PDA

View Full Version : If Hibs tried to play like Spain/Barca..

wearethehibs
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Watching the Spain game and discussed what it would be like if Hibs tried to play that way and came to the conclusion this is what you'd hear from the stands. Get it forward! Have a shot FFS. Why you going back? The goals that way! Get it in the ****ing box! And so on and so on.

I'm probably setting myself up for a bit of abuse but I don't think any fans in Scotland would have patients for there team trying to play that way.

I know our results haven't been good and I'd much rather watch us lose by trying to play the Spanish way than just kick and rush.

nonshinyfinish
07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Watching the Spain game and discussed what it would be like if Hibs tried to play that way and came to the conclusion this is what you'd hear from the stands. Get it forward! Have a shot FFS. Why you going back? The goals that way! Get it in the ****ing box! And so on and so on.

I'm probably setting myself up for a bit of abuse but I don't think any fans in Scotland would have patients for there team trying to play that way.

I know our results haven't been good and I'd much rather watch us lose by trying to play the Spanish way than just kick and rush.

While I agree that fans' lack of patience might be a problem, I think the major downfall if Hibs tried this would be that the players lack the ability to retain possession in the way that Barca do. We'd end up giving the ball away in our own half all the time - although in fairness we already do a reasonable amount of that. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-10-2011, 09:04 PM
The problem we, or any team of our standard for that matter, would have is that we would not have the players with the technical ability who could retain possession and find the killer passes in the forward areas of the pitch.

Most professional football teams could retain possession for large periods within their own half, particularly if there was little or no pressure being put on the ball from the opposition, but they would hardly ever make it over the halfway line playing like that.

thebakerboy
07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Think that the biggest part of the Spain/Barca way of playing is their work ethic , their 11 players work harder than 11 out of any other 55 players in the SPL. As John Hughes said "hard work will beat talent without hard work" but hard work with talent will beat everyone else , so the first part of any successful team is HARD WORK and this is what we need whether we can play like Spain/Barca or not.

bobbyhibs1983
07-10-2011, 09:08 PM
It would be good to see if nothing else, lol
Though IMO i dont think our players have the mentality to do this for a few reasons
1.training,can you imagen the barca/spain players only training a few hours a day or whatever the hibs players do at the moment?AS im sure im not the only one to see it but we have a lack of fitness for starters,IF and its a huge IF we tried to play anywhere near or a few miles away from barca/spain then we have to get fit and practice over and over and over and over(i ll stop here in case im boring you:greengrin) Again

2 the mentalilty .I guess im sorta thinking alone the lines of the nightlife, the drinking culture here.when was the last time you heard about "messi in 3am nightclub brawl" sorta thing?(though to be fair i dont recall any of our players being invovled in that).
I guess it goes for all big clubs that there players in genral dont be seen to be out drinking or taking drugs as such and i feel there must be a culture at the club there at.Though to be fair rooney and giggs have had problems in the last year or so but i dont tihnk its down to there drinking.

Or have i sorta missed the point?:confused:

At The Edge
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Can you imagine the amount of heart attacks in the stands as Hibs casually pass the ball around their own 18 yard box after getting the ball back from an opposition attack! neat pass and move then pass upto our midfield who look up and see the full back making himself available after winning the ball back 30 metres in his own box.

Nae danger we would settle for this,
the shouts of 'just ....ing row z it' would be loud and clear :greengrin

unfortunatley

TheEastTerrace
07-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I read an article by Jonathan Wilson on the Copa America and said Argentina's issue was that they failed miserably when they tried to play like Barcelona with only two weeks practice behind them whereas Barcelona have nurtured their players for years at La Masia, since they were youngsters, instilling the tactics, philosophy, skills and understanding that cannot be taught overnight.

Hainan Hibs
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I can see your point, I remember playing for my primary school team and one poor guy getting slaughtered from the sidelines for trying to play it out from the back. I go running in and hoooooof it 50 yards up the park to cheers of "YAAAAS" from the manager as if I'd scored:greengrin.

However, the way Spain play is unreal, and I don't think many if any teams could hope to play like that.

JustSimplyHibs
07-10-2011, 09:38 PM

It's the mentality of Scottish folk from the media to fans...even in youth football, the SFA show coaches how they should coach kids yet 80% of our youth coachs have a win win mentality and do not practise what they get coached in, so straight away our players are set to fail.

As for Hibs well av been watching alot of old games recently from the early 90s and you want to know something the passion from our fans aint the same as what it was, regardless of what team takes to the pitch and that was under Alex Miller when the passion was really strong and yeah i think ER was once an intimidating place to play in not now.....maybe because it was standing instead of sitting on yer backside yet even when the seats were first put in halfway through the 90s we were still really intimidating followers.

frazeHFC
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I bloody wish we did. Barca play in triangles which is the most effective tactic i have ever seen, there is always a pass and closing down in easy. Guardiola has a 6 second rule where if they lose the ball, they have 6 seconds to win it back, and they do a lot of the time.

A joy to watch. :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
07-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Think that the biggest part of the Spain/Barca way of playing is their work ethic , their 11 players work harder than 11 out of any other 55 players in the SPL. As John Hughes said "hard work will beat talent without hard work" but hard work with talent will beat everyone else , so the first part of any successful team is HARD WORK and this is what we need whether we can play like Spain/Barca or not.This is a myth in my opinion. Barca do not 'work harder' than any other contemporary team in modern football. The reason why they are THE best team anywhere in the last 40 years is a cultural commitment to technical excellence and passing into space. They owe a massive amount to Cruyffs inheritance. They are the REAL embodiment of total football.

PISTOL1875
07-10-2011, 10:30 PM

I would love to see HIbs try and play that way..

1. Making 10-20 passes and passing our way through teams before having a pop at goal wouldn't work down to the fact we don't have the players to play this way.. Technically they just aren't good enough..

2. Scottish football is played at 400 mph so having a patient passing game would fail due to the quickness of how the opposition would press you.. Mistakes would happen a lot more and we would get caught in possession in our defensive 3rd of the park.. Teams press you high then you will be forced to go long...

3. Supporters would be straight on your case as soon as you don't get it forward as soon as the defender receives the ball from the goalie... Supporters would be bursting blood vessels if a midfielder has to play the ball back to the defender.. Un-educated supporters will say this is crap but fans who know about football will see that this is simply keeping possession...

PISTOL1875
07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
This is a myth in my opinion. Barca do not 'work harder' than any other contemporary team in modern football. The reason why they are THE best team anywhere in the last 40 years is a cultural commitment to technical excellence and passing into space. They owe a massive amount to Cruyffs inheritance. They are the REAL embodiment of total football.

People forget it was Cryuff that introduced the Dutch way when he took over at Barcelona...

hibsbollah
07-10-2011, 10:39 PM
People forget it was Cryuff that introduced the Dutch way when he took over at Barcelona... Well said :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
08-10-2011, 06:16 AM
"Twas always the case from the terraces since ever I remember and I guess it always shall be.

Broken Gnome
08-10-2011, 07:35 AM
In our own inferior way, when we did play with a certain style (Mowbray, possibly less so Collins) I can remember frequent 'GETTHEBAWUPTHEPARK!' grumbles. And that was with a passing game that could not have been much more direct.

Very much with Hughes early days as well.

Peevemor
08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
It's like when we (or any team for that matter) are a goal behind with 10 minutes to go - everyone starts screaming for the ball to be lumped up the park. If it's good enough to 'win' final minutes of a match, why not do it all the time? :dunno: :devil:

Hibby Bairn
08-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Need to be reallly fit. And you need players wanting the ball particularly midfield where they rotate possession endlessly.

Most British midfielders play hide and seek due to insecurity about their ability and they know the guys behind them will just lump it anyway.

As someone said above....the Barca/Spain 'way' starts at age 10. So 10 years of repetitive practice on show. I think when Collins preached this the players went in the huff cos training was boring!!!

thebakerboy
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
This is a myth in my opinion. Barca do not 'work harder' than any other contemporary team in modern football. The reason why they are THE best team anywhere in the last 40 years is a cultural commitment to technical excellence and passing into space. They owe a massive amount to Cruyffs inheritance. They are the REAL embodiment of total football.

Have you ever seen the difference between Ivan and Messi when they lose the ball (it does happen to Messi sometimes) , one stands and moans about it and the other chases back even to his own box to get the ball back , thats the difference in work ethic . Also when a Barca player makes a good pass he doesn't stand and admire the result he is moving in to position to get the ball back if needed , thats work ethic , something GO'C excepted you don't see often at ER.

Posh Swanny
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I was talking recently about this exact subject. When Collins was in charge, Hibs very rarely punted the ball up the park from the keeper, but it only took one player getting caught in possession and the attitude from the stands turned with panicked shouts and abuse every time thereafter. This isn't unique to Hibs though, it happens everywhere in the UK.

Miles behind.

heretoday
08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Fitness, skill, concentration etc etc

Actually, it may seem like sacrilege nowadays to say it but it can get a trifle dull watching Barca/Spain.

It's even duller watching teams of lesser ability trying to play like that.