PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Driver Tornadoes

aberhibsfc
08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
More Turnbulls Tornadoes than Travis Bickle.

I may be well off the reservation, but I was in a taxi a couple of weeks ago and the guys face has been niggling away ever since.

Anyone know if one of these guys drive a cab, if so :not worth

Jack
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Greentinted
08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Alex Cropley drives a black cab IIRC.
http://www.arsenal.com/history/profiles/162/alex-cropley

aberhibsfc
08-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Alex Cropley drives a black cab IIRC.
http://www.arsenal.com/history/profiles/162/alex-cropley

Thanks man, this is the guy. I knew his face and it was tormenting me for a couple of weeks.

Wish I had picked it up at the time it would have been good to have a bit of banter with him.

I don't get cabs too often and what were the chances of this encounter, I left a tip so that make up for it a little bit.

All I can say is :not worth

The Harp
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Changed days for 'Sojer' - Turnbull's Tornadoes didnae carry any passengers :rolleyes:(sorry about that).
The thread's got me thinking about other players who have finished up behind the wheel of a cab after hanging up the boots
In addition to AC ... Jock Buchanan, the late Hibs centre forward was on the taxis, also Gordon Hunter.
Only other ex player I can think of is Ralph Brand - ex Ibrox inmate from way back.
Anyone know of any more?

Iggy Pope
08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Changed days for 'Sojer' - Turnbull's Tornadoes didnae carry any passengers :rolleyes:(sorry about that).
The thread's got me thinking about other players who have finished up behind the wheel of a cab after hanging up the boots
In addition to AC ... Jock Buchanan, the late Hibs centre forward was on the taxis, also Gordon Hunter.
Only other ex player I can think of is Ralph Brand - ex Ibrox inmate from way back.
Anyone know of any more?

Pat Stanton drove one for a while - late 80s early 90s maybe?

clerriehibs
08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks man, this is the guy. I knew his face and it was tormenting me for a couple of weeks.

Wish I had picked it up at the time it would have been good to have a bit of banter with him.

I don't get cabs too often and what were the chances of this encounter, I left a tip so that make up for it a little bit.

All I can say is :not worth

been in his cab twice - and he wasnae shy either time getting the chat round to the tornadoes and "who was your favourite player?" ... luckily, he was mine!

aberhibsfc
09-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Sadly the Tornadoes were lifting the League Cup and singing a Hibs re-write of Lennon's classic Christmas song in celebration of their mark on Hibernian's history. Oops, yep, sadly as it was the year I was born. Quick glance at Cropley's career and the clubs he represented, it was a golden era for Scottish players, they were more than holding their own in England's top Division.

Looking at the Scotland team tonight, okay, these guys aren't quite there yet with that wonderous era. However our players are begining to make a significant mark down south and it's no surprise that the Scotland team, whilst doing it the Scotland way are making a bit of a come back. Still think we are a couple of years away under Potter's stewardship, however their is some decent players coming together at the same time and with a little sprinkling of cross border theft in terms of Bardsley and Smith.

The money down south and the easy plundering of the SPL is providing us with a number of players filling the EPL rosters. We've travelled a bit away from the Dailly or Weir's caps because they were subs in Engerland, the current crop in the main are getting games. Also the improvement in the Champ Div has helped as there is a fair number getting pitch time and at a good level.

Still shameful about McGeady and the Accies boy who opted for Eire. But we're going along nicely and even more so if our Fletch and Levien could man up and sort things out. Think Fletch will get a move to a EPL club further up the food chain in the next year or so if he keeps going the way he is. Would be good if McFadden could get fit and a club too, like the look of the Bannan boy.

Don't know if we'll make the play-off or even better go through via this, but boy what a shot in the arm if we do.

Hibs On Tour
12-10-2011, 12:04 PM
No a Hibs player and dunno if he ended up driving a cab or not but when I first went along to do my brief Gary Mason [ex Man City/Dunfermline] was there too. Good lad as it happens, known him for quite a few years now...

cabbageandribs1875
12-10-2011, 01:03 PM
did benny brazil not end up driving buses ?(LRT)

can we get a bus icon along with the :taxi one :greengrin

.Sean.
12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
A Jordan Cropley has signed for Haddy Ath, I'm assuming it's the same guy who was at Hibs therefore the son of Alex.

Dunbar Hibee
12-10-2011, 02:12 PM
A Jordan Cropley has signed for Haddy Ath, I'm assuming it's the same guy who was at Hibs therefore the son of Alex.

Aye, it is. :agree:

Jack
12-10-2011, 02:23 PM
did benny brazil not end up driving buses ?(LRT)

can we get a bus icon along with the :taxi one :greengrin

Aye, sometimes see the man himself in the morning if I get the early bus :agree:

.Sean.
12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Aye, it is. :agree: Cheers B mate.

cabbageandribs1875
12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Aye, sometimes see the man himself in the morning if I get the early bus :agree:

has he still got enough hair for a perm :eek:

fat freddy
12-10-2011, 06:18 PM
another ex pro but from the dark side...jimmy sandison...i hear hes to be seen driving around town in a taxi.

whatever happened to the other tornadoes?

jim heriot?

john brownlie has remained in the game in various capacities.

shades got a pub or two before his sad demise

pat stanton had a few pubs as well

jim black?

john blackley has also remained involved in football

alex edwards?

jimmy o'rourke had a few pubs

alan gordon was an accountant before his recent passing

soj has his taxi

arthur is off down under after retiring from his career as a chiropodist

so what happened to jim heriot, jim black and alex edwards?...pubs or taxi's?.. the first correct answer wins a taxi to the pub.

ancient hibee
12-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Edwards worked for S and N.

Jack
12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
has he still got enough hair for a perm :eek: Hair but no perm :-)

Iggy Pope
12-10-2011, 07:33 PM

He was at Arniston for a while too. Shame it never worked out for him but he's not alone.