB came in, I've seen nothing but positives around the place. From results albeit mainly draws (rome wasn't built in a day n all that!) to players attitudes. Jim Jeffries ouldn't have stuck with a right hand man for the length of time that he did who's only attribute was his ability to shout and bawl!
Think you need to cut the guy some slack.[/QUOTE
I'm certain he won't be losing any sleep over the amount of slack I cut him!

I'm not impressed as you are.

blackpoolhibs
11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
And his aggressive manner does seem to complement CC's more passive and thoughtful approach.

:faf::faf: I'd say it compliments his cluelessness. If all we needed was someone to shout and bully the players, we could have got Yogi back.

The Falcon
11-10-2011, 07:50 PM
:faf::faf: I'd say it compliments his cluelessness. If all we needed was someone to shout and bully the players, we could have got Yogi back.

But he's not a bully and its a subtle, yet important difference.