PDA

View Full Version : Food at Easter Road

Jack
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Once again the standard of food at Easter Road has come under fire* – if only, burnt might be better! :devil:

The prison service has a rule that a Governor must sample the food that is given to the prisoners. They make comments on it and those comments are regularly reviewed.

I wonder what the reaction of the Directors at Hibernian FC would be if a similar rule was introduced making it compulsory for them to sample the fare provided for the supporters in the stands.

Here Rod, you try the pizza this week!!!!

Anyone think it may improve?

* Alan Rough and Derek Johnstone went to every SPL ground to try the pies. Hibs came last. :rolleyes:

HibsMax
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Seriously, how hard can it be to heat up a friggin' pie or pizza? I wouldn't expect world class cuisine but edible would be a start. LOL.

I miss my pie and bovril but will make do with hot dogs and beer. :)

Geo_1875
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Once again the standard of food at Easter Road has come under fire* – if only, burnt might be better! :devil:

The prison service has a rule that a Governor must sample the food that is given to the prisoners. They make comments on it and those comments are regularly reviewed.

I wonder what the reaction of the Directors at Hibernian FC would be if a similar rule was introduced making it compulsory for them to sample the fare provided for the supporters in the stands.

* Alan Rough and Derek Johnstone went to every SPL ground to try the pies. Hibs came last. :rolleyes:

Those 2 well known salad dodgers certainly know their pies. I wonder who won the fight for the last one?

Dashing Bob S
06-10-2011, 12:46 PM

What would Johnstone know? The pies wouldn't stay in his mouth long enough on their high-speed route to his gut to even graze his tastebuds.

matty_f
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
The food at Easter Road is an utter disgrace. No quality control whatsoever and the pricing is ridiculous. I refuse to buy anything there. Last time I got a pie that cost about three times what you'd pay in Greggs for one, and it was so hard I reckon if my aim was good enough I could have knocked out the linesman with it.

WhileTheChief..
06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Pah! Nonsense! The steak pies are tremendous and piping hot, much better than Greggsand well worth a couple of quid!! Never understood how folk complain about them being cold. Eat them at the game - don't take them home with you!

Golden Bear
06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
The Caterers in the main employ kids to prepare and sell the grub and I'd be surprised if they had to go through even the most basic of training prior to being employed.

And yes, things can wrong even if their only invovement is heating the pies up etc.

hibsbollah
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Service terrible, rude and surly, unhygienic and worst value for money in the SPL.

(This could also describe Alan O'Brien but at least he was quick) :tumble:

Phil MaGlass
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Amazing that we cant even get the pies at ER right, it only takes someone at Hibs to do the simple thing and check the pies now and again and if they are not upto scratch the company lose their contract, simple no??

calumhibee1
06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I actually love the pies at ER. :greengrin

.SeventyFive
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I might be on my own here but I think the food is ace. I regularly get both a pizza and a pie, mix them together in a giant bowl and enjoy.

thebakerboy
06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
If ER came last where did Parkhead come 'cause the same company does both and I think Inverness??????

green&left
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
What type of grub are people expecting at a f****** fitba match? Everytime i've tried something its been spot on. Prices are expensive but foods alright.

hibsbollah
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I actually love the pies at ER. :greengrin

Which ones? The last two times ive got the scotch pie the pastry was so hard it could have caused serious injury. When i finally got inside, the meat was the consistency of runny porridge. It collapsed like a Gorgie jakey's stomach.

Its really not that difficult to heat up a pie. I do it all the time :greengrin

LancashireHibby
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think the pies are too bad at ER, personally. Though strike me down for saying it, I thought the steak pie at Tynecastle earlier in the season was pretty good (about the only thing that manky lot can do right).

silverhibee
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
The food at Easter Road is an utter disgrace. No quality control whatsoever and the pricing is ridiculous. I refuse to buy anything there. Last time I got a pie that cost about three times what you'd pay in Greggs for one, and it was so hard I reckon if my aim was good enough I could have knocked out the linesman with it.

Bought a couple of pies at the St Js game and they were disgusting, hardly no mince in them at all, and the crust was brick hard, and wait for it, they have the cheek to ask for £2.20 a pie, a total rip off and the club should be having a strong word with the caterers that supply the food at ER.

staunchhibby
06-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Over priced and rubbish

.Sean.
06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
The curry pies are atrocious, over-done and too hard to eat. The meat is bogging too, all four cubes of it.

Hibby D
06-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Glaikit kids serving (and I use that term loosely) over-priced, poor quality food, no more, no thanks! I seriously wish the club would put a little more effort into improving things. I'm not suggesting we totally break away from the mould of the traditional Scottish Football ground fayre but maybe add to the experience and quality; Pre-packed cold filled rolls and sandwiches, at realistic prices. Cartons of ice cold milk :drool: or fresh orange juice...I mean it's not difficult to freshen things up a bit. But at the very least, they need to look at the pricing and quality :agree:

ps Come winter time when I'm like a frozen penguin I concede I will (grudgingly) partake of a Bovril :greengrin

TheEastTerrace
06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Glaikit kids serving (and I use that term loosely) over-priced, poor quality food, no more, no thanks! I seriously wish the club would put a little more effort into improving things. I'm not suggesting we totally break away from the mould of the traditional Scottish Football ground fayre but maybe add to the experience and quality; Pre-packed cold filled rolls and sandwiches, at realistic prices. Cartons of ice cold milk :drool: or fresh orange juice...I mean it's not difficult to freshen things up a bit. But at the very least, they need to look at the pricing and quality :agree:

ps Come winter time when I'm like a frozen penguin I concede I will (grudgingly) partake of a Bovril :greengrin

Without wanting to bang on about the Germans and how they do it so much better...they do!

Fairly cheap, tastes good, don't have to wait an age and you can have a beer. Simples.

Shame we're in the 'rip off the fans' trade in this country. £2.20 for a mince pie??!! Stinks.

truehibernian
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Hibernian always misses a trick on marketing and involving local business. To be frank, whoever dreams up ideas at ER is atrocious at their job. From the food quality to strip launches, to the website.

Regards food and pies.......there is a world famous butchers whose colours are green and whose name means quality.....in the area too. Crombies ! Steak pie only just over one pound in the shop......surely not rocket science to at least explore and see if Hibs can match Killie for being known for a quality pie ?

Still cannae beat Bains though !

Ritchie
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hibernian always misses a trick on marketing and involving local business. To be frank, whoever dreams up ideas at ER is atrocious at their job. From the food quality to strip launches, to the website.

Regards food and pies.......there is a world famous butchers whose colours are green and whose name means quality.....in the area too. Crombies ! Steak pie only just over one pound in the shop......surely not rocket science to at least explore and see if Hibs can match Killie for being known for a quality pie ?

Still cannae beat Bains though !

Crombies is just down from my work and i frequently go there for my lunch... the pies & pastries are tremendous! :agree:

heretoday
06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
The food at ER was always ghastly. In the sixties my dad and I used to take in pork pies and crisps to eat.

Best pies used to be at Falkirk Brockville - not too greasy, decent pastry and full of goodness.

HibbyAndy
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I will quite simply not pay £2.20 for a pie. Absolute no chance, Id rather fill my face with munchies from Greggs before entering the stadium.

hibsbollah
06-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Hibernian always misses a trick on marketing and involving local business. To be frank, whoever dreams up ideas at ER is atrocious at their job. From the food quality to strip launches, to the website.Regards food and pies.......there is a world famous butchers whose colours are green and whose name means quality.....in the area too. Crombies ! Steak pie only just over one pound in the shop......surely not rocket science to at least explore and see if Hibs can match Killie for being known for a quality pie ?Still cannae beat Bains though !Can you imagine Crombies doing the food at ER? :drool:The manna house at the top of easter road also does excellent food, although its a bit of a continental bakery vibe. I just make and take a sandwich and a carton for the wee one now, but it would be so much better if we didnt have to.

Gettin' Auld
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Without wanting to bang on about the Germans and how they do it so much better...they do!

Fairly cheap, tastes good, don't have to wait an age and you can have a beer. Simples.

Shame we're in the 'rip off the fans' trade in this country. £2.20 for a mince pie??!! Stinks.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAL-fZ0PJo7WZh9xOQpnRfPKjpuer7O-2PIam-SWBwGClrHaLtvXLdv9KUwA

:thumbsup:

truehibernian
06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Can you imagine Crombies doing the food at ER? :drool:The manna house at the top of easter road also does excellent food, although its a bit of a continental bakery vibe. I just make and take a sandwich and a carton for the wee one now, but it would be so much better if we didnt have to.

That's the thing though bollah, I just wonder how far Hibs go to explore investing in local business, especially those with a good reputation. Killie, as well as the footy, are known for their pies..........so folk will buy them to see what the fuss is about. If you got someone like Crombies on board then folk would perhaps pay the £2 for a good, quality steak pie. If it only costs £1.20 in the shop, I don't see why you couldn't. Yes they need to cover staff and catering costs but I am positive it could be done. Not that I am on commission from the place but they recently supplied us for an event and they were very easy to deal with, and cost was excellent. The kids and young folk literally loved the food too.

You've also got Tony Crolla and La Favorita on Leith Walk........explore them doing Hibs pizzas..........just explore and see if there is a better, more localised way to improve catering (and above all quality).

You probably are like me and grew up with the greasy pie and the bovril (if indeed we ate at games). But the simple truth nowadays is that people want value for money and quality at football. My eldest likes a wee Subway to himself and when he sees the pizza or pie at Easter Road he turn his nose up (wee snob :greengrin). That's the modern football fan...............in fact, what would be wrong with granting concessions within Easter Road (like they do with the bookies).

Maybe one day mate we will be sitting with our kids, Crabbies in one hand, Crombies steak pie or Subway meatball sandwich in the other, wazing lyrical about how the Hibernian midfield could do with an Ed De Graaf type :greengrin

EskbankHibby
06-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Without wanting to bang on about the fifers at EEP recently for the 2-2 game i was delighted with the quality of the stovies and the bridies, excellent.

£1:50 for the stovies iirc, tremendous value.

Poor quality pies at ER imo, overpriced and filled with molten lava.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I refuse to pay the over inflated prices that the catering company want for their pies (even if they were 50p each I still wouldn't buy one as I don't eat meat), chips, crisps or any other food that they serve. I do on a rare occasion buy their tea but that's only because you can no longer get in the ground with a flask. I know I'm going to get a wee bit hungry at the match so I take my own vegetarian sausage rolls. £1.29 for a box of 6 Linda McCartney sausage rolls and they are delicious. :drool:

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
The staff who serve them are as thick as mince. They give me water bottles instead of pouring it into a cup on a regular basic(which ends up with a steward asking me to bin it) and I always have to give my order at least twice before the actually get it.

Hermit Crab
06-10-2011, 05:46 PM
The food is terrible at ER. Its a case of buy now pay later on the crapper scenario haha:greengrin

Seriously though the Mince Pies are disgusting and full of gristle (spelling) and the pastry is usually solid. The steak and so called gravy pies are dried out and you find more fat and connective tissue than you do meat.

(when i moved form the old east to the west upper i though great we will get pies with real gravy and meat in them, i was mistaken)

Chicken balti pies are also woeful as .sean. states in an above post. The prices are an absolute shambles and i dont know how they can justify charging £2.40 for a 500ml bottle of Coke or Diet Coke poured into a paper cup when the shops along ER sell them for 90p. Hibs are holding fans to ransom because you cant bring cans or bottles in to the stadium.

I have not dared to try the hot cats/dogs or the cheese burgers or hamburgers in those foil bags yet and Im in no hurry to either.

Meal deal the west upper is a mince pie and a tea/coffee or bovril for £4.20 - that is truely shocking. :no way:

Cmon Hibs get it sorted. Decent catering is minimum surely??? :agree:

Paisley Hibby
06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Pah! Nonsense! The steak pies are tremendous and piping hot, much better than Greggsand well worth a couple of quid!! Never understood how folk complain about them being cold. Eat them at the game - don't take them home with you!

agree with you about this!

weecounty hibby
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM
The biggest issue is with the cost. The food itself is acceptable in the main but the prices are an absolute scandal. If it was your local greasy spoon charging those prices it would close down very quickly as no one would pay so much given a choice. But there in lies the problem, captive audience of football fans = piss taking of the highest porder when it comes to pricing!

frazeHFC
06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
The BTG food is a joke. Very, very expensive. Cost less a few years ago for a much bigger portion.

H18sry
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM

I remember Colin Cameron getting hit by a pie thrown from the west stand a good few years ago :whistle:

connerg
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
The food at ER was always ghastly. In the sixties my dad and I used to take in pork pies and crisps to eat.

Best pies used to be at Falkirk Brockville - not too greasy, decent pastry and full of goodness.

Had a Steak Bridie at Dunfermline recently, only £2.20 and delicious. I think the mince pies at ER are not bad tbh, a wee bit overpriced but at least the bovril has improved. Had a curry pie at St Johnstone last season and it was bogging.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I remember Colin Cameron getting hit by a pie thrown from the west stand a good few years ago :whistle:

They eat pies in the west stand? :shocked:

Scott Allan Key
06-10-2011, 07:14 PM
That's the thing though bollah, I just wonder how far Hibs go to explore investing in local business, especially those with a good reputation. Killie, as well as the footy, are known for their pies..........so folk will buy them to see what the fuss is about. If you got someone like Crombies on board then folk would perhaps pay the £2 for a good, quality steak pie. If it only costs £1.20 in the shop, I don't see why you couldn't. Yes they need to cover staff and catering costs but I am positive it could be done. Not that I am on commission from the place but they recently supplied us for an event and they were very easy to deal with, and cost was excellent. The kids and young folk literally loved the food too.

You've also got Tony Crolla and La Favorita on Leith Walk........explore them doing Hibs pizzas..........just explore and see if there is a better, more localised way to improve catering (and above all quality).

You probably are like me and grew up with the greasy pie and the bovril (if indeed we ate at games). But the simple truth nowadays is that people want value for money and quality at football. My eldest likes a wee Subway to himself and when he sees the pizza or pie at Easter Road he turn his nose up (wee snob :greengrin). That's the modern football fan...............in fact, what would be wrong with granting concessions within Easter Road (like they do with the bookies).

Maybe one day mate we will be sitting with our kids, Crabbies in one hand, Crombies steak pie or Subway meatball sandwich in the other, wazing lyrical about how the Hibernian midfield could do with an Ed De Graaf type :greengrin

I would love to see Crombies or Tony Crolla at Easter Road providing food. I have also had dealings with Crombies and they are very accomodating and make excellent, tasty, reasonable products. The pizza at Easter Road at moment is bearable but barely tasty. Get La Favorita in!:aok:

Hermit Crab
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Had a Steak Bridie at Dunfermline recently, only £2.20 and delicious. I think the mince pies at ER are not bad tbh, a wee bit overpriced but at least the bovril has improved. Had a curry pie at St Johnstone last season and it was bogging.

That will be why you bought 2 of them then?? :confused: After wolfing down 2 steak pies you gannet!

TRC
06-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Would love to see the GP on the food at ER It's really overpriced for the quality. I think the local business is the way to go. No one wants Cordon Bleu food at ER but a certain standard should be served. I know Crombies does a great discount on their burgers when bought in bulk. However this would mean they may have to get some proper people in to cook the food. Also I saw the someone else talk about the staff anyone that works with food in the UK must have at least basic food and hygiene or be shown to be trying to get it.

connerg
06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
[/B]That will be why you bought 2 of them then?? :confused: After wolfing down 2 steak pies you gannet!

Right enough, you were there with me. Did we have a few refreshments before the game????????????? :greengrin

hibsbollah
06-10-2011, 07:48 PM
That's the thing though bollah, I just wonder how far Hibs go to explore investing in local business, especially those with a good reputation. Killie, as well as the footy, are known for their pies..........so folk will buy them to see what the fuss is about. If you got someone like Crombies on board then folk would perhaps pay the £2 for a good, quality steak pie. If it only costs £1.20 in the shop, I don't see why you couldn't. Yes they need to cover staff and catering costs but I am positive it could be done. Not that I am on commission from the place but they recently supplied us for an event and they were very easy to deal with, and cost was excellent. The kids and young folk literally loved the food too.You've also got Tony Crolla and La Favorita on Leith Walk........explore them doing Hibs pizzas..........just explore and see if there is a better, more localised way to improve catering (and above all quality). You probably are like me and grew up with the greasy pie and the bovril (if indeed we ate at games). But the simple truth nowadays is that people want value for money and quality at football. My eldest likes a wee Subway to himself and when he sees the pizza or pie at Easter Road he turn his nose up (wee snob :greengrin). That's the modern football fan...............in fact, what would be wrong with granting concessions within Easter Road (like they do with the bookies).Maybe one day mate we will be sitting with our kids, Crabbies in one hand, Crombies steak pie or Subway meatball sandwich in the other, wazing lyrical about how the Hibernian midfield could do with an Ed De Graaf type :greengrinLoving that mental picture! :greengrin But steady with the subway meatball...i found out recently this is the most calorific fast food item by size bar none...over 1000 calories for the footlong sub. Also known as The Grande Nade©.

Hermit Crab
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Right enough, you were there with me. Did we have a few refreshments before the game????????????? :greengrin

I think there might have been a few ales had before the match. Yes :drunk:

HibsMax
06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
What type of grub are people expecting at a f****** fitba match? Everytime i've tried something its been spot on. Prices are expensive but foods alright.

food that is consistently edible. sounds like that is not the case and that you're one of the lucky one. :)

erin go bragh
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM

The pars steak bridies are the best ive tasted and there is some eating in them too which is an added bonus . [ must admit ,when in the 1875 suite in the west , had a couple of free steak pies , and they were not the same ones you get in the east , very nice indeed , but free always tastes better :greengrin

GGTTH]

Northernhibee
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Our pies are absolutely horrific at worst, poor at best. Pastry is either soggy or rock solid, meat content is laughable and generally **** quality meat too.

I'm not expecting michelin star dining, but something tasty and of reasonable quality is surely to be expected.

basehibby
07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
The food at ER is generally of not great quality and, more than anything, vastly overpriced IMO. It's an area that really needs looking at - I like to eat as much anyone but the prices we're being charged are a rip off and consequently I don't buy as much as I might and to me that means the club may be missing out on MORE revenue while I'm enjoying LESS scran! Everyones a loser!

From what I understand the catering's done on a year by year contract by outside bidders - is that the right way to do things? Possibly the most cost effective but surely we deserve better than the current pish! One way or another it needs to be sorted out :agree:

Newhaven
07-10-2011, 01:42 AM
£6.10 for a cheeseburger meal! I'm out.

greenlex
07-10-2011, 03:46 AM
I dont buy it cos its expensive. Thats my choice. What we have to remember regarding pricing is that the food us served in a very small window of about two hours. Within that window there are two busy periods in just before kick off and at half time. The amou t if staff to service those times need payed and will contribute to the cost directly.

Beefster
07-10-2011, 06:48 AM
I dont buy it cos its expensive. Thats my choice. What we have to remember regarding pricing is that the food us served in a very small window of about two hours. Within that window there are two busy periods in just before kick off and at half time. The amou t if staff to service those times need payed and will contribute to the cost directly.

I'm not sure I get your point. Every retailer has staffing costs, whether they are employing them for 4 hours or a full day.

There's nothing to justify the prices they charge, especially when you look at the 'quality' of the products, other than it being a captive audience.

TheEastTerrace
07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
£6.10 for a cheeseburger meal! I'm out.

:shocked::faint:

Albion Hibs
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
We are talking about ******* pies here. Whilst Alan Ruff may be a reasonable judge of such things, who really cares.

Personally I only ever eat from Easter Road in two situations 1) If I am absolutley ravenous, or 2) massively hung over. In either situation I would not expect to be overly delighted with the product, lets be honest it is stuff that it heated up and sold as and when someone walks up, what we expect for that I dont know. My only stiplution is that those serving give their hands a wash from time to time!

heretoday
07-10-2011, 01:58 PM
There used to be a chip shop under the west terrace at Selhurst Park, Palace's ground. Open one hour before the match. Good nosh too.

The Green Goblin
07-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Without wanting to bang on about the fifers at EEP recently for the 2-2 game i was delighted with the quality of the stovies and the bridies, excellent.

£1:50 for the stovies iirc, tremendous value.

Poor quality pies at ER imo, overpriced and filled with molten lava.

STOVIES??! OMG....imagine a big hot steaming vat of stovies....2 sizes/prices of punnet (small and large)...and a wee plastic fork to eat them. We could throw away a 5 goal lead and I would still be happy. :greengrin

GG

hughio
07-10-2011, 03:42 PM
This is an old chestnut of a thread.

Obviously the food on offer is rubbish.Anyone who disagrees is daft/uneducated/malnourished.Think Killie pie for one thing.

It is also vastly overpiced.

The catering contract is given to the highest bidder who esxploit all of us by overpricing and providing a crap service.They also exploit the spotty schoolkids they use.

The responsibility for making things better is with the Board.They are upstairs eating proper food and don't really give a damn

I have written to them (politely) and at length suggesting alternatives.

I did not even get the courtesy of a response.

I then phoned to suggest someone might at least acknowledge the letter.
i was promised the Commmunicatons Director would call.

Still waiting.

To hell with them.I will never buy any food there again.

Are you listening Scott Lindsay? It was before your time but a little imagination in this area would provide some money for the ever-depleting coffers.

:rolleyes:

greenlex
07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure I get your point. Every retailer has staffing costs, whether they are employing them for 4 hours or a full day.There's nothing to justify the prices they charge, especially when you look at the 'quality' of the products, other than it being a captive audience. The point I am trying to make, albeit badly, is that staffing costs in respect to turnover will be greater than say Greggs for instance. 8 people per kiosk only actually productive for about an hour and probably paid for arguements sake 4 hours. They dont earn their corn for the other 3 so their cost for those three hours is offset against 1 hours of sales captive or not.No excuse for quality however Having read that back I might still be making a pigsear of explaining what I mean. :greengrinStill hugely overpriced though.

Gettin' Auld
07-10-2011, 03:48 PM
They eat pies in the west stand? :shocked:
Obviously not, that'll be why someome launched it! :greengrin

N.Wales Hibby
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Why not scrap the football and have the Scottish Pie League where the teams are made up of caterers who run around the pitch selling there wares. The top stars of the teams would be the cordon bleu piemakers who would serve up a mouthwatering display and thrill us with there skill. We would have our average piemakers who some weeks are good and other weeks are rubbish. The subs are made up of young guys learning there trade, the piemakers of the future. . Imagine the songs. Who ate all the pies...Bye , Bye American pie. Your rotton pie making barstewards. Steakbakes on leith and many more. The result would be based on who's pies where the best.............Sorry..........:taxi

LancashireHibby
07-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Why not scrap the football and have the Scottish Pie League where the teams are made up of caterers who run around the pitch selling there wares. The top stars of the teams would be the cordon bleu piemakers who would serve up a mouthwatering display and thrill us with there skill. We would have our average piemakers who some weeks are good and other weeks are rubbish. The subs are made up of young guys learning there trade, the piemakers of the future. . Imagine the songs. Who ate all the pies...Bye , Bye American pie. Your rotton pie making barstewards. Steakbakes on leith and many more. The result would be based on who's pies where the best.............Sorry..........:taxi

Would the Hearts pies just be a low calorie version of the Rangers pies?

Sumner
07-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Only if I was Hank Marvin would I buy an ER pie again.
Hard outer, yet undercooked grey meat-flavoured solids inside
for the 'bargain' £2+ aye get tae ....

For the price of couple of pies, can go after the game to Ferry Road
and get a great fish supper, no brainer.

Another ER PR muck-up. Get Crombies in as stated before.

down-the-slope
07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I will quite simply not pay £2.20 for a pie. Absolute no chance, Id rather fill my face with munchies from Greggs before entering the stadium.

I fill my face with Greggs IN the stadium...pastry (or 2 :wink:) HOT BLACK coffee...and an iced donught.....Yum Yum.....

I long for Greggs to bid for the contract.....

fatbloke
07-10-2011, 10:01 PM
TBH - I would rather Hibs did all fans a service and stop the catering. It is a bigger pi55 take than what we have been served up on the pitch since CIS victory in 2007. Absolutely disgusting and so over priced i have refused to purchase for many years. Someone said earlier what do we expect at the football. Well my friend I expect at the football what I expect elsewhere - reasonably good service, reasonable prices and reasonable food. If not then my pennies stay in the pocket and I will take my own food in as usual. I hate to criticise anything to do with the club but if the board think the catering is acceptable then they obviously do not give a 5hit about the fans.

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
If I take the kids to the football then they get their lunch before the game and their tea afterwards. If I'm out on a bevvy, I get my breakfast before the game and a takeaway when I get home. No need for food at the game. :greengrin

JennaFletcher
07-10-2011, 11:40 PM
The young untrained staff are another way of them saving money because the minimum wage for U18s and U16s is lower than that for those over 18... :tsk tsk:

LancashireHibby
07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
The young untrained staff are another way of them saving money because the minimum wage for U18s and U16s is lower than that for those over 18... :tsk tsk:

And that isn't something that can happen down here by the way (and presumably at Murrayfield?) because of the kiosks serving alcohol.

Albion Hibs
07-10-2011, 11:56 PM

So, would you rather they were employing 19 year old silver service wonder kids? I dont care if they make profit on what they serve up, it is like any business they offer a service and take a profit on something, if folk are not interested dont buy. But I would rather they took the profit from employing youngsters (giving them a job), the profit from the so called over-pricing and invested it in the team or the running of the club.

Anyone that is expecting some gourmet effort served up by some kid with marbles in their mouth, either wants to get real, I dont even think you get that at the cricket.

fatbloke
08-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Anyone that is expecting some gourmet effort served up by some kid with marbles in their mouth, either wants to get real, I dont even think you get that at the cricket.

No just value for money same as anywhere else.

s.a.m
08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
TBH - I would rather Hibs did all fans a service and stop the catering. It is a bigger pi55 take than what we have been served up on the pitch since CIS victory in 2007. Absolutely disgusting and so over priced i have refused to purchase for many years. Someone said earlier what do we expect at the football. Well my friend I expect at the football what I expect elsewhere - reasonably good service, reasonable prices and reasonable food. If not then my pennies stay in the pocket and I will take my own food in as usual. I hate to criticise anything to do with the club but if the board think the catering is acceptable then they obviously do not give a 5hit about the fans.

Pretty much agree with that. Without wanting to sound melodramatic: it's not the food itself, but what it says about the club's attitude to supporters (and I'm not an anti-Board ranter). It's insulting. As others have said, if they had to exist on the open-market, they would close down within weeks. I've been at matches abroad where they've provided decent food, and at grounds that do it better in Scotland (like Killie and Dunfermline), and my one and only rugby match at Murrayfield (where they have independent stalls / vans), and it doesn't seem to be impossible to provide an acceptable product. Why can't we do it?

Steve-O
08-10-2011, 07:09 AM
I think you've all forgotten that the club simply do not give a flying one about the 'matchday experience'.

Pre-match 'entertainment' - players stretching and punting shots high into the stands accompanied by pish music and some babbling on the PA that you can't really make out.

The match - er, mainly pish.

Food - absolute gash, too expensive, supplied by 12 year old jakeys who can forget about a career in hospitality.

Half time - see 'pre-match entertainment' above, plus the occasional rubbish competition, usually trying to boot a ball into an empty net to win 100 quid or something.

Full time - some more gash music to walk out of the ground to.

About 25 quid for all of the above - BARGAIN! :taxi

Beefster
08-10-2011, 07:51 AM
So, would you rather they were employing 19 year old silver service wonder kids? I dont care if they make profit on what they serve up, it is like any business they offer a service and take a profit on something, if folk are not interested dont buy. But I would rather they took the profit from employing youngsters (giving them a job), the profit from the so called over-pricing and invested it in the team or the running of the club.

The size of the profit made by the caterer is irrelevant to the amount the club receives.

You may not expect edible food but some of us are a little bit more fussy than you and refuse to shell out £15 so that our kids can eat ***** we wouldn't feed them elsewhere. What does it say about Hibs attempts to attract families along when they can't even give them an adequate snack?

Beefster
08-10-2011, 07:53 AM
I think you've all forgotten that the club simply do not give a flying one about the 'matchday experience'.

Pre-match 'entertainment' - players stretching and punting shots high into the stands accompanied by pish music and some babbling on the PA that you can't really make out.

Food - absolute gash, too expensive, supplied by 12 year old jakeys who can forget about a career in hospitality.

Half time - see 'pre-match entertainment' above, plus the occasional rubbish competition, usually trying to boot a ball into an empty net to win 100 quid or something.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, Steve-O. I used to bang on about the complete lack of effort put into the 'match-day experience' all the time.

Steve-O
08-10-2011, 08:16 AM
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, Steve-O. I used to bang on about the complete lack of effort put into the 'match-day experience' all the time.

It should be how it was for the Dnipro game, for example, EVERY time! :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
08-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Here is one to chew over for y'all. The caterers will have submitted their bid based on the assumption of X numbers attending the games. With that number decreasing they will have to put their prices up to compensate and make sure the old P&Ls look good. :devil:

As an aside, personally I rarely eat anything there, preferring a bit of wholesome food (whatever the heck that is) but I do like my Bovril. An idea I have had for years but never done anything about is to open a stovie shop, selling the various varieties, with maybe a portable stall (like the Yanks hot dog stalls) outside the clubs at night. I love stovies I have to be honest, but one of the biggest arguments we always had at sea was which stovies were the right stovies!!! For me, square sausage are the best, closely followed by corned beef.

As an aside, which company has the stalls? Not Azure is it?

Iain G
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Sounds like you are getting yourself in the mood for the Nix kicking off next week and the "quality" catering we get at the Westpac... :greengrin

Hermit Crab
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
If the fans stopped buying the pies burgers etc the club would surely take notice and try to improve the services?? A sort of food boycott at the Motherwell game :wink::greengrin

Winston Ingram
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
The Steak Pies are wonderful. They were probably the only entertainment available at ER last season:agree:

The beer on the other hand :jamboak:

Albion Hibs
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
The size of the profit made by the caterer is irrelevant to the amount the club receives.

You may not expect edible food but some of us are a little bit more fussy than you and refuse to shell out £15 so that our kids can eat ***** we wouldn't feed them elsewhere. What does it say about Hibs attempts to attract families along when they can't even give them an adequate snack?

The size of the profit is not irrelevant. I would assume the caterers pay Hibs a rent to use the facility. But like any retail type unit the rent will be calculated on the amount of revenue the facility is able to generate over the period of the lease they are given. i.e. the higher the prices/turnover the more rent hibs will be able to charge - alas my point would you rather have a better team or be made to feel warmer and nicer at HT when you decide to tuck into a pie.

The food is more than edible, my point is this is another .net thread about wanting hibs to give the fans something for nothing/or in this case vastly improved quality at a reduced price....lets be honest, I wish a lot more things in the world were a lot better for a lot cheaper before I would start thinking about the pies at easter road!

Well feed them elsewhere so you dont need to feed them at the game. It says it is not a restuartant, if you want a snack there is a variety of things you can have. If not have an extra apple before and then get yourself and the kids to Rhubarb on the way back down the road.

Jones28
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Don't actually buy the food, not cos of the quality, just because it's so expensive! Will have the occasional Bovril on a cold January Wednesday in a all-or-nothing, do-or-die top of the table clash with St Mirren

Jones28
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
The Steak Pies are wonderful. They were probably the only entertainment available at ER last season:agree:

The beer on the other hand :jamboak:

Thank christ BTG have upped their standards and have started selling Crabbies! :aok:

Beefster
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
The size of the profit is not irrelevant. I would assume the caterers pay Hibs a rent to use the facility. But like any retail type unit the rent will be calculated on the amount of revenue the facility is able to generate over the period of the lease they are given. i.e. the higher the prices/turnover the more rent hibs will be able to charge - alas my point would you rather have a better team or be made to feel warmer and nicer at HT when you decide to tuck into a pie.

The food is more than edible, my point is this is another .net thread about wanting hibs to give the fans something for nothing/or in this case vastly improved quality at a reduced price....lets be honest, I wish a lot more things in the world were a lot better for a lot cheaper before I would start thinking about the pies at easter road!

Well feed them elsewhere so you dont need to feed them at the game. It says it is not a restuartant, if you want a snack there is a variety of things you can have. If not have an extra apple before and then get yourself and the kids to Rhubarb on the way back down the road.

You are confusing revenue with profit and I can't be bothered getting into a retail strategy debate so I'm going to ignore that bit. Part of the problem may be that folk think that offering over-priced product to an ever dwindling customer base (I mean, fewer folk buying the food as opposed to attendences) is the way to maximise revenue.

This isn't a forum about 'a lot more things in the world', this is a forum about Hibs. No-one is asking for 'something for nothing'. Folk are, justifiably, saying that the products sold are not value for money and that they should either be cheaper or better quality.

