PDA

View Full Version : A view on Edinburgh Capitals

stu in nottingham
08-10-2011, 03:28 PM
This article features in the Nottingham Post today with Nottingham taking on Edinburgh tonight at home. It's a pretty damning, harsh, and I think rather crowing piece bearing in mind that in spite of everything, the Nottingham Panthers can't win the league to save themselves. Sadly, the Caps really do seem to be in poor shape though.

Panthers' lesson for the less affluent of Britain's ice hockey teams (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Panthers-lesson-affluent-Britain-s-ice-hockey/story-13504479-detail/story.html)

Sylar
08-10-2011, 04:44 PM
They certainly don't look like they're in the same league as some of the teams, but all things considered, when so many teams have left the league on account of financial difficulties, isn't it just good to see clubs making up a league we can watch live on a weekly basis?

They've taken some heavy beatings thus far (including the last time they faced the Panthers and not to mention the Sheffield game...) and perhaps the criticism is deserved, but I agree, the article is almost "gloating", ahead of tonight's game.

I'm going along to watch another of the "less affluent" teams in the league tomorrow, as we welcome Hull to Dundee and looking forward it, despite expecting us to probably lose!

stu in nottingham
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
They certainly don't look like they're in the same league as some of the teams, but all things considered, when so many teams have left the league on account of financial difficulties, isn't it just good to see clubs making up a league we can watch live on a weekly basis?

The latter would be my point. Many of us recall very small leagues of as little as five teams playing each other constantly and it was as boring as hell. I think the elitist attitude shown in that piece has no place in UK hockey either as it struggles to keep a decent foothold in sport in this country from year to year. It's no wonder why some people have a difficult time liking the Nottingham Panthers if that piece is what they judge them by.

Good luck to the Dundee during the season and enjoy your game bud. I recall the eighties version of Dundee - a franchise that Nottingham couldn't buy a win off!

KdyHby
08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Caps fans' views on the piece: http://www.edinburgh-capitals.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9158&pid=115311&st=0&#entry115311

stu in nottingham
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Interesting and justified response from Caps fans in my opinion. Probably many of the current Panthers supporters don't remember getting their ass kicked big time on a regular basis by Murrayfield back in the day.

The writer of the article is almost certainly Mick Holland of the Nottingham Post who has been reporting on the Panthers since their reformation in 1980. He really should know better.

LancashireHibby
08-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I know I say this every time there's a hockey thread, but I really should start taking in the odd game again. Mention of the old IHSL has even spurred me on to a nostalgic look for old Manchester Storm videos on YouTube (we even used to have a highlights package on ITV Granada on a Saturday back in the day!)

KdyHby
08-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I know I say this every time there's a hockey thread, but I really should start taking in the odd game again. Mention of the old IHSL has even spurred me on to a nostalgic look for old Manchester Storm videos on YouTube (we even used to have a highlights package on ITV Granada on a Saturday back in the day!)

Ex Caps Martin Cingel and Tony Hand at Phoenix: http://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/

joe breezy
09-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Why do ice hockey teams keep changing names? We wouldn't let Hibs change names every 20 years...

LancashireHibby
09-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Ex Caps Martin Cingel and Tony Hand at Phoenix: http://www.manchesterphoenix.co.uk/

Managed to surprise myself that I recognised Tony Hand's name considering he never played for the Storm.

Why do ice hockey teams keep changing names? We wouldn't let Hibs change names every 20 years...
Presume it's the same case for Murrayfield/Edinburgh but I know Manchester and Sheffield changed their names because the original clubs went bust.

Sylar
09-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Didn't expect us to win tonight, but we edged Hull 3-1 tonight :thumbsup: