PDA

View Full Version : Calerwood's targets for the season

WhileTheChief..
05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
From today's Sun, not seen this posted anywhere. Decent interview I thought.

COLIN CALDERWOOD has demanded his rejuvenated Hibs win a cup and finish in the top four this season.
The Easter Road side have picked up after their disastrous start which saw them rooted to the foot of the SPL table.
Defeat to Rangers at the weekend was their first loss in their last six matches.
But even in his darkest hour bullish boss Caldo insists he's always been optimistic about the campaign ahead.
He said: "We have to get a cup this year. Certainly get to a final, most definitely a semi-final.
"We've got to realistically try for that. We've got to finish in the top four as well.
"Nothing pleases you when you're bottom of the table.
"We'd conceded far too many goals, made some really poor individual mistakes.
"In the first game Graham Stack dropped a ball he would normally punch, catch or clear.
"Almost every game started off with a huge individual mistake which, in essence, put us on the back foot."
Calderwood insists he's never felt the heat from chairman Rod Petrie and reckons his young side will have benefited from their early struggles.
He said: "I don't feel the pressure. I've got a lovely job and I've had no doubts we're heading in the right direction.
"Myself and the chairman have got a straightforward association. We both know where we stand.
"I understand all about the finances at the club and the restrictions that some people perceive that puts us under.
"In reality we're a model for the way a football club and business should be run.
"I enjoy the fact I've got a tremendous amount of young players in my team and I think that's the way forward.
"What I'm buoyed and inspired by is the quality.
"I think we'll peak and trough during the season because of that inexperience. But do I take them out and replace them with journeyman players with more experience?
"I guarantee we would have more points, but it's not the way forward for the club or the young boys.
"Football has a darker side and everyone experiences it. They are getting a very good education at the minute."
Birmingham and Nottingham Forest wanted Calderwood to be their assistant manager at the start of the season.
He added: "Of course there have been question marks placed on me, but no one understood the full story. It was never a great problem to the chairman or the board.
"We've moved forward and we're quite calm about it. We were open and honest with each other and understood exactly where we stood."
The SFA have confirmed they won't be taking any action against Stack for an off-the-ball incident against Rangers.
The keeper was investigated by the compliance officer after claims he'd struck striker Kyle Lafferty during a second-half clash on Saturday, but TV pictures proved inconclusive.

francobaresi
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
As a supporter all I demand is we start winning and get up the league... Big talk, let's see what he delivers...:flag:

Twa Cairpets
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

COLIN CALDERWOOD has demanded his rejuvenated Hibs win a cup and finish in the top four this season.
The Easter Road side have picked up after their disastrous start which saw them rooted to the foot of the SPL table.
Defeat to Rangers at the weekend was their first loss in their last six matches.
But even in his darkest hour bullish boss Caldo insists he's always been optimistic about the campaign ahead.
He said: "We have to get a cup this year. Certainly get to a final, most definitely a semi-final.
"We've got to realistically try for that. We've got to finish in the top four as well.
"In the first game Graham Stack dropped a ball he would normally punch, catch or clear.
"Almost every game started off with a huge individual mistake which, in essence, put us on the back foot."
Calderwood insists he's never felt the heat from chairman Rod Petrie and reckons his young side will have benefited from their early struggles.
He said: "I don't feel the pressure. I've got a lovely job and I've had no doubts we're heading in the right direction.
"Myself and the chairman have got a straightforward association. We both know where we stand.
"I understand all about the finances at the club and the restrictions that some people perceive that puts us under.
"In reality we're a model for the way a football club and business should be run.
"I enjoy the fact I've got a tremendous amount of young players in my team and I think that's the way forward.
"I think we'll peak and trough during the season because of that inexperience. But do I take them out and replace them with journeyman players with more experience?
"I guarantee we would have more points, but it's not the way forward for the club or the young boys.
"Football has a darker side and everyone experiences it. They are getting a very good education at the minute."
Birmingham and Nottingham Forest wanted Calderwood to be their assistant manager at the start of the season.
He added: "Of course there have been question marks placed on me, but no one understood the full story. It was never a great problem to the chairman or the board.
"We've moved forward and we're quite calm about it. We were open and honest with each other and understood exactly where we stood."
The SFA have confirmed they won't be taking any action against Stack for an off-the-ball incident against Rangers.
The keeper was investigated by the compliance officer after claims he'd struck striker Kyle Lafferty during a second-half clash on Saturday, but TV pictures proved inconclusive.

Goosd stuff. Well done CC - happy with that.

SRHibs
05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
:aok: Good to see him coming across in a more positive manner.

blackpoolhibs
05-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Did he specify which cup we are winning this season? Seen us win that league cup thingy 3 times now, would pretty much prefer the other one this time.

greenlex
05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I wont be impressed unless he was stamping his feet and waving his arms about like a lunatic when he was demanding it.

Kato
05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Did he specify which cup we are winning this season? Seen us win that league cup thingy 3 times now, would pretty much prefer the other one this time.

Yes, please.

lucky
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
He reads better than he talks but if he achives his targets we will all be delighted

Craig_in_Prague
05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Would be happy with top 5 finish, at least 1 derby win and a cup semi.
anything more than that, would be lovely.

R'Albin
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Wow that is the mosts quotes I think I've ever read in a Sun article!

That is a good interview, nice to hear a bit of positivity:agree:

Jonnyboy

So decisive :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby

Are we still in the Champions' League? 'Cos that'd be good. :greengrin

Cabbage East
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure this interview is at least a couple of weeks old.

Alfred E Newman
05-10-2011, 08:15 PM

I agree. The we have won the League Cup so many times its becoming boring. Roll on May. :flag: :cgwa

Pedantic_Hibee
05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Do we have a "special relationship" with the League Cup? :wink:

YehButNoBut
05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Quite a strange article as it seems to be just a series of quotes from CC.

However, pretty positive from the boss and at least there are signs that we are making some progress.

Would still be pretty surprised if we are close to the top 4 this season, but the SC is in the bag. :wink:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3853176/Win-cup-and-get-in-top-four.html

Gettin' Auld
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
"We have to get a cup this year. Certainly get to a final, most definitely a semi-final.

That's called "hedging your bets" :greengrin

tomhorn
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
We have got to win a cup this year. Well, we should get to a final at the very least. Yep, a semi final is imperative. OK then, the very, very least we are aiming for is a qaurter final, yep, last 16 of the cup, defo...

yekimevol
06-10-2011, 07:45 PM
if he does it and the cup is the scottish cup he will become and icon for all time !!!!

frazeHFC
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
We are Hibernian! :flag: Can't wait for the 'Well game, especially now GOC can play! :cgwa

Dinkydoo
06-10-2011, 08:25 PM
This is a list of responses to the questions CC was asked in the interview shown at half time during the Aberdeen game on BBC Alba.

Take it that a lazy journo at The Sun has only just watched this on tape, a month later. FFS :faf:

It was a decent interview but after watching the most boring game I think I've ever sat through I had absolutely no desire to mention it on here.

Anyone else watch this?

It was before Zander Diamond's "exclusive" on why he wanted out the dons.

edinburghhibee
08-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Good to read about him being positive, top 4 will be a big ask i think this year but hey a run in either cup and a top 6 finish will be a massive improvement on last year so thats good enough for me.

:flag::cgwa:flag::flag:

R'Albin
08-10-2011, 04:41 AM
It was before Zander Diamond's "exclusive" on why he wanted out the dons.

I remember hearing that interview :tee hee:

Forza Fred
08-10-2011, 09:57 AM
He can talk till the cows come home, but I haven't forgot his 'two bags of sweets'comments.

And I dont care if we play young 11 year olds or journeymen 40 year olds, as long as we win.

Its almost as if he is asking us to accept that we'll always struggle.....but its all right cos we play youngsters.:rolleyes:

Just pick a side that will win Colin, there's a good chap.

I'm sure if you do that often enough you'll get your much sought after move down south again at some point.

Jones28
08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
After winning the league cup in 2007 and the memories it left me with, I dont actually give a toss about what cup we win, the day will be remembered regardless :flag:

PS: because nobody on this board has seen Hibs win the SC, how do we know its not *****£? :greengrin: