PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Harper

Skanko79
06-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Anyone know what he is up to these days?

What a cracking player he was on his day....

Gala Foxes
06-10-2011, 04:59 AM
He was in an article in Scotland On Sunday a couple of years ago talking about a "Cruise" type clothes shop he had opened in Glasgow with one of his mates. Think he was still playing at Dunfermline at that time. Not sure if an upmarket designer label new-start retail venture like that will have survived the recession but hopefully it will.

hibs0666
06-10-2011, 07:05 AM
http://www.forbesandharper.co.uk/

Auckland Hibs
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Great player IMO - remember the 2-1 derby game at ER when he came on as a sub and ripped the Yams a new one.

:flag:

Wheat Hound
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Some great derby memories of Kevin. In no particular order:

1. 2-1 new years derby at ER and THAT volley from the edge of the box which flew past big Pussy in the hertz goal. One of the best goals I've ever seen at ER.

2. 2-1 game in 97-98 where he slalomed through a good few yams before placing thr ball in the bottom corner going down the slope. Not enough to ultimately save us but it certainly dented the hertz league challenge.

3. 2-2 at tynie at new year. Ok, it kept Duffy in a job, but a rousing second half comeback inspired by Kevs running down the wing and crosses for both goals that averted a 0-7 revenge.

4. 3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.

5. A super sub in the Geebsie game at tynie. Every Hibee that day is a legend. My birthday too!!

heretoday
06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
The 2-1 game was his finest hour. Same with Lavety. Neither were great players but both had a lot of spirit.

Stevie Reid
06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Some great derby memories of Kevin. In no particular order:

1. 2-1 new years derby at ER and THAT volley from the edge of the box which flew past big Pussy in the hertz goal. One of the best goals I've ever seen at ER.

2. 2-1 game in 97-98 where he slalomed through a good few yams before placing thr ball in the bottom corner going down the slope. Not enough to ultimately save us but it certainly dented the hertz league challenge.

3. 2-2 at tynie at new year. Ok, it kept Duffy in a job, but a rousing second half comeback inspired by Kevs running down the wing and crosses for both goals that averted a 0-7 revenge.

4. 3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.

5. A super sub in the Geebsie game at tynie. Every Hibee that day is a legend. My birthday too!!

I'm pretty sure that Harper did nothing that day other than win us the corner from which GH scored - don't get me wrong, ultimately that was more than enough of a contribution, it's just big things were expected of him and he was quiet. Came off before the corner was taken IIRC.

All great memories :aok:

2belhaven
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I see he has got Kenny Miller to model his clothes and i think the other one is Kris Boyd > but i could be wrong ?

Anyone confirm ?

HibbyAndy
06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Making his debut at Easter rd in a 5-0 win against Dundee utd and ripping Gordan Petric a new hole time after time.

ginger_rice
06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
That Kevin Harper Michael O'Neil goal :top marks

one of the best I've ever seen at easter road.

connerg
06-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I see he has got Kenny Miller to model his clothes and i think the other one is Kris Boyd > but i could be wrong ?

Anyone confirm ?

Yes, that's Miller and Boyd alright, a few years ago mind!

AlbertK86
06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Harper was a fantastic player. Great hat trick for under 21s. Left foot right foot and a header. Unfortunately never fulfilled his early potential. Looke like he would go on to be a scotland regular but just seemed to fall away after he went down south

MCC Hibs
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Was this game played on a Friday afternoon?

connerg
06-10-2011, 07:55 PM

No, defo Saturday afternoon. Think you are getting mixed up with a game against Falkirk which was played on a weekday afternoon due to the floodlights being demolished in preparation for the new stands. We lost 0-2 btw.

Gareth
06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
He's a car salesman in the west end of Glasgow

KeithTheHibby
06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Scored at Anfield too I think while at Derby.

Great player when he first broke through but as someone rightly said did not go on to the dizzy heights expected.

Mixu62
07-10-2011, 12:17 AM
That Kevin Harper Michael O'Neil goal :top marks

one of the best I've ever seen at easter road.

Yes! In the 2-2 draw with Motherwell. Inch perfect cross for O'Neill's volley.

SteveHFC
07-10-2011, 12:20 AM
One of my favourtie players :not worth

Billy McKirdy
07-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Scored at Anfield too I think while at Derby.

Great player when he first broke through but as someone rightly said did not go on to the dizzy heights expected.

Yup! I mind seeing that one on MOTD, a header IIRC, although it did seem to fortuitously rebound off his napper and into the net :greengrin, his reaction was a joy, he just stood there with his arms aloft with a smile as wide as the Clyde lol, I would love to see that on YouTube one day :thumbsup:

The goal that O'Neill scored against Motherwell from Harpers cross was also another favourite of mines, I was in the centre stand that day and had perfect view :greengrin , a touch out of defence to wee Kevin on the wing and without breaking stride he hit it first time onto the boot of O'Neill who volleyed it perfectly past the Well keeper :wink:, the whole stadium (bar the 200 Well fans) went ballistic :thumbsup: as a previous poster said...one of the best goals EVER at Easter Road :agree:

Future17
07-10-2011, 07:10 AM
There seemed to be a lot of Scottish players that moved south around the same time that Harper did and never established themselves. Doesn't seem to be the case now.

Harper went off the rails and, for a time at least, succumbed to the worst of the demons that footballers seem vulnerable to.

Future17
07-10-2011, 07:21 AM
3-1 at ER when the famous five and dunbar ends were being built. A reduced crowd but another fantastic second half comeback with the winner by a young Kev who celebrated with a smile the length of leith walk, running along the terracing.

No, defo Saturday afternoon. Think you are getting mixed up with a game against Falkirk which was played on a weekday afternoon due to the floodlights being demolished in preparation for the new stands. We lost 0-2 btw.

Yeah, the 3-1 was against Hearts on a Saturday afternoon.

However, there was a 2-0 win against Motherwell at Easter Road on a Wednesday afternoon a couple of weeks before the Falkirk game. Keith Wright got a double for us against Motherwell. John Clark scored the first for Falkirk with a long-range free-kick, can't remember who got the second.

Stevie Reid
07-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah, the 3-1 was against Hearts on a Saturday afternoon.

However, there was a 2-0 win against Motherwell at Easter Road on a Wednesday afternoon a couple of weeks before the Falkirk game. Keith Wright got a double for us against Motherwell. John Clark scored the first for Falkirk with a long-range free-kick, can't remember who got the second.

Coco McDonald I think, lob over Leighton IIRC.

lucky
07-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Harper fell under the spell of chic charnley as such picked up his bad habits. Even after he moved south he would come back to Glasgow to go out with him. He had great potential but never really fulfiled it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Didn't he say something really stupid about how he would pick Real Madrid to play for?

Hibstrooper
07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm more interested to find out if that chap who won the competition to get dreadlocks just like Harper still has them :greengrin

Looked dreadful! Anyone willing to come forward?

Future17
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Didn't he say something really stupid about how he would pick Real Madrid to play for?

Was that not Benji? :greengrin

.Sean.
07-10-2011, 01:57 PM
There seemed to be a lot of Scottish players that moved south around the same time that Harper did and never established themselves. Doesn't seem to be the case now. Harper went off the rails and, for a time at least, succumbed to the worst of the demons that footballers seem vulnerable to.I'm too young to know what Harper was supposedly like off the field, what 'demons'? Drink? Drugs? Gambling?

matty_f
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm too young to know what Harper was supposedly like off the field, what 'demons'? Drink? Drugs? Gambling? Werewolves. :agree:

Future17
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm too young to know what Harper was supposedly like off the field, what 'demons'? Drink? Drugs? Gambling?

Werewolves. :agree:

FACT! :greengrin

He "allegedly" loved a bevvy when at Hibs. His natural ability seemed to carry him through but he was rarely a starter for us when, based on ability, he should probably have been. When he moved to England it caught up with him. Bottom line, he wasn't good/professional enough for Derby or the various other clubs he bounced about.

Ultimately his demons led him to a very unsavoury wife-beating incident which ended his status as any kind of Hibs hero for me.

Chibs
07-10-2011, 08:35 PM
fantastic player but was disliked by his teamates
i heard he was known as billy big boots