I do feed them elsewhere but thanks for all the handy parenting advice. It's always good to get some pointers from an expert. Although you evidently don't get it, the food on offer is part of the 'matchday experience'. If Hibs really want to tempt families, they need to offer facilities, food and entertainment on a par with competing attractions. The facilities cut the mustard - nothing else does.

Steve-O
09-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Sounds like you are getting yourself in the mood for the Nix kicking off next week and the "quality" catering we get at the Westpac... :greengrin

The pies are no bad, because they are those pre-packaged ones you get over here. Saying that, the chips and burgers at the stadium are rancid. Fish and chips is passable and a last resort that I sometimes get if I've had nothing to eat.

And, can get beer there too...ER can't beat that! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2011, 09:48 AM
TBH on the rare occasions that we buy pies at the match I have never found them to be as bad as described by some on here, maybe that's because they meet my expectations of a pie at a football match! They are expensive in comparison to what you can buy outside but it's always the case with a captive audience just look at motorway service stations. My only real gripe is why they don't sell chips in the West Upper but they do in the lower.

TheEastTerrace
09-10-2011, 10:08 AM
A revelation in the food industry would be a ruling enforcing manufacturers or caterers to reveal the cost price of ingredients for producing food stuffs, but that's a different argument for another day. However, we'd truly see how much we're being ripped off in this country.

Don't like the food? Don't buy it. They'll soon sit up and take notice.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
A revelation in the food industry would be a ruling enforcing manufacturers or caterers to reveal the cost price of ingredients for producing food stuffs, but that's a different argument for another day. However, we'd truly see how much we're being ripped off in this country.

Don't like the food? Don't buy it. They'll soon sit up and take notice.

Every manufacturing industry is the same!

Sean1875
09-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I dont really see why age should matter though. For a combined total of around 40 minutes i would expect even a 13 year old to smile, turn a full 180 degrees to fetch a pie and occasionally push a big red button to get some hot water out.

iwasthere1972
09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
We should have a facility whereby we can phone in our order while watching the first half and be able to collect it during the interval.

Simples.

weecounty hibby
09-10-2011, 01:28 PM
The standard of food on sale at football matches hasn't realy improved in real terms since the 70s. It was crap back then and is still crap, just much more overpriced nowadays. I got food poisoning at the Hibs v Meadowbank cup game that was played at Tynecastle back in the early 80s and am amazed that there is not more stories of food poisoning when you see the standard of caterers at ER.

Sudds_1
09-10-2011, 02:25 PM
TBH on the rare occasions that we buy pies at the match I have never found them to be as bad as described by some on here, maybe that's because they meet my expectations of a pie at a football match! They are expensive in comparison to what you can buy outside but it's always the case with a captive audience just look at motorway service stations. My only real gripe is why they don't sell chips in the West Upper but they do in the lower.

No real demand, what with all that caviar, cress and cucumber,,,,,:greengrin

Northernhibee
09-10-2011, 02:40 PM
There's so many cheap and tasty things they could do that'd be better than the slop they serve.

Stovies is one, scotch broth the other, proper bridies or sausage rolls, decent pies - I'd imagine you'd sell more if they were tasty. I know I get myself two pies if I'm at Killie.

tamig
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM
The standard of food on sale at football matches hasn't realy improved in real terms since the 70s. It was crap back then and is still crap, just much more overpriced nowadays. I got food poisoning at the Hibs v Meadowbank cup game that was played at Tynecastle back in the early 80s and am amazed that there is not more stories of food poisoning when you see the standard of caterers at ER.

My son has spewed up twice after having ER hotdogs. Needless to say he doesn't get them now.

Dashing Bob S
09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I agree that the food is both disgusting and overpriced, and is actually one of the reasons why I don't like bringing children to Easter Road, as they ask for that rubbish, and on what is supposed to fun day out, you are cast in the role of pompous bad guy if you refuse.

While other public entertainment arenas, multiplex cinemas for example, also serve up overpriced garbage, I feel that sporting organizations have a bigger responsibility to the community and should be promoting good eating amongst children.

It seems to escaped the attention of football clubs that there has been a slow revolution in food in Britain over the last fifteen years, which is gathering pace to the extent that the crud they sell at ER will shortly, and correctly, no longer be regarded as food.

Wouldn't it be nice if Hibs could be innovators on this issue, instead of just following the same shabby template that every other club, with a few notable exceptions, also goes along with? Yes, costs might increase, but parents who want their kids to eat properly may be more inclined to bring them along if there are some decent nutritional and easy options available. There are several good local suppliers of quality snack food in Edinburgh. I'd like to see the club be more proactive and explore some of those options, rather than buying from the same ugly mass catering outlet on some plagued industrial estate in central Scotland which should be carpet-bombed for crimes against humanity.

A kid should not repeatedly be physically sick by eating a 'hot dog'. We can make light of this, but what's really happening here is that a young lad is being poisoned by the club on a day out. If somebody else was poisoning a child, we'd be asking questions. We shouldn't be putting up with it here. Ultimately though, we get what we put up with, and we really shouldn't be putting up with this nonsense.

basehibby
09-10-2011, 05:23 PM
There's so many cheap and tasty things they could do that'd be better than the slop they serve.

Stovies is one, scotch broth the other, proper bridies or sausage rolls, decent pies - I'd imagine you'd sell more if they were tasty. I know I get myself two pies if I'm at Killie.

:agree: I do feel insulted by the vastly overpriced drivel on offer at ER and as a result, I don't buy nearly as much food as I'd like to, sometimes going hungry rather than paying OTT prices for what is very often poor quality fare. I would urge the board to dismiss the current purveyors as soon as is contractually possible and make reasonable pricing a core requirement for any future caterer. Some imagination should also be shown in regard to the menu items on offer - would love to see stovies on offer for example.

Northernhibee
09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
:agree: I do feel insulted by the vastly overpriced drivel on offer at ER and as a result, I don't buy nearly as much food as I'd like to, sometimes going hungry rather than paying OTT prices for what is very often poor quality fare. I would urge the board to dismiss the current purveyors as soon as is contractually possible and make reasonable pricing a core requirement for any future caterer. Some imagination should also be shown in regard to the menu items on offer - would love to see stovies on offer for example.

Thing is, making decent stuff even on a mass scale is potentially cheap and easy, and something that other clubs (i.e. Killie with their quality pies) have started to make themself famous for!

Making a pot of chicken and veg soup just now - simmered the carcass from a chicken for a few hours with some salt and some onions, that's the stock, added some potatoes, carrots, barley, mushrooms, leeks - cheap to make, difficult to ruin, can be mass produced, and let's face it - come December and January, how good would some decent soup be at half time (especially if they got really frisky and added a bread roll to the deal)?

I'd be willing to pay the two pounds odd we currently pay for awful pies for a cup of soup or stovies (and bannocks would be good with them), and I'm not sure that the difference in the margin would be that monumental.

hibsmum
09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Those kids are not doing just 40 minutes work, they have to be there 2 hrs before kick and are still there after the match has finished. I know my daughter works there. She has come back and told me about shutters having to be closed due to something kicking off, verbally abused by so called customers. Yes it is a minimum wage and for what they have to put up with they should be paid double. I have been to games where I've witnessed this myself. So I think people should get off the staffs backs, complain about the food to the outside company.

hibsbollah
09-10-2011, 07:35 PM
The health issue is an important one. I know someone within the club has raised this issue at director level and was told that 'no-one would buy healthier food'. Bearing in mind the hibernian community foundation, like other SPL sides, is currently running fit fans programmes, it seems ridiculous that the options are limited to defrosted and reheated poor quality chips, hot dogs, pizza etc for when these fans and their children actually enter the stadium on match days.

Northernhibee
09-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Those kids are not doing just 40 minutes work, they have to be there 2 hrs before kick and are still there after the match has finished. I know my daughter works there. She has come back and told me about shutters having to be closed due to something kicking off, verbally abused by so called customers. Yes it is a minimum wage and for what they have to put up with they should be paid double. I have been to games where I've witnessed this myself. So I think people should get off the staffs backs, complain about the food to the outside company.

I've certainly not had any bother with the staff at ER, so no complaining about that at all :aok:

SaudiHibby
09-10-2011, 08:13 PM
If the catering is to be contracted out ( I would advocate that in a club the size of ours it shouldn't be) then the negotiation is a simple one. You get the higher priced hospitality but you must offer a predefined menu offer at fixed for a season prices and expect to lose money on it which will be made up in hospitality. Someone got it spot on earlier with a preorder system. Easy to set up and easier to manage. I have been responsible for nearly every major stadium in the UK and I have always felt that the catering at ER is way below the norm (retail wise).

Stadium owners now discuss footprint, as in the entire radius of the walk up and walk out and try and own it as it is parasitical left to individuals.

It's an industry like any other and has it's stars and villains. I would take it in house, employ the right people and keep the fans happy.

Northernhibee
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
The health issue is an important one. I know someone within the club has raised this issue at director level and was told that 'no-one would buy healthier food'. Bearing in mind the hibernian community foundation, like other SPL sides, is currently running fit fans programmes, it seems ridiculous that the options are limited to defrosted and reheated poor quality chips, hot dogs, pizza etc for when these fans and their children actually enter the stadium on match days.

I think the big problem when it comes to pushes on healthy eating, they typically make salads and stuff that fall into what most people think of when it comes to healthy eating.

Why not try out healthier made versions of stuff that'd sell? Stovies aren't hugely healthy, but contain veg, especially if you throw in some onion and that. Soup can be big, hearty stuff but can be full of veg and pretty healthy.

Things just need a slight change to work.

iwasthere1972
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
£1.80 for a plastic cup, tea bag, milk and some boiling water. These four things together can't cost anymore than about 10p-15p.

Absolute rip off.

BroxburnHibee
09-10-2011, 09:00 PM
£1.80 for a plastic cup, tea bag, milk and some boiling water. These three things together can't cost anymore than about 10p-15p.

Absolute rip off.

Thats 4 things :greengrin

And the electricity to boil the water.
And the stirrer.
And the sugar
And the lid.
And the wages of the person serving it.

Rip off right enough.

iwasthere1972
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM

And the stirrer.
And the sugar
And the lid.

Rip off right enough.

:agree: I originally forgot to include the wee milk carton.

:aok:

Lofarl
09-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I never get a stirrer and I'm sure the water ain't even boiled. It is a rip off what ever way you look at it. God for £1.80 they could Irish it up a bit.

IWasThere2016
10-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Over priced and rubbish

All that needs saying :agree:

steakbake
10-10-2011, 04:12 AM
The most expensive matchday experience in the SPL also includes the worst food. You don't have to eat it though and a person could just about survive 90mins without wedging something into the face. The kiosks are about making the most amount of money possible from the least amount of outlay. Profit for both the catering company and the club is the only consideration.

SaudiHibby
10-10-2011, 02:31 PM
The average spends in the SPL are between 65p and 1.05 depending on the stadium. With average crowds just now of less than 10k I suggest that the turnover is circa 7,000 UK Pounds per match. Wastage factors are high in retail catering and staff are employed on a set up, work and breakdown basis (over three days) with the bulk coming from agencies on match day. If they are making 700 quid they are managing it very well. Hardly worth the effort unless you have the more lucrative Hospitality contract and non match day income which Azure do.

iwasthere1972
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
The average spends in the SPL are between 65p and 1.05 depending on the stadium. With average crowds just now of less than 10k I suggest that the turnover is circa 7,000 UK Pounds per match. Wastage factors are high in retail catering and staff are employed on a set up, work and breakdown basis (over three days) with the bulk coming from agencies on match day. If they are making 700 quid they are managing it very well. Hardly worth the effort unless you have the more lucrative Hospitality contract and non match day income which Azure do.

I would be very surprised if there is much wastage at Easter Road when you consider that half the time they run out pies etc.

SaudiHibby
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I would be very surprised if there is much wastage at Easter Road when you consider that half the time they run out pies etc.

A common sign of poor management. They should keep match by match profiles of crowd sizes, products sol, customer comments etc. Poor managers will record, say, 200 pies sold in a particular unit and the next time a similar crowd profile comes up they put 200 pies in not taking into account that they ran out the first time. I don't attend much but it sounds a mess.

connerg
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Think the Cyprus sun has went to your head ma' man! Do you get mince pies out there? What food do you get at the games?

down the slope
10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Can you imagine it if Gordon Ramsey was to make a programme about the ER catering ?, he would run out of swear words after ten seconds !. I must admit i have not bought food at ER for years but i see the kids coming back to their seats at half time with i what i think are pizzas but they are nothing that any Italian would recognize !. It would appear that any old merde will do for the fans and i don't expect there is a vast difference accross the land but you would think that whoever is in charge of catering would take a tumble to themselves and try to be a bit different and offer something edible , by the way do you think the directors eat the same **** ?.

LancashireHibby
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Most (professional) grounds down here only serve pies, burgers and hot dogs - the first time I mentioned that not only could you buy chips at ER but also pizza, nobody would believe me, so I suppose that's a plus point on this topic! :greengrin

Simon70
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
If the fans stopped buying the pies burgers etc the club would surely take notice and try to improve the services?? A sort of food boycott at the Motherwell game :wink::greengrin

Well said that man. Time to take some direct action.

The best food of a poor lot is the pizza slice which, for reasons best known to Hibs, is unavailable in the West Upper.

Incidentally, add up the the so called food "deals" and you'll find that it's no cheaper than buying the over-priced crap separately.

Simon70
10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
IIRC, the last time people complained to Hibs about the catering, Hibs replied saying it was nothing to do with them and provided contact details for the contractor. That is a pathetic cop-out as far as I am concerned - time for Hibs to replace the contractor if they are not deliver the goods.

The Pontius Pilate act won't work forever.

Beefster
11-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Most (professional) grounds down here only serve pies, burgers and hot dogs - the first time I mentioned that not only could you buy chips at ER but also pizza, nobody would believe me, so I suppose that's a plus point on this topic! :greengrin

Every time that I've been at a Premiership game, the food has been much more varied (and better quality) than Easter Road. I can't remember exactly who sells what but Man City definitely does chips and the Emirates does pizza, chips and much much more.

LancashireHibby
11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Every time that I've been at a Premiership game, the food has been much more varied (and better quality) than Easter Road. I can't remember exactly who sells what but Man City definitely does chips and the Emirates does pizza, chips and much much more.

Never been to the Emirates and I'm usually too pished to remember at Citeh, apologies :wink:

Certainly no different at Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn anyway.

SaudiHibby
11-10-2011, 02:18 PM
The newer stadiums are better as they generally have some Caterers in-put :wink: in advance therefore have the right amount of power for the right equipment. Add to that bigger crowds down south and beer sales and you have an opportunity to make money. Clubs like ours have to start understanding that it is part of the match day experience and supplements the ticket price i.e. adds value. There is absolutely no reason why proper quality food cannot be served, its a mindset and an investment issue.

tamig
12-10-2011, 06:22 AM

And the stirrer.
And the sugar
And the lid.

Rip off right enough.

It's now £2 for a hot drink at ER. There is no milk carton required as it's already white when they add the water to the bag. It's dearer than Starbucks ffs. It's a TOTAL rip-off. No excuses whtsoever. :rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
12-10-2011, 08:23 AM
My team in The Hague sell hotdogs and various other goodies its not brilliant quality but its very do-able,and alot better than the keek at ER, they also sell alcohol, (this, from a club, that in the past has had the worst hooligans in Holland). Pre-match entertainment in the form of dancing pom pom girls, former players recieving awards, kickass build up of bouncing music, exploding confetti (the fans let them off) massive FULL family area for the kids and kids fitba clubs, with entertainment for the kids outside the stadium, even the visiting fans appreciate what the club is doing, Hibs/Scottish fitba could really learn alot from clubs like ADO.

On a side note, why IF the stadium is not selling out, why does the club not close parts of the stands and push folk to sit closer together and make an atmosphere.

Joe Baker II
12-10-2011, 08:24 AM
As posters have said mindset of club is yet again the problem (not just regarding food). It was raised at a forum in 2007 and O'Hagans response (in tone with him rejecting doing anything remotely radical the whole evening) to the lady who highlighted poor quality of catering was of the nature "do you come to the football to eat" - no wonder crowds are falling if Tom Farmer thinks men like O'Hagan are appropriate to hold senior positions.

The real indictment of Hibs is that every junior and non-league ground in Scotland I have visted in last 2 years provides far superior value for money despite less resources.

Steve-O
12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
As posters have said mindset of club is yet again the problem (not just regarding food). It was raised at a forum in 2007 and O'Hagans response (in tone with him rejecting doing anything remotely radical the whole evening) to the lady who highlighted poor quality of catering was of the nature "do you come to the football to eat" - no wonder crowds are falling if Tom Farmer thinks men like O'Hagan are appropriate to hold senior positions.

The real indictment of Hibs is that every junior and non-league ground in Scotland I have visted in last 2 years provides far superior value for money despite less resources.

Exactly - the club don't really give a monkey's about the fans, until they stop turning up in droves, but even then all they do is put out some media release urging us all to 'stick together' and all the rest of it, without actually making any improvements!

iwasthere1972
12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It's now £2 for a hot drink at ER. There is no milk carton required as it's already white when they add the water to the bag. It's dearer than Starbucks ffs. It's a TOTAL rip-off. No excuses whtsoever. :rolleyes:

I would rather run the risk of dehydrating than give them £2 for that muck they call tea.

hibsbollah
12-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I would rather run the risk of dehydrating than give them £2 for that muck they call tea.

Isnt tea (a diuretic) going to make dehydration more likely? :greengrin :nerd:
Agree though, it is really manky stuff.

Joe Baker II
13-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Exactly - the club don't really give a monkey's about the fans, until they stop turning up in droves, but even then all they do is put out some media release urging us all to 'stick together' and all the rest of it, without actually making any improvements!

And is really irrelevant whether club make profit/loss on this - the figures are miniscule in relation overall turnover/payment of players etc and I doubt if the difference (whether positive or negative) would mkae much inroads into a reserve (or senior officals) salary - the general attittude of O'Hagan etc is the real cancer at Hibs.

And as long as even a few thousand people buy season tickets this mindset looks likely to continue as they have no incentive to improve things.

basehibby
13-10-2011, 04:03 PM
The most expensive matchday experience in the SPL also includes the worst food. You don't have to eat it though and a person could just about survive 90mins without wedging something into the face. The kiosks are about making the most amount of money possible from the least amount of outlay. Profit for both the catering company and the club is the only consideration.

Well - if the only consideration is exploitation of the fans (because that's what you are effectively saying) then it's an idiotically short sighted policy. The football on display hasn't exactly been enticing lately, and being literally ripped off for eating/drinking at the game is just another expensive reason to add to the list for NOT taking your kids (or indeed yourself) along to the game.

basehibby
13-10-2011, 04:07 PM

How much do they cost???

LancashireHibby
13-10-2011, 08:03 PM
How much do they cost???

Don't know about the burgers and hot dogs but I think the pies are marginally cheaper than those at ER.

vercol36
15-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I like the mince pies at ER. And the pizza tastes great.

Then again, what doesn't taste good after 5 pints and no breakfast....

Carheenlea
15-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Reading this thread has made me pretty hungry, so the first thing I`ll be doing when I get to ER today is to get myself a couple of pies and a bovril to wash it down with, and going by the almost universal condemnation of the fare on offer, there will be no queuing involved either!

matty_f
15-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Reading this thread has made me pretty hungry, so the first thing I`ll be doing when I get to ER today is to get myself a couple of pies and a bovril to wash it down with, and going by the almost universal condemnation of the fare on offer, there will be no queuing involved either!

You would think that, but I've found that you can wait a ridiculously long time to either be served or get given what you've ordered regardless of how few people are in the queue.

They have the bad service/poor product/massively overpriced combination down to a fine art. It's almost as if they're trying to get you to keep your money.:agree: