PDA

View Full Version : Have Scotland Any Chance Against Spain?

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Tend to think the the Czech's will get at least a point against Lithuania which means we would need to get at least a draw against Spain on Tuesday.

Have we a chance considering they have already qualified and their team will have their minds on the weekend games with their clubs and champions league after that. Will they play a full strength team?

Remember our 1-0 wins aginst France away & England away in similar circumstances can we do it again?

IMO if we can get 2nd we will have a good chance in qualifying for the finals as most of the other 2nd placed teams are beatable, but we'll probably just miss out again.

WellingtonHibby
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
one each, caldwell from a scuffled corner...czechs get beat one nowt...
Then we get pumped out over two legs by Belgium!

hibbymac
10-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Have you been speaking to Wayne Rooneys' auld man ? :duck:

jdships
10-10-2011, 08:28 AM
In a word - NO :bye:

keep the faith
10-10-2011, 08:29 AM
No!

Allant1981
10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Cant see it happening, hopefully the liths do us a favour

Hibbyradge
10-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Hopefully Levein won't play the 5 - 6 - 0 formation which worked so well in the Czech Republic. :rolleyes:

That game, the return at Hampden and the away draw in Lithuania are the reasons we'll miss out, nothing to do with tomorrow night.

To answer your question, I can't envisage anything other than a home win, regardless of the team Spain put out.

If we're going to qualify, it will be because Lithuania beat the Czech Republic. As unlikely as it may be, there's a much better chance of that happening than us getting anything from Spain, imo.

Jack
10-10-2011, 08:42 AM
With the best will in the world I cant see Spain wanting to lose their 100% winning record – particularly at home.

A valiant attempt in Spain will see the Scots go out as a result of the don’t lose rather than go for a win tactic that’s been used. It should never have come down to the last game.

H18sry
10-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Of course we have a chance its only a game of football after all, nobody gave us a hope against Holland at Hampden France home and away and Engerland away, as long as its sport there will be upsets. Lets not forgett the Liths have already beaten the Czechs in Prague,

Sent from my villa in Alicante :greengrin
:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag

hibsbollah
10-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Their 'second choice' team will include the likes of Arbeloa, Puyol, Capdevila, David Silva, Javi Martinez, Mata, Fernando Torres and assorted Valencia and Seville geniuses. Even their second team would have a good claim to be in the worlds top five.

They'll destroy us whoever they decide to play.

SquashedFrogg
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
With the best will in the world I cant see Spain wanting to lose their 100% winning record – particularly at home.

A valiant attempt in Spain will see the Scots go out as a result of the don’t lose rather than go for a win tactic that’s been used. It should never have come down to the last game.

If the Czech striker hadn't dived in the last minute it wouldn't have come down to the last game... :agree:

JimBHibees
10-10-2011, 08:50 AM
To answer your question, I can't envisage anything other than a home win, regardless of the team Spain put out.

If we're going to qualify, it will be because Lithuania beat the Czech Republic. As unlikely as it may be, there's a much better chance of that happening than us getting anything from Spain, imo.

Tend to agree think there is more chance of Lithuania beating Czechs than us getting something from Spain. In saying that thought Lithuania were poor against us in the last game and also lost to Liectenstein 2-0 so they arent exactly in great form. You have got to hope guys like Xavi dont start and we can nick a goal and give us something to hold on to. They do have a great knack of just doing enough and their quality in depth is frightening. I heard at the weekend they have won something like their last 21 qualifying matches which says it all.

itchy07
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
If the Czech striker hadn't dived in the last minute it wouldn't have come down to the last game... :agree: Yeah, diving strikers. No place in football for them, wink wink.

jonny
10-10-2011, 08:54 AM
What I found a bit strange at the weekend was that nobody seemed to mention the goal difference factor. If we had beaten Leichtenstein by 3 goals (which was possible) then we could lose by the odd goal to Spain and Czech could've drawn and we'd still have gone through (I know... could've, should've what if..). As it stands our goal difference is the same as theirs. Because of the lack of discussion on this point I thought it must come down to head-head games so had a look at uefa's website. If 2 teams have the same points it goes to goal difference. I think we missed a trick there.

Whilst obtaining a play off place is still effectively in our own hands I think we are going to need a favour from the Hearts XI.

SquashedFrogg
10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah, diving strikers. No place in football for them, wink wink.

:greengrin

JimBHibees
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
What I found a bit strange at the weekend was that nobody seemed to mention the goal difference factor. If we had beaten Leichtenstein by 3 goals (which was possible) then we could lose by the odd goal to Spain and Czech could've drawn and we'd still have gone through (I know... could've, should've what if..). As it stands our goal difference is the same as theirs. Because of the lack of discussion on this point I thought it must come down to head-head games so had a look at uefa's website. If 2 teams have the same points it goes to goal difference. I think we missed a trick there.
Whilst obtaining a play off place is still effectively in our own hands I think we are going to need a favour from the Hearts XI.

Thats wrong it is down to head to head games first so Czech will qualify for the play offs if both teams are on the same points. We could have won 10-0 at the weekend and it wouldnt have mattered.

Taken from Wiki site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_qualifying

As in Euro 2008 qualifying: If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings.[6]

Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question
Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question
Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question
Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question
If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria 1) to 4) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6) and 7) will apply
Results of all group matches:
Superior goal difference
Higher number of goals scored
Higher number of goals scored away from home
Fair play conduct
Drawing of lots

Posh Swanny
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM

I don't think that's right because all the talk on Friday about England was that Monetenegro would top the group with two wins because of the head-to-head, yet England's goal difference is about 15 better.

Northernhibee
10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
We'll get pumped by four or five.

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Albiol, Pique, Arbeloa, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Torres, Mata
Subs: Reina, Javi Martinez, Puyol, Villa, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Thiago

The team above was the starting lineup against the Czechs on Friday even if they have an off night we have little chance against that lot, down to the Liths doing us a favour.

C'mon the Liths :thumbsup:

heretoday
10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Route One. Stick it up the front. The Spanish are used to playing teams who think they can match them passing and that.

Just get rid of it and play the Scottish way.

Then we should restrict them to about 4 nil as opposed to 7 nil.

Posh Swanny
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Route One. Stick it up the front. The Spanish are used to playing teams who think they can match them passing and that.

Just get rid of it and play the Scottish way.

Then we should restrict them to about 4 nil as opposed to 7 nil.

Aim for the corners and let CMS chase them down and you should even be good a few throw-ins and corners.

Levein will probably play Miller though so you're ****ed.

Frazerbob
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM

IF we make the play offs, it's looking like the following teams will be joining us:

Denmark best runner up so automatic qualification

Ireland, Bosnia, Croatia and Sweden seeded

Scotland/Czech, Estonia, Belgium and Montenegro unseeded.

So we would be playing one of the seeds, at Hampden on the Saturday and away on the Tuesday.

brog
10-10-2011, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;2943020]Hopefully Levein won't play the 5 - 6 - 0 formation which worked so well in the Czech Republic. :rolleyes:

I hope we do, that will give us 12 men & that's the only way we'll get a point!! :wink:

Hibbyradge
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;2943020]Hopefully Levein won't play the 5 - 6 - 0 formation which worked so well in the Czech Republic. :rolleyes:

I hope we do, that will give us 12 men & that's the only way we'll get a point!! :wink:

:na na:

:greengrin

HibeeMG
10-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Hopefully Levein won't play the 5 - 6 - 0 formation which worked so well in the Czech Republic. :rolleyes:

That game, the return at Hampden and the away draw in Lithuania are the reasons we'll miss out, nothing to do with tomorrow night.

Wot he said. :agree:

Diclonius
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
IF we make the play offs, it's looking like the following teams will be joining us:

So we would be playing one of the seeds, at Hampden on the Saturday and away on the Tuesday.

If Armenia beat Ireland to a play off place we'll be seeded.

Hibstrooper
10-10-2011, 11:11 AM

That isn't looking too bad and we'd have a chance no matter who we got.

x 2 draws on Tuesday and Scotland to qualify for their first major tournament in yonks by beating Belguim in the playoff - that'll do pig

hibsbollah
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
That isn't looking too bad and we'd have a chance no matter who we got.x 2 draws on Tuesday and Scotland to qualify for their first major tournament in yonks by beating Belguim in the playoff - that'll do pig Belgium need to beat Germany away to get 2nd...it'll be the Turks from that group.

Hibs Class
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Yet another example of why seeding ruins football. Runners-up should be entered into an open draw for the play-offs rather than trying to engineer a specific outcome.

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Yet another example of why seeding ruins football. Runners-up should be entered into an open draw for the play-offs rather than trying to engineer a specific outcome.

Have to agree, seems ridiculous that any runners up are seeded, should be an open draw for all.

Out of those I reckon we would have a chance against Ireland or Sweden.

JimBHibees
10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
That isn't looking too bad and we'd have a chance no matter who we got.

x 2 draws on Tuesday and Scotland to qualify for their first major tournament in yonks by beating Belguim in the playoff - that'll do pig

There is also a chance that Portugal could be in the play offs as they are level on points with Denmark and play in Denmark on Tuesday so a win for Denmark would see Ronaldo et al in play offs.

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
There is also a chance that Portugal could be in the play offs as they are level on points with Denmark and play in Denmark on Tuesday so a win for Denmark would see Ronaldo et al in play offs.

Somebody posted on the betting thread that a draw would see both qualify, think that's how it might end up. Worth a few quid on the draw. :wink:

JimBHibees
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Somebody posted on the betting thread that a draw would see both qualify, think that's how it might end up. Worth a few quid on the draw. :wink:

Ah right no doubt the bookies will have taken notice of that as well so odds will be short.

iwasthere1972
10-10-2011, 12:42 PM
We have about as much chance of beating Espana as Jonathan King and Gary Glitter have of jointly doing "Children in Need"

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Ah right no doubt the bookies will have taken notice of that as well so odds will be short.

Draws in other games range from 9/4 to 12/1 (Russia v Andorra) but are 13/8 for Denmark v Portugal.

Must be a banker draw.

Speedway
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
To beat Spain would be to deny our hard earned reputation as nearly men and also rans.

More plucky defeat and 'if only' for the Bravehearts this week.

jonny
10-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Thats wrong it is down to head to head games first so Czech will qualify for the play offs if both teams are on the same points. We could have won 10-0 at the weekend and it wouldnt have mattered.

Taken from Wiki site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_qualifying

As in Euro 2008 qualifying: If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings.[6]

Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question
Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question
Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question
Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question
If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two or more teams still have an equal ranking, the criteria 1) to 4) will be reapplied to determine the ranking of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6) and 7) will apply
Results of all group matches:
Superior goal difference
Higher number of goals scored
Higher number of goals scored away from home
Fair play conduct
Drawing of lots

I stand corrected.

Equality of points after the group matches
7.04 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine the rankings:
a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
teams in question;
b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in
question;
c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams
in question;
d) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played
among the teams in question;
e) if, after applying criteria a) to d) to several teams, two or more teams still have
an equal ranking, the criteria a) to d) will be reapplied to determine the ranking 7
of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to j)
apply;
f) superior goal difference in all group matches;
g) higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
h) higher number of goals scored away from home in all group matches;
i) fair play ranking in all group matches;
j) drawing of lots.

Taken directly from UEFA. I missed the 1st point when I read it earlier.

TheEastTerrace
10-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Potter will conveniently point to the penalty decision in the second Czech game but should never have come to this. Unforgivable 4-6-0 formation in the defeat in Prague and a draw against a poor Lithuania are major factors here.

Afraid I fancy Czech Republic to get the necessary points whilst there is not a chance we will beat Spain. Another qualification failure.

By some sort of miracle, we end up in the play-offs, don't fancy us there either.

Zazu62
10-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Please no kenny miller on his own up front!! PLEASE

HibeeMG
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I stand corrected.

Equality of points after the group matches
7.04 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine the rankings:
a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the
teams in question;
b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in
question;
c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams
in question;
d) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played
among the teams in question;
e) if, after applying criteria a) to d) to several teams, two or more teams still have
an equal ranking, the criteria a) to d) will be reapplied to determine the ranking 7
of these teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to j)
apply;
f) superior goal difference in all group matches;
g) higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
h) higher number of goals scored away from home in all group matches;
i) fair play ranking in all group matches;
j) drawing of lots.

Taken directly from UEFA. I missed the 1st point when I read it earlier.

Is it just me or is point c) not needed given points b) and d)?

Part/Time Supporter
10-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Is it just me or is point c) not needed given points b) and d)?

It is if there are three or more teams level.

HibeeMG
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
It is if there are three or more teams level.

Excellent point. :agree:

SteveHFC
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM
McGregor

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Bardsley

Fletcher
Morrison
Dorrans
Adam

Naismith
Mackail-Smith

Subs:
Marshall
McManus
Wallace
Bannan
McArthur
Goodwillie
Miller

James Forrest better not get near the subs bench tomorrow. :grr:

brog
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM
McGregor

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Bardsley

Fletcher
Morrison
Dorrans
Adam

Naismith
Mackail-Smith

Subs:
Marshall
McManus
Wallace
Bannan
McArthur
Goodwillie
Miller

James Forrest better not get near the subs bench tomorrow. :grr:

Correct, he looked totally lost!

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Don't know if anyone remembers the last time [IIRC] that we played Spain away? Was ....a " friendly", in the pirshing rain and we gave them the boot with some nippy tackles. Sure that it got called off because of the rain. We need something similar tomorrow and make them think of the big games that are in front of them at club level. If we try to play them at football, it is no contest, but if we leave the foot in, hopefully one or two of the more chicken-hearted of them will opt out.:take that

cheltenhamhibee
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
If the Czech striker hadn't dived in the last minute it wouldn't have come down to the last game... :agree:

or if the referee had awarded a clear penalty at the other end about a minute after !!!

edinburghhibee
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Don't know if anyone remembers the last time [IIRC] that we played Spain away? Was ....a " friendly", in the pirshing rain and we gave them the boot with some nippy tackles. Sure that it got called off because of the rain. We need something similar tomorrow and make them think of the big games that are in front of them at club level. If we try to play them at football, it is no contest, but if we leave the foot in, hopefully one or two of the more chicken-hearted of them will opt out.:take that

Something is also telling me that we were 1-0 up at the time the game was canceled as well. Totally agree with some of the posts on here I think our only chance is for Lith to do us a massive favour, but hey we've done it before. c'mon Scotland!!!

PeeJay
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Think the Spanish can dish it out as good as any, so if it comes down to "nippy tackles" we'll probably lose that as well - in truth, we probably do not have any hope at all against the Spanish, but (cliche alert!) - football's a funny old game at times, so... good luck to Scotland anyway!

YehButNoBut
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Agree to a point but Spain have improved massively since then.

Saying that they have league games coming up this weekend with Champions League games to follow a few days after so they may be holding back a little, let's hope so. :aok:

chrisski33
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
id love to see us draw or even win but realisatically we will lose! :-(

iwasthere1972
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM

1-1 Cancelled after 59 minutes. 3rd September 2004.

Spain: Casillas, Lopez Rekarte, Del Horno, Marchena, Puyol, Alonso, Joaquin, Baraja, Torres, Reyes, Tamudo. Subs: Canizares, Helguera, Salgado, Romero, Albelda, Raul, Vicente, Morientes, Victor, Valeron, Juanito.

Scotland: Gordon, Caldwell, Webster, Mackay, Naysmith, McNamara, Fletcher, Quashie, Ferguson, McFadden, Crawford. Subs: Shearer, Thompson, Miller, Cameron, Dickov, McNamee, Holt, Kyle, Pearson.

Dashing Bob S
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Scotland are Tom Kite and will lose heavily in Madrid.

The Czech Republic, though not very good, will find a gear in Litholand to win and render our turgid efforts embarrassing ludicrous and ultimately futile.

We will not make the play-offs and will not deserve to because a) we are not very good, b) our anti-football coach, an erse of he highest order.

DH1875
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Albiol, Pique, Arbeloa, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Torres, Mata
Subs: Reina, Javi Martinez, Puyol, Villa, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Thiago

The team above was the starting lineup against the Czechs on Friday even if they have an off night we have little chance against that lot, down to the Liths doing us a favour.

C'mon the Liths :thumbsup:

Ramos, Albiol and Alonso are out and they they got a few other injuries so who knows. Anyone remember France? Can't see it though so yeh, C'mon the Liths :greengrin.

Belgium need to beat Germany away to get 2nd...it'll be the Turks from that group.

If we can beat Spain, they can beat Germany :dunno:.

Just as well the games NO in Madrid then init.

snooky
10-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Of course we have a chance ............. albeit a snawba's

:snowman: in :devil:

yekimevol
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
yep we do !!!

if we can come back from 2 nil, to 3-2 at hampden, we can score against them now all we need to do is ensure that we mark up at set pieces, dont lose possession of the ball stupidly, nor in silly areas.

has the match been made even harder due to the fact that

we have a few knocks in the squad and injury's
there has been no extra strikers called up, for various reasons gazzas court case (thou i dont see that as an issue) and a few players not making themselves available for selection.
Our manager making a few strange choices along the campaign trail.

TRC
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Something is also telling me that we were 1-0 up at the time the game was canceled as well. Totally agree with some of the posts on here I think our only chance is for Lith to do us a massive favour, but hey we've done it before. c'mon Scotland!!!

Was correct we were 1-0 up think there was about 30 mins to go and it got called off was in the summer maybe just after the season had finished! 2005 i think

EasterRoad4Ever
10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
In a word, no.

If you watched Spain completely outplay the Czechs then it's a bit a silly question. Scotland will - as usual with most Scottish teams - be full of huff and puff but ultimately get well beaten by the more talented opponents.

Let's put it this way, if Scotland manage somehow to eek a result out of Spain, and qualify for the Finals, it would be the finest result a Scottish side has achieve since they went to Wembley in "67 and whipped the World Champs.

Hibbyradge
10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
What are the odds that not every Scottish player will get a touch of the ball in the 90 mins? :wink:

johnrebus
10-10-2011, 07:28 PM

The Czech Republic, though not very good, will find a gear in Litholand to win and render our turgid efforts embarrassing ludicrous and ultimately futile.

We will not make the play-offs and will not deserve to because a) we are not very good, b) our anti-football coach, an erse of he highest order.

Levein deserves a boot in the baws for this embarrassing campaign

If he is not given his jotters on Wednesday morning then the World Cup can also be written off.

nonshinyfinish
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM

It was Berra that dived in the last minute, the Czech guy dived a couple of minutes before that. :wink:

down-the-slope
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Their 'second choice' team will include the likes of Arbeloa, Puyol, Capdevila, David Silva, Javi Martinez, Mata, Fernando Torres and assorted Valencia and Seville geniuses. Even their second team would have a good claim to be in the worlds top five.

They'll destroy us whoever they decide to play.
:rolleyes: just what was said before facing the French......

Of course we have a chance...a slim one maybe..but none the less a chance. We have to keep 11 players on the pitch to have that chance and that is where we will struggle..to prssure them without picking up cards..

As has been said the other match is just as important...shame that a win in that last Hampden match and we would now be home and hosed ....to say nothing ove other points we gave up way to easily....

Should have said...I expect a famous and very creditable draw .... only for Baros to score in injury time in other match to ensure our glory being short lived....

clerriehibs
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Can't see us failing,really ... yam fud potter's got that crappy beLIEve beard thing going. We can't fail ... :rolleyes:

One Day Soon
10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
We will chase the game all night with eleven men behind the ball, barely get a sniff of possession and be beaten three or four nil. If we do score it will be an own goal, at our end.

Musselbound
10-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Cant see it happening, hopefully the liths do us a favour

Agree with that. Saw the Spain game the other night and they totally went for it first half when it was the other team that needed the points. If Scotland could get a point, forcing the Czechs to go for the win then that would be terrific, but I can see the usual brave effort ending in a credible defeat and elimination. A much better chance of the Czechs bottling it in Lithuania as you say.

Musselbound
10-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Potter will conveniently point to the penalty decision in the second Czech game but should never have come to this. Unforgivable 4-6-0 formation in the defeat in Prague and a draw against a poor Lithuania are major factors here.

Afraid I fancy Czech Republic to get the necessary points whilst there is not a chance we will beat Spain. Another qualification failure.

By some sort of miracle, we end up in the play-offs, don't fancy us there either.

It wasn't a great result but the Czechs lost at home to Lithuania. For that reason I don't really see that it was results against Lithuania that ultimately cost us. Big one for me was the Czechs at home. Scotland are notoriously poor away from home and need to be winning home games. I was at the Czech game at Hampden and in all honesty people are conveniently forgetting that Scotland didn't deserve to win that game based on the balance of play. It will be as you say though with the hard done by excuses regarding the penalty if it comes down to that.

Skanko79
10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I cant see us getting a result in Alicante tomorow, although hope im proved wrong. The only hope im holding out is that Lithuania do us a favour against the Czechs who were rank rotten against Spain on Friday night.

Sir David Gray
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Of course we have a chance, every team has a chance in every single match.

It's highly unlikely that we'll get anything tomorrow night and in all likelihood, it will be men against boys and we'll hardly get a touch of the ball until Spain have the game wrapped up.

However, you just never know in football.

Hainan Hibs
10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
We have to bypass midfield. We can't compete there so **** it, lets not even try.

Game plan : Mcgregor to Caldwell, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF, and hopefully Miller does a Paris Mcfadden.

Play the rest of the game with 11 men behind the ball, blootering anything in a 50-50, and punt the baw at every opportunity into the corner.

Then it's party time:partyhibb:saltireflag

.Sean.
10-10-2011, 09:42 PM
1-1 Cancelled after 59 minutes. 3rd September 2004.Spain: Casillas, Lopez Rekarte, Del Horno, Marchena, Puyol, Alonso, Joaquin, Baraja, Torres, Reyes, Tamudo. Subs: Canizares, Helguera, Salgado, Romero, Albelda, Raul, Vicente, Morientes, Victor, Valeron, Juanito.Scotland: Gordon, Caldwell, Webster, Mackay, Naysmith, McNamara, Fletcher, Quashie, Ferguson, McFadden, Crawford. Subs: Shearer, Thompson, Miller, Cameron, Dickov, McNamee, Holt, Kyle, Pearson. Shearer?

nortonhibby
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Tend to think the the Czech's will get at least a point against Lithuania which means we would need to get at least a draw against Spain on Tuesday.

Have we a chance considering they have already qualified and their team will have their minds on the weekend games with their clubs and champions league after that. Will they play a full strength team?

Remember our 1-0 wins aginst France away & England away in similar circumstances can we do it again?

IMO if we can get 2nd we will have a good chance in qualifying for the finals as most of the other 2nd placed teams are beatable, but we'll probably just miss out again.

NOT A CATS CHANCE IN HELL. time for levein to sign on:flag:

nortonhibby
10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
We have to bypass midfield. We can't compete there so **** it, lets not even try.

Game plan : Mcgregor to Caldwell, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF, and hopefully Miller does a Paris Mcfadden.

Play the rest of the game with 11 men behind the ball, blootering anything in a 50-50, and punt the baw at every opportunity into the corner.

Then it's party time:partyhibb:saltireflag

sounds like a Rugby type plan hoof and punt.:confused:

Speedy
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM

I reckon Denmark will qualify as winners, I don't see Portugal winning in Denmark.

If Armenia beat Ireland to a play off place we'll be seeded.

Don't think that's true, unless you are assuming we beat Spain.

The seeding is based on your performance in qualifying so it's perfectly fair imo. It's not based on ranking as in the World Cup.

basehibby
10-10-2011, 11:24 PM

:agree: I agree with this - probably our best chance of getting through is the Liths pulling off the double over the Czecks. That said there's always a slim chance of an underdog team winning a football match, which is a large part of what makes it the compelling game it is.

Levein has not made things easy for himself with his 4-6-0 but if he could pull this one off then all would be forgiven!

How much chance has he got though??? Let's just say

COME ON YE LITHS!!!

basehibby
10-10-2011, 11:35 PM

:agree: Seeding for the play offs is a nonsense - the groups are of varying difficulty and finishing second should be considered an equal achievement save for the sake of evening up the numbers by putting the best runner up straight through.

Banter
10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
We can but dream but thats the beauty of supporting Scotland - they can only but surprise you.:saltireflag

And it would be great to get it right up the twat that penned this particular story. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3864259/Scotland-facing-McMission-Impossible.html

Johnny_Leith
11-10-2011, 03:22 AM
I can't believe the question is being asked, our only chance is a Lithuania win.

iwasthere1972
11-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Shearer?

Got me baffled too. Mind you I could have got a game under Berti and it was probably some 4th rate guy who couldn't get a game for his club and was never picked again.

calmacuk
11-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Got me baffled too. Mind you I could have got a game under Berti and it was probably some 4th rate guy who couldn't get a game for his club and was never picked again.

It was Scott Shearer who played for Coventry at the time. Didn't remember him either!

http://www.acadvertiser.co.uk/coatbridge-airdrie-sport/lanarkshire-football/albion-rovers-fc/2004/04/29/shearer-eyes-up-premiership-spot-65864-14195152/

WellingtonHibby
11-10-2011, 08:28 AM
i think the thing for me, i remember going into both France games and the Italy one (1-2) genuinely thinking we could pull something off, this time round, i reckon we might be on the end of a first half hammering followed by a 45 of innefectual scottish pressure.

HibbyAndy
11-10-2011, 08:30 AM
No we dont have a chance.

We have a better chance of nailing the 2nd spot from the Liths beating the Czechs.

Albion Hibs
11-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I think like in any football game there is a chance, it may be slim to say the least but of course there is a chance. Whilst we can hope that they put out a weakend team, I think the players thay have floating around the edges will still be more than capable of winning the game, so we need 11 players playing there very best.

I think like always with Scotland it will be a case of crossing our fingers and hoping for the best! Stanger things have happened in football.

Dashing Bob S
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Ramos, Albiol and Alonso are out and they they got a few other injuries so who knows. Anyone remember France? Can't see it though so yeh, C'mon the Liths :greengrin.

Just as well the games NO in Madrid then init.

Isn't it? Oh, I fancy us then.

NOLA
11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
heroic failure, its the scottish way.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2011, 01:55 PM

That's a brilliant argument. :hilarious

It's a bit like me saying, "if I can run a marathon in sub 2 hours 15, you can too".

twiceinathens
11-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Fancied a double with Andorra to beat Russia but realised that Scotland result would make it too much of a long shot.

Gettin' Auld
11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Of course we have a chance - Hopefully the Scotland players will have more belief than many of the posters on here.......

JimBHibees
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Of course we have a chance - Hopefully the Scotland players will have more belief than many of the posters on here.......

I agree and I sure the players will have more belief. Spain have undoubted quality and will IMO be more dangerous earlier in the game however the fact they are already qualified and many of their players will have very busy club schedules will to me have an impact. It may make no difference and they might score a few however the longer the game goes then the less bothered they may be.

I also think the Scotland team are getting better and that HP is building a half decent squad with a bit of spirit about them. We have quality too and it would be great if guys like Adam/Fletcher/Bannan etc really show their best tonight. Having an approximate 10k Scottish fans in the stadium will hopefully also be a big factor. A wee bit of luck and inspiration and who knows.

Hibrandenburg
11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
We'll do this the Scottish way. Beat Spain and get humped in the play-offs.