PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steve Jennings (Motherwell) Arrested For Match Fixing

Frazerbob
06-10-2011, 07:30 AM
SSN reporting that Steve Jennings of Motherwell has been arrested on match fixing charges involving a Motherwell v Hearts game last season.

Bayern Bru
06-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Hearing that Jennings has been arrested this morning over alleged betting irregularities.

Bayern Bru
06-10-2011, 07:36 AM
In light of current events, I think he should be given a two-match ban.

:agree:

Phil MaGlass
06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
In light of current events, I think he should be given a two-match ban.

:agree:

what are the odds for that:greengrin

H18sry
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Statement from the Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan: "The Scottish FA has received notification from the Gambling Commission that the Motherwell FC player, Steve Jennings, was arrested at his home today by Merseyside Police. This follows extensive enquiries in relation to alleged betting irregularities at a Scottish Premier League match between Motherwell and Hearts on December 14, 2010. "While the investigation involves several other individuals outwith Scotland, it is important to stress that the evidence gathered throughout this thorough period of investigation has involved only one Scottish match."Motherwell FC are aware of the situation and will issue a response in due course. The Scottish FA will make no further comment at this stage."

Golden Bear
06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Here is the Beeb report on the game. Looks like Mr Jennings certainly played an active part :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9283892.stm

Greentinted
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Here is the Beeb report on the game. Looks like Mr Jennings certainly played an active part :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9283892.stm

Noticed he was sent-off. Perhaps a flurry of wagers on this to happen? Just a thought.

Darth Hibbie
06-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Noticed he was sent-off. Perhaps a flurry of wagers on this to happen? Just a thought.

:agree: According to the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15196761

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Wonder if he was photographed receiving a brown envelope from a suspicious Russian businessman?:Romanov:

Beefster
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Could be difficult for him to prove that he wasn't trying to get sent off, given the stonewall penalty that never was and then him being sent off for foul language - both easily engineered situations. If he was at it, at least he didn't try to injure a player in order to get sent off.

Posh Swanny
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Was this all alledged/reported at the time of that match? I'm sure I remember reading interviews from Jennings about how much of a nightmare it had been for him becasue he was totally innocent but was smeared in the press. May have been someone else mind.

lapsedhibee
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Hearts should have the points taken off them this year. That's the minimum just outcome, irrespective of any findings.

Hibee87
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Was this all alledged/reported at the time of that match? I'm sure I remember reading interviews from Jennings about how much of a nightmare it had been for him becasue he was totally innocent but was smeared in the press. May have been someone else mind.

Now you mention it this rings a bell ....was there not a lot of money put on him to be sent of form the liverpool area and he was investigated at questioned then realsed with no further enquiry? Im guessing some new eveidence has come to light......and im also sure his brother/family memeber stayed in the meryside area at the time :confused:

Gettin' Auld
06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Could be difficult for him to prove that he wasn't trying to get sent off, given the stonewall penalty that never was and then him being sent off for foul language - both easily engineered situations. If he was at it, at least he didn't try to injure a player in order to get sent off.

Dunno if the guy was involved in anything shady or not, but he doesn't have to prove himself innocent. It's very difficult to prove a "negative" anyway, so the onus is on others to prove his guilt.

Posh Swanny
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Now you mention it this rings a bell ....was there not a lot of money put on him to be sent of form the liverpool area and he was investigated at questioned then realsed with no further enquiry? Im guessing some new eveidence has come to light......and im also sure his brother/family memeber stayed in the meryside area at the time :confused:

Found it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/8206563/Motherwell-back-midfielder-Steve-Jennings-as-bookmakers-investigate-his-red-card-against-Hearts.html

And you're right about the Liverpool connection.

PISTOL1875
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
In all fairness , its not very hard to fix a game of football is it ???

iwasthere1972
06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Hearts should have the points taken off them this year. That's the minimum just outcome, irrespective of any findings.

Plus any income they received from playing in the Europa League should be handed over to Dundee United who would have finished in third place.

CyberSauzee
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM

There was. Know of one firm that took quite a few quid on any Motherwell sending off.

LancashireHibby
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
This sort of thing is quite common amongst Scouse players who have gone to play elsewhere. Allegedly.

_hucks_
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I work in a bookies in Liverpool and that news has brought a cheer, his selfish actions affected a few people round here.

Derek Dougan
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Wayne Rooney's dad and uncle have also been arrested on an alleged betting scam. No idea if it involves Jennings, but all from Liverpool :hmmm:

Sir David Gray
06-10-2011, 11:54 AM
No idea if it's related at the moment but Sky News have just reported that Wayne Rooney's father has been arrested for involvement in an alleged betting scam. :dunno:

More to follow apparently.

PISTOL1875
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
No idea if it's related at the moment but Sky News have just reported that Wayne Rooney's father has been arrested for involvement in an alleged betting scam. :dunno:

Something fishy going on here............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2045988/Wayne-Rooneys-dad-arrested-match-fixing-probe-Motherwell-v-Hearts.html

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2011, 12:02 PM

[Knock, knock] evening mr Pistol would you mind accompanying us down to the station ?
;)

Killiehibbie
06-10-2011, 12:04 PM
First bets on new accounts. Certainly not the best of of keeping a low profile.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Is you thread from the Liverpool Echo ? ;)

frazeHFC
06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Again?

PISTOL1875
06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
[Knock, knock] evening mr Pistol would you mind accompanying us down to the station ?
;)

:na na::na na::na na:

Captain Trips
06-10-2011, 12:38 PM

I think it is, fixing a result would be difficult or even yourself to score however betting on bookings which I have done a lot is one element a player without anyone else on pitch being involved could easily acheive.

PISTOL1875
06-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I think it is, fixing a result would be difficult or even yourself to score however betting on bookings which I have done a lot is one element a player without anyone else on pitch being involved could easily acheive.

It is a lot easier than you think...

PatHead
06-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Wouldn't be that difficult to fix some aspects of the game. Remember a team (Spurs?) kicking the ball out from the kick off. Lot of bets on time of first throw in seemingly. Nothing could be proved though which may well happen in this case.

Bet you will now get rumours that Garry O had a bet on getting booked for diving. Any takers?

Sir David Gray
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Is you thread from the Liverpool Echo ? ;)

Sorry, maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand what you mean.

Could you explain it, please? :dunno:

PISTOL1875
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM

I don't understand that either....

lapsedhibee
06-10-2011, 01:53 PM
This sort of thing is quite common amongst Scouse players who have gone to play elsewhere. Allegedly.

And to think that people have alleged that our pish performances have been due to allegedly incompetent management rather than the alleged presence of VP in the alleged team!

khib70
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Rooney's dad and uncle have indeed been arrested in connection with the Steve Jennings case:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/06/manual_131359.html&BID=165

:worms:

LancashireHibby
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
And to think that people have alleged that our pish performances have been due to allegedly incompetent management rather than the alleged presence of VP in the alleged team!

I did mean those who are originally from Liverpool rather than Iceland, but you could be on to something there....! :wink:

BS44
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM

He got booked after ten minutes for a bad tackle on the half way line. Radio commentator said at the time he thought it was a strange tackle!

It is a lot easier than you think...

West Germany 1-0 Austria. 1978 or 1982 World Cup Finals.

There is probably plenty examples of dodgy games but these two played it out in front of the watching world.

YehButNoBut
06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Rooney's dad and uncle have indeed been arrested in connection with the Steve Jennings case:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/10/06/manual_131359.html&BID=165

:worms:

How Wayne will look in the near future. :greengrin

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55868000/jpg/_55868697_pa-8354959.jpg

Golden Bear
06-10-2011, 03:46 PM

So that's NOT him then?!

:greengrin

YehButNoBut
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
So that's NOT him then?!

:greengrin

Maybe, before the hair transplant :wink:

Beefster
06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Dunno if the guy was involved in anything shady or not, but he doesn't have to prove himself innocent. It's very difficult to prove a "negative" anyway, so the onus is on others to prove his guilt.

He'd probably be wise to try and refute the prosecution's case if it goes to court. I can't see the charges being difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt considering his behaviour during the game and assuming there are concrete links between him and those piling on the bets.

Gettin' Auld
06-10-2011, 05:28 PM

That's how he looks NOW.......Well it was until he got his roof re-thatched.......

Iggy Pope
07-10-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't understand that either....

Could it be a tongue in cheek observation from Viva Palmerias that FalkirkHibees post #22 say, 'echoes' Derek Dougan's post #21....?